Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

What is it with the tights :confused: And hats and gloves! It was the same in Berlin, at the Cross Damn Fun I was conspicuous in my shorts and singlet even though the sun was splitting the stones. Nice to get a run in somewhere different. Hope the presentation went well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The presentation went well, thanks. I hate these things tbh but always prepare. Some of my co-panellists droned on forever - obviously not runners they way they showed no appreciation for the recommended time. :p

Sun 15 Nov

Easy 10.4 km @ 5:31 (6.5 mi @ 8:53)

Early jog along the Copenhagen waterfront as far as The Little Mermaid, which is indeed quite small. Adjacent is a fort with a star-shaped earthen embankment dating from the 17th century. Ran the lovely gravel path along the top, more than a mile around the perimeter. Messed with the system though: went anticlockwise and everyone else was going in the other direction.

WTD: 28 mi (45 km)
    MTD: 35 (56)
    YTD: 1,580 (2,543)

Tue 17 Nov

4x800 (75) 4x400 (60)

This was a tough session and I really felt like I was imploding towards the end. Blowing a gale down one side of the track and of course up the other. Couldn't see anyone from the group I normally try to tag along with so chose one at random really. Don't think it made much difference though, I was struggling from the start. I'm a skinny aul fecker and the wind was practically blowing me over every time rounding the final bend. The numbers don't look as bad as it felt though and are within the suggested Daniels/McMillan ranges.

3:12 3:13 3:19 3:22
    1:30 1:36 1:33 1:35

Total for the evening: 9.4 kms (5.8 mi)

WTD: 6 mi (9 km)
    MTD: 40 (65)
    YTD: 1,586 (2,552)

Those are impressive splits! Tough out there this evening for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I can't believe you went out in that D. Madness.

At least it was dry. The wind was really only bad in one corner. ;) Times would have been worse without wind assist on back straight.

Did you run up and back too? I briefly pulled the dog out for a walk and hid inside. There was a weather warning in effect!

No, was in the car. Only so much wind I can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sat 14 Nov

11km @ 5:13 avg (6.8 mi @ 8:23).

Would love to have been able to do the local parkrun with the missus but had to get the conference presentation done. Ducked out a bit early though and had a lovely run around the Stadsgraven perimeter. It's a canal but looks more like a long lake, with nice trails on either side. As an added bonus the route takes in much of Freetown Christiania, the hippy community with its own municipal status independent of Copenhagen (and the EU, apparently). Lots of interesting waterside dwellings, and a bizarre campsite where tents were branded with "**** the Poor" slogans. So a bit of a mixed message all round. Was hoping to get a bit of tempo in but the paths were too busy for sustained pace so ended up more of a steady run. Difficult enough as it was windy and chilly but worst of all, low sun which seemed to be in my eyes all the time as the zig zag nature of the trail kept pointing me in the wrong direction. But as overseas runs go, another good one. Passed lots of local runners. For the record, they tend to keep to themselves but respond if greeted. ;). All wearing tights though. Pussies. :pac:

WTD: 22 mi (35 km)
    MTD: 28 (45)
    YTD: 1,574 (2,532)
    No, was in the car. Only so much wind I can take.

I'll just leave this here :D

• Advertisement

Ah here. You want me to be blown off the East Link as well? (Then again, it's a Smart car, which is at risk of being blown away anyway.)

Wed 18 Nov

No running. I'd say rest but I'd hoped to get in a recovery but didn't make it.

Thu 19 Nov

10k @ MP / 1k cd

Was chained to the desk all day and dying to get out, which I eventually did around 7pm. Roads were pretty busy but I decided to try and do about 10k at around MP, which at the moment is about 4:48 km (7:43 mi).

4:54 4:41 5:01 4:53 4:50 5:00 4:58 4:58 4:51 4:35
    Avg 4:52 (7:50)

Happy enough with that - plenty of hills, all by feel, lots of stopping and starting, dodging cars and pedestrians. At one point I was surrounded by a large fit for life group of club runners and got boxed in. Passed ososlo at bottom of Griffith Ave but didn't realise for a minute so was less sociable than I might otherwise have been. ;)

WTD: 13 mi (20 km)
    MTD: 47 (76)
    YTD: 1,593 (2,563)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Passed ososlo at bottom of Griffith Ave but didn't realise for a minute so was less sociable than I might otherwise have been. ;)

WTD: 13 mi (20 km)
    MTD: 47 (76)
    YTD: 1,593 (2,563)

In fairness you were in the middle of a fantastic mp session going up the hill, whereas I was just jogging down the hill. I wouldn't have liked to have disrupted the session anyhow!
    I'll let you off this time!!!

Fri 20 Nov

Treadmill 6.4k easy/recovery (4 miles)

Didn't feel the love today, hitting the treadmill was better than doing nothing.

Sat 21 Nov

St. Anne's parkrun 23:08

Hadn't been over to St. Anne's in a while. Nice crisp morning for it. Tried to run this at marathon pace by feel and ended up more like HMP. Oh well. Nice workout, very enjoyable. Quick hello to FBOT and Ferris, then took a detour back to the car to get in another km or so to cool down.

WTD: 22 mi (350 km)
    MTD: 56 (90)
    YTD: 1,602 (2,578)

Sun 22 Novb

Slow 12.9 km @ 6:01 (8mi @ 9:40)

Felt tired right away on this one, after several hours of shifting furniture around the house. So it became more like a slightly elongated recovery run. Nice chilly evening on the seafront.

WTD: 30 mi (363 km)
    MTD: 64 (103)
    YTD: 1,610 (2,591)

Mon 23 Nov

Rest.

Tue 24 Nov

WU + 8x600 (200 jog recovery) + CD

Third week in a row making it to the club session, that could well be a PB. Jogged over through the crowds congregating at the Point to see some crowd of old post-punk geezers. Got to the stadium just in time to do a few strides then into the session, which was a surprise because I thought it might be 3k time trial night. Joined a group and took off but the first rep was a bit fast for me and I struggled to keep up, doing a few of the middle reps by myself. While I was at the back of the group for most of this, two guys dropped back to other groups and another guy stopped completely, so at least I had a bit of endurance, catching the group for the last couple of reps and finishing pretty strongly. Tough session all the same.

2:18 2:24 2:30 2:32
    2:32 2:25 2:31 2:22 (Avg. 2:27)

According to McMillan I should be doing this in 2:18-2:26 range so this was pretty pedestrian. Haven't felt good during the last few Tuesday sessions at all but I'm glad to be getting them done. Couple of cooldown laps with aquinn before jogging back to D3 at nursing home pace. It all adds up to 15.4 kms (9.5 mi).

WTD: 10 mi (15 km)
    MTD: 74 (118)
    YTD: 1,620 (2,606)

Murph_D wrote:
    2:18 2:24 2:30 2:32 2:32 2:25 2:31 2:22 (Avg. 2:27)

Very good paces. Will be weeks posting mine now.

aquinn wrote: »

Ah go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Mon 23 Nov

Rest.

Tue 24 Nov

WU + 8x600 (200 jog recovery) + CD

Third week in a row making it to the club session, that could well be a PB. Jogged over through the crowds congregating at the Point to see some crowd of old post-punk geezers. Got to the stadium just in time to do a few strides then into the session, which was a surprise because I thought it might be 3k time trial night. Joined a group and took off but the first rep was a bit fast for me and I struggled to keep up, doing a few of the middle reps by myself. While I was at the back of the group for most of this, two guys dropped back to other groups and another guy stopped completely, so at least I had a bit of endurance, catching the group for the last couple of reps and finishing pretty strongly. Tough session all the same.

2:18 2:24 2:30 2:32
    2:32 2:25 2:31 2:22 (Avg. 2:27)

According to McMillan I should be doing this in 2:18-2:26 range so this was pretty pedestrian. Haven't felt good during the last few Tuesday sessions at all but I'm glad to be getting them done. Couple of cooldown laps with aquinn before jogging back to D3 at nursing home pace. It all adds up to 15.4 kms (9.5 mi).

WTD: 10 mi (15 km)
    MTD: 74 (118)
    YTD: 1,620 (2,606)

Nursing home pace that's a new one like the sound of that !!! :)

Mrs Mc wrote: »

I learned it from TbL. :p

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »

It's all relative, A. As far as I'm concerned it's a second slower than the slow end of the range. My rep times are irrelevant. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mrs Mc wrote: »

unfortunately, their nursing home pace is our fast pace Mrs Mac :D
    I learned it from TbL. :p

its where he belongs (by his own admissions :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Firedance wrote: »
    unfortunately, their nursing home pace is our fast pace Mrs Mac :D:p)

Typical !! Just when I thought there was an easy option !

Wed 25 Nov

Recovery 45 mins

Thu 26 Nov

No running.

Fri 27 Nov

Easy/steady 12.4 km @ 5:13 (7.7 mi @ 8:24)

Refreshing late-morning run up to Santry Demesne from the office. Heavens opened about 3 mins in. It eased off quickly but windy enough. Encountered some flooding in the Demesne 'panhandle' just where it joins the main park and had to run all the way back and get in a different way as there was no way through without wading through ankle deep mud and water. Hardly another soul in the whole park. Enjoyed this.

WTD: 22 mi (35 km)
    MTD: 86 (138)
    YTD: 1,632 (2,625)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Glad you enjoyed running in my park:)

Haven't been there for a while, but I always do!

Sat 28 Nov

About 6k (3.7 mi) inc. St Anne's parkrun.

Did a double take as I bumped into Freddie Sittuk while discarding my jacket. He had a good go at the St Anne's course record but conditions were not favourable and I gather he missed out by 8 seconds or so. As for me, I enjoyed a nice progression run, starting out nice and easy and working gradually up to 5k pace for the home straight. Lots of familiar faces around today, good to see PJD and Toulouse visiting, Redrunner back in action, Mrs Mc putting in some sterling work ahead of her PB assault next week. ;) And KennyG supporting, in advance of his club speed session (hope it was a baptism of fire, G!). Lots of others to catch up with too. It was all so sociable that I nearly got in trouble for spending so long in the coffee shop after that I was late home to let the Mrs out for her run with aquinn. That's what's great about parkrun, I suppose. :)

WTD: 25 mi (41 km)
    MTD: 90 (144)
    YTD: 1,635 (2,631)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I really need to check out this St Anne's Park run.

You've been tipping along nicely D.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Sat 28 Nov

About 6k (3.7 mi) inc. St Anne's parkrun.

Did a double take as I bumped into Freddie Sittuk while discarding my jacket. He had a good go at the St Anne's course record but conditions were not favourable and I gather he missed out by 8 seconds or so. As for me, I enjoyed a nice progression run, starting out nice and easy and working gradually up to 5k pace for the home straight. Lots of familiar faces around today, good to see PJD and Toulouse visiting, Redrunner back in action, Mrs Mc putting in some sterling work ahead of her PB assault next week. ;) And KennyG supporting, in advance of his club speed session (hope it was a baptism of fire, G!). Lots of others to catch up with too. It was all so sociable that I nearly got in trouble for spending so long in the coffee shop after that I was late home to let the Mrs out for her run with aquinn. That's what's great about parkrun, I suppose. :)

WTD: 26 mi (41 km)
    MTD: 92 (144)
    YTD: 1,636 (2,631)

Not huge turn out due to X/C races, went ok, only doing 300m, not quite
    On sessions your doing, but work in progress.

• Advertisement

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Not huge turn out due to X/C races, went ok, only doing 300m, not quite
    On sessions your doing, but work in progress.

Nothing easy about 300 intervals! You'll really feel the benefit after a few of those sessions.

Advertisement