Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restraint Strap for Wall Plate

Options
  • 29-05-2014 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi

I'm a DIY builder and am building a kitchen extension currently. So far so good, I've managed to solve problems as they arise, and now I've reached the roof. I need Restraint Straps (for holding down the Wall Plates) which have both a Bend and a Twist.

I've tried loads of builders providers and researched the internet but it seems they cannot be had in Ireland. They all have Restraints which have either a Bend or a Twist, but none which contain both features. I'm prepared to travel anywhere in Ireland to buy and collect them.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Why do you need a bend and twist type (any pics of what you're strapping down), a "L" type tie down strap is pretty much the norm for most situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 LivingMan

Because the Lintels run the full width from both side wall. So there is no wall underneath the lintels to attach an ordinary "L" type to. Hence I wish to attach the restraint strap to the side walls and twist it so's it bends over the wall plate. (I could show pics but hopefully this is sufficient clarification). Thank you.

A picture would help, but I think I understand your predicament, "L" could only be fixed through to lintol, no blockwork at all. Your proposal would mean that strapping (however you achieve it) would be spaced pretty far apart. Is wall plate in place? If not I would suggest bolting down if possible (this was how it was routinely done before straps were common place, 30 years or so ago), using an expanding anchor or chemical anchor if needs be. As a matter of interest I presume you have some blockwork above the lintols? You need blockwork above standard precast lintols before a load (like a roof or floor) can be built as on their own the lintols have very little strength and rely on blockwork to create a "composite lintel" effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

LivingMan wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Why not put the twist strap into a vice and bend it at 90 degree wherever it suits to bend it.

Thank you for sticking with the problem. I may have misled you slightly .... I do have the composite lintel effect. There's a row of blocks and then a row of blocks on their sides to close the cavity. Above that would be the wall plate. So that's 13 inches of block above the lintel. An engineer friend suggested using "Express Anchors" above the lintels and then the Restraint Straps at each end attached to the Side Walls. I bought the Express Anchors ... it's hard to believe that they would have the strength to resist wind uplift etc. Hence I'm keen to put the Restraint Straps at each end for my peace of mind!

I'm considering contacting my sister in Manchester with a view to getting her to post on Restraint Straps (as the Builder Provider only posts within England). These straps are shown on the website of Builder Depot.

• Advertisement

Just saw the suggestion to put the twisted strap in a vice and bend it. I have thought of that but I imagine that at a microscopic level the outer edge of the bend would be stretched and weakened. Also possibly protective galvanise might be damaged. It certainly would shortcut the whole affair. If all else fails then I'd have nothing to lose by doing that.

Just saw the suggestion to put the twisted strap in a vice and bend it. I have thought of that but I imagine that at a microscopic level the outer edge of the bend would be stretched and weakened.

You are not working at NASA assembling a rocket, how do you think they make the standard L shaped strap?

I think you're right about the express anchors- great for fixing studs and plates to walls and frame fixing etc but I don't know what kind of pull-out resistance they'd have, especially in blockwork and when fixing 3" think plates to begin with. Still think a good chemical anchor or a quality expanding anchor would be a top job, something like this:

http://www.constructionfixings.com/productdatasheets/throughbolt.htm

A bit of careful marking out (bore holes in plate oversize to allow tolerance and use a larger washer),shim out and you'd have a rock solid wall plate ready for roofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm considering contacting my sister in Manchester with a view to getting her to post on Restraint Straps (as the Builder Provider only posts within England). These straps are shown on the website of Builder Depot.

http://www.parcelmotel.com

will give you an address in NI

Thank you Jack of all regarding the expanding anchor. It would certainly inspire more confidence.

Sir Arthur Daley thank you too. I enjoyed your NASA reference! I would not know how they put the bend on Restraint Straps. It could be a vice or it could be a process which they understand will not weaken the strap at the critical bend.

• Advertisement

GcTest50, thank you. I am aware of the ParcelMotel concept as by coincidence there is one in the grounds of my local pub. I should have said that the Engish Builder Providers will only deliver in England ... (I said "post within England"). So I don't think that ParcelMotel would work.

I've just got a text back from my sister in Manchester who says that she is willing to try to get the straps over there and then post them onto me. If that works then all will be well.

Meanwhile thanks to you all. I'll put this on hold until I see if that works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Johnniep, thanks for the bat suggestion. However although they say on their brochure "other sizes bends/twists available on request" they do not do so. I rang the Bat company and asked them about this. They didn't really deal with the public but told me to talk to their Rep for my area. I phoned him and he was a nice guy who tried his best but failed... something to do with they now import their stuff and don't have the machines to twist etc.

It leaves me wondering what do builders do if they want these straps. I mean, they do exist as I see them on websites in Britain. So builders must use them. Its not the first time since I started this job that I've had to send to England for something which I could not get in Ireland.

It leaves me wondering what do builders do if they want these straps.

Ill ask you again, how do you think they make the standard L shaped strap?

650gs, thanks for that brochure. I'm working my way through it. Interesting that what my engineer friend suggested (Express Anchor) looks very like the "Sprint Nail Express" in your brochure. But it says it is only "suitable for window fixings". Hmmm!

Hi Sir Arthur Daley. I've answered your query. I checked out your profile and it says at the bottom "If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem". Perhaps that's why you are so insistent that a vice will do the job. Sure the hammer and the vice will do some jobs but they are crude instruments. They will certainly bend the restraint strap. The Simpson Heavy Duty Restraint Strap might best answer your query. It says "extremely strong due to the reinforced bend". They have used an engineering process (not a vice) to create that bend. There are things which we cannot see such as a microscopic reduction in strength. When a storm tries to rip off a roof, then then Bend of a Strap comes under tremendous leverage forces. The Moments of Force are located at the Bend.
    As for the comment "you are not working at NASA assembling a rocket", does that mean that unless you are building a rocket, you can throw all science and knowledge out the window? There are building rules for good reasons. There are scientific and engineering rules for good reasons.
    There are also rules of good communication. Don't get personal. Stick to the point of the original topic. Don't get offended if someone disagrees with you. They are disagreeing with the point and not with you personally.
    I won't be continuing this conversation but I'm sure I'll enjoy your comments! bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ill ask you again, how do you think they make the standard L shaped strap?
    Presumably by bending it first then hot dip galvanising afterwards. It wouldn't make sense to galvanise first then risk cracking that protective coating by subsequent bending. The coating can endure slight bending, ie a large bend radius but not a sharp 90 degree bend.

I'd be inclined to think the same way as the OP and try to get the proper strap designed for the job, however if that proved unfruitful I'd probably just bend the local straps then paint with a suitable primer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dathi

Thank you for sticking with the problem. I may have misled you slightly .... I do have the composite lintel effect. There's a row of blocks and then a row of blocks on their sides to close the cavity. Above that would be the wall plate. .

the accredited construction details no longer advise closing the top of the cavity with a block on its side due to thermal bridging . http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad,18751,en.pdf

dathi, thank you. I hadn't seen that before. All the diagrams I've seen had the closer block just barely sitting on the opposite leaf, as indeed they had with the window sills. I see that your reference is 2008. Time I caught up!
    Up Kilkenny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

Thanks for the suggestion Specialized105. Indeed I did use Express Nails and got Straps with Twist and Bend from England via my sister. This post is a bit old at this stage. I see that my last comment was in May this year. I have since got the roof on. So, gradually getting there.
    Thanks to all.

Advertisement