Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Walsh is real good player. Wouldn't have got same recognition at times as perhaps his other Cashel team mates like the O Connor brothers, Ed Leamy did but real good operator.

What position is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stainalert wrote: »
    What position is he?
    2nd row

2nd row

Would you rate him ahead of Fergal Walsh?

Kyle McCoy (Terenure) has been very good for Terenure this season - Would expect him to feature in the final shake up. Stephen Gardiner has (Lansdowne) is also one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Sean Coughlan centre from Blackrock seems a strange one, plenty better in 1a & 1b that are ahead of him in my opinion. Glad for him but.... |Coach must be looking to recruit him:)

Some very good games this weekend hopefully all get played... Wegians and Buccs tonight should be very good game as will Skerries and Barnhall. UCD and Clontarf in 1A potentially a super game

1A
    2pm
    Lansdowne v Ballynahinch
    2.30pm
    Cork Con v St Marys College
    Old Belvedere v Young Munster
    Terenure v Dolphin
    UCD v Clontarf

1B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Galwegians v Buccaneers
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Ballymena v UL Bohs
    Garryowen v Belfast Harlequins
    Malone v Dublin University
    Shannon v Corinthians

2A
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Queens University v Dungannon
    Seapoint v Naas
    Skerries v NUIM Barnhall
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Blackrock College v Rainey OB
    Cashel v Thomond
    City of Derry v Bective Rangers
    Old Wesley v Nenagh Ormond
    UCC v Banbridge

2B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Bruff v Old Crescent
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    De La Salle Palmerston v Armagh
    Midleton v Highfield
    Richmond v Boyne
    Sligo P - P Navan off due to a bereavement
    Tullamore v Greystones
    Wanderers v Ards

• Advertisement

Some very good games this weekend hopefully all get played... Wegians and Buccs tonight should be very good game as will Skerries and Barnhall. UCD and Clontarf in 1A potentially a super game

1A
    2pm
    Lansdowne v Ballynahinch
    2.30pm
    Terenure v Dolphin
    UCD v Clontarf

1B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Galwegians v Buccaneers
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Ballymena v UL Bohs
    Shannon v Corinthians

2A
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Seapoint v Naas
    Skerries v NUIM Barnhall
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Cashel v Thomond
    UCC v Banbridge

2B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Bruff v Old Crescent
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Midleton v Highfield
    Richmond v Boyne
    Tullamore v Greystones
    Wanderers v Ards

Any predictions Lost Sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

1A
    2pm
    Lansdowne v Ballynahinch
    2.30pm
    Terenure v Dolphin
    UCD v Clontarf

1B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Galwegians v Buccaneers
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Ballymena v UL Bohs
    Shannon v Corinthians

2A
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Seapoint v Naas
    Skerries v NUIM Barnhall
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Cashel v Thomond
    UCC v Banbridge

2B
    Tonight 7.30pm
    Bruff v Old Crescent
    Tomorrow 2.30pm
    Midleton v Highfield
    Richmond v Boyne
    Tullamore v Greystones
    Wanderers v Ards

Replay of metro cup but think UCD will be weaker with a few of their Irish 20s not available, think they are all being rested this week by Irish management so halfbacks will be an issue

Tonights results
    1B
    Galwegians 12 Buccaneers 6
    2A
    Queens 39 Dungannon 14
    Seapoint 3 Naas 14
    Skerries 32 Barnhall 8
    2B
    Bruff 5 Old Crescent 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimjam1

Skerries go from strength to strength with a huge win over Barnhall. It will be some achievement if they can finish out the rest of the season with strong results and gain promotion, seeing as they were being wrote off at the start of the season.

Jimjam1 wrote: »
    Skerries go from strength to strength with a huge win over Barnhall. It will be some achievement if they can finish out the rest of the season with strong results and gain promotion, seeing as they were being wrote off at the start of the season.
    Will they get promotion? Wesley have sewn up one of the two spots. Do you really see Skerries getting the other? Theyre a good side and done lot better than I thought they would

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Skerries cliinical last night. the one try conceded was from a turover on the opposition line. Lot of bodies are back now with only 2 injuries and in last few seasons have finished strongly in second half of year.
    Rainey Nenagh and Cashel away still are v tough but teams will beat each other. Promotion would be a huge achievment consiering a junior club 3 years ago. Kevin Mcgrath in the Club squad is a regognition of the team as well as his performances in the last three years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Rock won again, as did Queens I think. Will be very close between them and maybe Barnhall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

How many are promoted and relegated?

durkadurka wrote: »
    How many are promoted and relegated?
    What division are you referring to?
    10 sides in 1A: Bottom relegated to 1B, 2nd bottom playoff versus second in 1B
    10 in 1B. Top promoted to 1A, 2nd plays off versus 2nd bottom 1A. Bottom and second bottom drop to 2A.
    That's the easy bit
    16 in 2A. Top 2 sides promoted to 1B. 3-10th and 2 sides dropping from 1B form the new 2A.
    11-16 in 2A and top 4 in 2B form the new 2B division. 5-13 guaranteed to be in the new 2C division. 14th place in 2B plays off against the winner of the round robin of the junior leagues in each of the provinces and 15th and 16th in 2B are relegated to junior rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

What division are you referring to?
    10 sides in 1A: Bottom relegated to 1B, 2nd bottom playoff versus second in 1B
    10 in 1B. Top promoted to 1A, 2nd plays off versus 2nd bottom 1A. Bottom and second bottom drop to 2A.
    That's the easy bit
    16 in 2A. Top 2 sides promoted to 1B. 3-10th and 2 sides dropping from 1B form the new 2A.
    11-16 in 2A and top 4 in 2B form the new 2B division. 5-13 guaranteed to be in the new 2C division. 14th place in 2B plays off against the winner of the round robin of the junior leagues in each of the provinces and 15th and 16th in 2B are relegated to junior rugby

