Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Oh, I could think of someone to play me alright, although it would have to be a slightly younger me. ;)

TFGR, you're making me feel guilty now for not being more friendly. But you've also reminded me why I try to vary my running locations as much as possible. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

tang1 wrote: »
    Who plays Murph in the film though Tom Hardy, Daniel Craig, Damien Lewis, Bradley Cooper, one of the Gleeson boys.......
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Oh, I could think of someone to play me alright, although it would have to be a slightly younger me. ;)

TFGR, you're making me feel guilty now for not being more friendly. But you've also reminded me why I try to vary my running locations as much as possible. :D

Tom Hardy gets my vote! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

This could be the start of a fabulous movie. You've just met the guy, and he's this Eastern European genius scientist who defected from his country and now just wants to live a quiet life in Dublin, and he likes his long walks and sitting on the bench people watching, so he watches you running and wishes he had the energy for that and he sees something of himself in you so he smiles and tries to chat while you run past. He watches you leave after your run and he wonders what your name is. So the next day he come out to the bench at the same time and sure enough you're out running and the day after that and eventually you end up finishing your run and sitting beside him and he tells you his story of how he defected, leaving his family behind and how he came to Ireland and you can tell he's lonely so you strike up a conversation which leads to a lifelong friendship with him and he becomes a kind of mentor to you only one day he suddenly disappears and you don't know what happened, was he kidnapped, was he dead, killed, hurt? You worry and worry until years pass and you've almost forgotten him, almost but not quite until out of the blue a letter and a package arrives for you and in the package is a medal and the letter says he had been kidnapped and forcibly taken back to his homeland where he died under house arrest but was posthumously awarded a medal of service to his country because it turns out he defected under a terrible regime because he wouldn't carry out the terrible experiments they wanted him to. The regime was recently overthrown and the guy has now become a hero for refusing to bow to the whims of the regime. You look up from the letter, medal in hand and smile through teary eyes. The movie ends with you, running past that bench and giving a wave to the empty seat.

Alternatively he's sitting on the bench in santry Demesne just out of Santry Sports clinic after a consultation that recommends surgery and he can't run for months so is watching you in envy going, 'that should be ME'. Talk to the man next time D!

Again congratulations on Ballycotton and on Parkrun PB. Absolutely delighted for you. Super racing.

aquinn wrote: »
    Alternatively he's sitting on the bench in santry Demesne just out of Santry Sports clinic after a consultation that recommends surgery and he can't run for months so is watching you in envy going, 'that should be ME'. Talk to the man next time D!

A, you're projecting (but it's understandable).

Besides, I DID talk to him - I think I was quite loquacious considering I was in the middle of me strides. :p

Similar incident today - must be the weather bringing them all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I just really feel for poor sod on the bench, SOB!

All lonely and looking for company.

• Advertisement

Wed 23 Mar

WU + 4x1200 @ 5k pace + CD. Total 16.1k (10m).

First time doing this particular session. It was brutal, difficult, but reasonably successful. Doesn't help that my 5k pace just got lowered by 8 secs per km the other day; my eyes were watering at the prospect of 4:04/k (4:53/rep) as I set up the watch. Wasn't convenient to go to the track today so I thought the next best thing would be to head up to Poppintree at lunchtime and do it on the parkrun course (Albo is too small and too busy at that time of day).

A fine sunny afternoon had plenty of gentlemen out enjoying a refreshing beverage or two as I warmed up. Another couple of lads were partaking of some medicinal herb (it's amazing how often the smell of weed invades my runs these days, not sure if there's any positive effect).

First 1200 started into a breeze and went by in a flash. Struggled to hit the pace and by the time I got into it it was done (4:55). Passed my imbibing friends on the four-and-a-half minute recovery. Nods all round. Second one felt slightly easier now that my body had been shocked into action. But by the end I was glad I hadn't had lunch yet (4:53). I was wearing an Irish Runner shirt and one of my new friends asked where the five mile race was. Phoenix Park, says I. The watch beeped for rep 3 and I was off. Decided to reverse direction for this one, which was a mistake. Started too fast with no breeze, and was gasping by 200m. The entire park looked and felt uphill in this direction. Slower again (5:05). I was too bollixed to chat with my mate (or his surlier companion) this time. Really considered calling it a day but the recovery was long enough to make me change my mind (this Pfitzinger chap knows a thing or two, as AMK has also discovered). So I finished it out, in the original direction again, fading badly at the end (5:00). Another couple of cooldown laps. Never got to continue the conversation as I'd outlasted my merry friend. After 50+ days on the dry I licked my lips a bit at the discarded cans of Dutch as I passed the vacated bench.

Equiv paces: 4:06/k (6:36/m) 4:04 (6:33) 4:14 (6:49) 4:10 (6:42) Max HRR 93%

5k pace was not quite attainable today. Poppintree does not feel as flat or as straight as it used to. That was bloody hard.

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD: 256 (159)
    YTD: 783 (487)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Days recovery for each mile raced, so only bearly there on recovery D and
    That was a dig deep PB, so good session considering.:)

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Days recovery for each mile raced, so only bearly there on recovery D and
    That was a dig deep PB, so good session considering.:)

I did the maths, G. But I hear you - it certainly crossed my mind that it could be too much too soon but at this stage I'm doing my best to trust the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

After 50+ days on the dry I licked my lips a bit at the discarded cans of Dutch as I passed the vacated bench.

those PB beers in Boston will taste might fine D - super session, and G is right..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I did the maths, G. But I hear you - it certainly crossed my mind that it could be too much too soon but at this stage I'm doing my best to trust the plan.

P&D knows best....good session, D!

PS you should have stuck to the plan and done a 10k tune-up race at the weekend then you would have had a lower target for this :D

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    P&D knows best....good session, D!

PS you should have stuck to the plan and done a 10k tune-up race at the weekend then you would have had a lower target for this :D

I blame you and Ferris for not letting me quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Wed 23 Mar

WU + 4x1200 @ 5k pace + CD. Total 16.1k (10m).

First time doing this particular session. It was brutal, difficult, but reasonably successful. Doesn't help that my 5k pace just got lowered by 8 secs per km the other day; my eyes were watering at the prospect of 4:04/k (4:53/rep) as I set up the watch. Wasn't convenient to go to the track today so I thought the next best thing would be to head up to Poppintree at lunchtime and do it on the parkrun course (Albo is too small and too busy at that time of day).

A fine sunny afternoon had plenty of gentlemen out enjoying a refreshing beverage or two as I warmed up. Another couple of lads were partaking of some medicinal herb (it's amazing how often the smell of weed invades my runs these days, not sure if there's any positive effect).

First 1200 started into a breeze and went by in a flash. Struggled to hit the pace and by the time I got into it it was done (4:55). Passed my imbibing friends on the four-and-a-half minute recovery. Nods all round. Second one felt slightly easier now that my body had been shocked into action. But by the end I was glad I hadn't had lunch yet (4:53). I was wearing an Irish Runner shirt and one of my new friends asked where the five mile race was. Phoenix Park, says I. The watch beeped for rep 3 and I was off. Decided to reverse direction for this one, which was a mistake. Started too fast with no breeze, and was gasping by 200m. The entire park looked and felt uphill in this direction. Slower again (5:05). I was too bollixed to chat with my mate (or his surlier companion) this time. Really considered calling it a day but the recovery was long enough to make me change my mind (this Pfitzinger chap knows a thing or two, as AMK has also discovered). So I finished it out, in the original direction again, fading badly at the end (5:00). Another couple of cooldown laps. Never got to continue the conversation as I'd outlasted my merry friend. After 50+ days on the dry I licked my lips a bit at the discarded cans of Dutch as I passed the vacated bench.

Equiv paces: 4:06/k (6:36/m) 4:04 (6:33) 4:14 (6:49) 4:10 (6:42) Max HRR 93%

5k pace was not quite attainable today. Poppintree does not feel as flat or as straight as it used to. That was bloody hard.

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD: 256 (159)
    YTD: 783 (487)

Being a week behind you really make me look forward to these sessions !!

tomred1N wrote: »
    Being a week behind you really make me look forward to these sessions !!

I'm sure you'll do better than me! Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Fair play D as that was some session. Funny how finely balanced the recovery is that you would just about feel guilty by not completing the last interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Great session D, hopefully you'll find something a bit nicer than Dutchy after Boston.
    You're making me very glad you pointed me in the direction of Meno's plan, I almost forget what an interval session looks like.

Thu 24 Mar

Rest/Cross. Pilates class, which was tougher than last time. Not good at having my legs in the air.

Fri 25 Mar

MLR 15.6k @ 5:12 (9.7m @ 8:22).

Joined Ferris for the last part of his long run, a circuit of Howth head taking in the Summit climb, the tramline path, Balscaddan, and (for good measure), the pier. No better day to be on the Bay. Just stunning. Nice and brisk too pace-wise, didn’t realise it with the chit chat but we did the climb nearly a minute faster than I’ve ever done it before. No wonder poor Ferris was gasping for his cuppa at the end.

WTD: 49k (31m)
    MTD: 278 (173)
    YTD: 805 (500)

Sat 26 Mar

6.3k @ 5:06 (3.9m @ 8:12).

An outing over to Cabinteely parkrun for their first birthday. Very friendly, even by parkrun standards. Lovely course, with plenty of uphill, made all the more fun by having to do three laps. Got more of a workout than I was planning. FD on sterling volunteer duty, marthastew directing proceedings. Terrific cake spread afterwards. The wait for coffee is even longer than St. Anne’s though!

Sun 27 Mar

LR 32.2 @ 5:19 (20 @ 8:34).

Headed south again through town, taking advantage of the traffic-free streets in advance of the Easter parade. Out the coast to Bullock Harbour in Dalkey. Another glorious morning to be by Dublin Bay. Passed Teddy’s Ice Cream parlour where legend has it that TBL one bonded with Ferris (or was it FBOT?) over a 99. Wasn’t quite warm enough today to partake. Brought a couple of gels with me, which went down OK at 16 and 24 kms. Meant I had to carry some water as well. My own water belt is fit for the bin so took A's, which is a different shape and found it really hard to get the bottles out. First time taking anything at all on a run during this cycle, just to reacquaint my digestive system with them. Must say I never feel great after taking a gel but I'm not going to use Boston for gel-free experimentation, maybe next time. Super run. Tired legs, but managed to inject a little bit of speed over the final km, which is always nice to be able to do at the end of a long week.

WTD: 81k (51m)
    MTD: 310 (193)
    YTD: 837 (520)

The wait for coffee is usually 1 min - cafe isn't usually that full :)

It's never to cold for a Teddy's 99!! Beautiful day for that route :)

Mon 28 Mar

Rest. Amused myself by checking out the 10-mile race in St. Anne's, where I witnessed some excellent performances. Well done all - I love St. Anne's park but don't fancy that course one little bit!

Tue 29 Mar

WU + 6x800 (75s) + CD

The plan specified a 5x600 session for tonight but after doing the last few of these sessions by myself I didn't fancy another solo run so I decided to head over to the club and do whatever session was scheduled, which turned out to be 800s. Quite a small turnout tonight and I joined one of the groups at random. The first rep felt a bit pedestrian so I moved up to the next group which was a bit fast so I ended up trying to hang off the back, which was just fine. Given the shorter session on the plan I considered dropping out after four, then five reps but peer pressure got the better of me and I completed the six. I'd known from how I felt on the warmup jog over to Irishtown that it wouldn't be an easy night so happy enough to grit it out and get it done. Total tonight: 12.75k (7.9m)

3:20 3:07 3:12 3:12 3:16 3:13
    Max HRR 91%

WTD: 13k (8m)
    MTD: 323 (201)
    YTD: 850 (528)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ha, get me :p

381879.jpg

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ha, get me :p

381879.jpg

I can see how that could be good for you as at that price for the flour you wouldn't be eating too many cakes ;)

I can see how that could be good for you as at that price for the flour you wouldn't be eating too many cakes ;)

I won't be eating any of it, I haven't a clue what to do with it! :D

Course you do, you can make another batch of those no-bake yokes.

Course you do, you can make another batch of those no-bake yokes.

Whisht you spoiled my punchline :mad:

is it just me or does anyone else not have a clue what's going on here! :confused: :pac:

Firedance wrote: »
    is it just me or does anyone else not have a clue what's going on here! :confused: :pac:

You might have to employ aquinn's sleuthing skills ;)

Firedance wrote: »

It's just you ;)

It's just you ;)

Is that not a bit like telling a puppy it's bold?!

It's just you ;)

You're so mean. I'm weak & vulnerable - be nice!!

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Is that not a bit like telling a puppy it's bold?!

Yep :D

Advertisement