Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Why such surprise? They were bound to lose again and were not going to keep on winning even with the unbeaten run having gone and then won

It's usually surprising when the favourite loses. It was 1st place vs. 7th place....

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Trinity are really going well at the moment. They could really push on in next year or two as they're such a young inexperienced side this season

Trinity are getting better with every game,they have a very good 10 in jack McDermott ex Shannon u19 player ,a running 10 good off the tee and in defence also they have a winger Tim Maupin who plays with the US eagles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Braken wrote: »
    Trinity are getting better with every game,they have a very good 10 in jack McDermott ex Shannon u19 player ,a running 10 good off the tee and in defence also they have a winger Tim Maupin who plays with the US eagles...
    Maupin may be an International but they are a very young, inexperienced side in the main(even for a Uni side) and while they are getting better every game. This season will be too soon for them but they could really go far in the next season or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Their u20 team are doing very very well too in their competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Braken wrote: »

I was at the Trinity/B Quins game.

Agree it might be a little early this year BUT Trinity were very good scoring 4 excellent tries-they were missing both centres Lavelle(their captain) at 13 and Fromm at 12 and also Fitzpatrick on the wing..Michael Courtney who has come off the bench in the last 3 matches made his first start at 13 and was excellent-running hard and setting up a try with a great offload and dropping a goal. He has bulked up considerably. McDermott is a very good player and scored 2 excellent tries and Conor Kearns at 15 was also very good also scoring 2 tries.

They have an excellent U20 side with great depth and they are 2nd in the JP F with 7 wins from 8 so far. Interestingly they also have Slater the ex UCC 9 in their squad and he came on with 20 to go having been out since september. Brian Du Toit was the man of the match for me at 7. Maupin wasnt great yesterday dropping 2 easy balls and a couple of tackles.

They will get a chance to see where they really sit when Galwegians come to college park in 2 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

The ending to the Skerries Banbridge match on Saturday was a bit special

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/skerries-banbridge-1820228-Dec2014/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Some great rugby on offer this week in 1A. Academy and development players should be back from B&I cup

Terenure v UCD Terenure
    Cork Con v Dolphin Con
    Old Belvedere v Clontarf Clontarf
    Ballynahinch v Young Munster Hinch
    Lansdowne v St Marys Lansdowne

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Their u20 team are doing very very well too in their competition.
    Can see them doing well in Frazer McMullan. Only see Cork Con/NUIG-Corinthains doing anything from Connacht-Munster may bear them
    Stainalert wrote: »
    Some great rugby on offer this week in 1A. Academy and development players should be back from B&I cup

Terenure v UCD Terenure
    Cork Con v Dolphin Con
    What about the other divisions. Thoughts on them? AIL isn't all about 10 teams....

Garryowen well on top against Shannon 27-10, Con leading Dolphin 11-6, Tullamore leading Navan h/t 14-0

Yeah Stainalert! What about the epic Div2B encounter between Sundays Well and Boyne tomorrow?!

Shame on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Terenure v UCD Terenure
    Cork Con v Dolphin Con

Will be an interesting weekend as you say where teams will all be at their strongest after a great start to 1a for Terenure I fancy the students to cause an upset this weekend, Con bet Dolphin tonight which is big trouble for Dolphin. Going for 3 home wins for the rest oh and Boyne to come out on top

Sundays Well all the way

Good day for UCD getting 5 points away to Nure who really have hit a wall.
    Con, Tarf and Hinch also picked up wins with the game at the Aviva still in progress.
    Terenure 24-33 UCD
    Belvo 21-24 Tarf
    Con 17-6 Dolphin
    Hinch 39-6 YM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So Terenure's top of table position now looking precarious.

Trinity hammer Galwegians 35-5 at the top of 1B.
    Belfast Quins 38-7 UL Bohs
    Corinthians 13-13 Ballymena
    Shannon 17-34 Garryowen

vienne86 wrote: »

Win for Lansdowne will put them top i think

• Advertisement

Divisions 2A and 2B seem to have gone as expected from what I can see with the usual suspects winning.

They were never going to have it easy and there is plenty more losses ahead for Terenure this season
    Good day for UCD getting 5 points away to Nure who really have hit a wall.
    Con, Tarf and Hinch also picked up wins with the game at the Aviva still in progress.
    Terenure 24-33 UCD
    Belvo 21-24 Tarf
    Con 17-6 Dolphin
    Hinch 39-6 YM
    Surprised Cookies lost by that much. Any thoughts on other divisions?
    Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah Stainalert! What about the epic Div2B encounter between Sundays Well and Boyne tomorrow?!

Shame on you.
    Don't be a dick. Its a fair comment. There's 40 other senior teams. Yes the top flight will get the most attention as it should but why no predictions/thoughts on the other 80% of teams who played

Don't be a dick. Its a fair comment. There's 40 other senior teams. Yes the top flight will get the most attention as it should but why no predictions/thoughts on the other 80% of teams who played

The guy simply posted the fixtures for 1A and you proceeded to inform him that the "AIL isn't all about 10 teams....". I'm sure he already knew the AIL wasn't all about 10 teams. He doesn't have a responsibility to discuss games in the other divisions, nor should he.

I know you would like people to have the same interest in the lower divisions of the AIL and in the youths game, but you can't force it upon people.

They were never going to have it easy and there is plenty more losses ahead for Terenure this season

Surprised Cookies lost by that much. Any thoughts on other divisions?

Had Galwegians down as near certainties myself until that today. trinity growing week by week it seems. Garryowen back in the hunt now too. I'll still back Galwegians for now but not quite as sure of myself!

Wesley look to be the best in 2A and just seem to keep winning. Had a friend at Donnybrook today who said they weren't particularly good today but just have that winning habit now. Rock, since that first game have been very good themselves. They are my team that I follow along with ucd so I'm gonna back then to the end. They play Wesley in Stradbrook in January which will go a long way to deciding the league. Queens and Skerries and Barnhall all could, with a good run behind them knick a promotion spot. Both QUB and Skerries had big wins today against Bective and Seapoint respectively.

Highfield in 2B like Wesley look a cut above the rest and I can't see past them. Big 13-36 win at Wanderers today. Only see Tullamore as potentially catching them really.

The guy simply posted the fixtures for 1A and you proceeded to inform him that the "AIL isn't all about 10 teams....". I'm sure he already knew the AIL wasn't all about 10 teams. He doesn't have a responsibility to discuss games in the other divisions, nor should he.

I know you would like people to have the same interest in the lower divisions of the AIL and in the youths game, but you can't force it upon people.
    It was a fair comment. There is 5 times as many senior clubs as is in 1A. Not forcing anyone but why only mention 5 games when there was 26 games played.....
    Just a simple observation.
    Had Galwegians down as near certainties myself until that today. trinity growing week by week it seems. Garryowen back in the hunt now too. I'll still back Galwegians for now but not quite as sure of myself!

Wesley look to be the best in 2A and just seem to keep winning. Had a friend at Donnybrook today who said they weren't particularly good today but just have that winning habit now. Rock, since that first game have been very good themselves. They are my team that I follow along with ucd so I'm gonna back then to the end. They play Wesley in Stradbrook in January which will go a long way to deciding the league. Queens and Skerries and Barnhall all could, with a good run behind them knick a promotion spot. Both QUB and Skerries had big wins today against Bective and Seapoint respectively.

Highfield in 2B like Wesley look a cut above the rest and I can't see past them. Big 13-36 win at Wanderers today. Only see Tullamore as potentially catching them really.
    Trinity doing well and as Smeeth has been saying through the season they will really progress if they stabilise this season as there squad has a lot of 2nd and 3rd years involved this year and their u20s are very strong they could push up to 1A in a few seasons time. Wegians will have been aided so much by ability to add a few contracted players that they couldn't use last season
    Skerries have played Wesley and Blackrock and were well beaten in both. Don't see them being in frame for a promotion spot. They still have loads of sides deep in the mix for top 10 places and the battle for those places will be horrible..
    Armagh have a better chance than Tullamore from experience of playing them...

• Advertisement

It was a fair comment. There is 5 times as many senior clubs as is in 1A. Not forcing anyone but why only mention 5 games when there was 26 games played.....
    Just a simple observation.

Aye, and my comment afterwards was just a light-hearted joke.

So Terenure toppled from the top spot, and replaced by Landsdowne.

Aye, and my comment afterwards was just a light-hearted joke.

