Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sun 18 Oct

Recovery 5 mi (8km)

Chilly enough morning; went out for a five mile jaunt recovery run through the north inner city. Lots of Sunday morning stuff going on, and Saturday night stuff still going on. Nice and slow, and a few miles at 10:16 pace for the 26th.

WTD: 26 mi (44 km)
    MTD: 99 (159)
    YTD: 1,505 (2,422)

Hmmn, still think you are too fast for 4:30. Did UM not post on the FB questions that you are running 10:17 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Always happy to run with you J, but I think Jingle Bells will be my last 5k of the year in terms of racing anyway. If you're doing it you can try to drag me in! ;)

An Oktoberfest that stretches into November? Only in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

An Oktoberfest that stretches into November? Only in Ireland!
    Well, if the German's are allowed do it in September...!:pac:

aquinn wrote: »
    Hmmn, still think you are too fast for 4:30. Did UM not post on the FB questions that you are running 10:17 :D

Haven't been briefed yet but I thought the idea was to get in about 30 secs before the deadline (or at least have a few secs to turn around and shout the last few over the line)! Anyway UM will make the call, if he wants 10:17 that's what he'll get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Haven't been briefed yet but I thought the idea was to get in about 30 secs before the deadline (or at least have a few secs to turn around and shout the last few over the line)! Anyway UM will make the call, if he wants 10:17 that's what he'll get!

Don't follow UM1 Murph. He has a history of coming in 10 seconds late :P

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't follow UM1 Murph. He has a history of coming in 10 seconds late :P

:eek: Valuable info, thanks. :pac:

Mon 19 Oct

Rest.

Tue 20 Oct

More rest.

Wed 21 Oct

Very easy 10.1 km @ 6:07 (6.3 mi @ 9:50). Not quite slow enough for DCM Monday, but getting there. :)

Thu 22 Oct

MP 5 Mi @ 10:16 (8 km @ 6:23). That's more like it, right on the money now. You can't accuse me of under preparing. :pac:

WTD: 11 mi (18 km)
    MTD: 110 (178)
    YTD: 1,517 (2,440)

Fri 23 Oct

Rest.

Sat 24 Oct

More rest. Expo pacer stand duty with meno. Enjoyable couple of hours. The passers-by love the balloons, especially the European visitors -- they must have no helium on the mainland. No, we have no pace bands today. :)

Sun 25 Oct

3 mi @ 10:13 (4.8 km @ 6:21)

Last little warmup before DCM. Off soon to pacer dinner - hopefully can survive unscathed.

WTD: 14 mi (23 km)
    MTD: 113 (182)
    YTD: 1,520 (2,445)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck tomorrow D, bring em home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

dfiu oldtimer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Best of luck with the pacing duties Murph. Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Fri 23 Oct

Rest.

Sat 24 Oct

More rest. Expo pacer stand duty with meno. Enjoyable couple of hours. The passers-by love the balloons, especially the European visitors -- they must have no helium on the mainland. No, we have no pace bands today. :)

Sun 25 Oct

3 mi @ 10:13 (4.8 km @ 6:21)

Last little warmup before DCM. Off soon to pacer dinner - hopefully can survive unscathed.

WTD: 14 mi (23 km)
    MTD: 113 (182)
    YTD: 1,520 (2,445)

Home by 9 Murph !

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Home by 9 Murph !

Ha ha, of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Good luck with the job tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Good luck tomorrow, D. Hope you have a great day with loads of happy punters in tow....ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck bringing a gang of happy novices home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Yes good luck to you too tomorrow D :) have a blast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow D, no doubt you'll do an excellent job bringing runners to there goal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hopefully I'll NOT see you until the pub, enjoy the run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Enjoy the pacing gig Murph.
    Will probably see you at some stage.

• Advertisement

Perfect Pacing D, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

On the money D. Brilliant work. You looked fresh as a daisy when I saw you on Northumberland rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph thanks so much for the support yesterday you were great getting us across the line thanks again.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Murph thanks so much for the support yesterday you were great getting us across the line thanks again.

Thanks A, a pity to lose you (and a few others) on the hill. You did very well to hang in there and finish the way you did.

Mon 26 Oct

Dublin Marathon: 26.2 mi @ 10:17 (42.2 km @ 6:24)

Hugely enjoyable day pacing 4:30 in blustery conditions, with Alison and Anto (Ultraman1). Between the three of us I think we managed a nice consistent pace, allowing a little leeway for undulations and the considerable tailwinds and headwinds on different parts of the course. A few of the novices introduced themselves before the off and ran just ahead of us - I didn't notice any of them dropping back so hopefully they all got the numbers they wanted. Mrs Mc came up alongside in the Park and was with us all the way to Roebuck, cheered on by FBOT at various points of the course. He even ran alongside and refilled her drinks bottle in Terenure village, such wonderful service! Inevitably runners started dropping off the group from about 20 miles, although a good few of them pushed on too, which was great to see. The balloons were a challenge in the windy conditions - Anto's was gone by Crumlin, and I lost mine to a sharp edged road sign at the UCD flyover. Luckily Alison's held together so we were not completely invisible for the final stretch. We picked up quite a few people in the last couple of miles and although many of them were struggling a good few managed to hang on for a decent finish so well done to all.

Terrific support on the course, every shout was appreciated by pacers and pacees alike. Great to see so many boardsies out marshalling and supporting, kudos to all.

WTD: 26 mi (42 km)
    MTD: 140 (225)
    YTD: 1,546 (2,487)

Some interesting ruminations over on the marathon novice thread about taking a break.

Got me thinking. I think that's what i'm going to do over the next couple of weeks at least. Have stuff to do including a trip abroad where there are some parkrun tourism options but my schedule rules them out too. So you know what, it's time to do nothing for a couple of weeks before getting in a few easy runs and maybe a session or two before a nice fresh Jingle Bells. No pressure there anyway as I already did a good 5k a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be arsed in the slightest about bettering that, downhill course or not.

When I think of it, I haven't taken more than 2 days off now for well over a year, so it's time to recharge the ancient aul batteries.

Over and out till then, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Scheduled rest always better than enforced! Sounds like a good plan, you'll be chomping at the bit to run after a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Sounds like a good plan. Those ancient aul batteries will need to be fully charged for the Boston Adventure....24 weeks from Monday :)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. Those ancient aul batteries will need to be fully charged for the Boston Adventure....24 weeks from Monday :)

:eek::eek::eek: Is that all? Jaypers...

• Advertisement

Well D, how's the break going? One week in and having a ball?

As a successful user of the meno plan and for Cork I've questions if you don't mind.

If I count back 17 weeks it has week one, day one on Jan 1st. JANUARY 1ST like! Anyway as one who is on holidays from the 2-9 Jan and missing all of week 12 and some of week 11 would you advise going with it anyway or alternatively stick with the club for Tuesday sessions anyway and Long run Sunday with the club and make up the rest of the miles or is this too lax? Also what races did you do in the lead up to Cork?

Many thanks and you missed 12*400 last night with 30 second break.

Advertisement