Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Good Luck D! Weather should be a good deal better than last year's conditions anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I believe best advice is 'go hard or go home' :D no bother to you D.

Sounds like great advice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wk 2 of 12 cont.

Thu 1 Dec

Plan: 8m with 4 @ LT
    Actual: 90 mins easy (15k/9m)

The now-regular easy Thurs run with M & P. We favoured the canal this week. Crisp evening, lovely running weather.

Fri 2 Dec

Plan: rest/cross
    Actual: rest

Sat 3 Dec

Plan: 5m recovery
    Actual: Jingle Bells 5k

After some big talk about breaking 20 for the first time I proved to not have the appetite (or maybe the ability) for that particular task. Two midweek festive occasions didn't help: the body was not the temple it was during my better runs this year. Still, the weather was perfect and I showed up feeling reasonably optimistic.

First km was ok: good start, cutting through the congestion reasonably well. During the second km up Chesterfield I began to feel warm. Was breathing hard but managed to get things under control and a distinct feeling of calm - in a good way - descended. The split was a few secs off but still looking good with the fast part of the course yet to come. If only I could have channeled that inner calm a bit longer. Discomfort set in on Ordnance Survey Road. Dry heaved for a bit, losing some momentum and rhythm. This would be the story for the rest of the race. It happens when working hard, so it becomes a case of trying to ride the wave without falling off, slowing a little, picking up a little. I felt isolated for most of the second half. It seemed like there was no one around, passing the odd straggler, getting passed by the odd charger. Holding position, but no better.

Didn't bother looking at watch down the final stretch. Glanced at it at the Cheshire Gate and there was still a 19 showing. Tried to pick it up for the last little bit, but I was passed by a guy who looked like an age category rival here (he was) and had nothing. There might still be a PB available but the clock counted down too quickly and in the end the 20:23 (2 secs slower than PB) was a fair result.

Splits: 4:04 4:06 4:10 4:09 3:53

Great to see so many of the boards crowd, congrats on all the PBs and some well-deserved prizes too. ;) Terrific event, as always. Enjoyed the tea and maltana and biccies after. The Mrs sheparded one of our lads around his 5k debut – he went home delighted with his medal and spot prize and mug. And a bellyful of Penguin bars.

The delph shelf is starting to groan under all the Jingle Bells crockery. :)

Was disappointed with this result but at least the VDOT is heading back in the right direction. On those terms this is the second best performance of the year so can't be too unhappy with that.

PB: 20:21 (St. Anne's, March 2016)
    Target: 19:59
    Actual: 20:23.
    221st of 789. 7th M55 (of 20). VDOT: 48.7. Age Grade: 75.2
    Verdict: Legs OK, lungs OK, must find a way through the heaves.

Sun 4 Dec

Plan: LR 24k (15m)
    Actual: 25.5k/16.1m easy

After volunteer duties at the always lively Albo junior parkrun, joined a neighbour who is training for a marathon debut in Seville for an easy long run along the Dodder. Very pleasant morning. Not too taxing on the legs, which feel fine after yesterday’s race. Not a bad week mileage wise, first one over 40 miles in a couple of months.

WTD: 73k (46m)
    MTD: 51 (32)
    YTD: 2,839 (1,765)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report D. Nice to meet you again. You'll be better prepared for your next 5k tilt. Don't give up on the sub 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

A pleasure as always D, sorry it was so brief, under pressure with time. Sort the heaves out as you say and your golden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great report D. Nice to meet you again. You'll be better prepared for your next 5k tilt. Don't give up on the sub 20.

Absolutely! It'll come, D! Don't you worry! Nice week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Funny thing is I must have picked up on your past references to the heaves as 2 nights before the JB I woke during the middle of the night dreaming that I was heaving :eek:.

Certainly sounds as though it is effecting your running D.

denis b wrote: »
    Funny thing is I must have picked up on your past references to the heaves as 2 nights before the JB I woke during the middle of the night dreaming that I was heaving :eek:.

Certainly sounds as though it is effecting your running D.

Glad that dream didn't jinx you in the race, Denis. Saw your Strava - you really tore it up in the second half, great run!

Yeah, I've been googling the retching thing - pretty common it seems. No definitive cures out there but a few things to try. Theories about everything from hydration to coffee to lactic build-up. My guess is it's the latter - the good news is I'm heaving at faster speeds than previously. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Murph_D wrote: »
    the good news is I'm heaving at faster speeds than previously. ;)

Progress:eek:, reckon you'll just have to run longer & slower!! Give up the fast stuff!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

You always sound like you look forward to the retching when you talk about it?

Anyway, save the sub 20 for St Anne's :)

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You always sound like you look forward to the retching when you talk about it?

Anyway, save the sub 20 for St Anne's :)

I do? I suppose it looks like a bit of an excuse, and maybe it is. Certainly don't look forward to it, but I do expect it on shorter races (up to 10k) I suppose.

Operation Donadea Wk 3 of 12

10 weeks to go. This week should be more on plan, with the odd little distraction here and there. ;)

Mon 5 Dec

Plan: rest
    Actual: rest

Tue 6 Dec

Plan: Gen. Aerobic + speed 13k/8m w. 10x100
    Actual: 6k (3.7m) inc ALSAA Winter League mile

ALSAA winter mile 6:07 (PB)

I’ve had the mile on my to-do list for a while now, and Bungy Girl persuaded me to try this. I’m glad I did, as I really enjoyed the experience. My only other mile race had came with four beers attached, so I was confident a PB was achievable tonight. :D

The target was sub-6, ambitious enough but achievable based on recent 5k times. Would have liked to do a longer, slower warmup but there was only time for a few laps. Did some drills and a few strides and felt Ok but a little heavy - still a bit of tiredness in the legs from the weekend’s long run and 5k. BG advised me to wear the spikes as it was a damp evening and the track was a bit slippy. She sportingly donated a couple of 5mms as I was one or two short.

There were maybe 14 or 15 runners in for this. Lined up beside BG in the second row, behind five or six young lads, and in front of a couple of other women and a few older gentlemen, one or two of them quite senior indeed, fair play to them. The whistle (or was it just a countdown?) went and the youngsters tore off. There was a bit of jockeying round the bend and I settled just in front of BG and put in a steady first lap, the timer calling 1:30 at the end of the 409m. Perfect, I thought to myself. By Lap 2, most of the the young lads were out of sight. I was bringing up the next wave, and I could hear BG on my tail, confirmed by the swinging ponytail on the shadow thrown by the car park lights as we rounded the bend and headed into the gloom on the far side. One of the younger youngsters, probably about 13, had cooked his goose and I passed him at the start of the back straight. But now there was no one to target and it was hard to get a feel for the correct pace. The timer called 3:05 at halfway, so under pressure for the target already.

I’d spent about five minutes googling “how to run the mile” earlier today and was already a bit of an armchair expert. The word was that Lap 3 is the toughest, so I consciously drove a bit harder around the bend to keep the momentum up and stay in the game. It seemed to do the trick: by now I was really starting to feel it but still moving fairly well. At the (virtual) bell, the timer, who was probably struggling to see the watch in the gloom, ignored me but I heard “4:38” a second or so after I passed, probably for BG just behind. Seconds later I realised what was really going on as she shot past very strongly on the penultimate bend. All I could muster right away was a shout of encouragement (I’m too polite that way). But it was her turn to do the work now; I had someone to chase and did my best to keep in touch. Legs were feeling rough on the back straight. BG had pulled a couple of seconds ahead but I could see her starting to wobble in the last 200 and I put in a decent finish to claw back some of the gap and finish just behind in 6:07. Tremendous fun. :D

Splits: 1:30 1:35 1:33 1:29

Had to take a moment on the ground to compose myself before congratulating my occasional rival on a big PB and doing a few cooldown laps to finish off an excellent — and different — kind of evening.

Wed 7 Dec

Plan: 6k recovery
    Actual: 6.9k recovery

Another leisurely trot out to Easter Island.

WTD: 13k (8m)
    MTD: 64 (40)
    YTD: 2,852 (1,773)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great write up, D! Hope you don't mind but I borrowed it for my log ;). Thanks for dragging me around and for the (very polite!) encouragement on the last lap. I would have replied but I was incapable of speech by then. Sub 6 no bother to you next time I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Twice in a week that BG has hung in the coat tails of fellow Boardsies to run a PB, time she done the pacing.........

Nice run D, you seemed to really enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Congrats on the PB and entertaining report D. Not so sure that the "Armchair Expert Manual" would recommend letting a younger and proven double Nationals Medal Winner get past whilst verbally encouraging them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done D, but as Denis suggest, save the breath for running:)6

tang1 wrote: »
    Twice in a week that BG has hung in the coat tails of fellow Boardsies to run a PB, time she done the pacing.........

I did indeed. Not much time to (over)think compared to longer stuff, which is often a good thing.
    denis b wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB and entertaining report D. Not so sure that the "Armchair Expert Manual" would recommend letting a younger and proven double Nationals Medal Winner get past whilst verbally encouraging them :D

It won't happen again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

.....It won't happen again! :D

I should bloody hope not!!! Fool me once :p

Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on the PB :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

tang1 wrote: »

You obviously missed her pacing me to a whopper 2 mile pb a couple of months ago! She's done her duties and has committed to the next goal already :)

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    You obviously missed her pacing me to a whopper 2 mile pb a couple of months ago! She's done her duties and has committed to the next goal already :)

^^^ This.

• Advertisement

^^^ This.

I thought I was going to be the night owl on boards last night! Well done D on the track performance. Good to try something different and not far off that initial goal.

I thought I was going to be the night owl on boards last night! Well done D on the track performance. Good to try something different and not far off that initial goal.

Dunno - 8 secs seems a lot to make up so I have more respect for the goal than I had last week, but I'll definitely be giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Dunno - 8 secs seems a lot to make up so I have more respect for the goal than I had last week, but I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Off your 5k, sub 6 would seem very doable, I know one of Raheny crew with
    20.40 pb ran few sec inside sub 6. So defiantly there for you all conditions
    bring right, no sitting up till 2am on boards:D

Thu 8 Dec

Plan: 18k MLR
    Actual: no running.

A bit of a sore back today after a close encounter yesterday at one of the most stupid cycle lanes in the city, the one running along the footpath beside Fairview Park. You have to be really vigilant leaving the park at my usual exit, and I wasn't careful enough. Jumped back and felt a bit of a twinge. Knew by last night I'd be resting today.

Fri 9 Dec

Plan: rest/cross
    Actual:rest

As yesterday. Didn't try to make up for missed run. Some of the exercises from the "BG Back Book" provided some relief.

Sat 10 Dec

Plan: 6k recovery
    Actual: 5k recovery

Headed to St Anne's a little tired after two late nights as the festive outings had begun in earnest this week. Back feeling much better, not so the rest of me, but enjoyed a recovery-paced run. Said hello to The Muppet, and his daughter, making her debut and looking very comfortable. She'll be giving him a run for his money soon enough, I think.

Coffee afterwards. And some Killerz birthday cake, which featured a candle that looked as if it could propel the cake into outer space. :pac:

Sun 11 Dec

Plan: 26k w/ 16 @ MP
    Actual: 18.9k @ 5:08 avg (11.7m @ 8:16)

Yet another late night, so was never going to be attempting the prescribed run. Felt surprisingly good on this steady effort, increasing to MP for a few miles along the Bayside coast, finishing with a couple of easy miles.

Glad that week is over. Party season gets old fast.

WTD: 37k (23m)
    MTD: 88 (55)
    YTD: 2,876 (1,788)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Glad that week is over. Party season gets old fast.

Hah, just another 3 weeks or so to go... speaking of, any party season races planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

A bit of a sore back today after a close encounter yesterday at one of the most stupid cycle lanes in the city, the one running along the footpath beside Fairview Park. You have to be really leaving the park at my usual exit, and I wasn't careful enough. Jumped back and felt a bit of a twinge. Knew by last night I'd be resting today.

I know the one. Hard to believe it was planned by actual human beings, and even harder to believe someone hasn't been badly hurt there. Hope your back is feeling better ?

Singer wrote: »
    Hah, just another 3 weeks or so to go... speaking of, any party season races planned?

Maybe a Fat Turkey trot but not committing to anything yet! You?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    I know the one. Hard to believe it was planned by actual human beings, and even harder to believe someone hasn't been badly hurt there. Hope your back is feeling better ?

It was probably planned by humans who have never ever cycled, walked, used a footbridge, entered a public park or ever actually went outside for anything. Or a troop of monkeys left in a room with a map of Dublin and some poster paints.

The back is OK. Your book helped again. Close call though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

It was probably planned by humans who have never ever cycled, walked, used a footbridge, entered a public park or ever actually went outside for anything. Or a troop of monkeys left in a room with a map of Dublin and some poster paints.

Same can be said for every combined cycle & footpath in the city :rolleyes: and every cycle path in general :rolleyes:

Glad the back is okay though, could have been serious for both of you, pity the other party wasn't paying more attention too though..

• Advertisement

Same can be said for every combined cycle & footpath in the city :rolleyes: and every cycle path in general :rolleyes:

Glad the back is okay though, could have been serious for both of you, pity the other party wasn't paying more attention too though..

To be fair we don't know that they weren't braking or swerving also, or maybe had the obstructed view.

Advertisement