Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BQ or Bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Project Mile: Week 5 of 6

Not long to go now. Signed up for next week's paced mile – I hope it's actually on, seems to be zero publicity.

What should I make of the performance in the relays? Whatever about our team position, I was a little disappointed when I saw the numbers. I’m going to tell myself that being in no man’s land for the whole lap didn’t help, while it’s also hard to know the exact mile-time equivalent due to the unspecified length of the course (part of Raheny’s secret weapon). :p Still, Garmin Connect tells me it contained my fastest ever km, and Strava says fastest ever mile, and while my experience is that these ratings are rarely accurate, I will take that as evidence that things are going in the right direction. To those who feel I looked comfortable and even lethargic en route, well, perhaps I'm just good at looking comfortable. ;)

Mon 24 Apr

Rest.

Tue 25 Apr

3x (4x400 with diminishing recoveries), 2 mins between sets

The schedule had 200s tonight but swapped for the above as I could make it over to the club for a change and haven’t been for ages. Just did what the club was doing, and will do the 200s on Fri instead. Target was 1:30 but didn’t worry about it too much as still a bit of lead in legs after Sunday’s effort. Just went with the group, eventually breaking out into a smaller group with one other guy as the session progressed and the original group got slower. ;)

Splits:

1:33 1:29 1:35 1:31
    1:32 1:30 1:32 1:32
    1:30 1:29 1:37 1:31

A bit off the mark for sure, but happy with the effort. Windy out there too on the back straight. Jogged over and back for a total of 13.8k (8.6m)

Wed 26 Apr

7.2 k @ 5:54 (4.5 m @ 9:30)

40 mins recovery around Drumcondra/Glasnevin. Got lost for a minute in an estate beside Johnstown Park. :rolleyes:

WTD: 21k (13m)
    MTD: 184k (114)
    YTD: 881 (556)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Murph_D wrote: »
    It's not that easy to find - I have this link from an email reply I got from Irish Runner a while back.

Sun 7 May @ 10am. Free registration here:

https://athleticsireland.primo-events.com/ps/event/IrishRunnerPacedMile2017

Just signed up myself!

Thanks D. I eventually found it. May 7th perhaps is to close for me and other obstacles in my way such as Kids football . So if I don't make next week will look at the one on June 25th

RedRunner wrote: »
    Thanks D. I eventually found it. May 7th perhaps is to close for me and other obstacles in my way such as Kids football . So if I don't make next week will look at the one on June 25th

Could well be having a second attempt that day myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Project Mile: Week 5 of 6

Not long to go now. Signed up for next week's paced mile – I hope it's actually on, seems to be zero publicity.

What should I make of the performance in the relays? Whatever about our team position, I was a little disappointed when I saw the numbers. I’m going to tell myself that being in no man’s land for the whole lap didn’t help, while it’s also hard to know the exact mile-time equivalent due to the unspecified length of the course (part of Raheny’s secret weapon). :p Still, Garmin Connect tells me it contained my fastest ever km, and Strava says fastest ever mile, and while my experience is that these ratings are rarely accurate, I will take that as evidence that things are going in the right direction. To those who feel I looked comfortable and even lethargic en route, well, perhaps I'm just good at looking comfortable. ;)

Mon 17 Apr

Rest.

Tue 18 Apr

3x (4x400 with diminishing recoveries), 2 mins between sets

The schedule had 200s tonight but swapped for the above as I could make it over to the club for a change and haven’t been for ages. Just did what the club was doing, and will do the 200s on Fri instead. Target was 1:30 but didn’t worry about it too much as still a bit of lead in legs after Sunday’s effort. Just went with the group, eventually breaking out into a smaller group with one other guy as the session progressed and the original group got slower. ;)

Splits:

1:33 1:29 1:35 1:31
    1:32 1:30 1:32 1:32
    1:30 1:29 1:37 1:31

A bit off the mark for sure, but happy with the effort. Windy out there too on the back straight. Jogged over and back for a total of 13.8k (8.6m)

Wed 19 Apr

7.2 k @ 5:54 (4.5 m @ 9:30)

40 mins recovery around Drumcondra/Glasnevin. Got lost for a minute in an estate beside Johnstown Park. :rolleyes:

MTD: 184k (114)
    YTD: 881 (556)

Nice 400's.

Could you look into your diminishing memory to tell us what the diminishing recoveries looked like. Sounds interesting

TbL

:45 :30 :15, then 2 mins rest before next set.

These were a few secs slow and most of them felt slow to be honest. In the wrong group, and had to lead out myself for the correctly paced ones. :) Did tire towards the end though (although I think that 1:37 is possibly a watch error!)

Yes, the diminishing recoveries is a new one on me too. The :15 is hardly worth stopping for, probably easier to do an 800 at that point. It's a good session.

• Advertisement

Thu 27 Apr

40 mins recovery on the seafront. End of day run. Haven't run in the dark since the evenings acquired a grand stretch. Very sluggish.

Fri 28 Apr

3 sets 4x200 (:45 standing recovery; 6 mins btwn sets)

This session is starting to feel familiar. Track was booked solid so headed to Phoenix Park in the afternoon. Warmed up, then picked out a spot on Furze Road near the race series finish and measured back 200m. Got gawked at by some Chinese tourists wobbling by on rented tandems. Ran these too hard. Kept trying to ease off but the splits stayed stubbornly under the prescribed :40 for the most part.

Splits:
    :37 :38 :36 :37
    :36 :36 :37 :39
    :38 :40 :38 :40

3k cooldown, mainly on the trails. Total 10.8k (6.7m).

WTD: 32k (20m)
    MTD: 195k (121)
    YTD: 892 (563)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Nice session D, think if you ran spot on we'd call for stewards enquiry. Do these leave you wiped at the end. They are at 800m race pace?

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Nice session D, think if you ran spot on we'd call for stewards enquiry. Do these leave you wiped at the end. They are at 800m race pace?

The course may have been a little short. Or a little long. ;)

Yes, 3:20/km is supposed to be 800 race pace. Could I do 800m in 2:40? I doubt it. But I'll never know til I try. :D

Pretty wiped after each set, but you recover quickly enough. A bit sleepy now though!

Sat 29 Apr

St Anne's parkrun 24:56

Pacer Saturday at St. Anne's so I signed up for the 25 mins slot. I enjoy pacing, although I'm not the most talented at getting a group vibe going. Not like FBOT and co., running the loop arm in arm singing Kumbaya. :D Still, I doled out the splits, encouraged my pacees up the hill, and did my best to keep them going through the second half. Inevitably, a good few dropped off but there were still a few hanging in there at the end. One of them tried to hug me afterwards so I might be getting better at the group dynamic. :pac:

Sun 30 Apr

Easy 9.4 @ 5:25 (5.8 @ 8:44)

A pleasant few miles along the seafront in the company of Ferris. So April comes to a close with a fairly light 216k (134 mi).

WTD: 53k (33m)
    MTD: 216k (134)
    YTD: 913 (567)

Project Mile: Week 6 of 6

Well, that wasn’t long coming around. “Pace week” is here. All good so far, feeling pretty up for it.:)

Mon 1 May

40 mins recovery on the seafront. This felt about as bad as you would wish for a few days before you’re about to try to run faster than you ever have before. :rolleyes:

Tue 2 May

4x (600, 400, 200), 2 mins between sets

Jogged over to Irishtown and joined in the fun. Another session I don’t think I’ve done before. The starting 600 (at 3k pace) is tough. The 75 secs recovery is generous though, which is just as well as the shorter reps get progressively faster, at mile pace and 800 pace respectively. At least that’s the way we did it - some runners were doing everything at the same pace which made the congested track back up a little.

Splits (target 2:20, 1:30, 0:40)

2:20, 1:27, 0:39
    2:16, 1:30? 0:39
    2:18, 1:31, 0:40
    2:20, 1:29, 0:41

I was a little wary of this session, as I’d had a pretty vigorous massage earlier in the day. Legs a little rubbery, but managed this fine and felt comfortably challenged throughout. Mostly followed the group, leading out for final set, making a bit of a balls of the 400 section with a very uneven pace. 13.8k (8.6m) total for the night, after the jog home.

Wed 3 May

Rest.

MTD: 21k (13)
    YTD: 933 (580)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That wasn't long coming around! I presume it's an out and back along Chesterfield?
    I definitely won't be taking part this time, but I might have a look after our club run. June seems a lot more realistic for me. Best of luck!

That wasn't long coming around! I presume it's an out and back along Chesterfield?
    I definitely won't be taking part this time, but I might have a look after our club run. June seems a lot more realistic for me. Best of luck!

I know. Six weeks isn't nearly enough to do this properly. Apologies to the more experienced milers around here. Will take a more appropriate approach next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

How did it go?

Edit: oops! apparently it's not until Sunday? Thought it was one of the midweek ones :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Boom!

Thu 4 May

7k @ 5:44 (4.4 @ 9:14)

Another fairly sluggish canter along the seafront. Some strides too.

Fri 5 May

8k @ 6:05 (5.3 @ 9:49)

Joined a couple of the DNS crew for a few late-morning miles around the Phoenix Park. Much talk of multiple-choice exams and London marathon. One of us (luckily not me) took a tumble off a tree root but bounced back up like a rubber ball. Can't be too careful on the trails! Coffee to recuperate.

Sat 6 May

5k @ 5:34 (3.1 @ 8:56)

Pre-parkrun half-circuit of St. Anne's, before some volunteer duties. Had the privilege of operating the stopwatch for Mick Clohisey's national record-breaking run. The relaxed Claw style provides a good mental image to draw on tomorrow.

Sun 7 May

Irish Runner paced mile:
    5:54 official (PB)

So after six weeks of mile-specific training sessions, it was time to get down to business. An absolutely cracker of a day for running a mile, sunny and warm with hardly any wind. The mrs had signed up too, and we picked up BG, in supporter mode, on the way to the Park. Joined by KennyG at Furze Road, where we collected our bibs in seconds. Wubble Wubble ran past, but couldn't persuade him to sign up. ;) There were not a lot of people about, and we set off up Chesterfield to warm up. We found ourselves challenged by the OPW and the Gardai, who claimed there was no running here as the road was needed for some Russian parade event. We invited them to take it up with the organisers and continued on. FBOT and Ferris had arrived too after their long run, so already the pressure was mounting for a decent performance, as our three supporters would be unlikely to let us away with anything less than a full-on effort.

Assembly time. The Russians were indeed coming, we were told, but there would be enough time for our little event. The assembled participants (maybe 40, ranging from 5-12 mins/mile) were led through an excellent warmup routine and the 8-12 mins group went off. G and I did a few strides up the Avenue while waiting, arriving back to the finish line to applaud the first group home and sympathise with the Mrs who had sensibly dropped out after feeling the effects of her Saturday parkrun efforts.

Then we were up. I was determined to pull this off properly, having learned a little from the last effort in ALSAA in December. I'd simply follow the pacer and be ready to break with KennyG over the final 400 and hopefully race each other to a good time. Anything under 6 mins would do, but it would be nice to get some revenge on G too after being handed my ass during the great parkrun sub-21 smackdown of 2015. Not that this was a race or anything. :pac:

Our six-minute pacer started quite hot and I had a moment of anxiety before he corrected. Smoothly through the first 400m, encouraged by our support halfway down the out-and-back Chesterfield course. G was on the pacer's shoulder and I was a metre or so behind in a fairly congested little group, hugging the right hand side, which meant I'd have a pretty tight turn. KennyG looked very comfortable and I tried to feed off that, telling myself I looked and felt just as smooth. I had the singlet and short shorts on, so I knew I looked the part anyway. :cool: The pacer said we'd have a second or two in the bank to allow for the drag back up the Avenue, but I didn't bother looking at the watch. Finishing in front of the pacer was all the timing I would need. (The splits don't seem to reflect this positive split strategy, but could be a bit off.)

Got a good turn around the cones, inevitably losing some momentum, but not as much as others, because suddenly I had lost most of the group, facing back up the Avenue just behind the pacer and KennyG. This was the time to dig in - lap 3 effectively - and the initial momentum and adrenaline had certainly given way to something more like a grind. I closed the gap and just tried to hang in there. Breathing was good. Could hear G starting to catch the breath a little so that was encouraging. ;) Had a DG pain check with about 600 to go. Everything still working, nothing to worry about, relax and let it in.

At 400, the support crew were giving it socks and G made his move. I knew he would be doing this, and had thought about it. Last time out BG had sailed past from behind at this point, very convincingly indeed, and somewhat bamboozled me. So I would stay behind G, go with him, but keep the powder relatively dry until the final 200m. I felt confident from the several 200 sessions over recent weeks that for me that was the right place to turn it on.

So when G goes at the 400m To Go sign, I stay on his shoulder. He's giving it petrol now, focused on a flagging runner ahead of us. The pacer shouts some encouragement from behind, and I know we're going to be able to stay ahead of him. So now, with the sub-6 apparently sorted, we can have a bit of a race. G notices I'm still there, and seems to dial it up a little more. But I'm feeling good, and I know I can stick this. There's a lamp post up ahead and I decide that's where the auld afterburners are coming on. A is positioned close by, shouting plenty of encouragement. I draw level with G, we pass the flagging runner, and I kick for home. The clock is visible now and from what I can see there's less in the bank than I had thought. 5:50, 5:51... G is not going away and I can hear his response, but another kick takes me clear and safely over the line as the clock ticks towards 6 mins.

I take a moment on the ground before recovering and shaking hands with G and a few other runners. It's been a very satisfying run, executed pretty much exactly as I'd visualised. There is a little anxiety about the time for a while, until BG finds the official result on the way back to the car. To be honest, 5:54 sounds a little generous, but I am happy with anything under 6 mins.

Excellent (and free) event, with very friendly atmosphere, and of course good pacers. Highly recommended, for runners of any ability. Thanks to KennyG for injecting a little spice and definitely helping to motivate, especially during the second 800. It's been fun to ditch the long stuff for a few weeks and concentrate on some speed. The reward is a relatively good time, my highest VDOT and age-grade yet (at any distance), and what will be a no-doubt short-lived tenure of the DNS mile bragging rights.

Project Mile, limited as it was, has definitely been a success. I hope to do some more training and racing at the middle distances, with a more comprehensive approach next time out. Thanks to those, on boards and at the club, who gave welcome encouragement and advice, especially Bungy Girl and Dubgal who were generous with their expertise. Good on yez.

Splits (approx): 1:29 1:32 1:33 1:22

Previous PB: 6:07 (ALSAA Winter League, Dec 2016)
    Target: 5:5x
    Official Time: 5:54
    VDOT: 49.3
    Age grade: 75.5%
    Verdict: Love it when a plan comes together

So, a few PB beers, a pressure-free Terenure next week, then thoughts will turn to Charleville and qualifying for NY marathon 2018.

WTD: 50k (31m)
    MTD: 50k (31)
    YTD: 963 (598)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nicely done! Congratulations on a perfectly executed race. A big chunk off the PB and more to come I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's fantastic! although I feel a little bad for G :D raging I missed it! Great to see the training paying off so quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Good to see of the two Sub X projects that were on this weekend, the more 'honest' one took the glory and deservedly so. Not a Tesla in sight. Well done. Great entertainment for a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done - the training paid off then. I'd say it was nice to do something different for a change, and a nice PB to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great result, well done! Sorry I couldn't join you. I'd have been another soft target for you (and KennyG!) Enjoy the PB beers.

• Advertisement

Very well done D, sounds like great craic and always good to win a sprint finish (even if the other lad had a raced half in his legs ;) )

You're going very well lately, keep it going.

Ps: I've had to defer my dinner, the mental picture of you in very short shorts was slightly traumatising!

TbL

To be fair now, Mr Lemon, I was only saying to FBOT yesterday that I thought it was too soon after Limerick for G to be taking this one on. Gary even mentioned it himself as he was helping me up off the ground afterwards. ;)

To be fair now, Mr Lemon, I was only saying to FBOT yesterday that I thought it was too soon after Limerick for G to be taking this one on. Gary even mentioned it himself as he was helping me up off the ground afterwards. ;)

Still, it's one up for the auld lad!

Well done

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

The day was yours D, no excuses, I was well rested going into it and not really sure I'd have expected anything more anyway. I had 5.50 for the mile on watch so I'd say your time is a fair reflection even allowing for a few Garmin seconds. Only when I looked at watch l was little less sceptical. Really well raced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Great stuff! Well done. That's an impressive result considering the length of specific training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Very well raced, delighted for you! Those Russians will try to interfere with anything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done. That's a fair chunk to take off your PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great racing D and congrats on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

A nice reward off the back of your specific training D. Well executed....the belief was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Nicely done Murph :)

Advertisement