Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph_D wrote: »
    How it feels to be hammered by BG at the Lakes:

Lakes1.jpg

Jeez Murph you look like you're crying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Jeez Murph you look like you're crying :(

Trying not to lose my breakfast. Yet minutes later was scoffing muffins. :pac:

Weds 23 Sep

Recovery 9.75 km (6.1 mi)

The HM plan specifies recovery and transition periods of one week each. I'll more or less follow that this week and next. Kicked off with a few recovery miles along the seafront with the Mrs.

Sat 26 Sep

Easy 12.5 km @ 5:34 (7.8 mi @ 8:58)

Skipped Thursday's run and did nothing Friday as quite busy, so feeling quite fresh for this. After some barcode scanning duty at St. Anne's parkrun 2nd birthday event, headed out to Sutton and a mile or so up Howth past St. Fintan's. The plan called for 8x100 strides on this run, but I did 4x90 "hill strides" instead. Felt really good on this run.

Sun 27 Sep

Slow 14.3 km @ 6:11 (8.9 mi @ 9:57)

A bit of a traipse through the Docklands, Ballsbridge and Sandymount. Did a good bit of this at 4:40 marathon pace. Feeling a bit tired and slightly hungover though and didn't enjoy it much.

WTD: 23 mi (37 km)
    MTD: 119 (191)
    YTD: 1,399 (2,252)

Weds 23 Sep

Recovery 9.75 km (6.1 mi)

The HM plan specifies recovery and transition periods of one week each. I'll more or less follow that this week and next. Kicked off with a few recovery miles along the seafront with the Mrs.

Sat 26 Sep

Easy 12.5 km @ 5:34 (7.8 mi @ 8:58)

Skipped Thursday's run and did nothing Friday as quite busy, so feeling quite fresh for this. After some barcode scanning duty at St. Anne's parkrun 2nd birthday event, headed out to Sutton and a mile or so up Howth past St. Fintan's. The plan called for 8x100 strides on this run, but I did 4x90 "hill strides" instead. Felt really good on this run.

Sun 27 Sep

Slow 14.3 km @ 6:11 (8.9 mi @ 9:57)

A bit of a traipse through the Docklands, Ballsbridge and Sandymount. Did a good bit of this at 4:40 marathon pace. Feeling a bit tired and slightly hungover though and didn't enjoy it much.

WTD: 23 mi (37 km)
    MTD: 119 (191)
    YTD: 1,399 (2,252)

Hungover Murph I am shocked I thought you were an elite athlete ! Taking the 2nd birthday Park Run celebrations a bit too far !! :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Hungover Murph I am shocked I thought you were an elite athlete ! Taking the 2nd birthday Park Run celebrations a bit too far !! :)

I don't need much of an excuse - congrats on your award yesterday - very well deserved!

• Advertisement

I don't need much of an excuse - congrats on your award yesterday - very well deserved!

29 Sep

General Aerobic 11km @ 5:42 (6.8 mi @ 9:10)

Pleasant enough run through Glasnevin, Poppintree and Finglas. Feeling reasonably fresh.

Total Sept mileage: 126 (202 kms)

1 Oct

DSD Twilight 5k: 21:43 (PB)

A friend asked me to join his team for this corporate race around the Sandyford Industrial Estate (or Office Park, as I'm sure it would prefer to be called). We all got the Luas out and registered very efficiently at Race HQ, a nice roomy car showroom provided by the main sponsor, Spirit Motors. During a warmup jog around the estate I noted the course had a couple of steepish drags. I'd decided beforehand that it would be rude not to have a go at the PB but that pull up to the Beacon, which would have to be negotiated twice, meant this would not be as straightforward as I'd hoped.

After some half-hearted strides, we lined up at the last minute and then had to wait about 15 mins as the Gardai tried to clear the roads during the famous extended Sandyford rush hour. :rolleyes: That was a bit of a pain but at last we were off. Fairly crowded start and I soon lost team member No. 1, who shot off through the congestion like a hot knife through soft butter. I managed to get some space and covered the first km in 4:06 - a bit fast as I got sucked in after all the waiting around, but everyone seemed to be in the same boat. A lot of corners (12) on the course and I refused to cut them, ploughing a lonely furrow on that front. Annoyingly people would cut the corner and then step back on the road right in front of me, just to rub the salt in. The second guy who did that I just decided to run through him which was a bit of craic. Started to suffer in the second km after the aggressive start but not too bad. Then the beginnings of a stitch at the start of km 3, on the worst part of the 'Beacon drag' -- luckily it never really developed into the full blown version, subsiding fairly quickly (the 2-3 breathing technique seems to be paying dividends). After the hump it was fairly plain sailing for the rest of km 3. I was still paying for going out fast though and the dry retching (sorry folks) started in km 4 - earlier than usual, with well over a mile to go. Had no choice but to ease off a little, although it isn't obvious from the splits so possibly not as bad as I thought. The final km took us up the hill again but I did a bit better the second time around, and there was still enough left for a decent push to the line. Came around what I thought was the final bend like a train only to see a straight stretch of road and yet another turn still to go. That was a bit embarrassing as several people I had barrelled past on the turn ended up passing me again. :o But I still managed to pick it up again and finish out the last 150m or so at a good clip, well under 6min/mile pace - which is just as well because otherwise I wouldn't have managed the 6-second PB.

Splits (km) 4:06 4:21 4:28 4:27 4:21
    Splits (mi) 6:39 7:10 7:18 (0:36)

Happy enough - it was a bit of fun and our aul lad team finished respectably enough in 11th place out of 93. I didn't run well: out too fast and going backwards, or so it felt, for the rest of the race -- exactly the opposite of my experience in the Park last week. I was expecting the PB off the back of the HM training and probably would have gotten a better one if I'd waited another couple of days for a nice flat parkrun somewhere. But them's the breaks! 9th PB of the year, all distances 5k to marathon, some more than once. And it's only October. ;)

Well done DSD on the organisation. The traffic problem probably can't be helped, and this race might benefit from a later start. Great spread of tea, quite posh sandwiches and plenty of custard creams afterwards, much to the particular delight of one of my teammates. Not sure if this is a new event or not but it looks like it has a future.

Previous PB: 21:49 (parkrun St. Anne's, Dec 2014)
    Target: 21:30
    Result: 21:43 (94th place, 2nd scorer, 11th place team)
    Verdict: Twill do.

WTD: 11 mi (18 km)
    MTD: 4 (7)
    YTD: 1,411 (2,270)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nice PB on what sounds like a messy enough course. More to come off that before the year is out for sure. Congrats on the PB streak too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice going, love your injection of craic into the race :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Nice PB on what sounds like a messy enough course. More to come off that before the year is out for sure. Congrats on the PB streak too!

+1 to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

.......... 9th PB of the year, all distances 5k to marathon, some more than once. And it's only October. ;) ..........

Not to shabby for an Aulfella ;)

Nice going Murph I am impressed.....sub 21:30 in St Anne's or Poppintree on Sat 17th would tune you up nicely for your DCM Pacing duties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So proud of sticking with the course D. Yay, new PB. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done D, nice going. More to come off that though i'm sure.

Fri 2 Oct

Meant to do a short recovery run today but it just didn't happen.

Sat 3 Oct

LSR 20 mi @ 9:50 (32.2 km @ 6:07) inc. Fr Collins parkrun.

Headed out early this morning up the coast and into Donaghmede for the inaugural Fr. Collins parkrun. Met a few people I recognise from passing on the seafront and all were in friendly, nod and wave moods. Was trying to do 4:40 MP in advance of the DCM pacing gig and although I started out nice and slow I found it really difficult to stick to this pace. I was glad to eventually get to the parkrun where I'd have a bit of an excuse to speed up a little. For 4k I followed 25 min pacer extraordinaire Richie from St. Anne's who did a wonderful job shouting out splits and bringing people along. FBOT was there too helping out with his unparalleled funnel management skillz. The spirit of parkrun never ceases to amaze me, it's such a fantastic example of human positivity and community spirit. Ironically this run passes the Priory Hall housing complex, the developers of which (and those who regulate them) embody the exact opposite, the darker side of human greed and incompetent negligence. :mad: Brought me back to earth pretty quickly...

Ah well. Lovely park, nice course if a little complicated. A pleasure to be part of their first outing. After some pleasantries I plodded back the way I came, completing the 20 miles with a couple of laps of Fairview Park, which seemed to take as long as the rest of the run. Legs a bit sore as they haven't been asked to carry me that far for a good few months now. Probably should not be doing a 20 miler 2 days after a race but hopefully I'll get away with it.

WTD: 31 mi (50km)
    MTD: 24 (39)
    YTD: 1,431 (2,302)

:pac:Sun 4 Oct

40 mins recovery.

Unlike yesterday I had no problem hitting the pace for these few miles along the seafront while the dinner was magically getting itself ready back home. :pac:

Earlier we had spent a very enjoyable couple of hours in the Phoenix Park watching the Dublin Novice cross country race - it was a warm afternoon and I was highly impressed at the effort levels from everyone involved, well done. Met plenty of boardsies past and present which is always a pleasure.

WTD: 35 mi (57 km)
    MTD: 29 (46)
    YTD: 1,435 (2,308)

Tue 6 Oct

GA 12.1k @ 5:43 (7.5 mi @ 9:09)

Down to Drumcondra where I met up with FBOT for some wet and windy miles out to Dollymount and back. Plenty of chat about this and that, and of course next year's Boston adventure. Good to see that M is back in business after the recent difficulties.

WTD: 8 mi (12 km)
    MTD: 36 (58)
    YTD: 1,442 (2,320)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Tue 6 Oct

GA 12.1k @ 5:43 (7.5 mi @ 9:09)

Down to Drumcondra where I met up with FBOT for some wet and windy miles out to Dollymount and back. Plenty of chat about this and that, and of course next year's Boston adventure. Good to see that M is back in business after the recent difficulties.

WTD: 8 mi (12 km)
    MTD: 36 (58)
    YTD: 1,442 (2,320)

It will take many more miles to plan that one, D. Enjoyed the run despite the conditions. Thanks for the company.

Wed 6 Oct

General Aerobic 13.16 km @ 5:40 (8.2 mi @ 9:06)

I've decided to slot into Week -8 of the P&L Faster Road Running 5k plan (45-55mpw). Although having to stuff in the DCM 26.2 mile "easy run" and recovery will no doubt compromise it somewhat. Maybe this isn't a great idea? Anyway tonight's outing felt good. Nice 8-mile loop through Raheny, which got me thinking of the Raheny 5, which I've still only managed to do once. Hopefully will get there again in Jan.

Thu 7 Oct

Speed 2 sets 5x200 (200 jog recovery) 4 mins btwn sets
    Tot 13.4 km @ 5:53 (8.3 2 9:28)

This is what the plan called for and I honestly set out to just do the mileage, not the speed work. But when I hit Tolka Valley Park I decided to stride it out for a few of the reps and ended up doing the whole thing. The plan called for "mile race pace", but I hadn't a clue what that was supposed to feel like so I just guessed at it. The route is fairly flat but some reps were partly uphill (including the sharp rise to the canal at Ashtown - you can probably figure out which one that is). :p

Splits:

42 45 48 46 45
    61 43 43 46 44

(Avg 46.3)

Checked afterwards and apparently mile pace for me is about 6:10, which equates to a 200m split of 46 secs, so that'll do.

WTD: 24 mi (39 km)
    MTD: 53 (85)
    YTD: 1,459 (2,347)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I've just finished off my own plan for the next few months which similarly to yourself involve 5km training all the way up to the end of January and the Raheny 5.
    I even have a little marathon-sized bump in my plan in a couple of weeks also!

Where did you source P&L from? Online or hard copy?
    My plan is more of a make it up yourself type plan whereby I'll have to keep a close eye on things as I have a Tempo session, a short interval session, a long interval session and an MLR most weeks.
    Hoping to do some serious damage to my 5k once DCM is out if the way!
    Winter%202015(s).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I see you say you're no accountant on the precision timing thread.

You sure??
    I've decided to slot into Week -8 of the P&L Faster Road Running 5k plan

:pac:

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I see you say you're no accountant on the precision timing thread.

You sure??

:pac:

Had to think about that for a moment til I got it so yes, I'm sure!

belcarra wrote: »
    I've just finished off my own plan for the next few months which similarly to yourself involve 5km training all the way up to the end of January and the Raheny 5.
    I even have a little marathon-sized bump in my plan in a couple of weeks also!

Where did you source P&L from? Online or hard copy?
    My plan is more of a make it up yourself type plan whereby I'll have to keep a close eye on things as I have a Tempo session, a short interval session, a long interval session and an MLR most weeks.
    Hoping to do some serious damage to my 5k once DCM is out if the way!
    Winter%202015(s).jpg

Thanks J, some good looking sessions in there. I bought a kindle version of the P&L book. Used it for the recent HM and it went ok so I'm thinking of using a P&D marathon approach in the new year too - have always been a bit wary of P&D as a lot of people around here have burned out on it, esp people still relatively new to the game, but maybe I've learned enough to give it a go. Would
    also like to get the 5k down a bit more, the 8 week plan is to being it up to the Jingle Bells but will be trying to get some club sessions in too so won't be following it too rigorously! Good luck with your own quest. See you've been assigned a DCM pacing slot at last!

See you've been assigned a DCM pacing slot at last!

:pac::pac::pac:
    Anto finally offered a deal I could accept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You must be a hard bargainer :P

By the way belcarra, I notice a lot of sessions there based on 830m reps. What's the logic behind that distance?

menoscemo wrote: »
    You must be a hard bargainer :P

Better than me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I've decided to slot into Week -8 of the P&L Faster Road Running 5k plan (45-55mpw).

Interesting.....I will spy take a keen interest in this :D. Festive smackdown at Jingle Bells ;) ?
    Nice 8-mile loop through Raheny, which got me thinking of the Raheny 5, which I've still only managed to do once. Hopefully will get there again in Jan.

How did that happen :confused: Best race on the calendar and only down the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Better than me anyway!

I know you had your eyes on that coveted 5hr slot Murph but sometimes you got to take what you can get :p
    (in fairness to BC he paid his dues by doing that slot a few years ago)

By the way belcarra, I notice a lot of sessions there based on 830m reps. What's the logic behind that distance?

Sorry D, that's just the length of a lap of an industrial estate close to me! If I do that on a track I'll just take it as 800m instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So... What time are you pacing? Or do I have to hack into the super secret pacers forum to find out?

Advertisement