Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can we not just assume the best about my situation rather than trying to peg me off as an outlandishly socially-awkward lunatic? I'd rather not divulge my life story on the internet as a way to show you there are no other options in my situation, so, for the sake of argument ;)

Maybe 440 isn't crazy money to you, but to me and certainly to anybody on the dole it is. Sure I could just eat cake though, right? :p

I noticed back in November there was a positive article about housing prices, and then it seems like everybody jumped on the bandwagon and drove their prices up. Two years ago 300-350 around Rathmines was all I was seeing on daft, and I felt it was too much, who knew it'd turn into this :(

Well some of your requirements around other people are a bit outlandish.

And someone on the dole, would not be paying that much rent as it's over the rental supplement guidelines for single people in a house share.

The max supplement including the contribution by the person themselves for living along is 520 e per month.

That will not be achievable in Dublin

Are you talking about bedsits in Rathmines two years ago that were available for €300-€350?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

gaius c wrote: »
    Somebody on the pin pointed out that people in social housing are not expected to have to house share so why do people who are paying their own way? This goes for young people starting out in their careers and paying tax that funds the social welfare system.

Not attacking you but the question needs to be asked.

The OP is a student with, I presume, a part time job. They are on less money than the dole and would be below the threshold for paying any tax on their income.

Do you expect all students should have individual apartments? When the OP graduates and gets a full time job it's likely they will have plenty of money to rent an apartment by themselves. Until then the fact is they can't afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I'm hoping to move in August or September. It's been about 2 years since I moved last. 2 years ago a decent room in a house share accommodation, on the north side and within reasonable distance to Dublin city centre was €350-€400 per month. This seems to have increased by €100+. I really hadn't realised how much the rental market has changed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rother

I'm hoping to move in August or September. It's been about 2 years since I moved last. 2 years ago a decent room in a house share accommodation, on the north side and within reasonable distance to Dublin city centre was €350-€400 per month. This seems to have increased by €100+. I really hadn't realised how much the rental market has changed. :(

And wait til you see what the standard is for that extra €100.
    €150 is more like it for anything decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Is this €300 figure correct? I can't remember at any point ever seeing something that ridiculously low in Rathmines or anywhere else, no matter how small..

I'm surprised you can get anything for €440 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sorry I didn't mean to sound condescending. 440 is a lot to me too, which is why I'm commuting (2 hours each way) to work for the foreseeable future. You need to understand that 440 is not enough to get you a spot on your own, not a chance. Either your perspective on finance or your expected living conditions needs to change.
    what is the cost of commuting, 2 hours each way sounds like madness to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what is the cost of commuting, 2 hours each way sounds like madness to me!

55 euro a week for a BE week return + 20 euro for the LEAP card for Dublin Bus. Getting sick of it though.

that E3900 a year! surely that would be better spent on just living somewhere you could walk to work in dublin? Not even taking into the time factor which I would place a massive value on...

the way I see it is you are paying a fortune to live in a **** location, you cant ignore the travel. Why not just move to the location you need to be in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

You expect to be able to rent an apartment for 300 per month OP? Really? Sharing a house there's a chance you could do it slightly outside the city centre but not a chance you are going to find a landlord willing to rent you an apartment for 300. At your proposed rent of 400 I am struggling to think of anywhere that you can get a place at that price point. Can you link to an apartment listing that you think should be 400 right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Idbatterim wrote: »
    that E3900 a year! surely that would be better spent on just living somewhere you could walk to work in dublin? Not even taking into the time factor which I would place a massive value on...

the way I see it is you are paying a fortune to live in a **** location, you cant ignore the travel. Why not just move to the location you need to be in?!

I work in a large industrial estate so walking isn't an option - the place is absolutely huge! Even if I live in Dublin I'd have to get the bus every morning even if it is for 10 minutes. My plan right now is to save for another month or two and get a car - this would make it less than an hour each way. If I save for a few more months after that I should be able to move up at last! As for the crap location, I agree but where else would you get dinner/overheads paid for you?! I've offered my parents some rent but they told me to put it in savings for the car so it's working out alright so far.

I don't like the idea of having to live paycheck to paycheck every month so if I have a bit in reserve I'd be a lot more comfortable. But you're right the time factor is valuable to me too - I know people who have been commuting for years and I don't know how they do it. The quicker I'm out of this mess the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Maybe you could look at digs OP. You would have your own room bed and board and food would be one less bill to worry about.
    Rent is likely the thing you are least able to control. Micromanagement of your money around things like having a packed lunch in school or work instead of buying food somewhere. Research leap cards, student bus tickets etc online, see what is the least expensive for you. Perhaps a cheap bicycle could take care of your transport needs.

that makes sense, a bike might sort out the long walk option if you lived here. The 3900 is madness, I run a 2.5L car for less than that all in every year to put it into perspective. I didnt realise you were living at home, I though you were living away from home and on top of that paying to commute, hence it didnt make any sense to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

Agreed, and its hard for dolers to get rent allowance or any type of help at all. Can barely afford the suburbs for a box room.

I'm on the dole and rented a boxroom in the suburbs for 100 per week. Its a lot of money and you have to live too- you can't sit at home you'll go crazy and getting out and about is costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

You expect to be able to rent an apartment for 300 per month OP? Really? Sharing a house there's a chance you could do it slightly outside the city centre but not a chance you are going to find a landlord willing to rent you an apartment for 300. At your proposed rent of 400 I am struggling to think of anywhere that you can get a place at that price point. Can you link to an apartment listing that you think should be 400 right now?

This tiny little box full of extra swipes for money is the grossest example of what I'm talking about, this used to be 300 or 350 two years ago (can't remember which, may have been both). There is no hope of having a good life when you see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This tiny little box full of extra swipes for money is the grossest example of what I'm talking about, this used to be 300 or 350 two years ago (can't remember which, may have been both). There is no hope of having a good life when you see this.
    Actually it looks like a nice bedsit to self-contained unit conversion. It's just small but it's clean and modern looking. To compare:

A 3 bed semi D in D15 will cost you €1200 a month. Assuming you took the box room you'd get a similarly sized room and shared lounge/kitchen/bathroom for around the same money BUT you would be considerably further from the city centre.

Cait87 wrote: »
    I'm on the dole and rented a boxroom in the suburbs for 100 per week. Its a lot of money and you have to live too- you can't sit at home you'll go crazy and getting out and about is costly.

Do you just break even after food and bills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

whippet wrote: »
    it is not as simple as that unfortunately. Economics and the laws of supply and demand will be the main factor in prices.

Indeed, but if *everyone* refused to pay the asking prices, rents would start to fall.

440 is not crazy money in Dublin. You'd get a semi-decent room in a student house for that money - and that would not be a clean house let me tell you.

Ah now, hyperbole. You could a nice room in a houseshare for 440. Maybe not in D4 or D6 but other nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rother

Tarzana wrote: »
    Indeed, but if *everyone* refused to pay the asking prices, rents would start to fall.

If we refused to pay the price for food the asking price would fall too.
    How likely is either scenario?

• Advertisement

it was 75 pw, but ended but extra 25 for gas, elc and internet cas it was agreed with the other tenant.

I did break cas the landlady/houseowner I rented was bipolar and kept on throwing her anger my way. twas an awful time. even though was paying good money for a good location and house. it wasnt good for my sanity. I left without telling her.

Seekers beware.

If only I could move to Limerick or Westmeath or somewhere and not have to deal with these :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The rent in Dublin is just heartlessly crazy, is there any hope of ever getting a single place within walking distance to the city center for around 300? :( How do people afford such high prices and not live on tesco spaghetti or nothing?

A cheap bicycle or a €20 for Dublin bike widens your search options considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

if you are really lucky and move fast you might get a studio/bedsit for 500pm in immediate city suburbs ..ranelagh / rathmines rathgar etc... they are averaging 600pm now and decent ones are hard to find...it is crazy but that's supply and demand for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tarzana wrote: »

Not while demand outstrips supply as it heavily does at the moment. In fact people are offering more than the advertised rent in a hope to secure accommodation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The smallist bedsits bottomed out at about €500 before they were banned. I think the OP needs to be more realistic and rent further out within say an hours cycle of the city centre.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Not while demand outstrips supply as it heavily does at the moment. In fact people are offering more than the advertised rent in a hope to secure accommodation.

I know that. I'm one of the people the offered more. It was more a hypothetical. Glad I'm not searching for somewhere at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

I have a friend who rents digs in her house right beside the luas line in Ranelagh for 80 euro a week. I think OP should look into this. I know its not the same as having your own space, but older people renting a room are generally looking for quiet people. There are restrictions like when you can use the kitchen, not having friends sleep over etc but if its only temporary and within budget and quiet surely its bearable. I don't know what college OP is in but she's listed on the Trinity one and often send me links of people looking for a room in that price range. I rent out a double in my own house for 360 but its in Dublin 18...I don't live there and its quiet. If the room was free I'd let OP have a look and see if it would suit....OP, you should investigate options like the above...Dublin 18 is right on the luas line directly into city centre...Have a look at house shares there. Good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

ps if you want me to ask my friend if her room is free for the upcoming academic year I will gladly do so....PM me if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement