Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Advice

• 29-05-2014 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all, t'is myself again looking for some much needed help with my adopted one.

Now thats shes settled and the two pooches are getting on, I really need to get ironing out a few "problems"

The Terrier I adopted is a joy, she is so good out, recall is great etc.

The problem is, in the home. She is soooo needy. My friend won't come round for dinner cos the little one is constantly pawing and licking. She's not very food orientated and toys she will just play fetch from here to eternity.

So how do I go about getting her to stop trying to climb on myself and guests. She is terrible whenever I am on the laptop or computer for trying to climb on top of me and even when the boyfriend is around she sits on top of him.
    I have no problem giving her attention but I need her to go and lie down when I have to do stuff and not have her crawling and jumping up on people.
    and also when shes rolled in something smelly and I have bathed her, I need her to settle in her basket and not soak everything. (I use the hairdryer to get the heavy wet out but she's still damp for a while so don't want her on the sofa leaving damp patches) She will go in her basket for a few minutes but will then try and get back up on the sofa so its a constant moving her back to the basket.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length but always feel its better to give details. Oh she is 3 and neutered and obviously female.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you have a crate/pen for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

tk123 wrote: »
    Do you have a crate/pen for her?

no, just a basket and financially can't afford to get one for a few weeks so thats out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You need to stop giving her attention whenever she looks for it. I know you say you have no problem with it but you are reinforcing the needy behaviour. When she does it put her down on the floor if she climbs up, say 'no', shake your head and steadfastly ignore her until she gives up. Unfortunately she will get worse before she gets better. I had the same from Rani, she would lick, climb, and claw at you for attention but these days she'll come looking then leave when I shake my head.

I'd recommend crating her when you have visitors for the time being, but visitors should also ignore her when she displays this behaviour.

So tough love it is, I have been doing this up to now but its hard. She will go away for a minute then come crawling and clawing back. So just need to keep on keeping on.
    To be fair she doesn't lick as much but its a long way to go yet. She just has to have her face in your face and lick you to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mince Pie wrote: »
    So tough love it is, I have been doing this up to now but its hard. She will go away for a minute then come crawling and clawing back. So just need to keep on keeping on.
    To be fair she doesn't lick as much but its a long way to go yet. She just has to have her face in your face and lick you to death.

I'd try to call her back to you when she goes away for a minute. Get there before she decides herself to come back. I know that seems counter intuitive but you want her to think

"when I climb all over someone I'm ignored, when I sit nicely, I'm invited over for cuddles"

You can increase the away time as she gets better.

In the meantime, teach her a really good stay, but don't use it for having her stay in her bed until she's more comfortable being away from you.

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I'd try to call her back to you when she goes away for a minute. Get there before she decides herself to come back. I know that seems counter intuitive but you want her to think

"when I climb all over someone I'm ignored, when I sit nicely, I'm invited over for cuddles"

You can increase the away time as she gets better.

In the meantime, teach her a really good stay, but don't use it for having her stay in her bed until she's more comfortable being away from you.

Good, should have thought of that but can't see the wood for the trees at the minute and want to get it right for a happier dog and furry mammy.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by the bit bolded?? Sorry, its probably really obvious but I don't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

This lady will explain it better than I can :) She's brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4PPcE1CqY&feature=kp

(for some reason I can only add the link)

EDIT: If you don't clicker train, it looks weird but it's just a marker for the dog to know it did the right thing. You can use a word if you prefer. I use "yes" if I don't have my clicker with me

Whispered wrote: »
    This lady will explain it better than I can :) She's brilliant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk4PPcE1CqY&feature=kp

(for some reason I can only add the link)

Ta, will have a look when I get home this evening. :)

Advertisement