Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

BQ or Bust!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    So... What time are you pacing? Or do I have to hack into the super secret pacers forum to find out?

Look aquinn, anna has a way in :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yeah I think Murph'd better watch his device...unless she's using other wiles?! :eek: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Firedance wrote:
    Look aquinn, anna has a way in

So I didn't have to run 14 miles I can just break into their house. Hmmn. Anna, will be down for breakfast. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Interesting.....I will spy take a keen interest in this :D. Festive smackdown at Jingle Bells ;) ?

How did that happen :confused: Best race on the calendar and only down the road!

Well I plan to do it but not faster than you. It's too short! Re Raheny, injury and travel have got in the way the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well I plan to do it but not faster than you. It's too short! Re Raheny, injury and travel have got in the way the last two years.

Have you ever trained specifically for a 5K though ? I'd say it'll be interesting. The faux rivalry will keep FBOT happy anyway, and you never know we might both land ourselves a PB again :D

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Have you ever trained specifically for a 5K though ? I'd say it'll be interesting. The faux rivalry will keep FBOT happy anyway, and you never know we might both land ourselves a PB again :D

No, haven't ever done a 5k plan but I think this one will be too interrupted by DCM to be very effective. Good to have some sort of schedule though.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Yeah I think Murph'd better watch his device...unless she's using other wiles?! :eek: :o

Leave me to my own devices. :pac:

Fri 9 Oct

Rest.

Sat 10 Oct

40 mins recovery

Did some barcode scanning at Poppintree parkrun and then headed out for a few miles at recovery pace. Decided to stay mostly within the confines of Fairview Park for this one. As this is my local park I tend to overlook it, seeing it as somewhere you pass through on the way to the more glamorous surroundings of Clontarf or the Docklands and D4. :) Ran the perimeter a couple of times, and a smaller loop around the GAA fields, laying down a couple of strava segments to make Fairview Park running a bit more interesting in the future.

Sun 9 Oct

LSR 25 km @ 6:38 (15.6 mi @10:41)

Joined A for her LSR which matched pretty closely my upcoming DCM pace. We headed up the Royal Canal and over to the Park, doing a circuit, mostly on the trails. Diverted up to the magazine fort and did a lap of last week's XC course which was an eye opener, can see how it would be tough going at race pace. Beautiful morning/afternoon for it. Noticed plenty of "expect traffic delays" signs up on the Park gates already, so the DCM preps are in motion.

WTD: 44 mi (71 km)
    MTD: 73 (117)
    YTD: 1,479 (2,379)

Mon 12 Oct

Rest. Itching to run but I resisted.

Tue 13 Oct

Club session: 3x800 (90), 3x600 (75), 3x300 (60).
    Total 15.4 km (9.6 mi)

Ran over to Irishtown, bumping into Helenanne on the way and stopping for a brief hello. Haven't been to a club session for a while and the place was jammed, great atmosphere for a good session. After a few warmup laps and some strides, the session was called. Not one I've done before. The watch died at this point so I have no splits but must say I've never felt as strong and comfortable during a track session. Absolutely all over it from the beginning and didn't flag really until the last 300. Don't know why exactly, just felt great all day and on the way over and during it. Take em' when you get 'em. Couple of cooldown laps with aquinn, where I heard all about her many upcoming holidays. :pac: Then home through gangs of kids collecting tyres for the halloween bonfires. There must be a boom in the tyre business at the moment, seems to be no shortage of used merchandise, still with plenty of tread by all appearances. :P

WTD: 10 mi (15 km)
    MTD: 82 (132)
    YTD: 1,488 (2,395)

Wed 14 Oct

40 mins recovery around Glasnevin including Albert College and Johnstown Parks.

Thu 15 Oct

6.5 km @ 5:21 (4 mi@ 8:36)

Time was short and I headed for the treadmill but at the last minute changed my mind and went to Albert College Park. After a warmup lap I decided I'd try to do 15-20 mins at tempo pace (4:30/km) by feel. Didn't look at the watch except at the splits. Delighted with the first one at 4:28. The second felt faster but the split was 4:52. Split the difference on the third km (4:44) then pulled the plug after another 500m @ 4:40 pace, and jogged the rest of the way round the park to cool down. Looks like I'm not ready to ditch the watch yet. :)

WTD: 18 mi (28 km)
    MTD: 90 (145)
    YTD: 1,496 (2,408)

• Advertisement

Fri 16 Oct

Cross training: my brother was looking for some company on a cycle so i joined him for a 32 km round trip out to Howth and up to the summit car park.

Sat 17 Oct

St. Anne’s parkrun 21:13 (PB)

Had been planning to do this all week but after yesterday’s cycle the legs were feeling a bit dead and I almost cancelled. But I headed out in the end and did a short but bracing enough warmup. Wasn’t wearing my glasses so I decided in advance not to bother squinting at the watch. Didn’t get a good spot in the lineup and the siren went before I could move a bit closer to the front so the first km was pretty congested. By the time I got out of the crowd, at the start of the back straight, I was breathing pretty well but the legs still felt a bit rubbery. Held my own through the second km passing a few runners. In the third km halfway down the straight I passed N, a strong runner I normally wouldn’t be close to. I’d been chatting to him beforehand though and knew he’d been injured so wasn’t sure if this was as good a sign as it appeared. A bit short of halfway the timekeeper called the split and I though I was hearing things when he said 10:16.

Into lap two and what always feels like the hardest part of the course for me, the early part of the lap when you pass where the car is parked: it seems like a long way to go and it would be so easy to just stop. But the car keys were back at the start area so no choice but to plough on. :D No one was overtaking and I got settled in behind a tall guy in a green shirt. After a bit I decided he wasn’t going fast enough and went past. Now into the fourth km and I started to really feel it, with a few dry heaves. I’d skipped breakfast and wasn’t too alarmed about this, but had no choice but to slow a little and was passed for the first time since early in lap one by a guy in a black shirt. I didn’t let him away though and settled in behind, despite the continuing dry retches, which thankfully receded by the end of km 4. At last we were on the long home straight. Another black shirt came up from behind so now there was a little group of three of us, and the pace picked up a notch. Black Shirt 1 was having none of Black Shirt 2’s surge and pushed ahead. I managed to stay with him as we burned off the third guy. With about 100 to go I tried to push past, but he responded well and burst for the line. It was all I needed for a strong finish and the two of us went for it. I didn’t catch him but I enjoyed the pursuit.

Looking at the splits later it certainly was a bit uneven but I’m delighted with the time, which is a 30-second PB and brings my 5k time nicely in line with other results this year.

Splits: (km)

4:24 4:11 4:07 4:25 4:06

Splits: (mi) (approx)

6:57 6:49 6:51 (0:36)

Previous PB: 21:43 (Twilight Challenge, Oct 2015)
    Target: 21:30
    Official time: 21:13
    Verdict: Delighted.

WTD: 21 mi (35 km)
    MTD: 94 (151)
    YTD: 1,500 (2,414)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great running Murph, well done.

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

brilliant :) well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Fantastic result! Well done:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Well done Murph on the new pb! Lovely way to kick-start the weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Nice one Murph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

As long as it didn't interfere with your inner metronome for the 4:30 pacing group pace :mad:

Only joking, great chunk to knock off, congrats! Sub 21 in Jingle Bells?

My money's still on BG ;)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    As long as it didn't interfere with your inner metronome for the 4:30 pacing group pace :mad:

Only joking, great chunk to knock off, congrats! Sub 21 in Jingle Bells?

My money's still on BG ;)

That would be the wiser bet for sure, DG.

Ha - felt a blowout would be good ahead of DCM. Sure I'll just use ultraman's metronome if my own is malfunctioning. :) Was trying out the pacer gear today so the omens are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice PB! Good to know you've got a bit of extra speed just in case pacing is a bit off next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done Murph, good to finish strong too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Nice racing D, very well done sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Excellent stuff D - Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Nicely done D! Enjoy that beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Nicely done D! Enjoy that beer :)

Not too many now Murph !

Yes Madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Super D, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Nice going, D.

Sun 18 Oct

Recovery 5 mi (8km)

Chilly enough morning; went out for a five mile jaunt recovery run through the north inner city. Lots of Sunday morning stuff going on, and Saturday night stuff still going on. Nice and slow, and a few miles at 10:16 pace for the 26th.

WTD: 26 mi (44 km)
    MTD: 99 (159)
    YTD: 1,505 (2,422)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done on the 5k PB Denis!
    I foresee a repeat of your 2014 PB at the end of the year in St. Anne's to go Sub 22 21!
    Pencil it in!;)

Also, was the beer tasty?
    There is an Oktoberfest in Swords the weekend after DCM...perfect little reward for your pacing efforts!

Advertisement