Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heysel disaster

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

omega man wrote: »
    RIP.

The 11 year boy who died with his father always stuck with me. How excited must he have been travelling abroad with his dad to watch his team play in a European cup final. The excitement of the build up and walking into the stadium and witnessing the colour and atmosphere. He must have been in awe of it all. Tragically he never left the stadium that night, never even saw the damn game, the celebrations and never returned home to his mother.

Truly awful stuff and as a dad who brings his young kids to stadium matches regularly the story of this boy is always in my thoughts, particularly on the anniversary.

Agreed, that is probably one of the most tragic stories from that awful night. A father and son just going to a game.

The story of the 17 year old girl who was killed, Giuseppina Conti, always struck me as well. Just a kid going to a game with her father and then losing her life. Her father survived and found her dead. I can't even imagine how that would feel.

It's a dark stain on Liverpool Football Club and hopefully the type of event we never see again. Anywhere.

It's a dark stain on Liverpool Football Club and hopefully the type of event we never see again. Anywhere.

The month of a May 1985 gave us football's darkest days, without doubt. To think that Heysel and the Bradford fire happened within the same month, it was a staggering indictment of all that was wrong with the game at every level, violence, crumbling stadiums, a failure to address issues at every single level despite the Ibrox Stadium Disaster, despite Burnden Park. Yes, Hillsborough happened years later and that was singularly the most appalling tragedy in this part of the world...but that was a tragedy that transcended football and lay squarely at the door of controlling crowds, it is more akin to disasters like the Love Parade crush in 2010. May 1985 was when football hit its lowest point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RIP to those that died at Heysel 33 years ago today. I remember watching it unfold on tv but didn't really understand what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

RIP to the 39 Juventi, especially the innocent kids among them who were victims of malicious hooliganism in the darkest hour of UEFA competitions.

Advertisement