Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherited telescope- Atlas Explorer

Options
  • 29-05-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Greetings!
    I have received a cheap starter scope that was stored in a loft for a number of years prior to me having it. I have no background in astronomy but I thought it would be worth trying to reinstate the telescope to, at least, give it a go. It had no eyepieces when I was given it but I have borrowed a few from a friend. When I tried to use the scope yesterday (indoors - just to see if I could get an image of the led bulbs in my home office), I could not seem to get n alignment between the finder cope and the main eyepiece view.
    When I removed the eyepiece itself and looked down the eyepiece housing it appears that the image of the mirror at the bottom of the tube is "offset" a little. I suppose that there is some sort of re-alignment required. I am a confident "tinkler" when it comes to pulling things apart to fix, but I cannot find advice online to help me start the process.
    Is it worth me taking it to someone who can set it up for me? Is it something I can do myself? Do I need special equipment to do it?

Many thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate that this isn't much info to go on too, so please ask any clarifying questions?

I also don't want to pour too much money into something that could be a "flash in the pan" experience too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

Unfortunately, Summer is the time most astronomy clubs go into hibernation so you may have to wait until August before they start up again.

The Dublin Stargazers will be meeting on August 23rd.

There is a gathering in Dunsink Observatory on the 21st of June for Solarfest.

Check the IFAS site to see if there are clubs near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

Thank you for the reply. I may have to start stalking the IFAS site!

Advertisement