Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    To be fair we don't know that they weren't braking or swerving also, or maybe had the obstructed view.

It's just a stupid lane, adjacent to a difficult to see pedestrian gate, on a bend. Not blaming any cyclists, unless they already know gate is there. Design fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Murph_D wrote: »
    To be fair we don't know that they weren't braking or swerving also, or maybe had the obstructed view.

It's just a stupid lane, adjacent to a difficult to see pedestrian gate, on a bend. Not blaming any cyclists, unless they already know gate is there. Design fault.

No, I know you're not. It is a nightmare route, everyone needs to be looking in 3 different directions at all times for different hazards. I now choose to take the cycle route through the park, I find it much safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

No, I know you're not. It is a nightmare route, everyone needs to be looking in 3 different directions at all times for different hazards. I now choose to take the cycle route through the park, I find it much safer.

Just say it D bloody cyclists:D

Operation Donadea Wk 4 of 12

9 weeks to go. Well, last week didn't really go to plan at all. Could do better.

Mon 12 Dec

Plan: rest.
    Actual: 40 mins recovery

Tue 13 Dec

Plan: 8k recovery
    Actual: 3k time trial, 11k easy/recovery

Mystery club session, leaked beforehand. The idea was to estimate your time and run without watch. Estimated 11:40, ran 12:38. Fail. Knew this was off from the start, as I was being left behind by people I normall have no trouble keeping up with.

Wed 14 Dec

Plan: 16k w/8 @ LT pace
    Actual: rest

Figured last night's effort was reasonable substitute for this so didn't feel too guilty about not getting out.

Thu 15 Dec

Plan: 18k MLR
    Actual: 12k easy

More deviation. Masters XC coming up in a few weeks so took Ferris on a reccie of course as he will be making his debut. Got his new spikes nice and dirty over a couple of laps of last year's course and a few more miles around the pitches and trails in St. Anne's.

WTD: 33k (20m)
    MTD: 121 (75)
    YTD: 2,909 (1,808)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good work. I hadn't seen that the Masters was taking place in St Anne's. I plan to line up in that one for my club XC debut.

• Advertisement

Fri 16 Dec

Plan: rest/cross
    Actual: (4k steady, 4k easy) x2 - total 16.1k (10m)

It feels like I've been slacking off a bit the past couple of weeks so I made sure to add a bit of spice to this. First 4k uphill from DCU thru the 'mun to Santry, so the MP+10% pace was no jog. Couple of laps of Ososlo Park then across thru deep 'mun to Poppintree, where I finished the second steady segment before taking it easy back to Albo for a final lap ending right at the DCU gate on the 10 miles. A good day for hitting my favourite D11 parks as my DCU soujourn comes to an end.

Sat 17 Dec

Plan: 6k recovery
    Actual: 8k w/ 5@MP

Headed over to St. Anne's, a little tardy, and commenced the parkrun about a minute behind everyone else. Marathon pace was the order of the day so spent the first lap and a half moving through the field before finding myself at about the right level for the last km. Good run, with a bit of an aul lad sprint battle at the end, pipping a rival to make an age grade top three, not bad considering the slow start. Another lap to cool down for 8k (5m) in total.

Sun 18 Dec

Plan: 27k (17m) LR
    Actual: 27k @ 5:15 avg (16.8m @ 8:26)

Finally on plan! Started and finished this slow, with the main body of the run a typical P&D progression up to within 5-10% of MP. Quite late getting out, but it was a beautiful crisp afternoon. Very little wind so an ideal day for running the North Bay, taking in the length of Dollymount beach for the hell of it. Lots of friendly walkers and runners out today, infused with the joy of the season no doubt. :p

Good to have a 50+ mile week in the bag, it’s been a while.

WTD: 84k (52m)
    MTD: 172 (107)
    YTD: 2,960 (1,840)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Fri 16 Dec

Actual: (4k steady, 4k easy) x2 - total 16.1k (10m)

It feels like I've been slacking off a bit the past couple of weeks so I made sure to add a bit of spice to this. First 4k uphill from DCU thru the 'mun to Santry, so the MP+10% pace was no jog. Couple of laps of Ososlo Park then across thru deep 'mun to Poppintree, where I finished the second steady segment before taking it easy back to Albo for a final lap ending right at the DCU gate on the 10 miles. A good day for hitting my favourite D11 parks as my DCU soujourn comes to an end.

Sat 17 Dec

Actual: 8k w/ 5@MP

Headed over to St. Anne's, a little tardy, and commenced the parkrun about a minute behind everyone else. Marathon pace was the order of the day so spent the first lap and a half moving through the field before finding myself at about the right level for the last km. Good run, with a bit of an aul lad sprint battle at the end, pipping a rival to make an age grade top three, not bad considering the slow start. Another lap to cool down for 8k (5m) in total.

Sun 18 Dec

Plan: 27k (17m) LR
    Actual: 27k @ 5:15 avg (16.8m @ 8:26)

Finally on plan! Started and finished this slow, with the main body of the run a typical P&D progression up to within 5-10% of MP. Quite late getting out, but it was a beautiful crisp afternoon. Very little wind so an ideal day for running the North Bay, taking in the length of Dollymount beach for the hell of it. Lots of friendly walkers and runners out today, infused with the joy of the season no doubt. :p

Good to have a 50+ mile week in the bag, it’s been a while.

WTD: 84k (52m)
    MTD: 172 (107)
    YTD: 2,960 (1,840)

Nice week there D - like the look of that run today too

Operation Donadea Wk 5 of 12

4 down, 8 weeks to go. Should work harder to stay on the plan. So far the idea of stretching out the long runs hasn't really happened. No matter though, I suspect: I tend to agree with the theory that LR benefits top out after 20 miles or 3 hours at most. So mostly looking to stick to the plan, although the Sunday LR will probably get put off til Monday.

Mon 19 Dec

Plan: rest
    Actual: rest, with added Santy shopping

Tue 20 Dec

Plan: rest
    Actual: rest, with more Santy shopping

Wed 21 Dec

Plan: MLR 19k (11m)
    Actual: 16.1k (10m) with 8 (5) @ LT

Oops. All that stick-to-the-plan stuff and then I went and read the plan wrong and headed out to do the session specified for this day last week. (Luckily though there's a similar LT scheduled for Fri so I can swap that for today.)

Although actual LT has been measured at 4:19, I opted to stick to the 15k-HM pace range (4:23-4:28) specified in the plan. Headed to the track, which I had all to myself. The pace felt tough but manageable enough. Always easier on the track as you can switch off all the road runner antennae, but I was doing it solo which is still more challenging than being dragged along by your clubmates (or not, as I often find). If you follow me.

Overwhelming desire for a nap after this so maybe tougher than it felt at the time.

Thu 15 Dec

Actual: rest. Love these stepback weeks

WTD: 16k (10m)
    MTD: 188 (117)
    YTD: 2,976 (1,850)

Fri 23 Dec

Plan: 14k w/ 6 @ LT pace
    Actual: MLR 18k @ 5:32 (11.1m @ 8:54)

Swap for Weds SNAFU. Windy on seafront so ducked into St Anne's for some shelter. Bumped into Duanington and joined him for a mile or two, which brought my average pace up a good bit. :p

Sat 17 Dec

Actual: St. Anne’s parkrun

Festive run. Joined Anna and laura_ac3 and lots of others among a sea of woolly jumpers, Santa hats and reindeer antlers. Cold morning. Laura got bored and tore off up the second hill. Nice coffee afterwards, not to mention a bit of a festive sing-song. But before I partook I trotted off for a short 1k cooldown, to bring the kilometreage up to 3,000 for the year. :cool:

Sun 25 Dec

Plan: 26k (16m) LR
    Actual: Turkey wrestle. No running.

Only 25 miles for the week, with LR postponed. Happy Christmas.

WTD: 40k (25m)
    MTD: 212 (132)
    YTD: 3,000 (1,865)

Operation Donadea Wk 6 of 12

Seven weeks to go. Some pretty tasty sessions and pace runs coming up over the next few weeks. They will have to be fit around the Dublin Masters XC, coming up in a fortnight. Looks like a challenging schedule so it will be interesting to see how well I can cope with it.

Mon 26 Dec

Actual: LSR 26k (16m) easy (postponed from Xmas day)

Joined my neighbour CB for a slow run up the canal. Haven't been past the M50 for a good while and I couldn't remember my old route to avoid the rocky Castleknock section so we spent a while running around the housing estates of Carpenterstown before finding the way back. Lovely morning, with nary a kid playing on the quiet streets of the housing estates. Must have all got xboxes this year.

Was in two minds about doing this at all as I've been struggling with a cold over the last couple of days but as it was not in the chest I decided to give it a go and felt pretty good, although it was definitely more tiring than usual, possibly for completely non-medical reasons. :)

WTD: 26k (16m)
    MTD: 238 (148)
    YTD: 3,026 (1,881)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

But before I partook I trotted off for a short 1k cooldown, to bring the kilometreage up to 3,000 for the year. :cool:

WTD: 40k (25m)
    MTD: 212 (132)
    YTD: 3,000 (1,865)

Excellent. I have just set myself a loose target of 1800 miles for next year. Didn't realise how close that would be to such a metric milestone. Hmmmm.....

Might as well add another 4k a week to get to 2,000 miles. :pac:

Tue 27 Dec

Plan: 8k recovery.
    Actual: 7.2k (4.4m) recovery.

45 mins on the seafront with the missus.

Wed 28 Dec

Plan: 16k (10m) w/ 5x1000 @ 5k pace.
    Actual: as above.

The first VO2Max session on the plan. My head cold is lingering and with the festivities continuing I was not confident this would go well. I was right about that. Laboured warmup, with a bit of tiredness still there from Monday's LR. There was little wind so, as the Irishtown track is closed for the week, I headed to St. Anne's Park. As I launched (lurched) into the first rep on the grass at Clontarf it felt almost impossible to get up to the pace range (4:05-4:10). The distance felt endless too. The rest of the reps were in the park which was stuffed to the treetops with people and their kids, pets, bikes, scooters and hoverboards. As a result it was a bit of a slalom session but I suspect it wouldn't have felt any better if the park had been empty: it just felt truly awful. Fought off a stitch in the second rep and was gagging by the fourth. Shocking stuff - the most difficult session I can remember, but then again probably not unexpected with the cold and the seasonal excess. Bah humbug.

Rep splits: 4:08 4:11 4:10 4:14 4:17

I'd been considering doing the Fat Turkey 10k instead of this session but didn't bother when they announced a sell out with limited places on the day - based on how I felt on this I'm glad I backed off. There are several more of these VO2 sessions over the coming weeks but I might swap some or all of them for more LT stuff, which (despite today’s sufferfest) is more of a weak spot, I feel. More specific to the task at hand too. Or should I trust the plan (bearing in mind it's not a 50k plan)? :confused:

Thu 29 Dec

Plan: MLR 19k.
    Actual: rest.

Travelling up to Donegal; not enough time to squeeze this in.

Fri 30 Dec

Plan: Rest/cross.
    Actual: MLR 19k @ 5:53 (12m @ 9:29).

Joined Anna for four miles of our local Donegal loop, the last mile of which was the 1,900th of the year. Left her to get home by herself and pushed on out over the hills to Croagh and its deserted caravan park. I know it’s the hottest year on record but the temperature was ridiculously warm. The long sleeves were unnecessary and I had to abandon my neck buff. Crazy. Nice slow run, no fancy stuff. :pac:

WTD: 69k (43m)
    MTD: 281 (175)
    YTD: 3,070 (1,908)

Sat 31 Dec

Plan/actual: 10k recovery with strides (6x100).

A visit to Dungloe parkrun had been considered, but with a choice between a one-hour drive and a lie-in, the bed was the winner today. Headed out a bit later with A to St. John’s Point, a lovely spot where I used to do a good bit of my Donegal running, but hadn't visited at all this year. A windy 5k out, strides at halfway, then blown the 5k back.

WTD: 79k (49m)

December total: 291 (181)
    2016 total: 3,080 (1,914)

So that ends an interesting year. Some numbers:

1,914 miles (3,080 km) Weekly Avg 37m (59k)
    236 running days
    13 races
    20 parkruns (2 raced)
    22 parkrun / jr parkrun volunteer credits
    1 blowup (parkrun)
    5 PBs (10m, 5k, 10k, marathon, mile)
    2 masters county team medals (10m, marathon)
    1 cash prize (3rd M55, Cork Marathon)
    3 marathons
    1 beer mile
    1 DNS (Raheny 5, flu)
    0 DNFs ;)

Not a vintage year in terms of results, failing to hit the targets in the big goal races. Good progress on the 5k front though - the 20:21 during the spring marathon training block is easily the best race result yet, at any distance. This ties in with LT testing which suggests I’m at the fast twitch end of the spectrum for distance runners, so the reality is that my 5k time should be relatively better than the longer distances. It hasn't been in the past, but it is now. Can still be improved, of course, and hopefully will in the coming year.

Fifth year of regular running. Although it is inevitably happening more slowly, progress continues to be made. I’ll take that. It’s been a decent year, with many enjoyable miles in good company. Here’s to more adventures in 2017.

Happy New Year, all.

Nice stats. And bling. Here's to 2017 and more of the same :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sat 31 Dec

Plan/actual: 10k recovery with strides (6x100).

A visit to Dungloe parkrun had been considered, but with a choice between a one-hour drive and a lie-in, the bed was the winner today. Headed out a bit later with A to St. John’s Point, a lovely spot where I used to do a good bit of my Donegal running, but hadn't visited at all this year. A windy 5k out, strides at halfway, then blown the 5k back.

WTD: 79k (49m)

December total: 291 (181)
    2016 total: 3,080 (1,914)

So that ends an interesting year. Some numbers:

1,914 miles (3,080 km) Weekly Avg 37m (59k)
    236 running days
    13 races
    20 parkruns (2 raced)
    22 parkrun / jr parkrun volunteer credits
    1 blowup (parkrun)
    5 PBs (10m, 5k, 10k, marathon, mile)
    2 masters county team medals (10m, marathon)
    1 cash prize (3rd M55, Cork Marathon)
    3 marathons
    1 beer mile
    1 DNS (Raheny 5, flu)
    0 DNFs ;)

Not a vintage year in terms of results, failing to hit the targets in the big goal races. Good progress on the 5k front though - the 20:21 during the spring marathon training block is easily the best race result yet, at any distance. This ties in with LT testing which suggests I’m at the fast twitch end of the spectrum for distance runners, so the reality is that my 5k time should be relatively better than the longer distances. It hasn't been in the past, but it is now. Can still be improved, of course, and hopefully will in the coming year.

Fifth year of regular running. Although it is inevitably happening more slowly, progress continues to be made. I’ll take that. It’s been a decent year, with many enjoyable miles in good company. Here’s to more adventures in 2017.

Happy New Year, all.

Put altogether it looks very impressive. Well done Sir.

Sun 1 Jan

Plan/actual: 24k (15m) with 19k (12m) @ MP (Avg HRR 79%)

Testing enough start to the new year. Headed down St. John’s Point, a narrow peninsula stretching five or six miles into Donegal Bay. A beautiful, sunny, chilly, relatively windless morning, and the run went swimmingly until I turned at halfway and realised it wasn’t quite as windless as I had imagined. In fact there was quite a difficult headwind to deal with, which explained the relative ease of the outward session. Anyway, I tried as best as I could to stick to MP effort, using HR rather than pace due to the hilly terrain (and of course the newly discovered wind). HR averaged 167 (79% HRR) over the 12 mile MP section which is about right, so I’ll call that a success, even though the pace was quite erratic around the average of 4:55/km (7:55/m).

