Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing cable for UPC Horizon during renovation

• 29-05-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I am renovating a house at the moment and I plan to get UPC horizon box once I move in. The electrician has put in network cables and coaxial cables etc. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to run cable from where the horizon box will be (in the middle of the house), to where UPC will bring their outside cable to (on the outside wall) - before slabs/ceilings go in.

I asked @UPCIreland and they said that a technician would do the install once I am ready to get the services - but I would prefer obviously to run any interior cables now and hide them from view.

Does anyone know if it is just standard coaxial cable that they use?

Many thanks,
    Conor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Hi,

I am renovating a house at the moment and I plan to get UPC horizon box once I move in. The electrician has put in network cables and coaxial cables etc. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to run cable from where the horizon box will be (in the middle of the house), to where UPC will bring their outside cable to (on the outside wall) - before slabs/ceilings go in.

I asked @UPCIreland and they said that a technician would do the install once I am ready to get the services - but I would prefer obviously to run any interior cables now and hide them from view.

Does anyone know if it is just standard coaxial cable that they use?

Many thanks,
    Conor

Yes, the Horizon box does not need any special cable, works off the same bog-standard coaxial as all previous cable services.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 conorsomahony

That's great, I asked my electrician and he is going to run the cable now.

He just asked me the same question if there is an exact type of cable they use- I can just tell him standard coaxial or would it be better to put in a particular type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

That's great, I asked my electrician and he is going to run the cable now.

He just asked me the same question if there is an exact type of cable they use- I can just tell him standard coaxial or would it be better to put in a particular type?

Meh, unless you have a monstrous house, standard is fine.

Theoretically a thicker cable is better because it loses less of the signal but if we're only talking about a few metres it won't make any appreciable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RG6 or CT100-standard satellite grade cable.

A couple of new builds I've seen in recent years RG6 was installed as standard by the electrician.

http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-rg6-and-rg59/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

RG59 can be used but if I had the opportunity I would put in a heavy grade cable as The Cush says. When doing my hybrid Saorview/Freesat set-up, I ran an RG59 cable from the terrestrial antenna. It was so lightweight I can imagine the cable won't last as long over the years.

Any UPC installations I have seen they use the heavier grade cable - best stick in the RG6 or CT100 or else Mr UPC guy will try justifying his existence and put in his preferred cable :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement