Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaffe of the Day !

• 29-05-2014 8:51am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

Today's award goes to Morning Ireland newsreader Clodagh Walsh for this little gem on the 8 o'clock bulletin earlier.

"Marian Harkin has been re-elected for the Midlands - North - West constituency following a redneck of the ballot papers". :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,712 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha ha! She did not!?

:-D:-D:-D

Hee heee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Link 01:01:50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Today Phil Cawley said "I resemble that remark."

07:20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Vojera wrote: »
    Today Phil Cawley said "I resemble that remark."

07:20

Thats not a gaffe.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Thats not a gaffe.
    Isn't it 'resent'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Vojera wrote: »
    Isn't it 'resent'?

It is. Using the word "resemble" is done as a joke. Its been around for years.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It is. Using the word "resemble" is done as a joke. Its been around for years.

I've never heard it before. In that case I take it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Lapin wrote: »
    Today's award goes to Morning Ireland newsreader Clodagh Walsh for this little gem on the 8 o'clock bulletin earlier.

"Marian Harkin has been re-elected for the Midlands - North - West constituency following a redneck of the ballot papers". :)

I heard that... Poor clodagh, she apologised as well... For what must surely have been a Freudian Slip..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭bossdrum

Last Wednesday the sports reporter doing the report at 11am on Sean O'Rourkes program informed us that Venus Williams had got knocked out of the French Open and therefore would not be playing her sister in the next round.

If he had bothered to have a look at an app on his phone or a computer he would have seen that Serena had also been knocked out earlier in a massive shock that wasn't mentioned at all.

How do these guys get these jobs?
    Surely a genuine interest in sport would be a basic requisite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

bossdrum wrote: »
    Last Wednesday the sports reporter doing the report at 11am on Sean O'Rourkes program informed us that Venus Williams had got knocked out of the French Open and therefore would not be playing her sister in the next round.

If he had bothered to have a look at an app on his phone or a computer he would have seen that Serena had also been knocked out earlier in a massive shock that wasn't mentioned at all.

Was it des ? If so that's hardly surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

On a 2fm show yesterday morning the female presenter had a competition for the best catchphrase ever, the prize was tickets to Madness somewhere or other. Somebody sent in "don't watch that, watch this!" as a catchphrase (strange I know but with the prize and all...). Anyway the presenter said something along the lines of "I've never heard that catchphrase before, i'm not sure what that means". When she announced the prize winner she said she'd love to be going to the Madness gig herself, she's a huge fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

On a 2fm show yesterday morning the female presenter had a competition for the best catchphrase ever, the prize was tickets to Madness somewhere or other. Somebody sent in "don't watch that, watch this!" as a catchphrase (strange I know but with the prize and all...). Anyway the presenter said something along the lines of "I've never heard that catchphrase before, i'm not sure what that means". When she announced the prize winner she said she'd love to be going to the Madness gig herself, she's a huge fan.
    Was that Lottie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭bossdrum

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was it des ? If so that's hardly surprising.

No it wasn't Des, but it seems like someone that he probably he trained up:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No it wasn't Des, but it seems like someone that he probably he trained up:D
    It's Darren Frehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭More Music

So did Venus play Serena in the next round or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭real rocker

More Music wrote: »
    So did Venus play Serena in the next round or not?

Sports reporters are from Venus. Experts from Serena.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shammer16

Did someone fart on the Lunchtime news today on Today FM? Juliette gash was playing some audio which failed, there was a slight pause and then either a fart or somebody adjusting their chair very loudly! Poor Juliette, she must have forgotten the mic was open ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Shammer16 wrote: »
    Did someone fart on the Lunchtime news today on Today FM? Juliette gash was playing some audio which failed, there was a slight pause and then either a fart or somebody adjusting their chair very loudly! Poor Juliette, she must have forgotten the mic was open ;)

Heard that myself and was thinking the exact same thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

gaffe of the day

2 fm breakfast show.....

The whole thing, its a right royal f - up

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Yesterday on Risin' Time, Jackie Carroll stood in for Shay and as she broke for ads there was a clear slurping sound like someone taking a drink of water! Not to mention she could not say Caherciveen or Hercule Poirot, or pronounce the "ing" ending of doing, going etc.....very unprofessional i thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Whoever is presenting the News at One today just introduced RTE's Business Editor David Murphy as "Murphy David"

You had to be there, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Ivan Yates just said that he heard Rory McElroy had been getting advice from Jack Nicholson..... now that I'd love to hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ivan Yates just said that he heard Rory McElroy had been getting advice from Jack Nicholson..... now that I'd love to hear!

ngbbs4ecc53a975af2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

My favourite was when some big rugby player passed away and was buried that day.... the DJ dedicated the next song to him which happened to be Take That's "Shine".

"You, you're such a big star to me
    You're everything I wanna be
    But you're stuck in a hole.... "

If you're looking for some made up radio gaffes - check out Ivan Brackenbury the hospital radio DJ on youtube....

zoobizoo wrote: »
    My favourite was when some big rugby player passed away and was buried that day.... the DJ dedicated the next song to him which happened to be Take That's "Shine".

"You, you're such a big star to me
    You're everything I wanna be
    But you're stuck in a hole.... "

If you're looking for some made up radio gaffes - check out Ivan Brackenbury the hospital radio DJ on youtube....

That reminds me of the day that John Denver was killed in a plane crash. Neil Prendeville played "Leaving on a Jet Plane" as a tribute to him.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Lapin wrote: »

Unless I misheard, did Diarmuid Gavin say this morning that he planted a sherry tree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

One of the sports presenters on the radio this morning said Ireland had beaten Argentina in the first match of the test "serious".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Just before 0600 on Radio1, the repeat programmes ended and the presenter wished us a "good night".. Sun was up an hour at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Csalem

For me the best gaffe was an awkward segue last year on Radio 1. It was the morning after the referendum (September?) and Rachel English had been interviewing Regina Doherty. At the end of the interview Cathal Mac Coille started his piece by saying 'Well we have now heard the fat lady sing' and then gave the exit polls and called the result of the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Didn't realise Garth Brooks had changed his name to 'Gareth' :D

Shane Filan might want to learn his real name before he opens for him :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Don't know if it counts as "gaffe of the day", as it happens pretty much every day, but it's the woman doing the AA Roadwatch report during the Right Hook referrring to "Constitutional Hill".

It's Constitution. Constitution!

I've lost count of the number of times Mary Wilson on 'Drivetime' has started speaking after the 'Drivetime with Danske bank' jingle, only to forget about the 'guitar twang' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Radio5

Great to hear on that its not just the Sports Dept who can't pronounce the correct name of the main GAA stadium in the country.

So glad I was tuned to Drivetime this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

One from yesterday but on one news broadcast it was diego who announced the end of Arthur's Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Billy Suffolk

The Rte Dublin Correspondent John Colrain mangling 'cumilitive ' on some report today.

'Culmitiive' or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Has a presenter ever given our the wrong phone number? Either a phone number for a different radio station or possibly even their own phone number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Some day on Joe Duffy. Can't remember who he was talking to-perhaps the lady who was trapped up about 100 feet in Waterford was it on one of the rides? She could see from her height help coming ie the fire brigade and Joe said something like 'well you must have been pleased to see the calvary coming.

Genius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Billy Suffolk

bobbyss wrote: »
    Some day on Joe Duffy. Can't remember who he was talking to-perhaps the lady who was trapped up about 100 feet in Waterford was it on one of the rides? She could see from her height help coming ie the fire brigade and Joe said something like 'well you must have been pleased to see the calvary coming.

Genius

Yes, heard that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

Could today's gaffe be the Greyhound Refuse Collection manager who, referring to media coverage of the strike by the bin collectors, said (10.20am radio 1) he regretted the "throwaway comments" being made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tom Parlon (former TD, minister & CIF shouting supremo) just said Bullshít on SaturdayView.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tom Parlon (former TD, minister & CIF shouting supremo) just said Bullshít on SaturdayView.

He's changed his clothes more than Nessa Childers at this stage..

Newsreader on 4FM mentioned someone called Allban Magnuss on Saturday. Apparently he's an SDLP politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Forgot to post yesterday about Lottie Ryan. She was reading her "showbiz news" in the afternoon. Whatever the story was she described someone on a tv show as having "horn shaped......horns??" The pause was ridiculous and you could hear her question herself as she said it! made her sound like a clown. ....does she not read her script before hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭real rocker

Forgot to post yesterday about Lottie Ryan. She was reading her "showbiz news" in the afternoon. Whatever the story was she described someone on a tv show as having "horn shaped......horns??" The pause was ridiculous and you could hear her question herself as she said it! made her sound like a clown. ....does she not read her script before hand?

Devilish?

Poor ould Lottie. I suppose her brain has turned into Swiss cheese, considering she has to sift through oceans of bullsh!t celebrity news every day. It's a tough station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Ciaran

On Morning Ireland this morning (paraphrased): "298 dead on Malaysia Airlines plane, the Ukrainian ambassador is next". Sounded a bit ominous!

Subliminal advertising by Energia during This Week.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

Yesterday a couple of minutes past 4pm, Siobhan, with sports news, said Wexford GAA were complaining about lack of tickets as there were "many more counties in their club"............oh, dear.

There are these 3 dj's doing a breakfast show on 2fm...they seem to have no idea what they're doing, talking over each other... :pac:

Darren Frehill on about Crowe Park on the sports news yesterday morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement