Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Interesting thoughts. It certainly seems a challenging course alright and I can imagine the constant switching of incline is tough on the legs. Your comments on having a different race if you had dialled back the expectations a bit from earlier were good too. Probably a thin mental line to identify between really digging in for that goal and knowing when you should adjust for the day.

Glad you to hear the recovery going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I won't make that mistake on a hot day again (I hope).

You can tell I haven't been thinking about this at all, can't you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Murph_D wrote: »
    I won't make that mistake on a hot day again (I hope).

You can tell I haven't been thinking about this at all, can't you? :pac:

You're probably too busy wondering if English is actually my first language.....

"Glad you to hear the recovery going well!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'd go back but not for a PB!

Recovering fine - my experience is that every marathon recovery is faster and less painful than the previous one. Raced marathons that is - paced ones are different, as you're recovering from the duration rather than the pace, which seems harder. Think I was sorer for longer after last October's 4:40 than last week's 3:44.

Will of course be taking it very easy for the next few weeks. Terenure 5 comes a week earlier than ideally, and if it doesn't feel right I will be bailing out.

Agree with this D. Definitely not an easy place to go looking for a PB but as an event and a course I'd say Boston is pretty unique. I'd also agree in relation to recovery. My 4:10 pacing gig in DCM 2014 was the hardest one of my 7 to recovery from. Won't be repeating that in a hurry.

Mon 25 Apr / Tue 26 Apr

No running.

Wed 27 Apr

50 mins recovery in Albert College Park, starting and ending in sunshine, heavy rain and hail in between. Gotta love springtime in Ireland. Makes a change from 21 degree Boston heat anyhow. :rolleyes: Legs feeling pretty rubbery (in a dead rather than a bouncy kind of way). Albo was looking good - the missus and I have joined the team of volunteers for the Junior parkrun kicking off here in a few weeks, so that will be interesting.

Thu 28 Apr

Another 50 mins recovery. Was heading out the door from DCU and skies opened. Didn't fancy two soakings in a row, so headed up to the treadmill.

Fri 29 Apr

General aerobic + speed: 11k @ 5:42 (6.8m @ 9:10) with 8x100 strides.

Felt good to pick it up a little on the seafront tonight. Nice and calm conditions just before dark. Did the strides on my spot near the wooden bridge. Legs much better than the other day.

WTD: 28k (17m)
    MTD: 231 (144)
    YTD: 1,091 (678)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Mon 25 Apr / Tue 26 Apr

No running.

Wed 27 Apr

50 mins recovery in Albert College Park, starting and ending in sunshine, heavy rain and hail in between. Gotta love springtime in Ireland. Makes a change from 21 degree Boston heat anyhow. :rolleyes: Legs feeling pretty rubbery (in a dead rather than a bouncy kind of way). Albo was looking good - the missus and I have joined the team of volunteers for the Junior parkrun kicking off here in a few weeks, so that will be interesting.

Thu 28 Apr

Another 50 mins recovery. Was heading out the door from DCU and skies opened. Didn't fancy another two soakings in a row, so headed up to the treadmill.

Fri 29 Apr

Felt good to pick it up a little on the seafront tonight. Nice and calm conditions just before dark. Did the strides on my spot near the wooden bridge. Legs much better than the other day.

Did my first 3 miles tonight after walking same route every other evening this week. Legs not in great shape.
    Reading ur advice to tang I'm not sure I should do an Autumn one now either. And don't think I'll be going to Boston in a hurry either !! not much to look forward to now ! What's ur plan for next attempt at that sub 3:20?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Mon 25 Apr / Tue 26 Apr

No running.

Wed 27 Apr

Thu 28 Apr

Another 50 mins recovery. Was heading out the door from DCU and skies opened. Didn't fancy two soakings in a row, so headed up to the treadmill.

Fri 29 Apr

FairPlay to Anna and you for getting involved in Junior parkrun. Should be great fun and very rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

FBOT01 wrote: »
    FairPlay to Anna and you for getting involved in Junior parkrun. Should be great fun and very rewarding.

I have to get that purple tshirt somehow! And delighted there's going to be one close to home. So are the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

annapr wrote: »
    I have to get that purple tshirt somehow! And delighted there's going to be one close to home. So are the boys!

Sounds great, where will it be?

chickey2 wrote: »
    Sounds great, where will it be?

Albert College Park, C, right beside DCU, on Ballymun Rd. Nice park, plenty of parking... Very close to the m50 if that helps! Come on over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

annapr wrote: »
    Albert College Park, C, right beside DCU, on Ballymun Rd. Nice park, plenty of parking... Very close to the m50 if that helps! Come on over :D

Yes, close to the M50 is good! My two would definitely be interested.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Yes, close to the M50 is good! My two would definitely be interested.

First one is June 5th... Put it in the diary :)

tomred1N wrote: »
    Did my first 3 miles tonight after walking same route every other evening this week. Legs not in great shape.
    Reading ur advice to tang I'm not sure I should do an Autumn one now either. And don't think I'll be going to Boston in a hurry either !! not much to look forward to now ! What's ur plan for next attempt at that sub 3:20?

Fair play for going out for the walk - I never think of that as an option. You'll be grand by autumn - an experienced multi-marathon runner like yourself doesn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool like tang. ;) :pac:

My own plans are a little unclear for a while. Watch this space. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

an experienced marathon runner doesn't need to be wrapped in cotton wool like tang. ;)

I'll take that one on the chin after my Boston comment.

Well if it's anything like Rush it'll be great. The route has been chosen but haven't seen it yet - hopefully it won't encourage the chisellers to cut the last 400m like the Rush course does!

Will definitely be paying a visit with our eldest, he's constantly asking about Dad's running so no harm to check it out for himself to see if he likes it. Fair play to ye both.

tang1 wrote: »
    I'll take that one on the chin after my Boston comment.

I agonised over the best way to put it, B, and obviously failed! I think you made the right decision having struggled to make it to the start line on previous occasions. But now that you've sampled the marathon feeling I know you'll be back, especially as you're training better and smarter than ever.

I agonised over the best way to put it, B, and obviously failed! I think you made the right decision having struggled to make it to the start line on previous occasions. But now that you've sampled the marathon feeling I know you'll be back, especially as you're training better and smarter than ever.

No you hit the nail on the head perfectly D, oh I be back with feckin bells on. But as you say after more training better & smarter.

No you hit the nail on the head perfectly D, oh I be back with feckin bells on. But as you say after more training better & smarter.

Look forward to a few post-marathon beverages in your company whenever it happens that we might be in the same race. I owe you one or two for pushing me around Bundoran last year.

Look forward to a few post-marathon beverages in your company whenever it happens that we might be in the same race. I owe you one or two for pushing me around Bundoran last year.

We could always go knacker drinking tomorrow week along the canal, bring a little bit of Dublin to rural Co Meath!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

We could always go knacker drinking tomorrow week along the canal, bring a little bit of Dublin to rural Co Meath!!!

Pardonne moi? not all Dubs knacker drink! Having never done it though I might give it a shot on Sunday week :D

Firedance wrote: »
    Pardonne moi? not all Dubs knacker drink! Having never done it though I might give it a shot on Sunday week :D

Course you didn't, Daddy bought you litres of vodka before dropping you off at the Wes!!! Real Dubs are from North of the Liffey to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

+1 to that great additions to the volunteer team there.

Why do you think I love St Annes so much :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Why do you think I love St Annes so much :):):)

Will yourself & M make the canal run tomorrow week A? I'd be happy to try 'outdoor Prosecco drinking' although I'm not quite sure that qualifies :D (sorry for the log hijack murph!)

Will yourself & M make the canal run tomorrow week A? I'd be happy to try 'outdoor Prosecco drinking' although I'm not quite sure that qualifies :D (sorry for the log hijack murph!)

Was considering it alright have my nieces first communion on Saturday so all depends on how the owl head is !!! And if there is anyone else at the slow pace I do !!

Course you didn't, Daddy bought you litres of vodka before dropping you off at the Wes!!! Real Dubs are from North of the Liffey to.

God, don't remind me about Wes, we had to drop our girls off there too. Terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

My own plans are a little unclear for a while. Watch this space. ;)

Ah go on, tell us!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Ah go on, tell us!

Well I want to try to get something out of the marathon block so I'm thinking Cork HM in five weeks time. In the meantime I'm going to take FBOT's advice and try to follow a P&D schedule designed for back-to-back marathons, as this schedule combines recovery with maintaining marathon fitness. Could try something more HM-specific but I feel I was in a good place with the P&D plan and want to see the method out with a good race. Will probably throw a parkrun in there in a week or two, where I'll try to celebrate run no. 50 with a good result.

Sat 30 Apr

No running. Volunteered at parkrun instead, doing finish tokens. A runner was sauntering towards the line in 10th position and I watched him being taken on the line by a guy who'd made up 15m in the final 100. "Thanks for the heads up" he said to me in sarcastic disgust, after being pipped. Some people expect you to do everything for them.

Sun 1 May

MLR 16.7k @ 5:39 (10.4m @ 9:05).

We are in Donegal for a few days, so headed up over Croagh, home of the lovely caravan park, with the mrs. She turned after 45 mins and I continued on for a couple of kms, picking it up a little, trying to rekindle some love for the hills. Mission accomplished, very enjoyable little jaunt.

WTD: 44k (28m)
    MTD: 17 (10)
    YTD: 1,108 (688)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Will probably throw a parkrun in there in a week or two, where I'll try to celebrate run no. 50 with a good result.

Sub 20 ? Go on go on go on go on
    No running. Volunteered at parkrun instead, doing finish tokens. A runner was sauntering towards the line in 10th position and I watched him being taken on the line by a guy who'd made up 15m in the final 100. "Thanks for the heads up" he said to me in sarcastic disgust, after being pipped. Some people expect you to do everything for them.

At least you won't get that in Albo :rolleyes:. I just had a mini-rant earlier (to himself, fell on deaf ears) about the fact that some people just don't get parkrun. Bet you a euro yer man has never volunteered either!

Advertisement