Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to buy from local distributor

Options
  • 29-05-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Could be the wrong forum for this so move if necessary mods..

Recently placed an online order with a UK based company for some items. Order has just been cancelled because they "can't sell to me because of local stockists". I'm shipping the item to NI and they do free delivery there and all.

I take this to mean, we want to sell to you (money is money), but we can't because someone in your area also sells these products...so you should (have to) buy from them instead (even if they're more expensive).

European this and that taken into account, but is this allowed? No borders etc. but the consumer can still get shafted because of company policy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

They are perfectly within their rights as they can choose whom they sell to and whom they don't sell to. I would try contacting the local distributor and trying to bargain the price down.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

ElNino wrote: »
    They are perfectly within their rights as they can choose whom they sell to and whom they don't sell to. I would try contacting the local distributor and trying to bargain the price down.

Waiting to hear who the local distributor is and will see what they say. I'm being glass half empty, but I'm presuming they'll be more expensive.
    Never know, I might get a nice surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

They don't know I'm in Rep. Ireland...but they do know I'm in Ireland somewhere and wherever that somewhere is, there is a distributor nearer to me than they are.
    That almost hurt my head to type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

That is what I fear.
    I enjoy the challenge of searching for the best deal, but this kind of company policy takes the fun out of it.
    If there isn't a law against refusing to sell to a consumer, therefore forcing them to buy elsewhere at more expense, then there should be.

Is it too late to put my name forward for that election thingy I keep hearing about...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

The vendor may have a deal with the local stockists that they can only sell in certain regions. This could have been part of a deal that the local stockists only sell the vendors type of products instead of x,y and z brand of product.

So essentially it's the vendor who has put up the borders and selling into a region with an agreement like that could violate their contract with the local stockists.

It could also mean that if a product becomes faulty it's up to the local stockist to fix/replace etc... if you didn't buy from them, they'll tell you where to go. :P

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    The vendor may have a deal with the local stockists that they can only sell in certain regions. This could have been part of a deal that the local stockists only sell the vendors type of products instead of x,y and z brand of product.

So essentially it's the vendor who has put up the borders and selling into a region with an agreement like that could violate their contract with the local stockists.

It could also mean that if a product becomes faulty it's up to the local stockist to fix/replace etc... if you didn't buy from them, they'll tell you where to go. :P

Took me a few minutes but think I've grasped this.

Manufacturer: "Hello local stockist, you can sell my product (lucky you), instead of other competing products..."

Vendor: "I'll stock your item, but you need to protect my potential customer base, by telling other stockists of your product to stay off my turf."

Manufacturer: "Good point. I'll tell all stockist of our product to stay out of other stockists regions...starting with you."

BUT...the manufacturer should be thinking about what would happen if a particular stockist increases the retail price to maximize their potential profit, to the point that shoppers look elsewhere for that same product.
    And as in my case, no joy for the customer, so they buy something else off a competitor instead.

Re. not buying local and expecting local stockist to help you out when something goes wrong. When I buy of t'internet, I be wary of losing warranty i.e. I assume all responsibility for my purchase and wouldn't feel comfortable trying to return the goods to the local outlet.
    On the other hand..I bought my car in the UK when I lived there. Moved back to Ireland and eventually had to bring it for it's first service. Customer service manager says "why didn't you buy it from us". He'll go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

They don't know I'm in Rep. Ireland...but they do know I'm in Ireland somewhere and wherever that somewhere is, there is a distributor nearer to me than they are.
    That almost hurt my head to type.

where's your problem?

The manufacturer of the product has given region specific distribution rights to different companies in different countries. Part of the agreement is not to sell in another person's territory.

Quite simple and quite normal and doesn't necessarily mean higher prices. However selling and distributing in a market of 6m (assuming NI is included) is more expensive than selling in a country with 60m.

If you have a problem, its with the manufacturer, NOT with the distributors as the manufacturer makes the rules.

As for thinking there's a law to say you have to sell to someone - that's just ridiculous. Any shop, even your local shop, can refuse to sell anything to you without giving you reason - only exception is if they are not selling to you based on race or gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

So much for the so-called free market. The EU makes up the rules and then forgets to implement them. Of course the elephant in the room then is we could all buy mercs in the cheapest market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

So much for the so-called free market. The EU makes up the rules and then forgets to implement them. Of course the elephant in the room then is we could all buy mercs in the cheapest market.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the free market or governments. It's a self imposed policy by the company that creates the products. They can choose how they wish to distribute them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well you can buy a Merc in the cheapest market. For example, you could go to Spain or Germany and order a right hand drive car if you like. But you will be hit for VAT and VRT when you bring it back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What relevant rules have they made and are forgetting to implement? Are you saying there is an EU rule that forbids regional distribution agreements?

skelligs wrote: »
    where's your problem?
    Hard to distinguish the tone/spirit from written word, but I'll take the common theme of your post (assumption) and assume you are asking a question and not being confrontational.
    The manufacturer of the product has given region specific distribution rights to different companies in different countries. Part of the agreement is not to sell in another person's territory.
    This is an assumption.
    OK, previous posts cover this as the potential reason...but there are no facts, albeit probabilities. There is of course the the possibility that the stockist themselves have another distribution point nearer my chosen delivery address...so in this case it would be a stockists policy, not the manufacturers.
    ...However selling and distributing in a market of 6m (assuming NI is included) is more expensive than selling in a country with 60m.
    This just might be a generalization. Distributing/selling to a country of 6m may be no more expensive than selling to 60m. Simple example; consider the item is manufactured in the country of 6m.
    If you have a problem, its with the manufacturer, NOT with the distributors as the manufacturer makes the rules.
    If I had a problem, it could be with either.
    As for thinking there's a law to say you have to sell to someone - that's just ridiculous. Any shop, even your local shop, can refuse to sell anything to you without giving you reason - only exception is if they are not selling to you based on race or gender.
    Again, see my comment re. tone/spirit - but the word ridiculous is unwarranted.
    Read my posts carefully. Nowhere did I suggest there was a law dictating that you have to sell to someone. That is a broad other topic of conversation. In particular, note the thread subject is "Have to buy from local distributor".

This thread has run it's course for me. I'll leave but not before saying that I'm sure Ireland and other countries have to tow certain lines as part of our membership of the EU. It would not be beyond reason (beyond ridiculous) that manufacturers be prevented from forcing regional trade agreements upon stockists of their products. Why would the manufacturer care who sells their stock as long as it is sold. I may not be seeing the broader picture but I see the only picture that matters to me, that of the consumer having to pay more for the same.
    On that note, I'm pretty sure that from time to time, we see news stories highlighting the cost of buying goods in Ireland versus UK or other, and invariably it seems we are paying more for the same produce/products. This is what it boils down to - I don't want to pay more for the same regardless of manufacturer or stockist policy.

Thanks to all posters for their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

slimjimmc wrote: »
    What relevant rules have they made and are forgetting to implement? Are you saying there is an EU rule that forbids regional distribution agreements?
    There does appear to be one, because such practices are anti-competitive: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/;jsessionid=225pTKXFZDCxstb6tgCpcNx000QT07q52pBVlJhJ4zKTknCWqLQ9!480207452?uri=CELEX:12008E101

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't understand this. From this below
    I'm shipping the item to NI and they do free delivery there and all.
    it seemed you had put the order in and already chosen NI which had free delivery.

I could understand if they shipped to only mainland UK and if you asked if they will send to NI.
    If he was using a parcel motel address they might cop it.

Now I wonder if he ordered to a more regular NI address would it have been refused. I also wonder if he tells them he is in NI near the border and only using PM as a way to get it when he is not at home, would they suddenly accept it.

Why would the manufacturer care who sells their stock as long as it is sold.
    Because it might be more profitable. My local eurospar sold 5% heineken alongside 4.3% heineken, the 5% was scottish market stuff, brewed & canned in holland, where the 4.3% was also brewed & canned. They presumably charge a lot more wholesale here.

If you went to by an ipod on amazon.com I doubt they will send it here, nor levis jeans, both of which are known to control prices.

People are too quick to blame the last guy, a friend of mine know the distributor for a well known bicycle brand here, we got a bike from the UK including delivery cheaper than he can get it wholesale, hugely different RRP on them, and so different wholesale prices.

rubadub wrote: »

I don't understand this. From this below
    I'm shipping the item to NI and they do free delivery there and all.

The first was my response to the question "If you are shipping to NI how do they know you are in the republic?"
    I was attempting to indicate that the seller did not know where in Ireland I was, but must have assumed that because I was shipping to NI I was either in the Rep. or NI i.e. in Ireland, but not England, Scotland nor Wales.

Why would the manufacturer care who sells their stock as long as it is sold.
    Because it might be more profitable.

Fair point, hadn't considered the manufacturers wholesale prices can differ depending on who they are asking to stock their product and where.
    People are too quick to blame the last guy
    I think manufacturer and stockist have been given equal enough attention throughout the thread i.e. any blame apportioned isn't all loaded onto the last guy in the chain.

For what it's worth, I originally paid for the item using my UK debit card. The UK credentials obviously didn't matter in the process and the stockist has recently replied to my queries with "We can sell and deliver to an address in England, Scotland or Wales but not Ireland". No further clarification if they mean the whole of Ireland north and south, nor any clarification if they allow a UK buyer to ship to another non-NI UK destination.
    Anyway, I simply replied asking that they consider putting this kind of information on their website to save consumer hassle/confusion.

Advertisement