Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some sort of possible sleep disorder

• 29-05-2014 4:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wanted a little advice. For about 5 years now I've been having a bit of trouble with many aspects of sleep. I have always suffered from bruxism (teeth grinding in my sleep) ever since I can remember and after an x Ray I was told this is due to a smaller ball and joint socket on one side of my jaw, which will rectify itself with age.

I also suffer a little from insomnia. But only during periods of intense stress such as exam time etc. However in the last few years I have started to experience symptoms of sleep apnea.

They are not that common, at least from what I know, I wake up only every few weeks gasping for air. But it is quite sttessful and upsetting as before I wake up enough to remember to breath I do actually like there semi awake feeling like I'm going to die.

I don't know what causes it. All I can say is that it feels at the time as though the back of my throat is blocked off. And sitting up can help get the air moving again.

I told my doctor years ago and he said it was anxiety attacks. I thought maybe he was right and just worked on reducing anxiety. A couple of years later I was in a happy phase of life no major stresses and it continued so I went back to the doctor and was told to use a nasal spray before bed. Did that but it didn't change much. It's hard to tell since there can be a big gap of time between when I am aware of it happening.

So now I'm considering asking my GP for a referral to a sleep clinic. Mainly to rule out anything more sinister. It really is scary when it happens. However I don't feel like my doctor is taking me seriously. Maybe because I'm young and healthy weight and have a history of anxiety.... I'm not sure. Maybe it probably isn't anything. I don't know that much about sleep studies. Whether they can pick up on things like this?

Any advice would be great for anyone that has been in a similar situation. I don't want to waste anyone's time over this. In case it's relevant I have also noticed over the last year a substantial increase in the amount of phlegm I spit up. Gone from barely any, to daily lumps. Could be a symptom of getting older too mind you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

You probably should get another opinion or get it further investigated. If it is sleep apnea it could be quite dangerous. It may not be that at all though - my mother was tested for it years ago in one those sleep clinics and told she was ok (just a ferocious snore on her apparently!). If they find anything that could help you get better/more restful sleep it would be worth it in the long run.

Advertisement