Think I was the first to post about predictions for the weekend so not sure why I am getting criticised for it. Good to see the Well notching up the win over Boyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

After back to back promotions and going on an unbelievable run of consecutive victories Terenure were always going to hit a bit of a wall once the unbeaten run came to an end. They have been beaten by UCD, Lansdowne and Ballynahinch. No disgrace. They slaughtered Young Munster and beat St.Mary's away on their winning run. I am confident they will bounce back from this blip.

Think I was the first to post about predictions for the weekend so not sure why I am getting criticised for it. Good to see the Well notching up the win over Boyne.
    Just simple observation. Dont be a dick dismissing any of those sides anyway. There s 26 games most weekends so why only ever talk about 5 maybe 10 of those games?

Just simple observation. Dont be a dick dismissing any of those sides anyway. There s 26 games most weekends so why only ever talk about 5 maybe 10 of those games?

Don't know why you are getting so uppity. Surely people can post what they like as long as its within the rules. You are telling people what they should and shouldn't be posting. If people only want to talk about Division 1 then its up to them.

If it's okay with you I will comment on the games that I wish to comment about. For what it's worth the reason I focus more on 1A is that it is the division I watch most and know more about. I have never and will never dismiss other non 1A sides.

On other matters Trinity look like they are developing some serious momentum - great win over Galwegians.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Don't know why you are getting so uppity. Surely people can post what they like as long as its within the rules. You are telling people what they should and shouldn't be posting. If people only want to talk about Division 1 then its up to them.
    Not getting uppity so you can relax.
    Simple query. There is 52 teams and 26 games most weeks why ignore the majority of them.

It wasn't long ago you made a similar complaint to someone on the u20 thread for putting up two u20 team-sheets, telling him that "not all top players are in those two clubs".

You've accused me and Stainalert of being "dicks". I'll tell you what being a dick is. When someone comes on and posts enthusiastically listing the Div1a fixtures, and you proceed to tell them the "AIL isn't all about 10 teams.....".

Not getting uppity so you can relax.
    Simple query. There is 52 teams and 26 games most weeks why ignore the majority of them.

Because people are allowed to ignore them. They are not breaking any rules by ignoring them. If you have an interest in all four divisions good for you. Doesn't mean everyone has to. The fact that you seem to look down on people who don't have as broad an interest as you is purely and simply your problem.

• Advertisement

It wasn't long ago you made a similar complaint to someone on the u20 thread for putting up two u20 team-sheets, telling him that "not all top players are in those two clubs".

You've accused me and Stainalert of being "dicks". I'll tell you what being a dick is. When someone comes on and posts enthusiastically listing the Div1a fixtures, and you proceed to tell them the "AIL isn't all about 10 teams.....".
    It was a simple query and then some posters started totally dismissing some of the clubs competing in the lower divisions(your pathetic comment about Da Well and Boyne) even if it was in jest.

I simply stated the AIL isn't about the top flight and there is more rugby played each weekend in the other divisions. Perhaps I should have asked for his opinion on those games.

Stainalert what are your opinions on 2A/2B? Who do you tip to win each division? Who do you tip to be in each of the new divisions 2A/2B/2C? Who do you tip for relegation? What players in 2A/2B do you think could comfortably step up to Division 1?

I just don't think you realise how condescending your comments can come across sometimes. Maybe you don't intend them to be, but it still comes across that way.

Anyway, let's just bury it. I'm taking this thread off topic and I don't want to discourage you from posting because you're a very knowledgable poster and your contributions are valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Who died and made you King? This isn't your thread and not for you to get on and preach or make rules get off you high horse and leave people post and comment on what they want when they want not for you to decide or be the moral police. Your comments reflect more on the type of person you are than anything else and your further condescending comments back that up. Not needed nor wanted I would suggest.

Stainalert what are your opinions on 2A/2B? Who do you tip to win each division? Who do you tip to be in each of the new divisions 2A/2B/2C? Who do you tip for relegation? What players in 2A/2B do you think could comfortably step up to Division 1?[/QUOTE]

No stopping Old Wesley in 2A and it seems unsurprisingly Emmet Farrell (together with Trevor Hogan and Tonnetti) are having a decent effect on Blackrock so would fancy Rock to fill the other slot. Surprised Barnhall not doing a little bit better but plenty of time to improve things I guess. Shannon look like they are in a spot of trouble which is a great shame. Think they may go down along with one of the northern teams

Highfield look in control of 2B and good to see Tullamore challenging - I don't think Greystones have enough depth to really challenge so I think Armagh are really the main challenge to the top 2 with my dark horse being Sundays Well. Very unfair on the top 2 clubs that they don't actually get promoted in my opinion. 2 or 3 of the 11- 16 slots still very much for grabs. Surprised Wanderers are not doing a bit better considering how much they are rumoured to have spent but would back them to maintain their 2A presence. Naas look to have steadied the ship but again don't think there is much depth to their squad so depending on injuries they might get into trouble.

Players wise there are plenty of young guys in Rock (Sean Coughlan is one guy for example) who are worth keeping an eye on.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Who died and made you King? This isn't your thread and not for you to get on and preach or make rules get off you high horse and leave people post and comment on what they want when they want not for you to decide or be the moral police. Your comments reflect more on the type of person you are than anything else and your further condescending comments back that up. Not needed nor wanted I would suggest.

C'mon folks let's get off Lost Sheep's case and get back to the rugby

Good few of that Rock team were a part of the winning 2013 cup team. Also a few have joined from other clubs like Sean Coughlan and Conor Kilcoyne from Lansdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

ArmchairQB wrote: »

C'mon folks let's get off Lost Sheep's case and get back to the rugby

Enough of the back seat modding, from all of you, please. If you have an issue with a post report it and let us deal with it please.

Good few of that Rock team were a part of the winning 2013 cup team. Also a few have joined from other clubs like Sean Coughlan and Conor Kilcoyne from Lansdowne.

Coughlan is a very good prospect. Converted from a back row from a winger. Is he U20's this year still?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Coughlan is a very good prospect. Converted from a back row from a winger. Is he U20's this year still?

No overage

• Advertisement

Stainalert what are your opinions on 2A/2B? Who do you tip to win each division? Who do you tip to be in each of the new divisions 2A/2B/2C? Who do you tip for relegation? What players in 2A/2B do you think could comfortably step up to Division 1?
    No stopping Old Wesley in 2A and it seems unsurprisingly Emmet Farrell (together with Trevor Hogan and Tonnetti) are having a decent effect on Blackrock so would fancy Rock to fill the other slot. Surprised Barnhall not doing a little bit better but plenty of time to improve things I guess. Shannon look like they are in a spot of trouble which is a great shame. Think they may go down along with one of the northern teams

Highfield look in control of 2B and good to see Tullamore challenging - I don't think Greystones have enough depth to really challenge so I think Armagh are really the main challenge to the top 2 with my dark horse being Sundays Well. Very unfair on the top 2 clubs that they don't actually get promoted in my opinion. 2 or 3 of the 11- 16 slots still very much for grabs. Surprised Wanderers are not doing a bit better considering how much they are rumoured to have spent but would back them to maintain their 2A presence. Naas look to have steadied the ship but again don't think there is much depth to their squad so depending on injuries they might get into trouble.

Players wise there are plenty of young guys in Rock (Sean Coughlan is one guy for example) who are worth keeping an eye on.[/QUOTE]Agree about Wesley. They've a strong squad many who've been with Wesley for years, came through Wesley College as well as quite a few excellent signings from Tipperary, Limerick clubs who moved to Dublin for work.

Was speaking to Trevor in recent weeks. He's not involved with the Blackrock 1st team. Just their 20s. Isnt having that much, if any, influence on their firsts.
    Assume you mean Wanderers maintain their 2B status? As in they wont be in 2C next season
    Cant see Sundays Well being as far up the table as the top 2. Too much experience of playing against them in AIL and don't think theyre good enough for that
    Is there? Which of the Blackrock AIL side were playing schools in 2013

Players wise there are plenty of young guys in Rock (Sean Coughlan is one guy for example) who are worth keeping an eye on.
    Agree about Wesley. They've a strong squad many who've been with Wesley for years, came through Wesley College as well as quite a few excellent signings from Tipperary, Limerick clubs who moved to Dublin for work.

Was speaking to Trevor in recent weeks. He's not involved with the Blackrock 1st team. Just their 20s. Isnt having that much, if any, influence on their firsts.
    Assume you mean Wanderers maintain their 2B status? As in they wont be in 2C next season
    Cant see Sundays Well being as far up the table as the top 2. Too much experience of playing against them in AIL and don't think theyre good enough for that
    Is there? Which of the Blackrock AIL side were playing schools in 2013[/QUOTE]

Sean Coughlan, Peter Quirke, Gary Fenn, Tom Cooke. Steve Lawton was training with the team until getting injured early on. another John Burke has got some gametime and was in their year I think but didn't play cup rugby.

Charlie Rock, Garry Ringrose, Raef Tyrell and Dave Fortune have all seen AIL gametime actually at other clubs too.
    Oliver Jager is in the Canterbury Crusaders academy in NZ. That '13 side had a heavy 5th year base but the 6th years were/are decent players

Munster Senior Cup final scheduled for tomorrow is off
    Such a shame this competition and many others have lost their prestige over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Munster Senior Cup final scheduled for tomorrow is off
    Such a shame this competition and many others have lost their prestige over the years

Senior cup is off due to a bereavement I believe ...

Only Division 1A/B games this weekend and there was some games in 1A tonight
    Lansdowne 21 Belvedere 20
    Clontarf 44 Marys 15

Tomorrow in 1A Terenure v Cork Con, Dolphin v Young Munster and UCD v Ballynahinch

In 1B tomorrows games see Trinity travel to Limerick to play Bohs, Ballymena play Belfast Harlequins, Galwegians play Shannon, Garryowen play Buccaneers and Malone play Corinthians

1A
    Friday
    Clontarf 44 St Marys 15
    Lansdowne 21 Old Belvedere 20
    Today
    Terenure 7 Cork Con 21
    Dolphin 12 Young Munster 11
    UCD 31 Ballynahinch 24

1B
    Ballymena 17 Belfast Harlequins 13
    Galwegians 3 Shannon 18
    Garryowen 28 Buccaneers 20
    Malone 27 Corinthians 11
    UL Bohs 13 Trinity 32

Good wins for Shannon and Con. Another loss for Terenure.
    Big win for Trinity. Well worth the win. Bohemians supporters were disgraceful in their attitudes towards the referee. Excellent game. Bohemians not helped by getting man sent off for 2 yellows, both for same offence.

• Advertisement

I suppose when the long run of wins for Terenure came to an end, there was a danger of the wheels coming off for Terenure. Disappointing loss today though.

I suppose when the long run of wins for Terenure came to an end, there was a danger of the wheels coming off for Terenure. Disappointing loss today though.
    They have went up from Division 2A to 1B to 1A in successive seasons. They are simply struggling at a level they have reached in a very quick time.
    They've lost their last 3 games but they're still second. They've two of the sides In bottom half including Dolphin who are bottom and struggling in their next two game and should get wins in one or both of them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What did the Boh's fans do to the ref?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What did the Boh's fans do to the ref?
    Abuse from clowns behind the fence. Started off ok but as game went on the comments got worse and worse. Criticising everything referee did and started getting quite personal with comments on referee's accent amongst other things which I wont discuss here

They have went up from Division 2A to 1B to 1A in successive seasons. They are simply struggling at a level they have reached in a very quick time.
    They've lost their last 3 games but they're still second. They've two of the sides In bottom half including Dolphin who are bottom and struggling in their next two game and should get wins in one or both of them

Still a very tight league in 1A and the fight for top 4 playoff positions looks like it is really set to intensify. Great result by Dolphin who have fought hard in the last couple of games before this for no reward - I fancy them to take another couple of scalps yet. Marys seem to go from very solid to poor and really need another win soon. Clontarf and Con are timing their run pretty well and I only see them both getting stronger from this. UCD have to be the dark horses - The B&I shouldn't interfere as much as it has so far this season. Terenure will get back on track no doubt while Lansdowne look steady but not spectacular - They seem to be edging a lot of tight games. Belvo on the other hand seem to be having very little luck and losing a lot of tight games by very small margins. Can't understand how Young Munster aren't doing a bit better. Hinch have some real quality and I would expect them to challenge the top 4. All in all a pretty tight league and every team capable of beating the other teams in the league on their day. A lot twist and turns yet before we know our top 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement