Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton Traffic Lights at Lidl

Options
  • 29-05-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Some smart person put in traffic lights at Lidl in Midleton , where there was no traffic jam before they have created one now , its the link road around the town to keep the traffic off the main street. All they had to do was stop the traffic coming down the laneway off the main street from turning right. Problem solved.

Now thanks to this great planning system there is traffic issues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

solargain wrote: »
    Some smart person put in traffic lights at Lidl in Midleton , where there was no traffic jam before they have created one now , its the link road around the town to keep the traffic off the main street. All they had to do was stop the traffic coming down the laneway off the main street from turning right. Problem solved.

Now thanks to this great planning system there is traffic issues

Yeah, that's in place a while now. Definitely made traffic worse from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I imagine a large part of the reason for the lights is to allow a pedestrian crossing. It's a tricky place to cross without the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Its not that difficult to cross there( look left , look right cross if there is no traffic coming) , but there is no system in place to let the lights run with the flow of traffic , another waste of out taxes, Yet they cannot fill the potholes and look after the rural community, the rural roads leading into Midleton are a disgrace. The bulk of the traffic going in there is cars , with a small number of pedestrians.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Completely agree, complete waste of time and money. They must be helping Cork City Council dispose of their surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Agree, they really ****ed that junction up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

another moronic decision by another moronic moron being payed to serve the public interests,whoever proposed the lights in the first place should be horsewhipped,what a shower of pxxxks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There was no need for traffic lights like they have there, but it is a tricky place to cross, you'd be surprised how fast the cars go along that road.

A pedestrian crossing away from the junction would sort it out . Now the whole place is in chaos. The idea of that road was to keep the traffic off the main street & flowing . Not stopped up all day ( for no pedestrians at all )

When bridges wash away in rural areas just outside Midleton rural communities are left in hardship for over 9 months, with roads closed ,families travelling about 6 miles to go one just to bring children to school, get to work etc, with the claims there is no money there to fix it . Yet there is money for that stuff in the town.

Sorry but its just not good enough who ever is in charge there has a lot to answer for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

solargain wrote: »
    A pedestrian crossing away from the junction would sort it out . Now the whole place is in chaos. The idea of that road was to keep the traffic off the main street & flowing . Not stopped up all day ( for no pedestrians at all )

Yeah, the idea might have been a good one but in practice its a disaster. Driving through town a few weeks back (coming from the distillery end) the traffic on Main street was slow. 'Sure I'll drive around the back by Lidl' I says to myself, only to find myself in even slower moving traffic there cos of the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Lidl is closed until Christmas, so I heard? Aldi will make a killing, but it'll be near impossible to get out now with those traffic lights.

I already had to avoid going into Adli on a few occasions due to the traffic jam all the way back to Aldi.

Firstly they destroy the town parking with those fancy footpaths, and then they proceed to destroy Watersedge.

• Advertisement

Lidl is closed until Christmas, so I heard?

Closed off this morning anyway. Hopefully it will open sooner than that though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Refurbishment?

as far as I know, yeah. something about re doing the roof, and maybe a small expansion towards the road.

the planning notice says
    Permission for development to extend and modernise the existing Lidl licenced discount foodstore (to total 1,857.06 sqm gross floor area with 1,286 sqm net retail sales area) at a site of approximately .71 hectares located at the existing Lidl Discount Foodstore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

The new lights are ridiculous. Absolutely no need for them. The only time I used to see congestion there was when the schools finished. Now there's that amount of traffic every time I pass there.

Also, the lights on the big roundabout are pretty infuriating. Traffic is constantly stopped for pedestrians. Just today, I was stopped by the lights on the tesco side of the roundabout for a pedestrian crossing the opposite side. Then when I got around to the other set of lights, I was stopped again by the lights for the same bloody pedestrian crossing the tesco side crossing!!!! So infuriating. Both lights shouldn't turn red, I don't get it. There's no way a pedestrian can cross both sets of lights in one go without sprinting.

The lidl traffic lights are causing total & utter traffic wreck to the town . YOu sit a red light , even though there is nobody crossing or no other traffic in any direction

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've heard of a couple of Lidl's closing for refunisments and they generally closed for about six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's closed until early December, they've already advertised it locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sascoser

I think the lights in midleton are absolutely dreadful. The other night I just couldn't believe what I saw there was a car coming out on the side from lidl to turn left towards the cork road and as the went it just stopped at the protection crossing cos on the other side where the traffic is coming from the funeral side the lights there were red. The idiot in the car that came from lidl thought the lights were red and they just stopped there holding up the traffic. The light there need to be gone as its causing mayhem for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

sascoser wrote: »
    The idiot in the car that came from lidl thought the lights were red and they just stopped there holding up the traffic. The light there need to be gone as its causing mayhem for people.

I have seen that aswell, but as you said idiot drivers.
    I've seen cars blocking the yellow box causing problems.
    I've seen the lights go green & a car turning right into Lidl just sitting there waiting for a green right turn, instead of moving forward to midjuction allowing other cars behind to pass.

But I for one think the lights are good, a few changes like filter lights, and reduce footpath size (churchlane side) to allow traffic to flow past waiting Lidl cars.

Intelligent pedestrian lights that don't change if no one is waiting to cross, or just a single crossing point as there is no footpath on the other side of 2nd crossing point, that way traffic could still flow in/out Lidl to right with 3lanes on bridge

• Advertisement
Advertisement