Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options
  • 29-05-2014 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

The rent in Dublin is just heartlessly crazy, is there any hope of ever getting a single place within walking distance to the city center for around 300? :( How do people afford such high prices and not live on tesco spaghetti or nothing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In the real world rent should follow the rules of economics if people refuse to pay crazy rents, then the price should come down. Landlords will lower prices if their properties are lying vacant, so they obviously aren't.

Then again, we know that Ireland and its housing/rental market does not follow the real world rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

NIMAN wrote: »
    In the real world rent should follow the rules of economics if people refuse to pay crazy rents, then the price should come down. Landlords will lower prices if their properties are lying vacant, so they obviously aren't.

Then again, we know that Ireland and its housing/rental market does not follow the real world rules.

it is not as simple as that unfortunately. Economics and the laws of supply and demand will be the main factor in prices.

There is limited supply on the market and as such prices are being driven up. Landlords are not housing charities and like farmers will try to make hay when the sun shines.

However, should supply come onboard you will see an easing back on rental prices.

Other things to note with regards to the costs of providing rental accommodation .. with the introduction of the property tax, USC on rental income and the increase generally in taxation on rental incomes the cost base for the landlord has increased significantly and like all other industries this will have an effect on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

€300 to live on your own in a European capital within walking distance of city centre? Slightly unrealistic to be honest. Have prices ever been that low?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

maybe he means 300 per week, or 300 a month for a room (ie. house share)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

maybe he means 300 per week?

Doubt it, I'd say with €1200 a month he'd have a few options to rent. Also depends what your definition of walking distance is - for me it would be about 2 miles; my brother considers anything outside D1-4 too far. :D

Don't think he means a house share as he's looking for a 'single place'. Or maybe he meant 'any place at all'. Hard to judge what you mean OP, too much confusion with your initial post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The rent in Dublin is just heartlessly crazy, is there any hope of ever getting a single place within walking distance to the city center for around 300? :( How do people afford such high prices and not live on tesco spaghetti or nothing?

Per month? Per week?

Unfortunately rental supply is very tight at the moment and the post-student lift has been quite small this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I'm thinking about renting a room in Sandyford whats the going rate does anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There are 53 places in Dublin city centre at or below €300/month for sharing. For renting a flat, €300 is nowhere near realistic.

Carpenter wrote: »
    I'm thinking about renting a room in Sandyford whats the going rate does anyone know

Depends on the room really. Is it single or double? Ensuite? Will you be live in landlord or subletting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Two years ago there were tons of places, they kept springing up, but I felt 300 per month was too expensive for me back then. A year ago I was in a place for 350 but had to leave, however since then the prices have just become heartless, places that were 400 are now 450 or even 500, sometimes even 600. Having had to beat any hope out of myself over the past year and settle on the crazy 400 per month, at the expense of eating + living completely stressed out, even that isn't enough now... How do people on the dole cope?

• Advertisement

Two years ago there were tons of places, they kept springing up, but I felt 300 per month was too expensive for me back then. A year ago I was in a place for 350 but had to leave, however since then the prices have just become heartless, places that were 400 are now 450 or even 500, sometimes even 600. Having had to beat any hope out of myself over the past year and settle on the crazy 400 per month, at the expense of eating + living completely stressed out, even that isn't enough now... How do people on the dole cope?

What proportion of your income goes on rent? There's a rule of thumb that says you should spend no more than 30% of your net income on rent.

It would be 80-85% including bills (not food), and life has made this the only feasible option.

It would be 80-85% including bills (not food), and life has made this the only feasible option.

How much are your bills? If they're €100/month then you're paying €500 for rent + bills, which at 80% of your income is less than the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

People on the dole get rent allowance.

If you're spending 85% of your wage on bills and rent you're better off either looking for a new job or signing on. That is crazy money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

People on the dole get rent allowance.

If you're spending 85% of your wage on bills and rent you're better off either looking for a new job or signing on. That is crazy money.

Or reduce the amount you're paying on rent and bills?

You have to be living on your own for 9 months to get rent allowance, plus nearly every apartment on daft does not take rent allowance anyway. I'm in college trying to study math and physics, trying to find a place just to be left t.f. alone so I can work without bothering anybody, but this nonsense has lost me so much time and nearly ruined it many times. Such a nightmare.

What's the student loan situation like these days? Can you not have a word with the bank and see what they can do for you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You have to be living on your own for 9 months to get rent allowance, plus nearly every apartment on daft does not take rent allowance anyway. I'm in college trying to study math and physics, trying to find a place just to be left t.f. alone so I can work without bothering anybody, but this nonsense has lost me so much time and nearly ruined it many times. Such a nightmare.

Eh no you don't have to be living on your own for six months to get rent allowance, you have to be renting privately for six months (which can include a house share) and be receiving benefits to qualify for rent allowance.

Are you on benefits or working?

Why do you need to live on your own? Can't you use libraries and your bedroom to study?

Honestly sounds like you've unrealistic expectations if your income is as low as you are saying (about €650 per month?)

Yes I know it's lavish and completely unrealistic by the heartless standards of people who like to charge crazy money for tiny apartments, but I have hope nonetheless.

I'm already six grand in debt to pay for college, I have not lived alone for six months but am not able to live at home anymore. I cannot move into an apartment with people as I have to force them to live as though they were in a library, or else get out of the house all day and come back only to sleep, live on eggshells if I need to do an all-nighter of work etc... etc...

All I want is to be left alone, and am willing to pay crazy money to live in a tiny box, but now it seems I can't even do that, the price of a small box is now at least 440, which is absolutely crazy.

Is there any hope of this reversing?

Honestly, no, there's no hope of it reversing. At least not in the short term. The market is undersupplied.

The truth is you can't afford to live alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes I know it's lavish and completely unrealistic by the heartless standards of people who like to charge crazy money for tiny apartments, but I have hope nonetheless.

I'm already six grand in debt to pay for college, I have not lived alone for six months but am not able to live at home anymore. I cannot move into an apartment with people as I have to force them to live as though they were in a library, or else get out of the house all day and come back only to sleep, live on eggshells if I need to do an all-nighter of work etc... etc...

All I want is to be left alone, and am willing to pay crazy money to live in a tiny box, but now it seems I can't even do that, the price of a small box is now at least 440, which is absolutely crazy.

Not a chance, especially considering the change to laws about bedsits that came in this year.

Do you think there might be a wider issue here in how you interact socially in general with people? You can't live at home, you can't live with people because they won't accommodate your frankly outlandish requirements, so you are paying through the nose, rather than address these?

The vast majority of people manage to share when they are in college without it coming to blows.

How are you supporting yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Is there any chance of you being able to rent a flat in Dublin for 300 euro a month? No, there isnt and there never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Honestly, no, there's no hope of it reversing. At least not in the short term. The market is undersupplied.

The truth is you can't afford to live alone.

Somebody on the pin pointed out that people in social housing are not expected to have to house share so why do people who are paying their own way? This goes for young people starting out in their careers and paying tax that funds the social welfare system.

Not attacking you but the question needs to be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Is there much social housing in the city centre? Not being sarcastic, genuinely curious. I'll let ya sleep on my balcony for 300 a month OP?

440 is not crazy money in Dublin. You'd get a semi-decent room in a student house for that money - and that would not be a clean house let me tell you.

What kind of job are you working that only pays like 800 euro a month? I think you should sign on.

440 is not crazy money in Dublin. You'd get a semi-decent room in a student house for that money - and that would not be a clean house let me tell you.

What kind of job are you working that only pays like 800 euro a month? I think you should sign on.

OP wants to live on their own.

Stheno wrote: »
    OP wants to live on their own.

I realize that, so either he needs to change his mind or reel his notion of "crazy money" in by a few hundred notches.

Is there much social housing in the city centre? Not being sarcastic, genuinely curious. I'll let ya sleep on my balcony for 300 a month OP?

Is it of the Romeo and Juliet variety balcony

julietBalcony_2393735b.jpg

or a more concrete jungle variety balcony

NI%20-%20Balcony%20railings%20copy.jpg

The romance of a Romeo & Juliet style balcony would provide some shield against the cold I must say :cool:

Stheno wrote: »
    Not a chance, especially considering the change to laws about bedsits that came in this year.

Do you think there might be a wider issue here in how you interact socially in general with people? You can't live at home, you can't live with people because they won't accommodate your frankly outlandish requirements, so you are paying through the nose, rather than address these?

The vast majority of people manage to share when they are in college without it coming to blows.

How are you supporting yourself?

Can we not just assume the best about my situation rather than trying to peg me off as an outlandishly socially-awkward lunatic? I'd rather not divulge my life story on the internet as a way to show you there are no other options in my situation, so, for the sake of argument ;)

Maybe 440 isn't crazy money to you, but to me and certainly to anybody on the dole it is. Sure I could just eat cake though, right? :p

I noticed back in November there was a positive article about housing prices, and then it seems like everybody jumped on the bandwagon and drove their prices up. Two years ago 300-350 around Rathmines was all I was seeing on daft, and I felt it was too much, who knew it'd turn into this :(

• Advertisement

Sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending. 440 is a lot to me too, which is why I'm commuting (2 hours each way) to work for the foreseeable future. You need to understand that 440 is not enough to get you a spot on your own, not a chance. Either your perspective on finance or your expected living conditions needs to change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement