Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

aquinn wrote: »
    Many thanks and you missed 12*400 last night with 30 second break.

I'd say he's glad he missed that! I know I am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I don't know what calendar you're looking at but Cork 2016 is June 6th so would see a 17-week plan commence on February 8th, so your January hols are outside the window. If you're going to miss a week, why not start 18 weeks ahead (i.e. Feb 1st) to give yourself a little leeway. The week (and a bit) off in the middle won't do you much harm, but the extra week means you won't miss (m)any of the key sessions.

Re the sessions, whenever I was doing this plan I found the midweek sessions to be not very compatible with the club marathon sessions, and I tended to favour the plan over the club stuff (although no harm in the odd swap out). It's not certain that the club will have anything specific on at that time anyway as most of the club folks do a spring marathon so James usually tries to combine plans around London/Rotterdam/Boston. So you might end up doing the session on your own anyway! Or there's nothing to stop you joining the marathon group but doing your own thing anyway - the group tends to fragment into smaller groups at different paces. Or you could just do the speed session instead the odd time instead of what's on the plan (wouldn't do this too often though as the midweek MP-based sessions are important).

Doing the long run with club on the Sunday is ideal: good to have the company and you can always start or leave earlier if your mileage is different to everyone else's. I only did a couple of club long runs myself this year but would have done more if I'd been more flexible.

Race-wise, these were the races during the marathon training block (started on 2nd Feb 2015):

Bundoran 10 mile (14 Mar)
    Omagh HM (28 Mar)
    Terenure 5 (17 May)

I think the Terenure race was ideally placed 2 weeks before but only cos I hadn't raced for a while at that point. The 10 mile and HM were a bit too early in the cycle but I'd had a very solid winter so I was ready for them. I found this interfered a good bit with the plan though. Ideally a race-series type progression might be more compatible, as the plan is built around the race series: HM 4-5 weeks out (early May?), 10 mile 4 weeks before that (early April?), 10k 4 weeks before that (early March?), 5 mile 4 weeks before that (early Feb?)...

I'm enjoying my little break - hardly missing the runs at all it, has to be said. I'm pretty lazy at heart. But I might do a parkrun at the weekend all the same. :)

12x400 sounds like fun. Don't think I've done that one before. I'm sure you nailed it!

Enjoy the training. Good that you're thinking about it well in advance, that bodes well.

EDIT: 12x400 last July, turned out that was your first club session - what an introduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

There's also a 10k in bundoran on the same day in March! Come to Bundoran, it's a good one, great spread afterwards and nice shirt too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

annapr wrote: »
    There's also a 10k in bundoran on the same day in March! Come to Bundoran, it's a good one, great spread afterwards and nice shirt too!

Bundoran.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Murph_D wrote: »
    I don't know what calendar you're looking at but Cork 2016 is June 6th so would see a 17-week plan commence on February 8th, so your January hols are outside the window. If you're going to miss a week, why not start 18 weeks ahead (i.e. Feb 1st) to give yourself a little leeway. The week (and a bit) off in the middle won't do you much harm, but the extra week means you won't miss (m)any of the key sessions.

Re the sessions, whenever I was doing this plan I found the midweek sessions to be not very compatible with the club marathon sessions, and I tended to favour the plan over the club stuff (although no harm in the odd swap out). It's not certain that the club will have anything specific on at that time anyway as most of the club folks do a spring marathon so James usually tries to combine plans around London/Rotterdam/Boston. So you might end up doing the session on your own anyway! Or there's nothing to stop you joining the marathon group but doing your own thing anyway - the group tends to fragment into smaller groups at different paces. Or you could just do the speed session instead the odd time instead of what's on the plan (wouldn't do this too often though as the midweek MP-based sessions are important).

Doing the long run with club on the Sunday is ideal: good to have the company and you can always start or leave earlier if your mileage is different to everyone else's. I only did a couple of club long runs myself this year but would have done more if I'd been more flexible.

Race-wise, these were the races during the marathon training block (started on 2nd Feb 2015):

Bundoran 10 mile (14 Mar)
    Omagh HM (28 Mar)
    Terenure 5 (17 May)

I think the Terenure race was ideally placed 2 weeks before but only cos I hadn't raced for a while at that point. The 10 mile and HM were a bit too early in the cycle but I'd had a very solid winter so I was ready for them. I found this interfered a good bit with the plan though. Ideally a race-series type progression might be more compatible, as the plan is built around the race series: HM 4-5 weeks out (early May?), 10 mile 4 weeks before that (early April?), 10k 4 weeks before that (early March?), 5 mile 4 weeks before that (early Feb?)...

I'm enjoying my little break - hardly missing the runs at all it, has to be said. I'm pretty lazy at heart. But I might do a parkrun at the weekend all the same. :)

12x400 sounds like fun. Don't think I've done that one before. I'm sure you nailed it!

Enjoy the training. Good that you're thinking about it well in advance, that bodes well.

EDIT: 12x400 last July, turned out that was your first club session - what an introduction!

D, how fantastic are you. Thanks so much. Lucky I don't work with dates and numbers every day then :eek:. I keep all sessions on a spreadsheet and I thought that was the first time I'd done 12*400, hmmn.

I wasn't even considering the marathon sessions and just thought I'd be able to use the current Tuesday session as my session? Looking at the plan though they are much longer runs so that's not going to work either. I can't do them on a Wed anyway as per the original plan as I've a course.

So if I work back from the Sunday, where hopefully I'll have club company, I then need two rest/easy days before a session or MLR? Sorry & thanks.
    annapr wrote: »

A T-SHIRT! Hadn't even considered new possibilities, how exciting!

• Advertisement

So if I work back from the Sunday, where hopefully I'll have club company, I then need two rest/easy days before a session or MLR?

Well that would be ideal but in practice it doesn't always work out. The plan has the session/MLR on weds but I don't think it's a big issue to move it to the Tue or Thu. I certainly did this regularly. When you get to the really challenging long runs and MLRs you'd obviously try to build in as much recovery time as you can. A lot of marathon training seems to be about getting your body accustomed to performing while relatively fatigued, so just be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well that would be ideal but in practice it doesn't always work out. The plan has the session/MLR on weds but I don't think it's a big issue to move it to the Tue or Thu. I certainly did this regularly. When you get to the really challenging long runs and MLRs you'd obviously try to build in as much recovery time as you can. A lot of marathon training seems to be about getting your body accustomed to performing while relatively fatigued, so just be sensible.
    Cool so let me know how your calendar looks and we'll work around that :P

Cool so let me know how your calendar looks and we'll work around that :P

Absolutely, always happy to be sociable, despite appearances to the contrary. :pac:

The calendar will be a bit Boston-centric but that can be worked around too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

yep I hope that's ok too as I moved all my Wednesday stuff to Thursday to 'have company'. If it doesn't work out though I'm prepared to move it back and run home from work on a Wednesday eve. Have some options or know what your back up plan is going to be Aoife.

Tues, Weds, Thurs are all fine I think for MLR/session. Still plenty of time to recover before/after Sun morning LR.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    yep I hope that's ok too as I moved all my Wednesday stuff to Thursday to 'have company'. If it doesn't work out though I'm prepared to move it back and run home from work on a Wednesday eve. Have some options or know what your back up plan is going to be Aoife.

That's fine especially if doing the Long Run on a Sunday, if moving the mideweek MLR session to Tuesday, I'd tend to do the Long run on a Friday or Saturday but not Sunday.

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's fine especially if doing the Long Run on a Sunday, if moving the mideweek MLR session to Tuesday, I'd tend to do the Long run on a Friday or Saturday but not Sunday.

Would you say Sun morning LR, Tues night MLR/session is OK - contributes an extra half day recovery over say Sun morning/tue morning?

(Although sleep is important for recovery too, of course).

Would you say Sun morning LR, Tues night MLR/session is OK - contributes an extra half day recovery over say Sun morning/tue morning?

(Although sleep is important for recovery too, of course).

Not ideal but it might be ok. Id imagine with a standard long run with no funny stuff it'd be ok, but a long run with lots of MP sections might leave you too fatigued.
    Tbh if you were recovering well and consistently from that schedule you might do well to add an extra session in on a Thursday to boost further improvement. I wouldn't do that if you were a 'graduate' though i.e. coming off a novice marathon schedule, but I think you could manage it Murph ;)

Not ideal but it might be ok. Id imagine with a standard long run with no funny stuff it'd be ok, but a long run with lots of MP sections might leave you too fatigued.
    Tbh if you were recovering well and consistently from that schedule you might do well to add an extra session in on a Thursday to boost further improvement. I wouldn't do that if you were a 'graduate' though i.e. coming off a novice marathon schedule, but I think you could manage it Murph ;)

Interesting idea, might consider that alright. What kind of session would you recommend for the Thurs night? Must update your plan with all these exciting new additions. :)

Interesting idea, might consider that alright. What kind of session would you recommend for the Thurs night? Must update your plan with all these exciting new additions. :)

In your case I'd tend to probably just do a little of whatever speed work your club are doing. I could sit here and pretend that you need to specifically do x y or z but in reality it's not that complicated IMO.

Just don't flog yourself if you are gonna add in a Thursday club session. Again I am directing this directly at you and not others who are thinking of using this plan for the first time. That's the problem with generic plans, they don't suit all people as they are all coming from different bases.

The beauty of the Graduate group when we used this plan was that they were pretty much all at the same experience level so a generic plan in that instance worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Have used Meno's plan a couple of times with good results. First time as a graduate I followed it more or less to the letter and added some mileage. Second time round I had joined a club & did the club session Tuesday night, Meno's session Thursday & long run Sunday. Getting towards the end of the plan when Meno's sessions were getting longer & the long run had pace miles included I dropped the club session a couple of times.

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Have used Meno's plan a couple of times with good results. First time as a graduate I followed it more or less to the letter and added some mileage. Second time round I had joined a club & did the club session Tuesday night, Meno's session Thursday & long run Sunday. Getting towards the end of the plan when Meno's sessions were getting longer & the long run had pace miles included I dropped the club session a couple of times.

Yeah, I was thinking of yourself when I made the above suggestions. I think Murph is at the stage where he could adopt this approach.

I'd like to think that the best thing about this plan is to teach athletes to plan a little for themselves and find out what does and does not work for them individually. So a little bit of that old zen advice 'listen to your body' is appropriate here murph.

I'd like to think that the best thing about this plan is to teach athletes to plan a little for themselves and find out what does and does not work for them individually. So a little bit of that old zen advice 'listen to your body' is appropriate here murph.

Ah here, I prefer to just be told what to do! So much simpler.:P

Sun 8 Nov

OK, back on the roads…

Easy 10.5 km @ 5:29 (6.5 mi @ 8:49)

Drizzly, wintry but exhilarating few miles around town. Nice and fresh after 11 days of no running. Legs fine, breathing a little harder than usual, but nothing else to indicate the layoff. Picked up to close enough to MP along the boardwalk as there were few people around to get in the way. Very enjoyable.

WTD: 7 mi (11 km)
    MTD: 7 (11)
    YTD: 1,552 (2,498)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Ah here, I prefer to just be told what to do! So much simpler.:P

Yeah I was just thinking that's obviously where I went wrong! With the plan, I hasten to add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Drizzly, wintry but exhilarating few miles around town. Nice and fresh after 11 days of no running. Legs fine, breathing a little harder than usual, but nothing else to indicate the layoff. Picked up to close enough to MP along the boardwalk as there were few people around to get in the way. Very enjoyable.

Nice route. I never really think to run around town. As much to avoid concrete as anything else but an empty city on a Sunday morning is an interesting proposal. I've never even walked on the boardwalk, wasn't sure if it would be the safest ?

The boardwalk sometimes has some interesting characters on it alright but during daylight hours it's grand. There's usually a good few tourists taking the air and odd city council worker too. The sections are quite short too so it's easy enough to bail out. Not great for running though for same reason - the whole thing is only a half mile but it's in at least four sections due to bridges, including O'Connell Bridge which can take a while to cross. Sunday morning only for this route, I think.

Mon 9 Nov

Easy 5.5 km @ 5:51 (3.4 mi @ 9:25)

A few sweaty miles on the treadmill at DCU, listening to the iPod and watching Sky News go ballistic about "state sponsored Russian doping" (on mute, thankfully). The only thing of note was ticking past 2,500 kms for the year (before you ask, that's 1,553 miles). Any bling for that? :D

WTD: 3 mi (6 km)
    MTD: 10 (16)
    YTD: 1,556 (2,503)

Tue 10 Nov

3x800 (90) 3x600 (75) 3x300 (60)

Nice to be back at the club - great turnout on an incredibly balmy evening. Cycled over for a change and after a few warmup laps and announcements it was time to get down to business. The 800s felt OK but I faded a bit during the 600s before perking up a bit for the final 300s. Definitely didn't nail this session, finishing near the back of the group, but hung in well enough. Had no idea of the splits till I looked at the garmin data later.

3:12 3:14 3:10

2:25 2:29 2:30

1:13 1:09 1:02

Few laps to cool down, where the talk was of Jingle Bells. Think I've found a couple of pacers. Then discovered some kind lad had stolen the front light off my bike so cycled home feeling very guilty as I'm always giving out about ninja cyclists.

Total for the evening: 10.2 km (6.3 mi)

WTD: 10 mi (16 km)
    MTD: 16 (26)
    YTD: 1,562 (2,513)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Tue 10 Nov

3x800 (90) 3x600 (75) 3x300 (60)

Nice to be back at the club - great turnout on an incredibly balmy evening. Cycled over for a change and after a few warmup laps and announcements it was time to get down to business. The 800s felt OK but I faded a bit during the 600s before perking up a bit for the final 300s. Definitely didn't nail this session, finishing near the back of the group, but hung in well enough. Had no idea of the splits till I looked at the garmin data later.

3:12 3:14 3:10

2:25 2:29 2:30

1:13 1:09 1:02

Few laps to cool down, where the talk was of Jingle Bells. Think I've found a couple of pacers. Then discovered some kind lad had stolen the front light off my bike so cycled home feeling very guilty as I'm always giving out about ninja cyclists.

Total for the evening: 10.2 km (6.3 mi)

WTD: 10 mi (16 km)
    MTD: 16 (26)
    YTD: 1,562 (2,513)
    See your preps are well ahead. FBOT was right.:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    See your preps are well ahead. FBOT was right.:)

Ah, I was blowing harder than TbL during that session. Next one will be better though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Ah, I was blowing harder than TbL during that session. ;)

:D:D:D

Fri 13 Nov

8 km @ 6:22 (5 mi @ 10:15)

5 recovery-pace miles with the missus in Copenhagen. Lovely city, very civilised ar fad. Out early enough but the Danes get up early themselves so the roads were busy enough. Headed for a nearby park which was very quiet and tranquil, before heading back to the Airbnb apartment for a lovely boiled egg and crusty par baked bread. Wanted a Danish pastry but we couldn't find any. :-p

WTD: 15 mi (24km)
    MTD: 21 (34)
    YTD: 1,567 (2,521)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Wanted a Danish pastry but we couldn't find any. :-p

Over there, they just call them pastries..... ;)

• Advertisement

Sat 14 Nov

11km @ 5:13 avg (6.8 mi @ 8:23).

Would love to have been able to do the local parkrun with the missus but had to get the conference presentation done. Ducked out a bit early though and had a lovely run around the Stadsgraven perimeter. It's a canal but looks more like a long lake, with nice trails on either side. As an added bonus the route takes in much of Freetown Christiania, the hippy community with its own municipal status independent of Copenhagen (and the EU, apparently). Lots of interesting waterside dwellings, and a bizarre campsite where tents were branded with "**** the Poor" slogans. So a bit of a mixed message all round. Was hoping to get a bit of tempo in but the paths were too busy for sustained pace so ended up more of a steady run. Difficult enough as it was windy and chilly but worst of all, low sun which seemed to be in my eyes all the time as the zig zag nature of the trail kept pointing me in the wrong direction. But as overseas runs go, another good one. Passed lots of local runners. For the record, they tend to keep to themselves but respond if greeted. ;). All wearing tights though. Pussies. :pac:

WTD: 22 mi (35 km)
    MTD: 28 (45)
    YTD: 1,574 (2,532)

Advertisement