Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Mon 21 Dec

Rest.

Tue 22 Dec

General Aerobic 13.4 km @ 5:17 (8.3m @ 8:31).

I've decided it will be good to train on more undulating terrain this time around so took an inland route taking in Donnycarney, Killester, Artane and Drumcondra. The plan said to do 10x100 strides but I ditched these having raced 5k at the weekend.

Wed 23 Dec

Rest.

Thu 24 Dec

General Aerobic 16.1 km @ 5:20 (10m @ 8:35).

Was wondering would I manage to get out for this one at all but finally most of the festive preparations were done and I headed up the Howth Road for a circuit of the Raheny Five route and back down. Chilliest run in a while, although not as cold as earlier in the day. Enjoyed this, especially as I'd been feeling a bit under the weather all day after some festive pints last night.

WTD: 30 km (18 mi)
    MTD: 161 (100)
    YTD: 2,811 (1,747)

Fri 25 Dec

Rest. Hic!

Sat 26 Dec

Recovery 8.4k @ 5:38 (5.2m @ 9:04)

Probably the wettest one of the year. Good to be out.

Sun 27 Dec

AM 2 km @ ~7:30

We took the kids and two of their mates to Rush Junior parkrun. Great fun. Tried to stop the boys from cutting the corners but they think cheating is all part of the craic.

PM 23.2 (14.4) inc 13 (8) at MP

Was looking forward to this, with a bit of trepidation given the week that's in it. Warmed up on the Royal Canal before starting the MP section in Cabra en route to the Park. Felt tough from the start but once in the Park with fewer interruptions I hit the stride fairly comfortably. Did an anticlockwise lap of the perimeter roads from the Cabra Gate, completing the 13k just after exiting by the same gate about an hour later. Really enjoyed this - happy to be towards the faster end of the MP range, at 4:48 (7:43) pace. Doesn't feel like long since this was my 10-mile pace. :)

So at last I've completed a week of P&D. Game on.

WTD: 64 km (40 mi)
    MTD: 195 (121)
    YTD: 2,845 (1,768)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done on the PMP run! Curious as to how the pace should feel at this stage. On a scale of 1 - 10 ? Would you expect it to feel more comfortable as the schedule goes on and training goes well ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Well done on the PMP run! Curious as to how the pace should feel at this stage. On a scale of 1 - 10 ? Would you expect it to feel more comfortable as the schedule goes on and training goes well ?

I was never good at those scale of 1 to 10 estimates! :o Maybe about 7 or 8?

To be honest, 8 miles at MP shouldn't be any problem at all for someone training regularly without any interruption now for more than 20 months. That said, the MP graph is going slowly in the faster direction and it always feels slightly odd early in a training block. I think a lot of that is mental because you can't help asking yourself all the time, will I be able to hold this for the full distance, and the answer is almost always, I don't think so!

I like to ask myself how does the MP feel in terms of the difficulty during the race, when (if you've trained well) it tends to range from incredibly easy for the first few miles to almost impossible for the last few. Today's run felt like it was from the middle third of the race. Which I think is probably a bit harder than it should feel, if it wasn't two days after Christmas. But there are so many factors at play - I've done four 5k races in the last two months so that should make MP feel kind of easy. Then again, its 8 miles so that's never easy. Then again PMP usually does feel hard for the first part of the programme.

Thanks for asking, it's interesting to reflect on this. I'd have a better answer if my HRM was working, which might provide some more objective data about how hard it was today. Must sort that out. Can't believe how crappy Garmin HRMs are!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Did all my PMP sessions in company
    So much easier, I know they say your
    alone on day, but u can always find someone on pace with u if u need. But fair play to you, you seem to be able to motivate yourself, think I need someone to stop me slacking

• Advertisement

Good point, G. FBOT has been kind enough to do a couple of important pace runs with me in the past, really helps. Will try to do some long runs with the club, but in general I find the solitary approach can work well too. The garmin virtual pacer can keep me honest. Don't like letting him get the better of me!

Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun|Total
    Rest|16k (GA)|6k (Recovery)|13k w/ 6 @ LT|Rest|6k (Recovery)|MLR 23k|64k (40m)

This week looks straightforward enough. The Thurs LT session is supposed to be at 77-88 percent of HRR so will try and get the HRM working by then. That supposedly equates to 15km-HM pace according to the book, which is somewhere around 4:28-4:35 (7:12-7:28) pace for me (what’s with the Americans and their 15k races, even though they’re supposed to think in miles?)

That session would ideally be done on the track but Irishtown is closed until Jan 4 so might try the Polo Grounds or even the Munich mile area and give the spikes an airing in advance of the Dublin Masters XC in a couple of weeks.

The weekend MLR is supposed to be 10-20% slower than MP (65-78 percent of HRR), or about 5:30 (8:50). Last time out on this kind of plan, my HRR lined up pretty well with the suggested paces so hopefully that’s still the case.

Mon 28 Dec

Rest.

Tue 29 Dec

General Aerobic 16.1k @ 5:19 (10 mi @ 8:34).

The Mrs returned to the scene of the Fat Turkey and dropped me off at the Howth Summit car park for this one, so I could get a nice MLR back to Fairview with downhill start. I reckon this is a rough approximation of the first 10 miles of the Boston course and I was bold and did the first 4k at MP, to get an idea of what it might feel like to start the race cold. No problem with the pace of course but tough enough on the legs alright. The headwind most of the way home could well have to be faced on the day as well.

Nice run. Passed an old lady out walking near St. Fintan's advised me to "Enjoy it while you can", which I certainly hope to do.

WTD: 16 km (10 mi)
    MTD: 211 (131)
    YTD: 2,861 (1,778)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Murph_D wrote: »

Nice run. Passed an old lady out walking near St. Fintan's advised me to "Enjoy it while you can", which I certainly hope to do.

Such diligence D. Fair play.

Reminds me of a very early morning run last summer running out of town and uphill to Finglas Village. An even oulder lad was leaning against the wall with one hand and holding his walking stick with the other hand while clearing his chest. He just managed to squeeze out a breathless and bubble filled "fair **ckin play to ya, sure I'd join ya if the missus hadnt sent me to the shops".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

how sweet! I got one of those too this morning in the PP, lovely elderly gent on a walking stick 'good girl, you won't regret it, keep it up so as you don't end up like me' awwwww, I stopped for a second to have a quick chat with him. We are so lucky.

nice run BTW

• Advertisement

Wed 30 Dec

Recovery 8k (5 mi) on the seafront. Noticed later there was only 6k on the plan, so an extra 2k in the bank, to be withdrawn on:

Thu 31 Dec

11.6k @ 5:12 avg (7.2 @ 8:22)

This was supposed to be 13k with 6 at LT pace of around 4:30-4:35 (7:23-ish). We are in Donegal and the weather was dreadful all day, but finally there was a bit of a break in the late afternoon and I got out on the local undulating 5 mile loop, which I extended with a little spur down to the main road. Started the LT segment on this mostly downhill section which was fine but once I turned the watch started the "speed up" beep which didn't stop for the rest of the 6k. I was certainly working, with hills and wind to contend with. But I felt I wasn't trying hard enough tbh. Tried a spurt in the 500m, and a bout of dry retching suggested I was putting in an effort, but the output just wasn't there. The excesses of the season have finally caught up, methinks. Light was fading rapidly so I cut the cooldown short. The stats showed 4:47 for the LT portion, so I barely managed MP. Strava gave me a Grade-adjusted pace of 4:37 (7:26) which is a small consolation. In the end, a run typical of my year: a bit of quality but ultimately more HTFU required!

WTD: 36 km (22 mi)
    MTD: 231 (144)
    YTD: 2,881 (1,790)

So that’s it for another year. It was a pretty good one. A total of 1,790 miles, nearly 500 more than 2014. More importantly, it was the first completely injury-free year since 2012. A solid winter, helped by plenty of Jantastic peer pressure, helped set up the year with a really solid base, followed by yet another enjoyable marathon training cycle with the meno plan, which helped me to 3:29:16 in Cork, definitely the highlight of the year.

I raced more than in other years: a total of 15 races, 13 of them PBs. A close second to Cork was the Dublin HM, the major focus for the second half of the year, the only race where I felt totally in control from start to finish. Followed that with a very enjoyable pacing debut at the Dublin Marathon, where it really was a privilege to be part of a team of highly dedicated individuals, whose commitment to the responsibilities of the task at hand is unquestionable.

That left a couple of months to concentrate on shorter stuff, and I ended the year in the unusual position where my 5k time of 21:02 at St. Anne’s parkrun is now actually the best performance of the year, with a 47 VDOT and 72.3% age grade. I think I owe that to the club sessions, and I hope to carry that forward and feel the benefit of the speedwork in next year’s marathon quests.

In between there were some very memorable races: Bundoran 10-mile with tang, a wild and windy Omagh HM, a terrific showdown with BG at the Lakes 10k where despite (or perhaps because of) the result I think I learned a few things.

Went social running with a good few boardsies, even TbL who was sufficiently incapacitated to do a few miles with me around the coast and the Docklands. Some good runs with FBOT and aquinn, as well as a great trail run somewhere in the Wicklow Mountains with a few others. Many enjoyable runs too with the OH. We started running pretty much at the same time in 2011 and are thankful that we still can, when we can.

But in the end, we can’t get away from the numbers. With only four years on the running/racing clock, it’s only to be expected that progress continues to be made:

|2012|2013|2014|2015
    5k|24:15|22:05|21:49|21:02
    5M| - |38:03|36:47|35:08
    10k|50:51| - |46:28|44:20
    10M|85:45|78:53|74:19|73:46
    HM| - |1:46:25|1:41:00|1:37:19
    M|4:02:26|3:46:15|3:36:17|3:29:16

While everything’s going in the right direction, it will be harder to keep that momentum. But as I’ve posted in the Goals for 2016 thread, I hope to do the following in the next 12 months:
    • Marathon: Run <3:22 at Boston to qualify for London (3:20) and/or NY (3:23)
    • Failing that, 1:35:xx at Dublin HM for NY qualifier.
    • 10m - 69:xx
    • 10k - 42:xx
    • 5m: 33:xx
    • 5k: 20:30
    • 1m: 5:59

These feel like ambitious goals and I would not expect to hit them all. The 10-mile is especially optimistic but it’s the distance where i’d be most comfortable with the risk of blowing a gasket. We will see.

It’s been a pleasure getting to know meet lots more boards people over the past year, both online and in the real world. Here’s hoping for a good 2016 for all of us.

Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Really solid and consistent progress being made here. Nice targets for 2016 too. Will look forward to reading about you hitting them all.

Happy New Year.

All the best Murph with 2016 Goals. I'm sure all will be hit in 2016, Happy new Year.

I raced more than in other years: a total of 15 races, 13 of them PBs.

I think I have a lesson to learn here :o

Best of luck with the 2016 goals, race ya to the mile ;)

Fri 1 Jan

7k recovery with the Mrs. Four years to the day after we did one of our first "runs in the real world" in St Anne's Park. Back then, the goal was to do 5k at 6min pace and we both struggled in our different ways. Today was easier.

WTD: 43km (23mi)
    MTD: 7 (4)
    YTD: 7 (4)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great great year D. Hope 2016 brings more success.

Sat 2 Jan

Rest.

Sun 3 Jan

22.5 k @ 5:17 (14 mi @ 8:30)

Got a lift as far as Sutton and headed up Howth Head and back to Fairview. Even more respect for Fat Turkey runners - that climb to the car park at the Summit Inn is just cruel. P&D say to to treat these MLR and LRs as progression, finishing at MP so I tried to take it easy on the downhill this time. The season of goodwill must be over because some jerk in an SUV at Sutton Cross pulled out of a driveway while I was already crossing the road and decided to play chicken with me. I let him win.

