Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Now this one is crazy, €1400 for what is almost a studio flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

That two-seater couch, plonked in the middle of the room, is possibly the most depressing thing I have seen in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They could have at least put in some photos of the place after it was refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jester77 wrote: »
    They could have at least put in some photos of the place after it was refurbished.

That is it refurbished. The kitchen, white goods, furniture and TV are all brand new. Carpet was cleaned. Bathroom isn't new but it was cleaned very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

That is it refurbished. The kitchen, white goods, furniture and TV are all brand new. Carpet was cleaned. Bathroom isn't new but it was cleaned very well.

It's not bad, just the price is very high but that's the market at the moment. I am always suspicious when there's pictures missing though, in this case the bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Lux23 wrote: »
    I am glad, I'm a fully grown, scary woman and not some young and vulnerable student looking for somewhere to rent!!

I doubt many students would fall for that. I know 18 year old me wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

wow :eek: would hate to have seen the before photos

Location, location, location. Oh, the ad actually says that. It's not the worst ever, and the great location is what is pushing the price up such a ridiculous degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

That two-seater couch, plonked in the middle of the room, is possibly the most depressing thing I have seen in a long time

It's a new innovation called the "crying sofa".
    Accommodation comprises of extra large living room with flat screen TV & fully fitted kitchen off. Double bedroom with storage and master bathroom with hot press. The living room has beautiful views over the Grand Canal. The apartment is located within close proximity to the city centre with great transport links. Call now to arrange your appointment on this great apartment.
    I wonder if you have to share that living room with another flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

gaius c wrote: »
    It's a new innovation called the "crying sofa".

I wonder if you have to share that living room with another flat?

That'd then involve a shared kitchen, which isn't legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

There's so many small things that could really improve that flat but at €1400/month in this market they're not going to bother. Things like putting in a breakfast bar would increase the surface area for workspace in the kitchen and storage. Looking at it now there's hardly a spot to put a chopping board down apart from on top of the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Tarzana wrote: »
    Location, location, location. Oh, the ad actually says that. It's not the worst ever, and the great location is what is pushing the price up such a ridiculous degree.

And the gorgeous sash windows and high ceilings. Its a blank canvass, tenant would need to buy rugs, prints, plants and perhaps a butchers block, but there is really nothing wrong with that flat that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Lovely hallway as well and yeah, top location.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I doubt many students would fall for that. I know 18 year old me wouldn't have.

Well, I hope so.

MouseTail wrote: »
    And the gorgeous sash windows and high ceilings. Its a blank canvass, tenant would need to buy rugs, prints, plants and perhaps a butchers block, but there is really nothing wrong with that flat that I can see.

Yeah, it looks pretty nice. As said above, more could have been done with it, but they really didn't need to try. The thing about sash windows is they can be pretty draughty and coupled with the high ceilings, it could be a pretty cold gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, it looks pretty nice. As said above, more could have been done with it, but they really didn't need to try. The thing about sash windows is they can be pretty draughty and coupled with the high ceilings, it could be a pretty cold gaff.

Beat me too it, that place will be a icebox in wintertime. Single glazed windows, high ceilings and lack of any real insulation. I wouldn't be surprised if the central heating was a single storage heater in the hallway as it wouldn't have been the first time I'd seen that.

Beat me too it, that place will be a icebox in wintertime. Single glazed windows, high ceilings and lack of any real insulation. I wouldn't be surprised if the central heating was a single storage heater in the hallway as it wouldn't have been the first time I'd seen that.

So high rent + high leccy bills. Great, sign me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

If you're buying your own place in Galway the choice is even worse.

At least the items in it wont be the leftovers from someone else's house. After awhile anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jester77 wrote: »
    Not in the main cities. A 100m^2 apt will cost at least 1200 cold here in Hamburg unless you live in an undesireable neighbourhood.
    same in Munich
    http://www.immobilienscout24.de/Suche/S-8/Wohnung-Miete/Bayern/Muenchen/-/-/100,00-
    (sorted by size so all the 100 sqm ones are listed at the start)
    for more central areas youre looking at well over 1200 a month.

Probably slightly off topic to mention that on a €1200 a month rental you're also paying €2856 agency finders fee plus €3600 more on a deposit, and a month rent in advance adding to a cash outlay of €7656 on day 1, and on top you always need a flat worth of furniture (possibly including installing a kitchen!) - but it does illustrate that renting is not as cheap abroad as you'd think!

Ah yes I'm sure it's more expensive in different places, merely referring to my friends who live in smaller yet big enough cities. They have settled on a 90m^2 place for 950, including all fees, including things like bins, water and heating.

I do admit the 3 month deposit is a big offset at the start, the only advantage there is that the tenants deposit is kept in a bank account earning interest for them.

Agent fees are annoying in these countries, well used to them by now though, good to hear that is changing in Germany.

On the furniture front (the kitchen is fitted), they have all their own furniture already, I would much prefer to buy my own furniture but I can't really here, I would never view that as a setback, do people really want to live years in places where furniture may be of a bad standard, I dislike that here. I'm not a student.

Certainly not a cheap cost at the outset as you say anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

That's exactly my point. It is clearly a cheaply decorated, uninsulated flat that quite possibly leaks frequently(as is my experience with period buildings, especially with landlords who put the bare minimum effort into them)- for €1400 I would expect either a properly modernised period apartment or a new build.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I'm not sure that this apartment should be focussed on too much, certainly not a whole page saying why its not worth it. It's just location. Every city has its particular area which is crazy, and shouldn't be used to extrapolate prices / behaviours / quality across the board. In London its Kensington, where £2k a month would get you, if you're lucky, a tiny below ground damp studio with no light and a bad smell. In NYC its Soho, where parking spaces are on the market for £1m.

You can get beautiful apartments in Dublin for that price. Islandbridge by the river would get you a really nice, big, light flat with views out over Memorial park.

I'm not sure that this apartment should be focussed on too much, certainly not a whole page saying why its not worth it. It's just location. Every city has its particular area which is crazy, and shouldn't be used to extrapolate prices / behaviours / quality across the board. In London its Kensington, where £2k a month would get you, if you're lucky, a tiny below ground damp studio with no light and a bad smell. In NYC its Soho, where parking spaces are on the market for £1m.

You can get beautiful apartments in Dublin for that price. Islandbridge by the river would get you a really nice, big, light flat with views out over Memorial park.

That's a good call. Bellevue is a lovely complex. The only thing the area lacks is a convenience shop. Bus routes are not as good as they used to be either. A lot of the routes don't go down Conningham road anymore.
    Clancy Quay across the road is fairly pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ah yes I'm sure it's more expensive in different places, merely referring to my friends who live in smaller yet big enough cities. They have settled on a 90m^2 place for 950, including all fees, including things like bins, water and heating.

I do admit the 3 month deposit is a big offset at the start, the only advantage there is that the tenants deposit is kept in a bank account earning interest for them.

Agent fees are annoying in these countries, well used to them by now though, good to hear that is changing in Germany.

On the furniture front (the kitchen is fitted), they have all their own furniture already, I would much prefer to buy my own furniture but I can't really here, I would never view that as a setback, do people really want to live years in places where furniture may be of a bad standard, I dislike that here. I'm not a student.

Certainly not a cheap cost at the outset as you say anyway.

And you can get a 3 bed semi in limerick for less than that. Surely if you're going to compare costs in cities, it'd make more sense to compare capitals?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seeing the price and then Let agreed beside it now is fairly depressing, if people are willing to pay €1,400 for that, imagine what a nice place would cost! :eek:

Loughc wrote: »
    Seeing the price and then Let agreed beside it now is fairly depressing, if people are willing to pay €1,400 for that, imagine what a nice place would cost! :eek:

It really is all location (bang in the city centre), plus it's really not that bad. But I wouldn't rent it myself, it'd be a 'mare to heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mr_seer

gaius c wrote: »
    That's a good call. Bellevue is a lovely complex. The only thing the area lacks is a convenience shop. Bus routes are not as good as they used to be either. A lot of the routes don't go down Conningham road anymore.
    Clancy Quay across the road is fairly pricey though.

Bellevue is nicely designed but poorly built. I rented a place there for a few years. The sound insulation was awful, most apartments had problems with mould and they were generally poorly built. Typical Liam Carroll stuff

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And you can get a 3 bed semi in limerick for less than that. Surely if you're going to compare costs in cities, it'd make more sense to compare capitals?

Probably should only compare capitals, you are right.

As for the comparison, take note that all their bills are paid in 950 which is fairly significant and the city has something like 6-8 times the population of Limerick city (Dublin is 10 times limerick for example). But anyway this is all beside the point.

I am just a fan of their rent control over there but I imagine some here would not be :D
    Although I'm sure they would like the 3 months deposit and a lot more regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Was about to post the link to below apt which i thought was fair price

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/43-rathborne-drive-earlswood-ashtown-dublin/1486009/?dgo=1&t_rd=1

But hey-the price went up or got corrected I should say 20 mins after it was published :(
    A year ago 3 beds were at this price in the area, madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Signed my lease today on a new apartment, rent isn't too bad and location is perfect. Phew!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement