Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Well done Murph, spotted you having a little warm-up at the start line. Amazing work to PB in those conditions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Firedance wrote: »
    :D:D:D brilliant, was it something I said?

Just your warmup diligence. Inspirational. ;)

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Well done on pb Murph :)

Fantastic result yourself! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fantastic Result yourself! ;)

I know I'm just brilliant at this pacing lark ssshhhh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats D. Super result and on the worst of days. Think you have a date with destiny (well over 5km at least) coming up shortly. Those numbers will continue to tumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sat 5 Dec

Actual: 21:04 (garmin time - no chiptimes today) 217th posn (of 798), 13th M50 (of 39).

WTD: 40 k (25 mi)
    MTD: 22 (13)
    YTD: 2,671 (1,660)

Great running yesterday D in tough conditions.

If I wasn't annoying you, barking instructions you'd probably have gone sub 21:).

There's definitely more to come off that time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Great running yesterday D in tough conditions.

If I wasn't annoying you, barking instructions you'd probably have gone sub 21:).

There's definitely more to come off that time though.

+1 D. Super running if your man had shut up and let you concentrate on running sure you'd have smashed 21mins :D

And they say I talk a lot :p

Ha ha, I probably exaggerated a bit. It was more pointing and gesturing than shouting and roaring. But definitely a big help, especially into the wind where I came very close to chucking it in. I agree there's more to come off. Still waiting on KennyG to name the date!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Ha ha, I probably exaggerated a bit. It was more pointing and gesturing than shouting and roaring. But definitely a big help, especially into the wind where I came very close to chucking it in. I agree there's more to come off. Still waiting on KennyG to name the date!

Not to sure I am any where as near as you, but Sat 19th Dec or Sat 9th Jan, could give it a lash, or open to suggestions.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Not to sure I am any where as near as you, but Sat 19th Dec or Sat 9th Jan, could give it a lash, or open to suggestions.

I am available on the 19th if you need a pacer. I am sure we can line up Yaboya and Ferris as back up :)

• Advertisement

Well this is Gary's gig but 19th sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done on the pb Murph
    FBOT01 wrote: »
    I am available on the 19th if you need a pacer. I am sure we can line up Yaboya and Ferris as back up :)

I'll let you know for definite on Tuesday, but I'd say I'm unlikely to be around any Saturday for the rest of 2015.

Well this is Gary's gig but 19th sounds good to me.

19th So, hope BG good to go as well and DenisB from my recollection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    19th So, hope BG good to go as well and DenisB from my recollection :)

Oh go on then :rolleyes:

Thanks FBOT01, piggyback?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Oh go on then :rolleyes:

Thanks FBOT01, piggyback?

We'll compromise. If smashing 21mins and beating the two boys* takes too much out of you, I'll give you a piggyback over to the cafe for your St Anne's parkrun PB Coffee :)

*remembers that he is an unbias pacer and the job comes first!

Sun 6 Dec

50 mins recovery.

Pleasant few miles out to Dollymount with Anna. Beautiful calm morning, felt odd after yesterday's conditions. No after effects from Saturday's race or afters, which turned into quite a long day with an extended family get together later that evening. Reflecting on Saturday's race, I can't be unhappy with the time. The consensus among club mates was that times were down 20-30 seconds on previous years due to the weather, so that's encouraging. Can't help feeling I might have HTFU'd a bit more in the third km (poor Ferris practically had to stop and wait for me). Anyway we'll give it another lash in a couple of weeks and try to round off a decent year on a high note. :)

WTD: 48 km (30 mi)
    MTD: 30 (19)
    YTD: 2,679 (1,665)

Sun 6 Dec

50 mins recovery.

Pleasant few miles out to Dollymount with Anna. Beautiful calm morning, felt odd after yesterday's conditions. No after effects from Saturday's race or afters, which turned into quite a long day with an extended family get together later that evening. Reflecting on Saturday's race, I can't be unhappy with the time. The consensus among club mates was that times were down 20-30 seconds on previous years due to the weather, so that's encouraging. Can't help feeling I might have HTFU'd a bit more in the third km (poor Ferris practically had to stop and wait for me). Anyway we'll give it another lash in a couple of weeks and try to round off a decent year on a high note. :)

WTD: 48 km (30 mi)
    MTD: 30 (19)
    YTD: 2,679 (1,665)

Going from sandbagging to scare tactics, running20-30 sec below par :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats on the (yet another) PB, Murph. Great going.

Mon 7 Dec

Rest.

Tue 8 Dec

WU + 8x600 (200) + CD

Lovely evening for a club session. Aquinn joined me for the jog over so plenty of chat. I know it was only a 5k the other day but I'm still in old man recovery mode so I decided in advance I'd take it easy on the session, about 90 percent or so. Turned out the session was the same as the two weeks ago. Really enjoyed it - resisted the urge to go a bit faster until the final rep. Jogged back at recovery pace to take the total up to a respectable 15.6 km (9.7 mi). Thanks for the company, A.

2:31 2:35 2:32 2:31 2:33 2:27 2:28 2:15

Looking back at two weeks ago (when I really struggled) these rep times aren't that different so it's encouraging that it felt so handy tonight.

WTD: 16 km (10 mi)
    MTD: 45 (28)
    YTD: 2,695 (1,675)

Wed 9 Dec

Treadmill Easy 8.42 km @ 5:56 (5.2 mi @ 9:33)

Thu 10/Fri 11 Dec

Nada.

Sat 12 Dec

90 mins hills 17.1 km @ 5:19 (10.6 mi @ 8:34)

Exhilarating run in the Donegal hills. First few kms with Anna until we got to the bottom of the hill and (with permission granted earlier) I eased ahead up the 1.2 mi incline to the top of Croagh, the site of Ireland's oddest-located caravan park. According to Strava it's an average 4% grade but it feels harder as there's actually a triple summit to this hill, which we love to tackle when we're up here. A was turning at the top but I went down the other side to the end of the road before coming back. Felt great all through this run, although I was a bit overdressed with jacket, long sleeve top, gloves and Waterford woolly hat. Snow on the hills, beautiful surroundings, feeling strong. One of the good ones. I've laid down a couple of Strava segments over this route - not exactly in a running heartland here, as the Missus and I still hold the course records. :)

Boston training starts Monday so this was a little of taster of the kind of long runs I want to do over the course of the 18 weeks, with the emphasis on the downhill side of things.

WTD: 41 km (26 mi)
    MTD: 71 (44)
    YTD: 2,720 (1,691)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

sounds absolutely beautiful, can we get some photos next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

this was a little of taster of the kind of long runs I want to do over the course of the 18 weeks, with the emphasis on the downhill side of things.

We'll see you at the Fat Turkey so :D

Firedance wrote: »
    sounds absolutely beautiful, can we get some photos next time?

Well this doesn't really do it justice but here you go:

i282037939640746666._szw425h320_.jpg

:D

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    We'll see you at the Fat Turkey so :D

Apparently my services are required in the kitchen that day. (If we have a kitchen.) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'll let you know for definite on Tuesday, but I'd say I'm unlikely to be around any Saturday for the rest of 2015.

I could be around for this after all :)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I could be around for this after all :)

Don't forget your Santa hat!!

Sun 13 Dec

50 mins easy 8.7k (5.4 mi)

Gentle plod in Donegal around the local 5-mile undulating loop.

WTD: 50 km (31 mi)
    MTD: 80 (49)
    YTD: 2,729 (1,696)

Boston 2016: 18 weeks to go...

Having himmed and hawed and wavered a bit after seeing the club spring marathon plans, have decided to stick with the decision to go with P&D<55. First time with this plan for a marathon, but it looks familiar enough after doing the Pfitzinger & Latter HM plan during the summer with decent enough results.

So here's what's in store this week:

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    Rest|13k (LT)|Rest/Cross|14k (GA)|Rest/Cross|6k (Recovery)|MLR 19k|53k (33m)

So a gentle enough start. I'll definitely bin one of the rest days. The idea for this mesocycle is to build endurance and work up to 80k (50m) a week. I've averaged 55k (34m) so far this year so there shouldn't be a problem mileage-wise with this plan. Will probably swap out some of the sessions for the odd club session but only if it looks compatible with what's going on elsewhere in the week.

So here we go again.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with it D.

• Advertisement

Boston 2016: 18 weeks to go...

Having dimmed and hawed and wavered a bit after seeing the club spring marathon plans, have decided to stick with the decision to go with P&D<55. First time with this plan for a marathon, but it looks familiar enough after doing the Pfitzinger & Latter HM plan during the summer with decent enough results.

So here's what's in store this week:

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    Rest|13k (LT)|Rest/Cross|14k (GA)|Rest/Cross|6k (Recovery)|MLR 19k|53k (33m)

So a gentle enough start. I'll definitely bin one of the rest days. The idea for this mesocycle is to build endurance and work up to 80k (50m) a week. I've averaged 55k (34m) so far this year so there shouldn't be a problem mileage-wise with this plan. Will probably swap out some of the sessions for the odd club session but only if it looks compatible with what's going on elsewhere in the week.

So here we go again.... :eek:

Best of luck with it, D. The imperial version of this was my first introduction to P&D in 2013. I really enjoyed the plan and got the result I was looking for so hopefully you will have the same outcome on both fronts ;)

BTW I have it in spreadsheet form if haven't done it already and want it, drop me a PM with your email address.

Advertisement