Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 tax return

Options
  • 29-05-2014 7:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi guys, just have a few questions about the tax return. Im heading to the states from Oz in mid June for a few weeks and was wondering can i send my tax claim online from the 1st of July? Its my first year here and would like to have the money when i come back mid July. Would it be easier to go through an agency or is it handy enough to do it myself and get it fast?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Just do it yourself through etax....make sure you put in for the $300 allowance for clothing and the medicare stuff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

you probably receive payment within two weeks on a self submission, even done through the portal, two weeks is a best case.

I would expect it be August before the cash lands.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Sorry to hijack, I've worked for four different company's in different states in my first year, do I need to contact them for certs?

minzabud wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, I've worked for four different company's in different states in my first year, do I need to contact them for certs?

Yes, if they do not provide them to you you will

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jellytotsx

conor_db wrote: »
    Hi guys, just have a few questions about the tax return. Im heading to the states from Oz in mid June for a few weeks and was wondering can i send my tax claim online from the 1st of July? Its my first year here and would like to have the money when i come back mid July. Would it be easier to go through an agency or is it handy enough to do it myself and get it fast?

Have you been here for a minimum of 183 days/6 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Quick question, if anybody knows the answer. I am in Australia for 6.5 months or so, and both mine and my girlfriend ticked that we are residents for tax purposes, etc.

Regarding filing our tax returns, we both have earned less than the $18,200 threshold, and our situations are simple enough. We are going to apply for taxback online through MyTax as it is the simpler option according to the ATO.

I think that should all be fine. As such, we are together about 6 years, but obviously just over 6 months in Australia (4 December, working since February). Do we need to declare each other as (defacto) spouses for these returns? It seems like it will just overcomplicate things but I want to ensure we are doing it correctly.

Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

frankled wrote: »
    Quick question, if anybody knows the answer. I am in Australia for 6.5 months or so, and both mine and my girlfriend ticked that we are residents for tax purposes, etc.

Regarding filing our tax returns, we both have earned less than the $18,200 threshold, and our situations are simple enough. We are going to apply for taxback online through MyTax as it is the simpler option according to the ATO.

I think that should all be fine. As such, we are together about 6 years, but obviously just over 6 months in Australia (4 December, working since February). Do we need to declare each other as (defacto) spouses for these returns? It seems like it will just overcomplicate things but I want to ensure we are doing it correctly.

Any help will be appreciated, cheers.

You are legally required to declare each other as defacto but it will have no impact on your tax return because of your low earnings. You both should get all the tax back that you have paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

aido79 wrote: »
    You are legally required to declare each other as defacto but it will have no impact on your tax return because of your low earnings. You both should get all the tax back that you have paid.

Perfect cheers.

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/compare/savings/article/-/16573201/20-tax-deductions-you-can-make-today/

So, from this, claim on your washing if you keep a record of it and claim on internet if you use if with your work.

Anyone that studies in Oz, don't forget to claim on your course if it is connected to your job...and keep book receipts and travel expenses to the place of study.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

You can claim up to $300 on uniforms etc. without receipts, but, how do they deem if you eligible for this refund? Are you just guaranteed that tax back or how do they decide who is eligible and who isn't?

I don't have receipts but should I claim for what I did spend anyway?

• Advertisement

Alanhooly wrote: »
    You can claim up to $300 on uniforms etc. without receipts, but, how do they deem if you eligible for this refund? Are you just guaranteed that tax back or how do they decide who is eligible and who isn't?

I don't have receipts but should I claim for what I did spend anyway?

Surely you need some specific type of clothing for your job...I mean shoes or shirts...Just say shirts, shoes and so on $300

sin_city wrote: »
    Surely you need some specific type of clothing for your job...I mean shoes or shirts...Just say shirts, shoes and so on $300

Yes but what I'm saying is, if that clothing is relevant to your job do you automatically get that $300 back without receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Yes but what I'm saying is, if that clothing is relevant to your job do you automatically get that $300 back without receipts?

You don't get $300 back into your pocket - your taxable income is reduced by $300 eg. if your taxable income was 60,000, it would now be 59,700.

You don't get $300 back into your pocket - your taxable income is reduced by $300 eg. if your taxable income was 60,000, it would now be 59,700.

Ah I see, I'm only here just under 6 months so that's probably irrelevant to me. Cheers

Ah I see, I'm only here just under 6 months so that's probably irrelevant to me. Cheers

LOL, yeah :confused:

sin_city wrote: »
    LOL, yeah :confused:

Because I've made less than 18k so I'm already below the lowest threshold so it won't apply to me..

Because I've made less than 18k so I'm already below the lowest threshold so it won't apply to me..

Have you paid tax on your income? If so, then yes lodge a return

It's $18,200 also not 18k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Just a note for anyone doing tax this year, I contacted the ATO about an ammendment to a previous tax return (stupidly forgot to claim medicare levy and am nearly up on the 2 year window) and everyone will need to have a "mygov" account this year to complete their tax return.

Advertisement