Beautiful morning. Even the customary headwind the way home was less taxing than usual. Tried to do MP (4:46) by feel along the very crowed path between the wooden bridge and Alfie Byrne Road and was delighted to see the watch beep 4:48 4:48 4:42 for the section.

WTD: 66 km (41 mi)
    MTD: 30 (18)
    YTD: 30 (18)

Sat 2 Jan

Rest.

Sun 3 Jan

22.5 k @ 5:17 (14 mi @ 8:30)

Got a lift as far as Sutton and headed up Howth Head and back to Fairview. Even more respect for Fat Turkey runners - that climb to the car park at the Summit Inn is just cruel. P&D say to to treat these MLR and LRs as progression, finishing at MP so I tried to take it easy on the downhill this time. The season of goodwill must be over because some jerk in an SUV at Sutton Cross pulled out of a driveway while I was already crossing the road and decided to play chicken with me. I let him win.

Beautiful morning. Even the customary headwind the way home was less taxing than usual. Tried to do MP (4:46) by feel along the very crowed path between the wooden bridge and Alfie Byrne Road and was delighted to see the watch beep 4:48 4:48 4:42 for the section.

WTD: 66 km (41 mi)
    MTD: 30 (18)
    YTD: 30 (18)

The SUVs always win :rolleyes:. I had a similar encounter with a thug in a Micra earlier in the week and had to run away. Glad I wasn't wearing a HRM because I'd have hit max :mad:.

Great job on the MP, sure it'll be easy peasy by the time Boston comes around.

Sounds like good session Murph, good to hit MP, with out aid of gadgets, how are quads holding up with hill work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Sounds like good session Murph, good to hit MP, with out aid of gadgets, how are quads holding up with hill work.

What do you mean? He had the Zimmer frame with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The SUVs always win :rolleyes:. I had a similar encounter with a thug in a Micra earlier in the week and had to run away. Glad I wasn't wearing a HRM because I'd have hit max :mad:.

Great job on the MP, sure it'll be easy peasy by the time Boston comes around.

You lost a battle with a micra? Sure it's barely a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    You lost a battle with a micra? Sure it's barely a car :)

I think she said she outran the micra...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

annapr wrote: »
    I think she said she outran the micra...

That's very possible!

We had a micra once that I bought off a nice chap who was selling it "on behalf of his sick mother" who lived in England (to explain the British reg). It turned out to be a bit troublesome and a mechanic I took it to claimed it could well be two half-Micras bolted together. Have always given them a wide berth since. :pac:

annapr wrote: »
    Kennyg71 wrote: »

What do you mean? He had the Zimmer frame with him.
    Add your reply here.
    If it was the one with the seat and wheels, no wonder SUV guy squared up to him.

Actually we got held up at a traffic light the other day by a guy in one of those. Nearly missed the second change of lights too. Felt like running the poor guy over.

Mon 4 Jan

Rest.

Tue 5 Jan

WU + 8x600 (200 jog recovery) + CD

As it was bucketing down all day I was fully resigned to getting a right soaking tonight and even applied some strategic vaseline in anticipation of a bit of chafage. But miraculously, the heavens decided to close just as I headed out the door and although the jog over to the track was a bit splashy, that was as bad as it got. A good crowd tonight, including a few new people.

2:26 2:30 2:30 2:31 2:24 2:24 2:20 2:15

Recommended pace for these is about 2:28 so close enough. Jogged home for a total of 15.3 km (9.5) for the night. Good session.

WTD: 15 km (10 mi)
    MTD/YTD: 45 (28)

Mon| Tue| Wed| Thur | Fri | Sat | Sun
    Rest| GA 13k (10x100 strides)|Rec 8k| GA 16k | Rest/Cross | Rec 6k| MLR 24k

That's this week's plan but having swapped in tonight's club session, and with the Dublin Masters XC at the weekend, it obviously won't be by the book. Will probably reduce the Thurs GA run and the Sat recovery run. Not going to worry about missing the Sunday MLR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

14 weeks to go! would you mind not giving me heart failure!!! its 15 weeks to Boston (its only Tuesday) & 14 weeks to Rotterdam - right???

p.s. nice session :)

Advertisement