Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That log sounds good, bring it on.

Me? Rest, maybe a parkrun lash, Terenure, then HM plan for Charleville. The rest will be gravy. :)

Mon 13 - Thu 16 Mar

Rest.

Fri 17 Mar

Easy 11k @ 5:34 (6.8 mi @ 8:5)

Easy but nevertheless exhilarating run in the wind and rain out to the end of Dublin Port. Stopped to look over at Clontarf and the wooden bridge from the other side for a change. Never out there before, great to discover new places, new views.

Sat 18 Mar

15.9k (9.8 mi) inc parkrun @ MP.

Joined FBOT and Ferris for a few pre-parkfun miles along the seafront and Dollymount beach, thankfully with the wind behind us most of the time. Ran the parkrun itself at around marathon pace, which felt challenging but serviceable. Good morning’s work.

Sun 19 Mar

LR 24.2k @ 5:39 (15 @ 9:05)

It’s been a while since I did a Sun run through town so I headed in, realising as I approached St. Stephen’s Green that today was MSB 5k day. Bumped into Dubgal on her way to the race, then aquinn (twice) on her way to stewarding duties. This was getting very sociable. Next, I spotted Quirky at the Grand Canal but too late to shout. Headed out through D6/D4, touring some very fine Georgian streetscapes and buildings in Ranelagh and Donnybrook. Discovered that Mount Pleasant Square is really an oval – who knew? :p Hadn’t set out with any specific mileage in mind but decided to pad out the miles so I could get back to the city just in time to watch a bit of the 5k race. I’d nearly been blown off my feet heading along part of the route earlier so knew the runners were in for a challenging time. Stood beside aquinn (yet again) at the 1k mark and did a bit of cheering (very pale in comparison to hers). Then I jogged on, stopping again at the corner of Merrion Row and Stephen’s Green, the second last turn in the race as the leaders came by again. Stood there for a while. Spotted a few boardsies (but not Singer). Dubgal came past, working hard, looking like she was putting in 100 percent. Gave out to a load of runners cutting the corner, including one of my clubmates. Then headed back to the north side, tired but glad to have gotten in a decent long run to round out the week with 32 miles, not bad for only three days running.

WTD: 51k (32m)
    MTD: 141k (88)
    YTD: 617 (383)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Murph_D wrote: »
    Mon 13 - Thu 16 Mar

Rest.

Fri 17 Mar

Easy 11k @ 5:34 (6.8 mi @ 8:5)

Easy but nevertheless exhilarating run in the wind and rain out to the end of Dublin Port. Stopped to look over at Clontarf and the wooden bridge from the other side for a change. Never out there before, great to discover new places, new views.

Sat 18 Mar

15.9k (9.8 mi) inc parkrun @ MP.

Joined FBOT and Ferris for a few pre-parkfun miles along the seafront and Dollymount beach, thankfully with the wind behind us most of the time. Ran the parkrun itself at around marathon pace, which felt challenging but serviceable. Good morning’s work.

Sun 19 Mar

LR 24.2k @ 5:39 (15 @ 9:05)

It’s been a while since I did a Sun run through town so I headed in, realising as I approached St. Stephen’s Green that today was MSB 5k day. Bumped into Dubgal on her way to the race, then aquinn (twice) on her way to stewarding duties. This was getting very sociable. Next, I spotted Quirky at the Grand Canal but too late to shout. Headed out through D6/D4, touring some very fine Georgian streetscapes and buildings in Ranelagh and Donnybrook. Discovered that Mount Pleasant Square is really an oval – who knew? :p Hadn’t set out with any specific mileage in mind but decided to pad out the miles so I could get back to the city just in time to watch a bit of the 5k race. I’d nearly been blown off my feet heading along part of the route earlier so knew the runners were in for a challenging time. Stood beside aquinn (yet again) at the 1k mark and did a bit of cheering (very pale in comparison to hers). Then I jogged on, stopping again at the corner of Merrion Row and Stephen’s Green, the second last turn in the race as the leaders came by again. Stood there for a while. Spotted a few boardsies (but not Singer). Dubgal came past, working hard, looking like she was putting in 100 percent. Gave out to a load of runners cutting the corner, including one of my clubmates. Then headed back to the north side, tired but glad to have gotten in a decent long run to round out the week with 32 miles, not bad for only three days running.

WTD: 51k (32m)
    MTD: 141k (88)
    YTD: 617 (383)

Thanks for the cheer!! It was hellish!
    I cut one corner - sorry all! - didn't mean to - was on the inside of a group and went with them onto the path before I realised. Mea culpa!

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I cut one corner - sorry all! - didn't mean to - was on the inside of a group and went with them onto the path before I realised. Mea culpa!

I won't tell aquinn. She's the real corner police. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

HelenAnne wrote: »

I just about cut zero corners (I nearly cut one of the cones on the way onto Baggot St.), but everybody around me was jumping into the corners as if they were bonus parts of the race. aquinn should have been on every corner!

Agreed on it being hellish overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

+3 on the hellishness of it all! Am blimmin wrecked, feel like I've done 3x5ks :eek:

I cut a corner too. I actually cut two. Swept along and I am blaming

1) the corner for being there. Actually about 50 of them (slight exaggeration) and
    2) the bloody wind that swept me. Hmph.

They did seem a little short of marshals so I guess it always was going to be hard to keep the field on course. One runner cuts and a load more follow, that's usually the way. Used to do it without thinking myself until I was reprimanded by a famously fastidious boardsie who is no longer with us. I no longer think it's worth the effort of jumping up onto kerbs!

Mon 20 Mar

10.1k @ 5:30 (6.3m @ 8:50)

A few miles in the wind with Ferris. Blowy out too! Tough run for an easy one.

Tue 21 Mar

Rest.

Wed 22 Mar

S&C in gym, after missing a few weeks. It was busy, so I couldn’t do the exercises in the usual order, jumping onto the machines whenever they were available. The DCU gym is an interesting place: lots of young scholarship athletes and footballers, plenty of strutty weightlifter types (although most of them are probably GAA protégées too), and a few aul chancers like myself. I have to adjust the weight resistance on every machine quite significantly downwards, which is OK, but a little humbling.

Followed the workout with 8.15k (5.1m) on the treadmill as it was a fairly miserable looking evening outside and I couldn’t work up the enthusiasm to face the elements. I usually keep it easy on the treadmill but spiced this up with two steady kms either side of one @ MP.

Thu 23 Mar

More rest.

Fri 24 Mar

10.5k @ 5:43 (6.5 @ 9:43)

Easy few miles up through Ballymun and Santry Demesne. Every time I’m in this park I expect to bump into Ososlo, and at last I did, on her second outing of the day. Joined her for a lap and a half and a very pleasant chat. All the best in Belfast, A, looking good!

Sat 25 Mar

6.5k (4m) recovery.

40 mins early morning with the mrs. Beautiful morning, sunny, windless. Sea like glass, lots of swans enjoying the calm conditions.

Sun 26 Mar

10k @ 5:17 (6.2 @ 8:30)

Late afternoon trot along the seafront again. Felt sluggish (as I have all week). Tight for time but didn’t have the inclination to stretch this out any longer really, so a pretty short week. Quite a bit behind this year’s 40 mile weekly target already. :rolleyes:

WTD: 45k (28m)
    MTD: 187k (116)
    YTD: 662 (411)

After a few weeks in recovery limbo, I've decided to have another stab at the mile, with the goal of a 5:5x PB at the paced mile in the Phoenix Park on May 7. That will give a bit of focus before moving on the main goal of the year, to run a NYC marathon qualifying time at the Charleville HM in September.

After getting some advice from one of the coaches at the club, I'll be trying to do two sessions per week for six weeks, supplemented by plenty of easy/recovery runs. I've been given some sample sessions and cobbled together a rough plan here. Looking back, I haven't done any speed sessions in some time so I expect the first couple of weeks will be a bit of a shock. So away we go, starting today. Comments, suggestions, criticism welcome. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

How's the hat.........

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    How's the hat.........

Returned to its rightful owner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Murph_D wrote: »
    After a few weeks in recovery limbo, I've decided to have another stab at the mile, with the goal of a 5:5x PB at the paced mile in the Phoenix Park on May 7. That will give a bit of focus before moving on the main goal of the year, to run a NYC marathon qualifying time at the Charleville HM in September.

After getting some advice from one of the coaches at the club, I'll be trying to do two sessions per week for six weeks, supplemented by plenty of easy/recovery runs. I've been given some sample sessions and cobbled together a rough plan here. Looking back, I haven't done any speed sessions in some time so I expect the first couple of weeks will be a bit of a shock. So away we go, starting today. Comments, suggestions, criticism welcome. :)

No suggestion or criticism - I'm far from qualified. I've often wondered what kind of training you'd do for the mile - I'm feeling tired just looking at that! Is s/r standing recovery and a/r active recovery? Will you have company for the sessions or do them on your own? Also would you mind if I knicked that plan at some stage on the future? For the rest/cross days - is that when you do your S&C?

Best of luck with it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Would you not be better to target a race on a track as that mile in the park is an out and back as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck with plan D, just one question, why double time between sets on
    200 session, both cover 1/4 required distance at required pace, would have thought �� you would use same recoveries. I have never did a session like that so don't know much about what stresses each session would bring just curious.
    Looking forward to see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Project Mile - excellent! I approve :D. Some of those sessions look familiar all right :D.
    I'd agree with Adrian that the out and back in the PP might be less conducive to a fast time than 4 laps of the track. But sure you're that close to the sub-6, the targeted training should see you hit goal regardless of the route.
    Good luck with tonight's session. We did it last night. Are you going to the track for it..?

P.S. Your 800m pace is too soft @ 43s/200m - just sayin'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure if Drogheda is too much of a trek but the date would seem to work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=102971014
    IvoryTower wrote: »
    Drogheda and District AC Summer Graded Series will take place again this Summer, dates and events as follows:
    4th May 7PM - 100/800/3k Long Jump
    18th May 7PM - 200/1mile/5k Shot Put
    1st Jun 7PM - 100/400/1500 Long Jump
    15th Jun 7PM - 200/800/3k Shot Put
    13th Jul 7PM - 100/1500/400 Long Jump
    Open to all AAI registered Athletes, cost €5 per evening. Looking forward to another great series for 2017!

Follow us on Snapchat for live race footage and training snaps #DDACSNAP
    Follow us on Instgram for some fancy photos #droghedaanddistrictac
    Follow us on Twitter for live results & News #DroghedaDistAC

No suggestion or criticism - I'm far from qualified. I've often wondered what kind of training you'd do for the mile - I'm feeling tired just looking at that! Is s/r standing recovery and a/r active recovery? Will you have company for the sessions or do them on your own? Also would you mind if I knicked that plan at some stage on the future? For the rest/cross days - is that when you do your S&C?

Thanks Mark - yes on the standing and active recoveries. It looks like many of these sessions will be solo, although if I can get to the club for the Tues sessions I will do so and either do whatever everyone else is doing or stick to the schedule with at least the illusion of company. ;) I will still try to get to the gym on one of the recovery days, plus take at least one full day off. And yes, you're welcome to knick the 'plan', such as it is!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Would you not be better to target a race on a track as that mile in the park is an out and back as far as I know.
    Not sure if Drogheda is too much of a trek but the date would seem to work.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=102971014

Well yes, the PP out and back is not ideal. I had a look at graded meet schedule but could only find 1500 races. Thanks for the Drogheda option, I will consider it, although I plan to do Terenure 5 on 14th which is a little close for comfort. Either way, I agree with BG that the target is soft so the turnaround shouldn't do too much damage (a potential half mile of headwind, on the other hand... :eek: )
    Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Best luck with plan D, just one question, why double time between sets on 200 session, both cover 1/4 required distance at required pace, would have thought �� you would use same recoveries. I have never did a session like that so don't know much about what stresses each session would bring just curious. Looking forward to see how you get on.

Thanks G. Short answer re recovery time between sets is I don't know, just doing what the coach suggested. I'd imagine the longer recovery is connected to the faster pace, however, and having just done the session today, I wasn't complaining about the six minutes.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Project Mile - excellent! I approve :D. Some of those sessions look familiar all right :D. I'd agree with Adrian that the out and back in the PP might be less conducive to a fast time than 4 laps of the track. But sure you're that close to the sub-6, the targeted training should see you hit goal regardless of the route. Good luck with tonight's session. We did it last night. Are you going to the track for it..?

P.S. Your 800m pace is too soft @ 43s/200m - just sayin'

Ha - yes, soft enough target. PB is 6:07 (as you may remember) in the middle of 50k training. McMillan says 5:51, Daniels says 5:58 based on 5k race times so I reckon 5:55 is doable, maybe better. But we'll see! 43 secs 800 pace is what the coach said for 6 min mile target, and who am I to argue with the boffins? :D (What's your own target pace for 200s?)

No, didn't go to the track - is it back in action?

Project Mile: Week 1 of 6

Mon 27 Mar

Easy 16.11k @ 6:22 (10m @ 8:47)

As I’ve been struggling to make the 40m weekly mileage lately I’ve decided to try to run on Mondays to get the week off to a good start, and this spring morning run along the Royal Canal and the Tolka Valley did the job.

Tue 28 Mar

Rest.

Wed 29Mar

Speed: 3 sets of 4x200 off 45 secs standing recovery (6 mins btw sets)

Not a session I’ve done before. It looked easy on paper - only 2.4k, half the length of the usual Tues night club session. But I was soon cured of that illusion. The track is out of commission at the moment so I went to Albert College Park and measured out a quiet section of tarmac path. Not sure how accurate it was (and in fact I changed it slightly mid session as the first set felt short). Struggled to find the right gear - this was supposed to be at my 800m pace (about 43 secs per rep) but most of them were too fast, and felt too fast too - more like 400m pace! Lost count of reps in set 2 so tacked on an extra 200 at the end of the final set, only to discover later that my count had been good all along. :rolleyes: Good session, and I felt properly worked out after it.

Splits (target :43)

:37 :39 :36 :40 (short?)
    :43 :39 :45 :40
    :40 :42 :41 :44 :40

Total with warmup and cooldown: 11.4k (7.1m).

WTD: 28k (17m)
    MTD: 214k (133)
    YTD: 690 (429)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Track Fairy whah? What have you done with Ultra Murph? No doubt you'll be watching re runs of Chariots of Fire now.;)

G'luck with the project.:)

Ferris B wrote: »
    Track Fairy whah? What have you done with Ultra Murph? No doubt you'll be watching re runs of Chariots of Fire now.;)

G'luck with the project.:)

But but but... I've targeted a road mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Good luck with the plan Murph, looks like fun;)

Set up the watch and you wont have to be trying to count on the run. The best thing i ever discovered was how to send sessions to the watch!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Good luck with the plan Murph, looks like fun;)

Set up the watch and you wont have to be trying to count on the run. The best thing i ever discovered was how to send sessions to the watch!!

No good for the track though - not accurate enough with the measurement of short distances!

Well you can set it up to have 8 intervals and end the interval when you press the lap button and program in your recovery and number of reps.

Well you can set it up to have 8 intervals and end the interval when you press the lap button and program in your recovery and number of reps.

I have a screen set up just for track reps, showing lap time and lap distance and lap pace. Pressing the lap button resets all three, so easy to time the recoveries (lap time), which is all I look at the watch for - unless I'm in a group, in which case I let someone else do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the project D. I'll be following with particular interest. Not sure if I'd be a fan of an out and back mile along Chesterfield for a sub-6 attempt, but I might give it a go this summer anyway (having missed all the winter ones).

You should do a graded 1500 while you are doing this training anyway, is that in your plan?

You should do a graded 1500 while you are doing this training anyway, is that in your plan?

Well yes, that did cross my mind. :) Never participated in a track race/meet, so this could be the perfect excuse. Confident of the sub-6 over 1500 too. :D

By the way, there seems to be a good bit of interest in this sort of thing, if anyone wants to join this quest. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

And the Raheny Mile is on 19 April in case anyone would like to target that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great to see you tackling this. You'll be a real runner yet, son :D:D

This article here explains the reason for the long recoveries and is also a good explanation of the energy systems we use when running.

Don't stress about a 40 mile week when focusing on the mile. Your key training now is primarily your two sessions and a long run (no need to go over 90 mins on this 6 week programme).

Full recovery between these sessions is essential, especially the 200s. Your body is working away like a demon for 48 hours after this session to repair and adapt. If recovery is not enough, you could take a 8-9 day - as opposed to a 7 day - cycle, i.e., session, two days recovery; session, two days recovery; long run, 1-2 days recovery. This cycle is becoming more and more usual for the ahem more mature athlete. Take the recovery runs at a very easy pace, their primary purpose is to flush your legs out.

Race you to 88% age graded mile/1500 ;)

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Great to see you tackling this. You'll be a real runner yet, son :D:D

This article here explains the reason for the long recoveries and is also a good explanation of the energy systems we use when running.

Don't stress about a 40 mile week when focusing on the mile. Your key training now is primarily your two sessions and a long run (no need to go over 90 mins on this 6 week programme).

Full recovery between these sessions is essential, especially the 200s. Your body is working away like a demon for 48 hours after this session to repair and adapt. If recovery is not enough, you could take a 8-9 day - as opposed to a 7 day - cycle, i.e., session, two days recovery; session, two days recovery; long run, 1-2 days recovery. This cycle is becoming more and more usual for the ahem more mature athlete. Take the recovery runs at a very easy pace, their primary purpose is to flush your legs out.

Race you to 88% age graded mile/1500 ;)

Thanks, A, food for thought there. Yes, I am feeling that 200s session today, even if BG thinks I'm doing it too slowly. ;) Gym session today felt tougher than it should, maybe best not to do day after 800-pace session? I like the idea of nine-day cycle, may well build that into the schedule.

88% - that would require 5:03! Maybe next year. ;)

Advertisement