Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

OP here - I finally got an amazing (huge!) apartment for basically 350 a month off some lovely people, only 15-20 minutes walk to the city center :cool:

Had I listened to some the wise sages in this thread with their realistic wisdom I'd be living an awful life comparatively, you guys keep paying crazy money and telling yourself it's fair and makes sense, rationalizing with whatever grandpa wisdom you need to do so, I'll continue to be the unrealistic one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

OP here - I finally got an amazing (huge!) apartment for basically 350 a month off some lovely people, only 15-20 minutes walk to the city center :cool:

Had I listened to some the wise sages in this thread with their realistic wisdom I'd be living an awful life comparatively, you guys keep paying crazy money and telling yourself it's fair and makes sense, rationalizing with whatever grandpa wisdom you need to do so, I'll continue to be the unrealistic one ;)

350 a month for your own 'huge' apartment 1 mile from the city centre? Where is it?

Sorry, that's simply not believable. Where is it?

"How you, O Athenians, have been affected by my accusers, I cannot tell; but I know that they almost made me forget who I was, so persuasively did they speak; and yet they have hardly uttered a word of truth. But of the many falsehoods told by them, there was one which quite amazed me; I mean when they said that you should be upon your guard and not allow yourselves to be deceived by the force of my eloquence. "
    http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/socrates/apology.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I just read it as people taking time to give honest advice. Your tone is a little unpleasant and petty tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'd have to agree it's very hard to believe, unless you're getting it from family or are splitting the bill with someone else. You wouldn't get a decent room in a house share for that. Have you moved in yet and are you sure it's not per week? I've seen some scams on Daft where the apartment appears fantastic with too good to be true rent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭EmilyHoward

OP here - I finally got an amazing (huge!) apartment for basically 350 a month off some lovely people, only 15-20 minutes walk to the city center :cool

"Basically" €350 a month? Well is it €350 a month or not?

Also curious to know what area you are renting this apartment in for that price. You have to forgive people for being skeptical when you search daft.ie for apartment to let (anywhere in) Dublin for €350 or less you get a grand total of 2 results - and both are for rooms in shared accomodation and shouldn't even be listed under apartments to let.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm sorry but that's complete BS. There's parking spaces in Dublin for higher rent than that. I'm glad you found a place OP but there's no reason to either a) come back here and lie about the rent or b) deliberately omit some details.

Well I don't want to give too much details because it's absolutely nobodies business tbh either take me at my word or don't, of all the names I've been called in this thread: unrealistic, socially awkward, a celtic tiger cub, petty... I think 'liar' is gonna be hardest to bear :rolleyes:

I've been in the place (a good area close to town) for a while, absolutely no problems with it, no sharing, no help, no standards flaws or any nonsense like that, just a perfect place which is amazingly so big that it caters to my irrational demand for quietness so I can study, even if it somehow becomes loud in one place :cool:

I'm so lucky I'm finally getting back on track, this whole ordeal has been an absolute f*cking nightmare :mad:

Well I don't want to give too much details because it's absolutely nobodies business tbh either take me at my word or don't, of all the names I've been called in this thread: unrealistic, socially awkward, a celtic tiger cub, petty... I think 'liar' is gonna be hardest to bear :rolleyes:

I've been in the place (a good area close to town) for a while, absolutely no problems with it, no sharing, no help, no standards flaws or any nonsense like that, just a perfect place which is amazingly so big that it caters to my irrational demand for quietness so I can study, even if it somehow becomes loud in one place :cool:

I'm so lucky I'm finally getting back on track, this whole ordeal has been an absolute f*cking nightmare :mad:

Would you mind letting the rest of us who are paying €1000+/month for equivalent accommodation in on your secrets? Are you friends or related to the landlord by any chance? Did you discover the property on daft.ie or some other channel we aren't aware of? I'm not trying to antagonize you, genuinely interested in answers to these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

If you're talking about an apartment share, this *might* be true, but is still unlikely enough.

If you're not talking about an apartment share, this story isn't true.

It's one or the other, and very likely neither.

The fact that you said "basically 350" highlights the fancifulness of your post.

• Advertisement

Sarn wrote: »
    I'd have to agree it's very hard to believe, unless you're getting it from family or are splitting the bill with someone else. You wouldn't get a decent room in a house share for that. Have you moved in yet and are you sure it's not per week? I've seen some scams on Daft where the apartment appears fantastic with too good to be true rent.

Could well be a scam, but even scammers don't advertise THAT low a price. :pac:

Would you mind letting the rest of us who are paying €1000+/month for equivalent accommodation in on your secrets? Are you friends or related to the landlord by any chance? Did you discover the property on daft.ie or some other channel we aren't aware of? I'm not trying to antagonize you, genuinely interested in answers to these questions.

Just daft, never met the (really nice) people before, why are you (apparently unhappily) paying 1000+ for accommodation when there are over 30 places on daft near the city under 700? :confused:
    Tarzana wrote: »
    If you're talking about an apartment share, this *might* be true, but is still unlikely enough.

The fact that you said "basically 350" highlights the fancifulness of your post.

The fact you posted this after I explicitly said I wasn't sharing highlights the fancifulness of your interest in my answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wow fair ****s to you! Now do you mind posting a link to the advert, as well as tomorrow's edition of the irish times (I'll even paypal you the cost of the paper if you do) in the exact same photo as the advert? Because if not your like the chap over in the motors forum who claimed to have an evo and got caught out.

Please forgive the scepticism but it's simple to come along, say you managed to find your own apartment for 350 in dublin city and not have any evidence to back up your claim. I apologise in advance, but you'd have better chance of getting me to believe that Jesus was the son of god, than you renting you're own big apartment in the city for 350, without any evidence.

The fact you posted this after I explicitly said I wasn't sharing highlights the fancifulness of your interest in my answers.

See, the thing is, if you're going to write a gloating post, you're going to have to not omit details. If you are paying €350/month for a large apartment all to yourself, you are leaving out key information. Gloating about a situation that doesn't reflect the current market for whatever reason (and there IS a reason, you're just not sharing that with us) is a little bit silly and childish, don't you think?

You didn't find a large apartment near the city centre for €350/month in the current market, so you need to explain why you got it so cheap. Otherwise, well, you're not going to be believed.

And you said you don't care if you're believed, which is grand. But then why post about it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Well done. It can be a very stressful situation and im glad it worked out for you.

Yes I just wanted to gloat in the face of people who told me it was impossible or called me names and make sure they know how absolutely awful and detrimental to happiness their opinions are, and hopefully motivate some people who are still stuck. After that it's boring, and I guess not believing me is a defense against my gloating, so everybody wins.

Just daft, never met the (really nice) people before, why are you (apparently unhappily) paying 1000+ for accommodation when there are over 30 places on daft near the city under 700? :confused:

700? Why even pay that. I'm more interested in one of these huge ones you have found for half that price. Does your landlord have any more properties to let in or near Dublin city center?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Calling accommodation huge is subject to what someone might be used to.
    However a quick Daft.ie search throws up places in SCR And Rathgar for 450 each and one in Drumcondra for 400 which includes central heating. (400 less heating costs = net cost approx 350/month ??????)
    So I do believe that it may be possible to pick up a bargain, but you would need to be quick to snap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Yes I just wanted to gloat in the face of people who told me it was impossible or called me names and make sure they know how absolutely awful and detrimental to happiness their opinions are, and hopefully motivate some people who are still stuck. After that it's boring, and I guess not believing me is a defense against my gloating, so everybody wins.

I call shenanigans. But you got a few people riled up so congrats.

Deco99 wrote: »
    I call shenanigans. But you got a few people riled up so congrats.

I guess he did. :pac:

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    However a quick Daft.ie search throws up places in SCR And Rathgar for 450 each and one in Drumcondra for 400 which includes central heating. (400 less heating costs = net cost approx 350/month ??????)

Yes, but are any of them:
    amazing (huge!)

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

I've thought of one explanation for a place having a rent amount that low: a family was murdered in it. Possibly still haunted. Just make sure the ghosts agree beforehand to split the cost of bills. Keep the wailing and gnashing of teeth down to a minimum on study nights and clean up any ectoplasm before moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I thought your bitterness might have dissipated in the face of your (alleged) good fortune, but no.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the only conclusion any rational person can draw is that the OP is trolling everyone- I am closing this thread- and banning the OP. We do not appreciate people trolling in this forum. Let this stand as a warning to others- misbehave, and action will be taken.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement