Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The massive influx of foreigners has exacerbated rent prices exorbitantly. Most of whom want centrally located housing. I don't blame them and theyre well entitled to be here, but this is a major stem of the problem as they do not haggle they just pay whatever (i've seen this first hand with previous colleagues). The multinationals who hire here have propagated this also and not only do they not pay much tax, they dont visibly do much to quell this issue.

And the government, even with the added tax from paye that they do obtain from this, if not more, why do they not propagate housing initiatives or incentives for people that actually generate the tax. Not social housing for some pox bag that sits around and drinks cans all day, theyd just be as well off in a tent.

There is a major accountability issue here, and the landlords, as much as we complain they up they price, they are essentially a business. Its only fair that they can up the price where possible.

Some of them. The ones that actually have to pay attention to costs are up in arms making their concerns known to the government. There will be more Bausch & Lombe's unless something is done about a major component of our cost base. It was a factor taken into account when BMS decided that it didn't make financial sense to adapt their state of the art pharma plant in Mulhuddart to make something else. Instead they are cutting their losses and legging it.

Any competitive gains from the last few years have evaporated as staff roll into salary review meetings explaining that they "need" 5% pay increases to cover the increase in accommodation costs.

We were ridiculously high cost. We became slightly less ridiculously high cost over the last couple of years but still high cost and are now gearing up to get ourselves back where we were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

gaius c wrote: »
    Some of them. The ones that actually have to pay attention to costs are up in arms making their concerns known to the government. There will be more Bausch & Lombe's unless something is done about a major component of our cost base. It was a factor taken into account when BMS decided that it didn't make financial sense to adapt their state of the art pharma plant in Mulhuddart to make something else. Instead they are cutting their losses and legging it.

Any competitive gains from the last few years have evaporated as staff roll into salary review meetings explaining that they "need" 5% pay increases to cover the increase in accommodation costs.

We were ridiculously high cost. We became slightly less ridiculously high cost over the last couple of years but still high cost and are now gearing up to get ourselves back where we were.

I work for an MNC in Dublin , if I asked for a 5% pay increase because of the cost of accommodation I'd be laughed out of it! And probably told if I don't like my current pay levels I should try somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

who_ru wrote: »
    I work for an MNC in Dublin , if I asked for a 5% pay increase because of the cost of accommodation I'd be laughed out of it! And probably told if I don't like my current pay levels I should try somewhere else.

Wow, you arent very highly valued then. Do they treat all their staff like that?

The fact is rising city centre rents will make it much more difficult to attract talent from wider Europe to Dublin, putting those operations at some level of risk.

drumswan wrote: »
    Wow, you arent very highly valued then. Do they treat all their staff like that?
    It might seem like a crazy notion in this transfer pricing-dependent economy of ours but some companies actually have to watch their costs and justify them to head office.
    The fact is rising city centre rents will make it much more difficult to attract talent from wider Europe to Dublin, putting those operations at some level of risk.

It's already happened with senior execs (pharma) to some extent. They jet set around the world expecting the best of houses, schools, etc and when they see what they get for their money here, even tax friendly exemptions are not enough to make them change their minds as they head back to Singapore, or lately Netherlands.

I'm not as familiar with googlebook operations but I understand that the majority of the workers there are not on the headline high money you read about.

But yes, high accommodation costs are a bad thing for our economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I don't know about where you work but where I am it's all about reducing costs not increasing them. Every year for the last 4 years there have been redundancies, all voluntary and all over subscribed, one year 80 gone, last year 30 gone, another 35 being mooted this year. In that context asking for a pay increase isn't a smart move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

A third is pretty reasonable and would be what you'd expect to pay in most western countries.

Of course, I don't need to tell you that you could probably get much much cheaper and save loads![/mammymode]

You wouldnt get anything much cheaper tbh! Were really lucky! Although a shared house is even less, only 200ish a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

You wouldnt get anything much cheaper tbh! Were really lucky! Although a shared house is even less, only 200ish a month.

Yeah but your comparisons are pointless at a euro level, considering the drop of wages outside of major urban areas.

That's what I was getting at actually. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It ain't pretty out there. Our landlord has given notice that he needs the apartment for family purposes, and in fairness the date is well past when our lease is up. So recently began the search for a place and Jesus it's bad. Prices have gone way up, and (decent) supply is very much on the short side. Gonna be a fun few months...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Just received notice of a rent increase from 1000 which we paid for 2.5 years up to 1200. It was well bellow market rent and the landlord could definitely get 1350 possibly 1400 for it. So increase is fair enough. Thing is, id be happier around where I grew up a few miles down the road, so the search begins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

It's already happened with senior execs (pharma) to some extent. They jet set around the world expecting the best of houses, schools, etc and when they see what they get for their money here, even tax friendly exemptions are not enough to make them change their minds as they head back to Singapore, or lately Netherlands.

I work in Pharma, senior exec. I came to Dublin back in 2011 from Australia with my current employer. No jet setter mind you as this is a permanent appointment for me not an ex-pat deal. My salary when I arrived was 15% higher gross than in Australia but 4% worse off net with taking cost of living into account. Not an issue at the time as I came for the opportunity and career progression.

Since then my wife and I have wanted to settle in Dublin and buy property, we like it here. However even at the lowest I couldn't bring myself to pay what was the going market rate in the areas I wanted to live. It's not that I couldn't afford it, I had banks throwing money at me, but at this stage in my life I don't want to be signing up for a 30 year mortgage. We're now left with an increasing rental market putting even more pressure on finances.

I'm now in discussions with my employer about a potential move to the US. Not that I want to move there, but staying in Dublin is not financially feasible with the current cost of living. In the last three years I've made no head way towards my future financial goals.

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to give a real world example to back up gaius c's statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Senecio wrote: »
    staying in Dublin is not financially feasible with the current cost of living. In the last three years I've made no head way towards my future financial goals.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Having grown up in Ireland, I would love to settle in Dublin long term. Sadly, it ain't gonna happen so I am upping sticks to Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

who_ru wrote: »
    I don't know about where you work but where I am it's all about reducing costs not increasing them. Every year for the last 4 years there have been redundancies, all voluntary and all over subscribed, one year 80 gone, last year 30 gone, another 35 being mooted this year. In that context asking for a pay increase isn't a smart move.

People dont realise how slow these changes take to happen. I had a team of six that is now three. The cost cutting plan is from the bust and still trickling down. Placed like Spain are growing as cost of living is so much cheaper.

Senecio wrote: »
    I work in Pharma, senior exec. I came to Dublin back in 2011 from Australia with my current employer. No jet setter mind you as this is a permanent appointment for me not an ex-pat deal. My salary when I arrived was 15% higher gross than in Australia but 4% worse off net with taking cost of living into account. Not an issue at the time as I came for the opportunity and career progression.

Since then my wife and I have wanted to settle in Dublin and buy property, we like it here. However even at the lowest I couldn't bring myself to pay what was the going market rate in the areas I wanted to live. It's not that I couldn't afford it, I had banks throwing money at me, but at this stage in my life I don't want to be signing up for a 30 year mortgage. We're now left with an increasing rental market putting even more pressure on finances.

I'm now in discussions with my employer about a potential move to the US. Not that I want to move there, but staying in Dublin is not financially feasible with the current cost of living. In the last three years I've made no head way towards my future financial goals.

Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to give a real world example to back up gaius c's statement.

Thanks for the post.
    Do you mind if I ask if you were in Sydney or another part of Oz?
    Cost of living in some parts of Oz is ridonculous so us being even more expensive is not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Dublin is only problematic if you are are not prepared to share. I.e. you will get a bedroom in 3 or 4 house share for E500 ish per month...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Dublin is only problematic if you are are not prepared to share. I.e. you will get a bedroom in 3 or 4 house share for E500 ish per month...

It's also problematic if you're co-habiting. My partner and I had an awful time trying to find accommodation for college in a shared room, didn't find any in the end, always "no couple allowed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

rawn wrote: »
    It's also problematic if you're co-habiting. My partner and I had an awful time trying to find accommodation for college in a shared room, didn't find any in the end, always "no couple allowed".

+1, finding a one bed is tough, and nobody really wants to accept couples into a houseshare.

Best of luck with your search, I've been through a couple search myself recently. What is your budget? Would you be better looking for a one-bed?

rawn wrote: »

Maybe a double room in a twobed with another couple but not for a houseshare. There are only so many seats in a sittingroom.

Its only problematic if you are not prepared to share?! Like sharing your house with other people is a viable solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 sm171

I'm nearly 30, I was sharing with friends until earlier this year when I had to move. I'm now living in a house with 3 others. I really don't want to share with strangers any more (I'm too old!) but I have no choice.

I don't have the worst income by any means but there's no way I could afford €800pm or €900pm a month on a shoebox 1 bed apartment. As it is I have to consider paying €600pm just to live with one other person in a half decent 2 bed. And you go to view shared rooms and there's 20 people viewing them and inevitably they never choose me.

That's just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

You'd get a place in a house-share for 200-250, and you can be lucky to get a place for 400-450-500 on your own, the point is that's f'ing crazy.

Very little chance I am going to continue to put up with this greedy nonsense next year during a graduate degree if I can find something in a better college, just have to hope someone with a bit of a soul, or an absolute kip not worth more than 350, comes along this year, until then I'll content myself with Freud's Civilization and it's Discontents and try to sleep, fun times :cool:
    sm171 wrote: »
    I'm nearly 30, I was sharing with friends until earlier this year when I had to move. I'm now living in a house with 3 others. I really don't want to share with strangers any more (I'm too old!) but I have no choice.

I don't have the worst income by any means but there's no way I could afford €800pm or €900pm a month on a shoebox 1 bed apartment. As it is I have to consider paying €600pm just to live with one other person in a half decent 2 bed. And you go to view shared rooms and there's 20 people viewing them and inevitably they never choose me.

That's just my experience.

This is only going to damage my chances for moving out, but you are being totally ripped off and can do better, there are loads of places right now for 4-500. If I had an extra 150 a month there are six places I'd ring this second, and in 2-3 weeks time there'll be another 6 (:()

Sharing is not a viable solution for professional adults or people in relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Sharing is not a viable solution for professional adults or people in relationships.

Why not for professional adults? Most people I know shared until they were in a position to buy

Why not for professional adults? Most people I know shared until they were in a position to buy

Most people? I dont know a single person who moved from a houseshare into their own mortgaged property.

Huge numbers of people have no interest in taking on large amounts of debt in this uncertain economy and wish to rent long term. Someone in their thirties and forties doesn't want to live in a houseshare with younger people, students or those who cant afford to live alone.

This is only going to damage my chances for moving out, but you are being totally ripped off and can do better, there are loads of places right now for 4-500. If I had an extra 150 a month there are six places I'd ring this second, and in 2-3 weeks time there'll be another 6 (:()

Where are you looking to rent? I'm looking at central areas close to CC Drumcondra Glasnevin etc so that does make it more difficult. The €600pm includes an en suite I should say which is a bit of a help when you are forced to share!

Drumswan - there really is no choice but to share unless you want a long commute.

Drumswan - there really is no choice but to share unless you want a long commute.
    I share with my partner, otherwise I would be spending 40+ percent of my income on rent. Its a disaster.

I share with my partner, otherwise I would be spending 40+ percent of my income on rent. Its a disaster.

Exactly. I'm single so I don't have that option unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Where are you looking to rent? I'm looking at central areas close to CC Drumcondra Glasnevin etc so that does make it more difficult. The €600pm includes an en suite I should say which is a bit of a help when you are forced to share!

Here's 2 solo places on daft cheaper than 600 in those areas, now is the time my friend :cool:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/iona-road-drumcondra-dublin/1474197/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/clonliffe-road-drumcondra-dublin/1471047/

Here's 2 solo places on daft cheaper than 600 in those areas, now is the time my friend :cool:

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/iona-road-drumcondra-dublin/1474197/
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/clonliffe-road-drumcondra-dublin/1471047/

No pictures for the seconds and the first is one small room with a single bed. Look at the distance from the TV to the bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭qwertyabcd

the first one you linked is essentially an extra large room in a house share dressed up as a 'studio' apartment, the second one has no photos so we cant gage the size at all

I am looking at moving to Dublin if I don't get the job I am being interviewed for and realistically I know I will have to either live in the suburbs or pay at least €800 for a decent amount of space

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement