Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heysel disaster

• 29-05-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

RIP to the 39 people that died in the heysel staduim tragedy 29 years ago today.

Shocking what happened that day, nobody should go to a football match and not return.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Johner wrote: »
    RIP to the 39 people that died in the heysel disaster 29 years ago today.

Shocking what happened that day, nobody should set out to go to a football match and not return.

RIP. Its really not mentioned enough by the UK media, compared to the likes of Hillsborough.

I suspect its because UK media are ashamed of what happened, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

RIP. Its really not mentioned enough by the UK media, compared to the likes of Hillsborough.

The media have nothing to be ashamed of, it wasn't them that caused the deaths of 39 fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Or maybe because Hillsborough involved a massive cover up?

Anyway, watched a fantastic documentary a number of years ago about the Heysel disaster. I think it was called "Heysel - The day football died" or something along those lines. Worth a watch.

scudzilla wrote: »
    The media have nothing to be ashamed of, it wasn't them that caused the deaths of 39 fans

They are ashamed that it was the fault of supporters from their country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

You are wrong.

• Advertisement

You are wrong.

Want to elaborate? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

900x900px-LL-36f44c78_7QkyXjL.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Want to elaborate? :p

Why? You're question has already been answered in this thread.

How are your Headhunters doing these days? Seemed to have a good night out in Paris a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

So this is what it's come to? Who's hooligans are worse? F*cking hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Nice one lads. Not a page in and this thread has already descended into sh1te.

RIP those that lost their lives in this tragedy.

• Advertisement

Why? You're question has already been answered in this thread.

How are your Headhunters doing these days? Seemed to have a good night out in Paris a few months back.

Wtf chill out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

This will end well

I think the reason you will find you hear more about Hillsborough is that no one has jailed over it, Heysel there was.

And yes RIP to those that lost their lives that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

11 year old amongst the victims, seriously scummy fans involved, even marred the memorial service
    A memorial service for those killed in the disaster was held before Liverpool's match with Arsenal at Anfield on 17 August 1985, however according to The Sydney Morning Herald, it was "drowned out" by chanting

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have family in italy all juve mad.. RIP to the 39 never ever forget.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not a day for looking to take pot shots at opposition supporters, simply to remember. RIP

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

R.I.P the 39

some of you in here would want to give your heads a wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I often wondered why hillborough had such great coverage, but heysel was treated as if it never happened. Whenever it is brought up here, it is quickly dismissed and the person who brought it up is branded a troll.

Yes it is a shameful part of liverpools history but every club has antics caused by their less palatable fans that they are ashamed of. For example, spurs fans treatment of sol Campbell. This is not something that should be swept under the carpet, nor is it eomething that should be used as a battering ram by opposing fans. But I do think it is something that can be discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A disgraceful and hopefully never to be repeated incident. RIP

Some of the posts here seem far more interested in sticking the boot in to Liverpool fans than paying any genuine remembrance or respect to the memory of the victims. Well played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A dark day for football, and it probably had something to do with why it took so long to reveal the truth about hillsbourgh

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

So this is what it's come to? Who's hooligans are worse? F*cking hell.

Especially cringeworthy on an Irish forum.

I often wondered why hillborough had such great coverage, but heysel was treated as if it never happened. Whenever it is brought up here, it is quickly dismissed and the person who brought it up is branded a troll.

yes terrible isn't it? :rolleyes:

BoyTst_CcAEAw0x.jpg

plaque_unveiling_06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Watched a Youtube documentary on this. It was just such a bizarre night.
    Amazing to think that despite the deaths they played the match anyway. Juventus players and fans celebrated at the end like nothing happened. Winning that match was like instant revenge for them.
    Shameful day for football, Liverpool in particular.
    At least in the aftermath of this and Hillsbourough as well as Bradford and Ibrox we got better stadiums built around Europe (except Ireland).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

In Memoria e Amicizia, in Memory and Friendship:

Rocco Acerra
    Bruno Balli
    Alfons Bos
    Giancarlo Bruschera
    Andrea Casula
    Giovanni Casula
    Nino Cerullo
    Willy Chielens
    Giuseppina Conti
    Dirk Daenecky
    Dionisio Fabbro
    Jacques François
    Eugenio Gagliano
    Francesco Galli
    Giancarlo Gonnelli
    Alberto Guarini
    Giovacchino Landini
    Roberto Lorentini
    Barbara Lusci
    Franco Martelli
    Loris Messore
    Gianni Mastrolaco
    Sergio Bastino Mazzino
    Luciano Rocco Papaluca
    Luigi Pidone
    Bento Pistolato
    Patrick Radcliffe
    Domenico Ragazzi
    Antonio Ragnanese
    Claude Robert
    Mario Ronchi
    Domenico Russo
    Tarcisio Salvi
    Gianfranco Sarto
    Giuseppe Spalaore
    Mario Spanu
    Tarcisio Venturin
    Jean Michel Walla
    Claudio Zavaroni

RIP - You'll Never Walk Alone

Remember all those the 32 from Italy, 4 from Belgium, 2 from France and 1 from Northern Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Agueroooo wrote: »
    yes terrible isn't it? :rolleyes:

BoyTst_CcAEAw0x.jpg

plaque_unveiling_06.jpg

Ok fair enough, the two clubs involved do keep it in their hearts and memories. That is probably the best way to keep it. It was a regrettable incident and in a way, it was the catalyst along with Hillsborough to ensure that matches have become safer to attend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A dark day for football, and it probably had something to do with why it took so long to reveal the truth about hillsbourgh

RIP

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

NukaCola wrote: »
    Why?

If you've been categorically at fault for one major incident and then another major incident occurs a few years later, there can be an initial assumption that you must be at fault again.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Good article here on this from last year. It's on a Liverpool related site, but written by Rory Smith of the times.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/what-about-justice-for-heysel/#.U4bzXtDMmDw.twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If you've been categorically at fault for one major incident and then another major incident occurs a few years later, there can be an initial assumption that you must be at fault again.
    In fairness, UEFA and the Belgian authorities have to take some of the blame. I certainly wouldn't blame the Liverpool fans "categorically".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

El Weirdo wrote: »
    In fairness, UEFA and the Belgian authorities have to take some of the blame. I certainly wouldn't blame the Liverpool fans "categorically".

This.

Charging other supporters and fighting in stadiums was more widespread back then. It's hard for younger fans to understand that and just how bad policing and facilities were.

It could have easily been any of many stadiia or any of many supporters that caused the tragedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A guy on Reddit posted a story on it today. It seems so bizarre nowadays that these incidents were even possible, let alone occurred.
    I posted this before, but I'll post it again if nothing else but to show why the memory of this event is so important to me, and as to why I get so angry when I see lies or people being disrespectful
    A neighbor of mine back from back when I lived in Turin used to occasionally walk me to school when my dad had to leave early for work and in exchange my dad used to cover the occasional electricity or gas bill. He was a kind albeit broken man, but he always had a real hatred of football and everything about it, and I never understood why. It was only after his passing a few years ago when I went back to his funeral that I found out he was at that game. A friend of his told me the story
    He went over as part of a congregation from FIAT who had traveled together. He was sitting in the neutral zone because demand for tickets from Juventus fans far outstripped supply and the local Italians purchased tickets for traveling Juve fans. It was mostly families young and old in the section, the Ultra's were in the far end of the stadium. When the liverpool fans broke through the fence there was an initial crush but it subsided momentarily, but as more and more liverpool fans came through the gap armed with pipes and other weapons the crush that resulted in all the deaths happened. They described the yelling and screaming and that they could hear people being crushed to death bones breaking and creaking of the stadium wall, and then it collapsed but the problem didn't stop as people were then being trampled instead of crushed, deep screams were suddenly silenced and it was apparent people were being hurt. Nobody could understand why the Liverpool fans kept charging when the screams were ringing throughout the stadium and it was obvious to everyone that people were being seriously injured. But that man with a gentle heart was there that day with a close friend of his, a man by the name of Gio. One of the men who died, not from the crush but was trampled in the aftermath. He never got over that fact and ended up drinking himself to death, thinking all along it was his fault as he had convinced Gio to go to the game with him. He never set foot in a stadium again for the rest of his life, he was terrified of the prospect, and the memories that haunted him.
    That man never found peace later in life, my hope is that he was the only one, even though deep down I know its not the case. RIP Gregorio Rambaudi, I hope you found peace wherever you are now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/26r03q/the_heysel_stadium_disaster_happened_29_years_ago/

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    A disgraceful and hopefully never to be repeated incident. RIP

Some of the posts here seem far more interested in sticking the boot in to Liverpool fans than paying any genuine remembrance or respect to the memory of the victims. Well played.

What posts are you referring to? I think that is unfair of you to say that. 39 people lost their lives if people pay respect here its not about liverpool fans it is about the juve fans

• Advertisement

What posts are you referring to? I think that is unfair of you to say that. 39 people lost their lives if people pay respect here its not about liverpool fans it is about the juve fans

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    Good article here on this from last year. It's on a Liverpool related site, but written by Rory Smith of the times.

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2013/05/what-about-justice-for-heysel/#.U4bzXtDMmDw.twitter

Good read that. In the comments there is a link to a chapter from a book called From Where I Was Standing, detailing more of what happened.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2013/05/heysel-25-years-on-book-extract/

Agueroooo wrote: »
    What?

I was replying to lloyd

I was replying to lloyd

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

5starpool wrote: »

That's a excellent read thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A stain on Liverpool FC and the game, like Hillsborough, like Bradford and many others the circumstances were symptomatic of an attitude by the authorities at all levels which developed over about 20 years which in this case involved UEFA, the Belgian FA, the Belgian police and yes the clubs.

Can anyone imagine supporters trooping off to stand in a known potential death trap to watch a game, the biggest game of the season?

Would the clubs allow the game to be played? Nope. Would the FA allow the game to be played? Nope. The Police would have everyone in for a talking to. Back then though so low was the opinion of everyone about football supporters standards were not important. Just take their money and play the game and if trouble happens just swing a few batons.

Between the three disasters mentioned 191 people died. That's what it took to change the game in this corner of the world,. people continue to die elsewhere where life in a stadium is as cheap now as it was in Europe in the past.

On a more positive note I hope Liverpool (pot 3) and Juve (pot 2) are drawn in the CL group stages, for home and away commemoration in the 30th anniversary season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mike65 wrote: »
    A stain on Liverpool FC and the game, like Hillsborough, like Bradford and many others the circumstances were symptomatic of an attitude by the authorities at all levels which developed over about 20 years which in this case involved UEFA, the Belgian FA, the Belgian police and yes the clubs.

Can anyone imagine supporters trooping off to stand in a known potential death trap to watch a game, the biggest game of the season?

Would the clubs allow the game to be played? Nope. Would the FA allow the game to be played? Nope. The Police would have everyone in for a talking to. Back then though so low was the opinion of everyone about football supporters standards were not important. Just take their money and play the game and if trouble happens just swing a few batons.

Between the three disasters mentioned 191 people died. That's what it took to change the game in this corner of the world,. people continue to die elsewhere where life in a stadium is as cheap now as it was in Europe in the past.

On a more positive note I hope Liverpool (pot 3) and Juve (pot 2) are drawn in the CL group stages, for home and away commemoration in the 30th anniversary season.

You need to add this one to your list from the same period along with another 19 needlessly lost lives

http://www.stadiumguide.com/twenty-years-ago-the-bastia-stadium-disaster/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I hope ye dont honestly for the sake of the fans. the reception will be the same as the as 05 commemoration where backs will be turned and references to hillsborough will be made and no doubt fans will be attack by the Juve Ultras again in turin

Its a ****ty situation for all if they meet in the CL:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The whole of the blame for this incident cannot lie at one door. Yes the actions of idiots ruined the lives of 39 people and their families but their actions were facilitated by UEFA and the Belgian authorities who were equally as responsible for such poor stewardship over the game. Stadium management didn't exist in these days. Gunter Schneider was a disgrace, talking absolutely no responsibility.

"Noi non ti dimenticheremo mai"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Mike I hope they don't get drawn against each other, I seem to recall a rather hostile atmosphere in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

whatever about the relevant points regarding the stewardship and policing, juventus supporters do not view the incident in the same way the liverpool support want them to.

soccerfans_wideweb__430x300.jpg

Well the 30th is going to be impossible to ignore or avoid in any event. Ultras are well **** for the most part, Juve shouldn't decide policy to suit them and the teams might well be drawn together at some point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Well the 30th is going to be impossible to ignore or avoid in any event. Ultras are well **** for the most part, Juve shouldn't decide policy to suit them and the teams might well be drawn together at some point anyway.

ultras?

oh, so it's just a minority of juventus support?

They'll be the cheerleaders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement