Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Engineering opportunities in London

Options
  • 29-05-2014 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Im hoping to get a bit of help here. I've spent the last 4-5 years in Australia/NZ and have decided that I'm coming back next year to more familiar territory to look for work. Mainly because my parents health isn't what it used to be, and I feel that I should be there a bit more for them as they get older. What are the opportunities/$$ like in London at the moment for Civil Engineers?

I have no doubt I'd like London, as I'm mad into footy and music! :) Have a few mates already over there spread out through the UK. The sheer size of London could be a bit daunting to live in though- the biggest city Ive lived in so far is Auckland and there's no real comparison! :D

I've researched this forum and it's very helpful, but I really want to be sure of how things are going there and be pretty certain of securing work. I want to take a couple of months out to see a bit more of the world before I start looking for work, so securing a job before I go isn't really an option.

How much realistically do you think Id need heading over there to tie me over before I got sorted with work? Would you reckon that I should secure work within 2-3 months? I have about 10 years experience under my belt at the moment- no degree though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 TransportCons

I presume you have your 10years site experience as a civil engineer (setting out, etc) so I think you'll have no problem getting work, but to be honest, be prepared to be living well outside of London. If you don't have a degree, it will be practically impossible to get work with the consultancies, so focus on contractors.

London is big. Very big. Any properties for rent in the city centre areas are expensive as a result. I know friends who have lived there for the past three to four years and all live between 30min and 50mins away via the Tube from the city centre due to rent prices. Probably talking minimum £500-£600pm for a very basic house share, but be prepared to pay more.

If you are looking for the Irish community, they've very little left in Cricklewood and Kilburn, most are now living in Clapham. (There's also good nightlife in Clapham!). Earlsfield is also a nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I presume you have your 10years site experience as a civil engineer (setting out, etc) so I think you'll have no problem getting work, but to be honest, be prepared to be living well outside of London. If you don't have a degree, it will be practically impossible to get work with the consultancies, so focus on contractors.

London is big. Very big. Any properties for rent in the city centre areas are expensive as a result. I know friends who have lived there for the past three to four years and all live between 30min and 50mins away via the Tube from the city centre due to rent prices. Probably talking minimum £500-£600pm for a very basic house share, but be prepared to pay more.

If you are looking for the Irish community, they've very little left in Cricklewood and Kilburn, most are now living in Clapham. (There's also good nightlife in Clapham!). Earlsfield is also a nice area.

Thanks for that man. My 10 years experience is mainly working in consultancies Ireland, Oz and NZ. Interesting you say that not having a degree can hamper you a bit back there- it doesn't make much difference in this part of the world. All down to experience really. Don't mind working outside of London, but would like to be pretty close to the action all the same.

I'm prepared for the expense (I think!), but what concerns me is how much do I actually need to get set up before I get work? I'd hope to go over there without anything lined up (doing a bit of travelling first once I quit NZ), and basically just start looking for work straight away in or around London. I'd be hoping close to 5K sterling, but don't want to be scrimping and scraping either!

Well 10yrs consultancy experience might interest some of the companies over there - I just find that most people working in consltancies have already got degrees, whereas site based roles are more focused on experience/who you know....

If you've any interest in managing site crews, I've heard of an irish civils company called Riney based in East London (cheaper rent) who have won big streetworks contracts recently. Might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

There's also the Murphy route, they're doing huge work on Crossrail at the moment. You'll be sorted lad.

Also worth checking out Conway - another big Irish crowd in streetworks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Thanks a million guys! Just had a quick look at their sites- seem like what Id be after alright! Murphys are looking for heaps of people.... all graduates by the looks of things though! I'll definitely get onto them later in the year when I start planning!

Much appreciated guys- I could do with all the help I can get regarding this! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Ballymore on big job in Vauxhall and more lined up down the Thames

Advertisement