Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

^^^^ not chuckling too much....swear! :D:D

Guess who got their oap passport today.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Firedance wrote: »
    You're so mean. I'm weak & vulnerable - be nice!!

I was being nice. You asked a question and I answered it. What's not nice about that?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wed 30 Mar

Recovery 10k @ 5:58 (6.2m @ 9:36).

Concentrated on keeping this nice and slow. Felt restorative. Took a detour at Whitehall up the laneway to Home Farm FC’s facilities, which I haven’t seen since I played under-12 football back in ye day. It’s certainly changed — sports facilities have come a long way in this country, hopefully not all on the backs of poor suckers buying lotto tickets. I got a bit nostalgic for the activities I participated in here a long time ago, even though I was never much of a player, nor was I particularly interested in playing, hence lack of progression beyond under-12. But they had all kinds of activities to draw you in. Apart from the training there were film nights, kids’ parties, summer mini-leagues etc. At the time the only running club I was aware of was Clonliffe Harriers because they were relatively nearby and my mate across the road’s sister’s boyfriend was a member. Never any outreach (that I remember) to encourage kids to join; unlike the constant pressure from the local GAA club Na Fianna, ably abetted by the Christian Brothers, who forbade the playing of soccer during PE classes, and running was assigned ‘feeble’ status, confined to the few lads excused from playing team sports due to what I can only assume was considered their ‘delicate’ demeanour. These latter boys, often the smartest kids in their class, were left to do laps of the sports field while the rest of us played “gah”. This all came to mind because having only recently taken up running I often wonder what it would have been like to participate in my youth. I wish I had discovered it earlier, although I suppose the time always has to be right for any successful adoption of anything.

March mileage: 333k (207m)

Fri 1 Apr

Recovery 6.6k @ 6:19 (4.1 @ 10:10) with 6x100 strides.

Over to DCU sports grounds, which were closed. This seems to be an increasingly common occurrence, which is a pity. Back to Albo for a few laps. Enjoyed the strides, trying to concentrate on form and imagining this was the last 100m down Boylston St. :P

WTD: 29 k (18m)
    MTD: 7 (4)
    YTD: 866 (539)

Sat 2 Apr

Poppintree parkrun @ tempo pace 5k @ 4:16 (3.1m @ 6:52).

The plan gave the option to race up to 10k today. Had considered doing the 4-mile race in Dunboyne tomorrow or alternatively the BHAA 4m at St. Anne's but (possibly influenced by FBOT) decided in the end that there wasn't much to gain by racing at this stage, with two tune-up races already completed in the last four weeks. So the missus and I headed over to Poppintree, bumping into belcarra and his OH on the start line. The idea was to do this at LT/Tempo-ish pace (assuming they're more or less the same thing :confused:) so just under 4:30/km was the rule of thumb. No glasses with me which meant I wouldn't be a slave to the watch as I can barely read it without them. Went more or less to plan for the first lap. By the second lap the first female was using me as a pacer/windshield, and I was happy to oblige. At marshall aquinn's encouragement the female runner took off on lap three and while I was tempted to make a race of it, I stuck to the pace and let her go.

4:29 4:21 4:32 4:19 (3:41) (4.83km measured)

Total, including easy run up to and home from Poppintree: 17.4k (10.8m).

WTD: 47 k (29m)
    MTD:24 (15)
    YTD: 884 (549)

Sun 3 Apr

LR 27k @ 5:36 (16.8m @ 9:00).

A fresh expedition up the Dodder, this time exploring its upper reaches. Parked in Old Bawn and followed the river down through Dodder Valley Park to Templeogue before retracing the route and then heading up to Bohernabreena. Took a wrong turn and wondered where the river had gone as I found myself climbing a near vertical hill. Eventually caught up with a gentleman out for a hike in the hills and when I asked was this the way to the reservoir he said, "Yes, if you want to go the long way around!" Retraced my steps down the hill and followed his directions to the waterworks. Never up there before, what a beautiful spot and a great route to run. Passed lots of other runners and walkers, including chickey as I discovered later. ;)

Headed over to Dunboyne in the afternoon to cheer on the Mrs and Laura_ac in the Dunboyne 4 mile race. Picked up the ever-enthusiastic aquinn on the way. It's easy to say from the safety of the sidelines but it looked like a fast course and very well organised and marshalled, quite complicated as it involved subdividing the final 500 m or so of the road between laps two and three to separate finishers from runners being lapped on the figure-of-eight course. Luckily for aquinn's knee it was possible to cheer on the runners three times while only moving a few metres. PBs all round, and a big spread afterwards for the runners (and the odd supporter - A had to bat a few kids away for skipping the queue to the rice crispy cakes). Good show by Dunboyne AC, might give this one a bash myself next year - FD tells us the race has been going on since the 1970s so they're obviously doing something right (especially the cake bit).

WTD: 74 k (46m)
    MTD:51 (32)
    YTD: 911 (566)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I was thinking that tall guy looked quite like you, I never thought it really was you till I saw your comment on Strava! I often do that route, it's a good one although a bit steep in places.

It's fabulous! Lucky you to have it close by. The Dodder Valley is pretty good too.

Mon 4 Apr

Rest.

Tue 5 Apr

Recovery + Speed 11.8k @ 5:15 (7.4m @ 8:27).

Up to Santry Demesne for this. Eight sets of strides, nice and loose, first couple fairly slow. Overall recovery pace too fast though.

Wed 6 Apr

VO2Max 3x1600 @ 5k pace (3:30 a/r).

Ran these by feel in lane 4 of the track. Made a balls of picking the starting point, as I discovered later, so reckon my reps were about 48m too long. Strict 5k pace would have come in at 6:32 per rep, so I was a bit off. Happy enough though at this stage of the proceedings.

Splits (corrected) 6:32 6:40 6:40

Total 14.9k (9.5m)

WTD: 27 k (17m)
    MTD: 78 (49)
    YTD: 938 (583)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Murph_D wrote: »

Wed 6 Apr

VO2Max 3x1600 @ 5k pace (3:30 a/r).

Ran these by feel in lane 4 of the track. Made a balls of picking the starting point, as I discovered later, so reckon my reps were about 48m too long.

I used lane 6 myself a few hours before you and had a similar balls up on my first 800 rep. Might have got it sorted for remaining 4x800 though. Glad i got out before the Monsoon.

Are there classes for the mature students in interpreting track markings?

Ferris B wrote: »
    I used lane 6 myself a few hours before you and had a similar balls up on my first 800 rep. Might have got it sorted for remaining 4x800 though. Glad i got out before the Monsoon.

Are the classes for the mature students in interpreting track markings?

Ha ha, I wish there were. All you have to do is pace forward from the lane 6 400 start line an equal distance from there back to the finish line. My rule of thumb now for lane 4 is 20 paces forward for every 400m. Simple, eh? :confused:

• Advertisement

Ha ha, I wish there were. All you have to do is pace forward from the lane 6 400 start line an equal distance from there back to the finish line. My rule of thumb now for lane 4 is 20 paces forward for every 400m. Simple, eh? :confused:

Don't forget to factor in the shortening of ones pace as one gets older... 21 paces next week.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sounds like you gave up the cigar smoking recently :pac:
    Good stuff. Will catch up with you at the weekend :)

Fri 8 Apr

Recovery + speed (6x100) 8.1k @ 5:46 (5m @ 9:17).

A canter around Glasnevin suburbia, including Albo and Johnstown Parks. Felt a bit of a twinge during the strides but probably just paranoia. Speaking of which, taper definitely kicking in now with no run yesterday, tomorrow and only 12 miles on Sunday.

WTD: 35 k (22m)
    MTD: 86 (54)
    YTD: 946 (588)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Sounds like you gave up the cigar smoking recently :pac:
    Good stuff. Will catch up with you at the weekend :)

He will have to take it up again. I was reading a book about Boston course and a recent celebrity runner quoted his coach's advise for the early tempting miles as "Put on your smoking jacket and chill" :)

Excellent. I'll bring the pipe so. What book is that, sounds like I'd agree with it. :pac:

Sat 9 Apr

Rest.

Sun 10 Apr

19.4k @ 5:16 (12.1m @ 8:29). HRR 73%.

Hooked up with yaboya at the Ashtown Gate for a dozen very enjoyable easy miles around the Park and down the Liffey. Great Ireland Run and associated events setting up around us so plenty of activity in the park. Chatted all the way around, although I let P do most of the talking just to help him get the HR up into recovery territory. :D This was just the thing for the final MLR of the season, very relaxed and chilled.

WTD: 55k (34k)
    MTD: 106 (66)
    YTD: 965 (600)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD,

One week to go.

Well done on a super training schedule to date. You've had a really great few months and hope you smash target on the day.

Wishing you all the very best in Boston and looking forward to cheerleader updates.

Have a super race.

Upload to strava asap.

Starting this early in case I'm off my head over the next few days.

Thanks A - really appreciate the thoughts, and it was a pleasure to do some of that training in your company. All the best with the surgery - look forward to eventually resuming those chatty Irishtown jogs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Just dropping a message to make sure you take good care of annapr on the trip, and set her up with some nice spots for supporting on the route & for celebrating after....

Oh yes, and good luck for the marathon. Seems to have been very consistent training, hope it will be a great race.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck on Monday D, I'll be cheering you on from the office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! You'll do great. Looking forward to your report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Monday D, your in great shape heading into it. Those cigars yaboya1 does be talking about will be well earned come Monday evening, Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Have a super race. NYQ, LQ, all the Q's - go forth, conquer and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Have a great race Monday D, you've being PBing all way through this block
    so last one to go, well done on really super few months so the only way
    is up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

taper madness has finally set in (sshh, don't tell him i said anything)... he went for a marathon haircut today, should take seconds off the time on Monday :)

Many thanks for the good wishes. They mean a lot.

Mon 11 Apr

Rest.

Tue 12 Apr

Recovery 10k @ 5:31 (6.2m @ 8:53).

A relatively rare trot along the Clontarf seafront. Enjoyed the flat terrain, which has not been typical of this marathon cycle.

Wed 13 Apr

Started the day with a visit to Myles for a rubdown. This has become part of the marathon week routine over the past couple of years. He gave the legs a good going over, especially the left calf which had been feeling a bit tight after being subjected to higher mileage over the past month than they've had to endure previously. All good. Legs naturally a little tender after that, and I’d already decided to postpone today’s run to tomorrow. Later, took one of the boys for an after-dinner passeggiata on the seafront. Place was alive with runners, half of whom I seemed to know. Said hello to Duanington, Bungy Girl, my own missus (the young lad deserted me to help her finish her run) and Ferris B.

Thu 14 Apr

11 @ 5:09 (6.8 @ 8:17) inc. 2m @ MP

The plan called for a “dress rehearsal” with 2 miles at MP in the middle of an easy run. Didn't bother with the dress bit as it would look a bit odd wearing the Cru singlet for a training run. :p Strapped on the gel belt though, with a gel attached just to make sure it was still working, and headed to the Phoenix Park around lunchtime. Sky heavy but the rain held off, and I did a nice loop around the Liffey side of the Park, getting the MP miles in on the Khyber and up the Military Road, so a good replica of the rolling Boston route. As is usual for me during the taper, MP didn’t feel quite right, which is a good sign, I think. :)

So off to Boston in the morning. I started this log two years ago with the coming few days in mind so it’s quite something that it’s finally happening. It’s provided a terrific focus since 25 May 2014, the first week of training for Berlin. So finally, 3,396 miles, 25 races and many other memorable moments later, I’m grateful to have the good fortune to be able to bring this particular journey to its conclusion.

The target is 3:19:xx. There isn't a B goal.

Away we go.

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 127 (79)
    YTD: 986 (613)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

There isn't a B goal.

That should be your next log title :D (if not, can I steal it ? ;)). Super stuff. Again, all the best for Monday. Smash it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

What a journey Murph, I've really enjoyed reading your approach and dedication to training. It's a model log to follow. The very best for Monday, I hope you enjoy every second :) Go rock that city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Best of luck Murph - you've another strong block of training done. Enjoy the experience.

• Advertisement

Give it sox (geddit!) D.

You're in super nick.

Enjoy that long awaited post run beer (& cigar).

Advertisement