Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Prices are Crazy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Surely the solution to our accommodation issues is not a return to poxy bedsit slums all over the city

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Lux23 wrote: »
    Not really. They won't give me back my deposit until I vacate the flat so I don't have money to put down a deposit on somewhere else. Where will I get the deposit from? And what landlord would let you move in without paying one?

surely you have family or friends that would allow you stay in their spare room / sofa for a short while whilst you sort out your new accomadation ?

Why is it that people jump to the extreme rather than assessing the situation pragmatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Surely the solution to our accommodation issues is not a return to poxy bedsit slums all over the city

no its not, but it might be a short term solution, until the morons in government get their finger out, but I wouldnt hold my breath. Get MN and DU started and build very high density hubs along the lines where there is development potential. It might not be exactly where you want to live, but with a well connected and fully integrated transport system, it could get you there fairly quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

D3PO wrote: »
    surely you have family or friends that would allow you stay in their spare room / sofa for a short while whilst you sort out your new accomadation ?

Why is it that people jump to the extreme rather than assessing the situation pragmatically.

Staying on someone's sofa would mean I am homeless, as in I don't have somewhere to live. It doesn't necessarily mean that I have to sleep on the streets.

Staying on someone's sofa would mean I am homeless, as in I don't have somewhere to live. It doesn't necessarily mean that I have to sleep on the streets.

So then why would you register as homeless if you had somewhere to stay until you sorted out your own accomadation ?

Would it not be better to leave the very finite resources we have available to act on behalf of those I would term homeless people i.e those on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

drumswan wrote: »

The bottom rung was removed from the market, which caused a large shock and curtailed already restricted supply. The legislation was very well meaning, and it is hard to argue against it, but the timing of it, at the bottom of the economic cycle was woeful.

MouseTail wrote: »
    The bottom rung was removed from the market, which caused a large shock and curtailed already restricted supply. The legislation was very well meaning, and it is hard to argue against it, but the timing of it, at the bottom of the economic cycle was woeful.

despite the negative short term concequences it was the right thing to do. Nobody should be living in slumhole accomadation.

Id much rather see 20 somethings and even 30 somethings have to live at home due to a lack of supply than see them living in what can only be described as sh*tholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

despite the negative short term concequences it was the right thing to do. Nobody should be living in slumhole accomadation.

Id much rather see 20 somethings and even 30 somethings have to live at home due to a lack of supply than see them living in what can only be described as sh*tholes.
    What about young people from outside Dublin migrating to the Capital for their first low paid job? They are locked out now, or living in overcrowded accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I dont agree, there are still plenty of slum holes for rent, what made them slum holes, not having a dedicated bathroom? At least before they had a choice, now they dont and it has pushed rents up for all of us. I am on daft as I have received notice of a rent increase and all the ads just say "no students" now I totally get this, but its a very difficult situation for them...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont agree, there are still plenty of slum holes for rent, what made them slum holes, not having a dedicated bathroom? At least before they had a choice, now they dont and it has pushed rents up for all of us. I am on daft as I have received notice of a rent increase and all the ads just say "no students" now I totally get this, but its a very difficult situation for them...

Oh dont get me wrong I realise there are still plenty of slumholes out there. There are however significantly less of them that are now legal accomadation.

Not having a dedicated bathroom didnt make somewhere a slumhole however all this accomadation could have been retrofitted. If it hasnt been its not to big a leap to suggest that this for the most part is because the "landlord" of such places has really no regard for the standard fo accomadation they are letting and just trying to get in as much revenue with spending as little on maintenance.

There kind of landlords and or places are much more likely to be slumholes than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So then why would you register as homeless if you had somewhere to stay until you sorted out your own accomadation ?

Would it not be better to leave the very finite resources we have available to act on behalf of those I would term homeless people i.e those on the streets.

That's what you term as homeless, not what Dublin city council term as homeless. You aren't the authority in this and are just using someone else's difficulties to make a point.

MouseTail wrote: »
    What about young people from outside Dublin migrating to the Capital for their first low paid job? They are locked out now, or living in overcrowded accommodation.

I hear ya its for sure an issue, and yes joined up thinking re the bedsit legislation and being more accomadation onstream would have been ideal that said its hopefully a temporary issue.

I appreciate some younger persons like those you categorise above are getting a raw enough deal right now, but I think its the lesser of two evils if you are taking about substandard accomadation versus the renting demographic.

I feel their pain but before this group got a raw deal renting it was those that bought at inflated prices, before that it was those paying 20% interest rates back in the 80's etc.

Theres always some demographic that gets the wrong end of the stick in the accomadation stakes. Im not justifying it Im just saying its part and parcel of things unfortunatly.

That's what you term as homeless, not what Dublin city council term as homeless. You aren't the authority in this and are just using someone else's difficulties to make a point.

Im not trying to make anybodies difficulties into a point. I'm just trying to understand why you feel the need to go and register as homeless when you can as it appears stay with a friend as a temp solution whilst you find new accomadation ?

perhaps its an extreme point but if everybody was to register as homeless in between rental accomadation moves, the system would be awash with noise and those in genuine need would most likely not be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Idbatterim wrote: »
    no its not, but it might be a short term solution, until the morons in government get their finger out, but I wouldnt hold my breath. Get MN and DU started and build very high density hubs along the lines where there is development potential. It might not be exactly where you want to live, but with a well connected and fully integrated transport system, it could get you there fairly quick!
    Yup...still loads of development land along the (quad tracked) Kildare Route between Clondalkin and Adamstown but needs Dart Underground for it to make real sense. Other cities with a housing shortage would kill for this land STRADDLING a major railway line.

Unfortunately it's the 60 year old alcoholics that were really reliant on bedsits to keep them from sleeping on the streets, which is where most of them now are presumably. Well meaning legislation but didn't take reality into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Prime example of a Celtic Tiger cub, you expect everything on a plate and are totally adverse to actually sacraficing to tailor your situation to reality.

The fact that you psychologically justified your rant with some ridiculous propaganda is absolutely terrifying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Here is the second dive I've noticed that went from 400 last year up the the extortionist price it's at now, sickening...

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/mountjoy-square-dublin-1-dublin/1468193/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Here is the second dive I've noticed that went from 400 last year up the the extortionist price it's at now, sickening...

Is there even a bathroom in this? It looks like an illegal bedsit. The law last year made bedsits illegal, perhaps a lot of renovation went into this building to bring it up to the minimum standards and thus commands a higher price.

The fact that you psychologically justified your rant with some ridiculous propaganda is absolutely terrifying...

what propaganda ?

sounds like more of your skewed thinking like your original post but Im interested to knwo what propaganda my posts have had. Telling you to make the relevent sacrafices to meet your needs is not propaganda.

do you actually even know what propaganda is ? Doesnt seem so :rolleyes:

As for ranting Im not the one that came on to rant about not being able to get a property of my own rented in the city centre for a pittance. Im sorry if you dont like realism but one day when you are properly out of that celtic tiger bubble your still in you will realise how ludacris your first post in this thread is.

P.S theres a reason my post has 6 likes and yours has none. But I guess were all on here spreading propaganda and your the beacon of truth right ?

Oh and FWIW when you were only knee high to a grasshopper rents on 1 bed flats in decent condition in and around the Dublin city centre werent even regularly available at €300.

Going by the experience I have of knowing LL's and tenants renting 1 bed flats in Rathmines/ Ranelagh for example were going for about €340 a month or (£270 in old money as it was then) back in 1998

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Oh and FWIW when you were only knee high to a grasshopper rents on 1 bed flats in decent condition in and around the Dublin city centre werent even regularly available at €300.

Going by the experience I have of knowing LL's and tenants renting 1 bed flats in Rathmines/ Ranelagh for example were going for about €340 a month or (£270 in old money as it was then) back in 1998

Is that all! We were paying £1,000 per month for a 3 bedroom house in Ranelagh in 1998. That's €1,270 in Euro. Not a massive difference considering 16 years has passed. I don't know where people think they can get central properties for a pittance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

murphaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the 60 year old alcoholics that were really reliant on bedsits to keep them from sleeping on the streets, which is where most of them now are presumably. Well meaning legislation but didn't take reality into account!

Sadly you are correct. There was many low income people, often single, living in the standard bedsit. While some of them were dives there were others where they suited such people on a long term basis and were of a decent standard at a fair rent.
    Now these have been forced out because landlords can't afford to upgrade to the standards required and are selling the buildings

Well it says:
    Suit 1/2 person,s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Noticed a certain property again in my daft email alerts, interesting to look at the pricing history as such:

320585.png

Noticed a certain property again in my daft email alerts, interesting to look at the pricing history as such:

What's also interesting is the changing number of photos and the changing descriptions (1 double, 1 single to 2 doubles). It's small enough but you're paying for a location there.

What I want to know is if it's being re-advertised every few months at a different price, is someone actually living there short term and leaving or has it been sitting empty for a year and a half?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

What's also interesting is the changing number of photos and the changing descriptions (1 double, 1 single to 2 doubles). It's small enough but you're paying for a location there.

What I want to know is if it's being re-advertised every few months at a different price, is someone actually living there short term and leaving or has it been sitting empty for a year and a half?
    Multiple units in the one house?

Multiple units in the one house?

It's possible. TheBandicoot, do you recall if they're all the same flat or just for flats in the same building?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is that all! We were paying £1,000 per month for a 3 bedroom house in Ranelagh in 1998. That's €1,270 in Euro. Not a massive difference considering 16 years has passed. I don't know where people think they can get central properties for a pittance.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKJwyAZItuhuQEe_0poNgudGTMIA3ZdRiiqbeDii0l3gGDtabmCJwvABAJ

so you think rent control would be a good thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

so you think rent control would be a good thing ?

Me, god no. You don't solve the problem that is out there at the moment, high demand and low supply by restricting price.
    If you restrict price, people won't invest in properties and neither will funds. It sends them running.
    So if we've less people willing to find the supply, where is it going to come from? The government won't provide the supply.

It would also inherently unfair on this who work in dublin, could afford to rent in dublin, but can't rent in dublin because people who don't work, are taking the supply. Heartless yes, but is it fair on the person who works 40 hours a week to be punished so the person in receipt of allowances or not willing to pay more gets the supply? No it's not.

We already have a form of rent control. Price can only be increased once in a 12 month period (can it be decreased more than once??). The fairest form of rent control would be one that tracks rent inflation from month to month (as calculated from new rents) so everyone pays the same....although I can't see the left going for that, as it'd be too looney for them.
    The idea that your rent can't increase or decrease in line with the market is stupid and dangerous path to go down. The customer never gets screwed when the market sets the rate, they always get screwed when there is price controls.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement