Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on running a pub?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Im taking over a pub next week, freehold
    ive got 3 employees
    a manager and 2 barmaids
    the pub holds 100 people , bit of a rough area
    got a jukebox pool table darts board
    big tv screen with bt sports

do you lot have any advice for me in running a successful pub? any tips suggestions etc?

Ive read theres companies that provide quizzes, bingo, horse races, karaoke, card games on computer.....theres live music now and again, maybe the odd raffle etc

Id be most grateful for those with any tips , ideas or advice on running a pub

regardless if youve been managers, or publicans or drinkers or even tee totallers, any contributions gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

stpaddy99 wrote: »
    ive got 3 employees
    a manager and 2 barmaids
    the pub holds 100 people , bit of a rough area
    got a jukebox pool table darts board
    big tv screen with bt sports

do you lot have any advice for me in running a successful pub? any tips suggestions etc?

Ive read theres companies that provide quizzes, bingo, horse races, karaoke, card games on computer.....theres live music now and again, maybe the odd raffle etc

Id be most grateful for those with any tips , ideas or advice on running a pub

regardless if youve been managers, or publicans or drinkers or even tee totallers, any contributions gratefully received

Where is it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Please tell me you've run pubs before

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

Bandara wrote: »
    Please tell me you've run pubs before
    nope. run a few other businesses and still do, but never apub
    it was going cheap and i have a few people working for me who have run pubs

the pub is in south wales

nope. run a few other businesses and still do, but never apub
    it was going cheap and i have a few people working for me who have run pubs

the pub is in south wales

Why was it cheap?

Did you see the books before committing?

O and RULE NO1 is promote your pub whenever possible... Missed a trick naming it and actually where it is in the middle if nowhere (wales)

househero wrote: »
    Why was it cheap?

Did you see the books before committing?

O and RULE NO1 is promote your pub whenever possible... Missed a trick naming it and actually where it is in the middle if nowhere (wales)
    near bridgend......the last landlord running it was awful, utterly clueless, he was there 10 months and booted out. im only renting the pub for 3 months.....to see how it goes. i cant get barrells in for £100 , thats about £1.15 a pint so prices seem low.....even in a fairly poor area id expect to shift over 1000 pints a week at £2.20.

• Advertisement

near bridgend......the last landlord running it was awful, utterly clueless, he was there 10 months and booted out. im only renting the pub for 3 months.....to see how it goes. i cant get barrells in for £100 , thats about £1.15 a pint so prices seem low.....even in a fairly poor area id expect to shift over 1000 pints a week at £2.20.

We used to get in at 60 sell at 2.50. Cheap ****e wine was what made £ there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

1000 pints a week isn't much for a busy pub but is a huge target for a quiet pub.
    Depending on clientele, if you sell 1000 pints a week I would estimate turnover of between £3100 and £5500 but since you said it was a bit rough I would guess it will be closer to the 31. You have a 3 month option on the pub, so I would suggest spending your time doing nothing but getting to know your customers very well. Try not to change everything as soon as you come thought the door because it will always alienate some customers. Any changes you decide to make try and get some group of customers to think they came up with the idea( easy said). Make sure you have good drill, socket set and toolbox within reach. **** will break. If you are going to be drinking in your own pub, try to have A drink and not be slobbering on the counter at 7.45 on a Sunday evening. Best of luck. If you want any other info feel free to pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Once you run a clean pub people will come in the door, word spreads quick of new oweners in town and every scum bag, drug pusher and general person that's barred from every other pub in the country will chance getting in,
    Think local doormen for a few weeks,
    Nobody will drink in a place where they have to look over there shoulder,
    Juke box Id throw out, you control the music not the customers, same with the remotes for the tv's you decide what's goes on the tv, ie football or racing or whatever sport is on,
    Pool table I'd rule with an iron fist any messing straight out the door, no gambling what so ever,
    Your pub your rules,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

young chatty barmaids with big knockers sell more pints

ryan101 wrote: »
    young chatty barmaids with big knockers sell more pints

Some people give out about this attitude. But good looking women behind a bar are very important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Frynge wrote: »
    Some people give out about this attitude. But good looking women behind a bar are very important.

Indeed, and it's not an attitude it's just a business fact

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

ive got 3 employees
    a manager and 2 barmaids
    the last landlord running it was awful, utterly clueless, he was there 10 months and booted out

Some questions raise themselves in my mind. Are you taking on these employees with the pub? Are you going to be a hands on landlord or leave things to the manager? Does the pub's size/turnover warrant an employed manager? If the previous landlord relied on the manager to run things, are you sure that the problem was the landlord and not the manager? Maybe both? Who is the licensee (and ultimately responsible)? Will you be living on the premises?

Other thoughts that occur, in no particular order:

I'd recommend getting some training (for example from the British Institute of Innkeeping) so that at least you are up to speed with licensing laws etc (in fact training & qualifications are compulsory if you want to hold a licence).

Go through the books with a fine tooth comb to satisfy yourself that all your music/Sky/machine licences are in place and paid for. Fines in the industry can be astronomical!

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that a pint of beer bought in at £1.15 and sold for £2.20 = £1.05 profit ;) (Am sure you haven't as you're a businessperson, but many do!) Other costs that you have to factor in (and I shall no doubt miss many out as it was a while ago since I was in the trade) include wages, utilities, licences, cellar gases, cleaning, consumables, waste disposal, rates & rent (obviously), accountant's fees, insurances etc. You don't say if this is a wet trade pub or if food is on offer - if the latter then obviously there will be even more costs involved. Margins are VERY tight in the majority of pubs - that's why so many are up for sale/closing down in the UK.

Talk to your local police to establish if the pub has a known problem with trouble/drugs etc. They will want to know who's now in charge anyway and will likely visit you if you don't visit them.

Talk to the council to establish if there are any ongoing problems with regards to noise etc.

I was the landlord of a pub for 3 years and can honestly say it was probably the least enjoyable period of my life ever lol. It's a 24/7 vocation and is not for everyone. Best of luck. Oh, and listen to your existing clientele (the good ones) but don't be ruled by them. In terms of troublemakers (and you will certainly get them at the outset) I found that the one strike rule was best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Any chance of serving food? - Pie & Chips etc?, even stuff that can be heated up without the prep?

I remember a pub that charged €5 for a goodfellas pizza, no menu, just a sign saying pizza for €5, kept the punters in..

Some questions raise themselves in my mind. Are you taking on these employees with the pub?

1 yes , the other 2 employees and manager are new

Are you going to be a hands on landlord or leave things to the manager?

I wont be in the pub but ill be the money man going through all the books and buying in the stock etc

Does the pub's size/turnover warrant an employed manager? If the previous landlord relied on the manager to run things, are you sure that the problem was the landlord and not the manager? Maybe both? Who is the licensee (and ultimately responsible)? Will you be living on the premises?

no i wont be living there , ill rent the upstairs its a 3 bedrrom apartment in good condition

Im employing a manager who holds the license and has 25 years experience

ive done the insurance , bt sports at moment, may get lounge lizard (with the bingo,karaoke,cards games, horse racing, quiz night etc do you think thats worth doing? its £55 a week though)

Other thoughts that occur, in no particular order:

I'd recommend getting some training (for example from the British Institute of Innkeeping) so that at least you are up to speed with licensing laws etc (in fact training & qualifications are compulsory if you want to hold a licence).

i have no license and no experience im relying on the manager but will keep a very very close eye on the pub and all the facts and figures etc

Go through the books with a fine tooth comb to satisfy yourself that all your music/Sky/machine licences are in place and paid for. Fines in the industry can be astronomical!

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that a pint of beer bought in at £1.15 and sold for £2.20 = £1.05 profit ;) (Am sure you haven't as you're a businessperson, but many do!) Other costs that you have to factor in (and I shall no doubt miss many out as it was a while ago since I was in the trade) include wages, utilities, licences, cellar gases, cleaning, consumables, waste disposal, rates & rent (obviously), accountant's fees, insurances etc. You don't say if this is a wet trade pub or if food is on offer - if the latter then obviously there will be even more costs involved. Margins are VERY tight in the majority of pubs - that's why so many are up for sale/closing down in the UK.

wet trade. just pies pasties rissoles, possibly sandwiches. i own a taxi and minibus business so we can always go get food for the pool and darts teams or even buy in pizzas locally.

ive worked out the wages, rates, Im hoping the 3 employees will keep it clean. ive rung the insurance and have a few quotes so far, got an accountant though he may want more with the vat involved. i need to check the electrics certificate. Ive spoken to to the suppliers, who will install lines and fridge/freezer for nothing and supply beer at £1.10/1.15 a pint though say they have more offers too.....consumables, cellar gases Ive not factored in? what can you tell me there?
    utilities (water gas electrics repairs etc)

Talk to your local police to establish if the pub has a known problem with trouble/drugs etc. They will want to know who's now in charge anyway and will likely visit you if you don't visit them.

good call

Talk to the council to establish if there are any ongoing problems with regards to noise etc.

will do

I was the landlord of a pub for 3 years and can honestly say it was probably the least enjoyable period of my life ever lol. It's a 24/7 vocation and is not for everyone. Best of luck. Oh, and listen to your existing clientele (the good ones) but don't be ruled by them. In terms of troublemakers (and you will certainly get them at the outset) I found that the one strike rule was best ;)

thanks for a marvellous reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

dont fall for any ole bladder from "the Locals" the old landlord let us do that bul**** set out your stall and stick to it, you'll get the local twats coming in trying it on lookin for a slate rather than get into it with them just slowly drive them out and the alright ones will stay and the ar*eholes will drift off somewhere else, get a dog

Keep us updated and let us know of any issues you come across, it is nice to see the subtle differences between the licensed trade in Ireland and UK such as the electrics certificate.

thanks for a marvellous reply:)

No problem!

With regards to bingo, karaoke, race nights, quizzes etc, personally I'd never PAY for someone to provide those sorts of things. You say you've already got sports TV and you're taking over the pub for the months of June, July & August so I think there'll probably be enough sports TV entertainment to keep your customers entertained - isn't there something called the World Cup coming up? ;) (My pub was a music pub - no TV, only a weekly quiz night, otherwise live music, DJs and open mike nights, so I'm not the best qualified to advise on those other means of "entertainment").

If there's the demand for a quiz night then they're easy to put on yourself at no cost - prizes being vouchers to spend over the bar always work well ;)

Cellar gases - I imagine there'll already be a supply contract in place from e.g. BOC or whoever operates in your area.

Consumables - never underestimate the cost of these lol. Glassware (glasses tend to "go missing" all the time!), optics, toilet paper, cleaning products etc.

Cleaning a pub is pretty loathsome - are you sure your bar staff are going to be happy doing this? Don't forget that keeping the beer lines clean is paramount too - ensure that you have a regular routine in place for this chore. You'll need a regular window cleaner too.

As others have said, you may only be there for 3 months, so just spend that time getting a feel for the place and your customers to see if it's what you want. Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I am a trustee shareholder in a pub group that operates in the lower end of Dublin socio economic areas.Sports on TV is huge but for all the big events, Cheltenham & major soccer events, a bunch of sliced pans and a heap of Aldi/Lidl sliced ham are made into sandwiches and given out gratis. The punters love them and don't need to leave to go home for grub, great investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

pedronomix wrote: »
    I am a trustee shareholder in a pub group that operates in the lower end of Dublin socio economic areas.Sports on TV is huge but for all the big events, Cheltenham & major soccer events, a bunch of sliced pans and a heap of Aldi/Lidl sliced ham are made into sandwiches and given out gratis. The punters love them and don't need to leave to go home for grub, great investment.

wedges, chips, cocktail sausages are so cheap in aldi/lidl that you should be able to keep punters in the gaff for an extra few drinks. cheap pizzas or pizza slices are a great idea.

cellar gases - ring around and try get cheaper prices.
    glasses - you'd be amazed what you'd find on the likes of donedeal over here, I'm sure wales has an equivalent.

How's it going stpaddy99? Enjoying it?!

• Advertisement

its going allright thanks for asking.....pubs been on its knees for years, now we have guinness on tap, carlsberg, strongbow and a new welsh brains bitter.....live music is helping. though the sweltering heat hit last weeks sales a bit. few idiots but the locals tend to help us get rid of them....got afew pool and darts teams etc any more tips? the tips on here were very helpful. thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

its going allright thanks for asking.....pubs been on its knees for years, now we have guinness on tap, carlsberg, strongbow and a new welsh brains bitter.....live music is helping. though the sweltering heat hit last weeks sales a bit. few idiots but the locals tend to help us get rid of them....got afew pool and darts teams etc any more tips? the tips on here were very helpful. thanks everyone

Maybe a few table quizzes or open mic to get new people in! What kind of food are you doing? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bonus ball for the lotto on a Saturday. £2 quid a man. It's small, but the winner might throw it all back in the till. You could hike it up to a fiver, but it's a bit dear for some guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Depending where you are - look at a local poker league?
    My brother ran a league a few years ago and it was massively popular when he stopped other people took it over and it's still going.
    If it's a family pub type set up then I'd do a kids ice cream sundae bar at the weekends - parents will spend more on kids than themselves as a luxury but not as a staple in the pub trade.
    Great idea in North Wales was a pub run - they had a bus run between venues every hour for a week, (guess about 14 pubs in a 2 hour loop) collecting punters and dropping them off. Local business got involved and sent out staff and themed days out. Bit of effort to set up but good craic and people would go once it was sold to them.
    Tippit. Bizarre game. Great Craic. Challenge other pubs. Sometimes known as Spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

There's one market that you're not tapping and it's massive and that's real ale.
    Contact these guys for advise:
    http://camra.org.uk

I'm serious on it, I won't go into a pub if all I'm offered is the bland crap on tap that's in every pub. I ain't the only one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

There's one market that you're not tapping and it's massive and that's real ale.
    Contact these guys for advise:
    http://camra.org.uk

I'm serious on it, I won't go into a pub if all I'm offered is the bland crap on tap that's in every pub. I ain't the only one either.

Really?
    I love real ale and all that but it's a struggle to get it through the taps - unless you get you and your beer bus of mates out every Friday ... Maybe you and your Camra mates could do Bridgend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Really?
    I love real ale and all that but it's a struggle to get it through the taps - unless you get you and your beer bus of mates out every Friday ... Maybe you and your Camra mates could do Bridgend?

I ain't in camra, as they're not in ireland. But I will actively seek out a pub that sells top end craft beer and has a few cask engines. There's a reason why the craft beer pubs are busy most nights of the week and it's not because the booze is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Hi OP and others,

Curious to know this is going for you so far? I am looking to do something similar next year, going back to working in a bar here(London) shortly with a view to increasing my experience on the business/management side so I can lease my own place eventually, possibly next year.

Have you had any major hurdles so far? Anything you would do differently?

Also what resources did you use to find the pub? Was it offered to you or did you use a professional service? Are you aware of any resources for finding out about pubs for lease?

Cheers

frAg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Honestly offer free sandwiches and cocktail sausages around ten each night.

Works up a thirst and stops people leaving to get a chipper or Chinese cause their peckish.

Goes a long way, speaking from experience here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Serve a decent wine. If there are pubs nearby one wine drinker who is not happy can pull a full group away.

Advertisement