WTD: 103k (64m)
    MTD/YTD: 24 (15)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

It catches me out every time here. I'm cruising at MP thinking I'm deadly 'til I turn for home and struggle to hit MP +60sec. Or it's in my face out AND in my face back.

Operation Donadea Wk 7 of 12

This week It's all nice and easy with the odd stride, with a view to being reasonably fresh for the XC masters on Sun, which unfortunately clashes with the first 20-miler of the plan. Not to worry - I'll just do that the following week instead. Speaking of the masters, having barely being able to put out one M50 team for the past two years, the club seems to have enough for two teams this year. Aul lads coming out of the woodwork everywhere. :pac:

Mon 2 Jan

Plan/actual: rest/cross.

Tue 3 Jan

Plan/actual: 10k + 6x100 strides.

An early morning outing in Fermanagh, using the cart paths at the Lough Erne Golf Resort. Beautiful place, although the hotel itself is a bit underwhelming. Hilly enough run despite the lakeshore setting. Left the strides until the last couple of kms, seeking out whatever flat spots I could find.

Wed 4 Jan

Plan: MLR 19k.
    Actual: 16.3k (10.1m) easy

A second trip to Donadea to run a few laps of the 5k loop with Yonganne. After some watch problems (I’d dug out the old 410 and preloaded the course onto it) we eventually figured out the route and enjoyed a very pleasant 10 miles in the forest. Nice loop with a few sneaky little drags. Won’t be long now until it will be faced in race conditions.

WTD: 27k (17m)
    MTD/YTD: 51 (31)

Speaking of the masters, having barely being able to put out one M50 team for the past two years, the club seems to have enough for two teams this year. Aul lads coming out of the woodwork everywhere. :pac:

Aul wans also! I think we have 12 running :)

• Advertisement

Thu 5 Jan

Plan: Rest/Cross.
    Actual: Rest. Planned to visit the gym and start some strength work, but it never happened for various reasons, none of which are interesting enough to document here. :D

Fri 6 Jan

Plan: 19k with 11 @ LT pace
    Actual: 10.2k easy

Ditched the session due to Sunday’s race. Reccied the course again with FBOT and Ferris, then a few more miles around St. Anne’s.

Sat 7 Jan

Plan: Recovery 8k
    Actual: 5k @ MP (St. Anne’s parkrun)

Big turnout for the new year. Ran with Ferris. Enjoyable sprint to the line with a few other aul lads. We won’t say who “won” as we all know it’s a timed event, not a race. :p

Sun 8 Jan

Plan: LR 32k
    Actual: Dublin Masters XC

This morning before the race, I re-read my report from last year's event, which began with the line “I don’t think I’ve ever looked forward less to a race that this”. That sums up this week too - dreading this in the run-up, although I do enjoy the pre-race atmosphere and watching the women’s race. Whatever about the dread, let’s face it, my expectations were low. In 2015 I finished 172nd out of 208, improving slightly last year to 157th out of 201. So this year was hardly going to be different: I’d be at the back of the field - but could I avoid getting lapped at least? That was about the height of my ambitions today.

After a warmup lap with Ferris and another clubmate, then another with FBOT and Duanington, I lined up at what felt like the right place in the crowd, but it was very congested as the large field (261 finishers, apparently) funnelled into a narrow section of the course after the first bend. This section was also over hard, bumpy ground, with the sun directly in the eyes. By the end of it I glanced right and couldn’t believe the number of runners stretching off into the distance, the leaders already almost out sight. I found myself close to clubmate R, who I’d worked well with last year to move through the field over the first couple of laps. I followed his lead, taking over towards the end of the lap. We’d passed a good few, including KennyG who was settling into the pace, but not far behind as I could hear his name being shouted by the many Raheny/St. Anne’s parkrun supporters for the rest of the race. The Cru support was also incredible as always, positioned all around the course to make sure the cattle prod was always at hand. :)

Lap two was pretty solid as the field thinned out. Slippier ground as the race wore on, but only a couple of notable wet spots really - nothing like last year’s muckfest. I was still slightly ahead of R and more or less holding position through the field, trading places a couple of times with a Clonliffe Runner and another guy in a blue singlet. I was enjoying the slightly downhill, firm section through the trees, including the famous log jump, sportingly flagged on each lap by most runners with a shout of (well, what else: “LOG!”) Started to struggle towards the end of the circuit, though, and then lap three was a total slog. Not the right time to flag, with my don’t-get-lapped ambitions. About 100m before the bell I sensed the leaders coming as the supporter shouts ramped up a few notches. I was going backwards, telling myself “this is where you need to step up and dig in”, but there was little I could do. I was passed in rapid succession by the three leading runners and then clubmate R, who urged me to try and stick with him. I mouthed something about being f*cked, and he moved ahead, but I managed to stay close through the rest of the bad patch, and with about 800m to go I started to feel a little better and pulled alongside R and said “let’s finish this out”. His turn to wave me on, and I led it out for the last stretch, fighting off another stitch (and yes, if you were wondering, the heaves, for the second or third time today). Arrived at the final grassy 200m stretch with a decent enough finish, getting into a sprint with a couple of Clonliffe runners, one of whom came from nowhere with an admirable spurt, towing me past the other guy and maybe two others in the last 50 metres.

Never as happy to cross the line as today.

No results posted yet but I gather from Wubble Wubble's report I finished probably around 211th out of the 261. That reverses last year's slight improvement but still in the ballpark. Slower than my debut I think, although I only have a rough idea of time (which is irrelevant, of course).

Good conditions today, but still a bitch of a race for me. Dreading next year already!

Lap splits (1.5k approx)
    7:13 6:56 7:16 6:50

Well done to Raheny for the organisation. Super race, great support, well marshalled (thanks, Redrunner). I always promise to run more XC and arrive at this race every year having failed to do that. I’d like it to to be different this time, but it probably won’t be. :rolleyes:

WTD: 52k (32m)
    MTD/YTD: 76 (47)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How about more XC and less marathons in 2017 :) Are you racing next weekend???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done D, good finish that's the main thing. There where some unnatural noises coming from a few in the last lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

What doesn't kill us.....( and all that)

Well done D, that kind of effort isn't easy to dip into when you're training for the longer stuff.

Operation Donadea Wk 8 of 12

This week It's back to business, with some changes to recover better from Sunday’s race and to make up for last week’s missed LR.

Mon 9 Jan
    Plan: rest/cross.
    Actual: One hour S&C, followed by swim and sauna.

A week late starting some gym work. I haven’t put much thought into what to do, and decided to ease into it with some general circuit training. Did 2x12 reps at the various machines available in the big boys gym at DCU (now with added weightlifters). This dealt with most of the major muscle groups I think - arms, legs, chest, glutes, core. I think I’ll just try to do this routine a couple of times a week for a few weeks to start, increasing reps/resistance as I get more used to it. Suggestions welcome from any gym bunnies out there. ;)

Gentle start as I was quite sore in the hips and glutes after Sunday’s race. This, plus a few laps of the pool and a sauna/steam/jacuzzi left me feeling better and much looser.

Tue 10 Jan

Plan: VO2 session 5x600 @ 5k pace
    Actual: MLR 18k.

After consulting with the wise FBOT, followed advice to allow an extra day of recovery and swap session for the Weds easy MLR. 18k (11m) out and back on the N1. Not my favourite route - very noisy, too close to heavy traffic, and quite dark and narrow paths once past the airport. But certainly a good workout with plenty of drags. Was in short sleeves and ended up with cold forearms -- but warm hands, strangely enough.

Wed 11 Jan

Plan: MLR 18k.
    Actual: 45 mins with 20 @ tempo

So the switcheroo included switching the VO2 session for a LT-ish session, truncated due to lack of time. No watch so opted for the treadmill, first time doing that for a while. Don’t normally sweat very much but was in a bit of a lather after this as the gym was quite warm and stuffy. Very distracted by a guy on the treadmill behind who sounded like the proverbial herd of elephants. Could see his reflection in the window and his head was rolling violently around his shoulders. Felt sorry for his neck and spine, and quite good about my own reflection. Don’t think I’ve ever run tempo pace on the treadmill before, definitely easier when the running surface is doing half the work. :pac: 8k total.

WTD: 26k (16m)
    MTD/YTD: 102 (64)

Thu 12 Jan

Actual: Gym: S&C

More of the introductory conditioning regime using the various weight machines in the gym. Warmed up for 10 mins on the elliptical beforehand. My head-rolling treadmill buddy from yesterday was back in action, really giving it socks. Couldn't help noticing he was wearing the same sweaty shirt from yesterday though, and really pouring another day's worth into it. :eek: Luckily I was on the other side of the room.

Fri 13 Jan

Plan: 6k Recovery/strides
    Actual: 8k easy/strides

Didn’t read the schedule properly so a bonus 2k. Could have done this slower too.

Sat 14 Jan

Plan: 8-15k tune up race
    Actual: LR 32.2k @ 5:19 (20m @ 8:34) inc. St. Anne’s parkrun (Avg HRR 74%)

First 20 miler since the DCM training. Like the last one, this one began early, hooking up with FBOT at Dollymount. We took in the wooden bridge and the beach, arriving at dawn as a long line of cars was exiting the beach car park but too late to see what they'd been up to. :eek: Speculation naturally ensued. ;)

Rounded up Ferris, yaboya1 and Duanington after an hour to take in a couple of laps of St. Anne’s before finishing with a nice steady parkrun. Excellent run, finishing with breakfast and some top-notch token sorting, so a parkrun volunteer credit too. Good morning’s work all round.

WTD: 67k (42m)
    MTD/YTD: 143 (89)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Thu 12 Jan

Actual: Gym: S&C

More of the introductory conditioning regime using the various weight machines in the gym. Warmed up for 10 mins on the elliptical beforehand. My head-rolling treadmill buddy from yesterday was back in action, really giving it socks. Couldn't help noticing he was wearing the same sweaty shirt from yesterday though, and really pouring another day's worth into it. :eek: Luckily I was on the other side of the room.

Fri 13 Jan

Plan: 6k Recovery/strides
    Actual: 8k easy/strides

Didn’t read the schedule properly so a bonus 2k. Could have done this slower too.

Sat 14 Jan

Plan: 8-15k tune up race
    Actual: LR 32.2k @ 5:19 (20m @ 8:34) inc. St. Anne’s parkrun (Avg HRR 74%)

First 20 miler since the DCM training. Like the last one, this one began early, hooking up with FBOT at Dollymount. We took in the wooden bridge and the beach, arriving at dawn as a long line of cars was exiting the beach car park but too late to see what they'd been up to. :eek: Speculation naturally ensued. ;)

Rounded up Ferris, yaboya1 and Duanington after an hour to take in a couple of laps of St. Anne’s before finishing with a nice steady parkrun. Excellent run, finishing with breakfast and some top-notch token sorting, so a parkrun volunteer credit too. Good morning’s work all round.

WTD: 67k (42m)
    MTD/YTD: 143 (89)

Hey Murph, Delighted to see you made it home ok!!:D:D

(Double checks to make sure I'm posting in my own log). :o

Sun 15 Jan

Plan: LR 27k
    Actual: MLR 18.3 km @ 5:26 (11.3 mi @ 8:44) (Avg HRR 73%)

While this week’s main LR was done yesterday, the idea of this week’s P&D was to finish with a LR on tired legs so I wanted to get in some sort of MLR today. Felt a little creaky at first but eased into it and felt quite good throughout the run, up the canal to M50 and back. Just over 50k for the weekend, which is possibly some sort of PR. :p

WTD: 85k (53m)
    MTD/YTD: 161 (100)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

50k for the weekend!! Great going :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Nice b2b.

If you can just squeeze that weekend into 4hrs you'll have donadea sorted.:D

Advertisement