Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sat 19 Sep

Dublin Half Marathon 1:37:19 (PB)

The last half marathon effort, Omagh in March, produced a disappointing time (1:41 flat) that I felt didn’t reflect the effort on a very windy day. Annoyingly, it also matched to the second the previous HM performance from Waterford so couldn’t even be claimed as a PB despite what I felt was quite a gutsy effort. :) So it was time to put that right. This time, I’d trained specifically for the HM for the first time, and although I never felt the Pfitzinger & Latter plan got the better of me, I didn’t feel as strong towards the end of it as I have on the previous marathon cycles. The plan didn’t include a single HMP session until a few days ago, and that was only two miles, which I struggled mightily to complete. So I was a little wary of what might be in store today, especially after a poor night’s sleep.

I shouldn’t have worried.

aquinn picked me, Anna and BG up at the front door so it was nice to zone out for a little bit on the drive up to the park as the women chatted their womeny stuff. :pac: I did a FBOT and left the watch at home but luckily remembered in time and got in an early warmup jog back to the house as A turned the car around. We parked up on the North Road and jogged over to the start area, where I left the others to their own devices and did a short 2.5k warmup on Chesterfield. Having committed to a 97:xx time (7:26/mile), I made my way to the front of a packed Wave 2 and lined up with BG and the 1:40 pacers, saying hello to HelenAnne and pacer extraordinaire Killerz. A few minutes after the Wave 1 start we all walked calmly up to the start line. I took a position just in front of the balloons and hoped I wouldn’t be seeing them again until after the race.

The conditions were dry, cool and windless: perfect, in other words. There would be no excuses. When the siren went I started to ease away from the 1:40 group. It was nice to have relatively clear road here for the first mile and I was encouraged to find the early pace very easy (even checked my watch to make sure it hadn’t stopped). The fast first mile down the Kyber felt effortless, then the climb towards the Wellington monument was a reminder not to get carried away. Settled in nicely through the zoo area, starting to catch the back of Wave 1 already. On the North Road, I spied a Clonliffe runner ahead who I remembered from the end of the Frank Duffy and that was my secret pacer sorted out.

Miles 1-3: 7:10 7:40 7:40

First water station was very well organised. Took a few sips from the bottle and that was enough. Was careful not to cut the corner from North Road to Chesterfield this time after aquinn’s admonishment. Pretty congested up to the Castlknock gate as usual and I wasted a bit of energy getting past a few people on the narrow path. Had abandoned my one-gel strategy before the race when I discovered it had fallen out of my pocket and instead took a Lucozade and had a few sips. Was feeling pretty good still, although this started to change as the route continued to climb towards Farmleigh, the highest point on the course.

Miles 4-6: 7:41 7:23 7:29

At this stage the watch had me about 30 seconds behind the desired pace. I knew I’d get some of that back on Tower Hill but resolved to dig in once back in the park. As I’ve noted before, I sometimes lose concentration in the middle third of the race and I wanted to make sure to take advantage of the mostly downhill going for the next few miles. Took as much encouragement as I could from the support from boardsies and other clubmates (and there were many, all of which were highly appreciated). Great shouts from Laura, Firedance and Dubgal as well as a few of the St. Anne’s parkrun crowd. Then unexpectedly I got a shout out from the missus, who unfortunately had abandoned her race. Having established she was OK I trundled on. Passed a couple of flagging clubmates who’d started in Wave 1. This made me feel even stronger and I think I really nailed the Chesterfield stretch, where I’ve often opted to take a bit of a breather in the past. Ultimately that was what made the difference today, I think.

Miles 7-9: 7:16 7:16 7:14

Put in the fastest split of the day (7:01) down to the main gate and by the 10-mile mark on Conyngham Road there was now a bit of time in the bank for the final push. The sun was out though, and things were starting to heat up. To make matter worse, there was an ice cream van at the main gate, but I resisted the temptation and kept it going on the Chapelizod Road, not the most idyllic section of the course. My pacer was still about 25m up ahead looking strong. I kept the distance between us, passing a good few people along this stretch: digging in again, drawing strength from every runner passed. The road seemed endless but at last we were back in the Park for the closing mile and a half. Lost a bit of time on the climb to the Furry Glen but I wasn’t bothered by the hill – an anthill really compared to Croagh Mountain up in Donegal. Was alarmed by some of the breathing around me here but as usual it was a good incentive to get in front of and out of earshot of the wheezy perpetrator.

Miles 10-12: 7:01 7:25 7:50

The last mile of any race always feels like it will never end and this was no exception. HelenAnne went past very convincingly and I tried to stay with her for a while. No dice but it kept me going for another few hundred metres. I wouldn’t catch her but I kept busy picking a few more lads off and not being discouraged by the inevitable Forrest Gumps who always appear out of the woodwork with the amazing sprint finish from nowhere. Forgot about the watch and concentrated on keeping it together for just a few minutes longer. Final turn onto Furze road -- I don’t remember much pain but the dry heaves started just as a FBOT gave me a shout with about 400m to go (just a coincidence, I’m sure). :pac: Kept the breakfast down and mustered up a final push. Two David Corrie lads were holding their hands aloft triumphantly and I managed to take them on the line. :pac:

Miles 13-(13.1): 7:30 (0:44)

In the finish chute I had to grab the barriers and take a moment to compose myself before accepting my medal from AMK. Congratulated HelenAnne and we were soon joined by Bungy Girl, aquinn and others – all very happy with the morning’s work. Perfect conditions for a race, flawless organisation, and lots of PBs. Hats off to all the volunteers and organisers.

5K splits: 23:11 23:33 22:38 23:04 (4:53 - 1.1k)

Previous PB: 1:41:00 (Omagh 2015, Waterford 2014)
    Target: 1:37:xx
    Official time: 1:37:19
    Verdict: As good as it gets.

So that's the goal race done, dusted, and put to bed. A good day out. And as chickey says, the plan works.

WTD: 29 mi (46 km)
    MTD: 92 (48)
    YTD: 1,373 (2,209)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Well done today Murph. Great racing and reporting!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Really good report Murph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super stuff. 1-1. So, when's the decider ;) ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super stuff. 1-1. So, when's the decider ;) ?

I reckon a 10-miler would be fair. Anything shorter, I haven't a hope!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »

there's one in Kilkenny in November.... just sayin!

Firedance wrote: »
    there's one in Kilkenny in November.... just sayin!

Ha ha. Tempting, but no smackdowns until I finish my dissertation. Final push is now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I was going to suggest the 6k cross country mudfest in Santry in November. It feels like ten miles ;)

Good luck with the dissertation first!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ha ha. Tempting, but no smackdowns until I finish my dissertation. Final push is now on.

Is that a geriatric medical procedure, I hope it's not sore :)

Well done yesterday, great run.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Great report. Those 5K splits are very impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great run yesterday. Hard work is paying off.

I had checked the tracker at about 12 o'c yesterday and it had you unofficially at 1:53 which I hoped was incorrect. Maybe it was your gun time?

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Superb run there D. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Delighted to read of your PB yesterday D. That is really superb running. Very impressive 5k splits. Enjoyed the report too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Great running and nice report too - Congrats.

Ferris B wrote: »
    Great run yesterday. Hard work is paying off.

I had checked the tracker at about 12 o'c yesterday and it had you unofficially at 1:53 which I hoped was incorrect. Maybe it was your gun time?

Well done.

Ha - that was the other guy, with the same name as me. He runs St. Annes fairly regularly too. He's listed in race series results as a Crusader because of a glitch. There's a Denise Murphy too. It all gets very confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done D congrats on the pb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done on that run D!
    Have you decided on where you will run sub 1:35 yet??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done! Great running and equally great writing! :)

belcarra wrote: »
    Well done on that run D!
    Have you decided on where you will run sub 1:35 yet??;)

Well, that has to be the new number, doesn't it? I'd take 1:35:59 for a NYC qualifier. Might get a chance in the Boston build-up. Bohermeen maybe? :)

Nice job yourself with the pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

A really great report D and super racing. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Another good day at the office, D. Well executed and reported race and a very well deserved result. I hope you thanked the secret pacer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the PB & great report

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB & great report

Thanks Anne - well done yourself last week in Athlone. :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Another good day at the office, D. Well executed and reported race and a very well deserved result. I hope you thanked the secret pacer too.

Thanks M, when I saw you already dressed and clapping people home on the finishing stretch I knew you must have put in a very good day's work yourself. Lost sight of the pacer in the finish area but I'm sure I'll get a chance to say thanks next time out!

Sun 20 Sep

Recovery 40 mins 6.4 k (4 mi) on the seafront.

First time along the Clontarf seafront in a few weeks, unusually. It's still there and looking good. Just a tiny bit stiff and sore after yesterday, felt good to loosen out, getting a few miles in before the All-Ireland. Not a great game for the neutrals (not that there are ever any neutrals when Dublin are playing). But well done the Dubs.

So that completes the HM cycle. It's been a good 12 weeks. Enjoyed the P&L plan - only skipped one or two of the prescribed runs/sessions, and found it relatively easy to blend it with a few club sessions along the way. If I do it again, I'd probably bump up to the higher mileage version (there are three levels specified in the book). Will take it easy now for a couple of weeks. A friend has asked me to join his company team for a 5k on 1st Oct so I'll do that, but on as fresh a pair of legs as I can manage. Will also be getting in some long runs at 10:40 /mi pace to prep for pacing 4:40 in DCM.

WTD: 33 mi (53 km)
    MTD: 96 (155)
    YTD: 1,377 (2,215)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great race and report Murph, loved the feeling strong throughout bits! Well done :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great race and report Murph, loved the feeling strong throughout bits! Well done :)

Thank YOU for supplying the cattle prod metaphor. It's even better than the magic wand. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thank YOU for supplying the cattle prod metaphor. It's even better than the magic wand. ;)

Haha glad to help just disappointed glad I didn't have to employ the real thing :)

Those finisherpix photos are always terrible, aren't they? This is the only half decent one in my batch, although I've no idea what that guy behind me is doing.

HM2015.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Those finisherpix photos are always terrible, aren't they? This is the only half decent one in my batch, although I've no idea what that guy behind me is doing.

:pac:

Advertisement