This is probably a really stupid question. I see 2A is a big division (16 teams I think). I presume they don't play each other home and away. Is there a draw for the home/away matches?

vienne86 wrote: »
    This is probably a really stupid question. I see 2A is a big division (16 teams I think). I presume they don't play each other home and away. Is there a draw for the home/away matches?
    Of course they don't play home and away. It would be impossible to. That would be 30 games... No there isn't a draw for home and away games. IRFU set fixtures and then clubs play opposite fixture the following season. From next season every division will have 10 teams so clubs will play more games(18 from 15) but have both more home and away games

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Will they get promotion? Wesley have sewn up one of the two spots. Do you really see Skerries getting the other? Theyre a good side and done lot better than I thought they would

They are a very impressive side but just can't see them getting promoted this season

3 very tough away games where they will more then likely need a try bonus along with the 4 points.

But look, it will be very close between them and 'Rock (maybe Queens)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

vienne86 wrote: »
    Of course they don't play home and away.

How ridiculous off you to ask such a silly question...:rolleyes:

That's a very good result for Clontarf - will do their confidence a lot of good after their Lansdowne game. D'arcy is in a rich vein of form

madlad88 wrote: »
    They are a very impressive side but just can't see them getting promoted this season

3 very tough away games where they will more then likely need a try bonus along with the 4 points.

But look, it will be very close between them and 'Rock (maybe Queens)
    Was talking to an AIL referee today, was TJ for a junior game, and he has refereed a lot at AIL and doesnt think Blackrock will go up and neither will Skerries.
    Hard to say who goes up w/ Wesley
    Quint2010 wrote: »
    Ah come on Quint. It was ridiculous to think a club side plays 30 AIL games a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Was talking to an AIL referee today, was TJ for a junior game, and he has refereed a lot at AIL and doesnt think Blackrock will go up and neither will Skerries.
    Ah come on Quint. It was ridiculous to think a club side plays 30 AIL games a season.

The point is the question was asked in good faith by a poster who probably isn't as clued in as you are about the AIL. There was no need to be so condescending in your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

I'd be interested to know on what basis Rock or Skerries wont go up. They are 2 of the top 3 and the others aren't showing signs of ousting them.

Rock pushed Old Wes hard for 60+ mins (lead the game for most of it) before succumbing to a much more physical pack. No shame in that. Much of a muchness in terms of their run ins now.

NUIM are depending on results going there way really.

I think the 2nd place spot will hinge on the weekend of the 7th of March. In particular, the Rock QUB game. If Rock win, its theirs for the taking. If Rock lose and Skerries beat Nenagh away, its Skerries to lose. Simples.

A lot will depend on Rock's thin-ish squad staying fit. Owen Cullen back fit is huge.

GavMan wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know on what basis Rock or Skerries wont go up. They are 2 of the top 3 and the others aren't showing signs of ousting them.

Rock pushed Old Wes hard for 60+ mins (lead the game for most of it) before succumbing to a much more physical pack. No shame in that. Much of a muchness in terms of their run ins now.

I think the 2nd place spot will hinge on the weekend of the 7th of March. In particular, the Rock QUB game. If Rock win, its theirs for the taking. If Rock lose and Skerries beat Nenagh away, its Skerries to lose. Simples.

A lot will depend on Rock's thin-ish squad staying fit. Owen Cullen back fit is huge.

I'm backing Rock to go up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Quint2010 wrote: »

Please don't backseat moderate.

And the OP said it was probably a silly question, no need to be so condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Yeah exact same thing with the Skerries sqaud i hear,

Staying injury free for the rest of the season and it may come down to the last game of the season for both teams.

Either way i think both teams have surpassed their expectations for the season of cementing their place in the league for next season's new 2A

Anyone hearing any news on the club international squad? - Hearing the team is picked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone hearing any news on the club international squad? - Hearing the team is picked

Doubt it'll be announced this early in the week, I'd say Wednesday or Thursday we'll hear.

Skerries have a small squad. Theyre a good side but have been very lucky with injuries etc and I don't think theyre good enough to go up to 1B.
    Wesley were lucky to get away with a win against Nenagh on Saturday and Nenagh will cause Blackrock, Skerries, Queens and Barnhall a lot of trouble and will play a big role in deciding who also goes up
    Squad will be just a reduction in numbers from this one no?
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33575.php

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33704.php#.VNCtgWezXGg

Club International team announced - Some really odd selections that don't really add up to anyone who has watched 1A rugby this season. A lot of Belvo and Garryowen guys involved in my opinion - Paul Cunningham Head Coach and current Belvo coach and ex Garryowen coach - Coincidence?

Daragh Lyons at 10 is not even playing 10 for Con at the moment. Slattery more suited as a flanker.

Only 10 players out of 23 are Leinster based despite the fact that Leinster clubs are again dominating 1A for the 4th year in a row

I would think there are a lot of disappointed players out there with good reason.

• Advertisement

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33704.php#.VNCtgWezXGg

Club International team announced - Some really odd selections that don't really add up to anyone who has watched 1A rugby this season. A lot of Belvo and Garryowen guys involved in my opinion - Paul Cunningham Head Coach and current Belvo coach and ex Garryowen coach - Coincidence?

Daragh Lyons at 10 is not even playing 10 for Con at the moment. Slattery more suited as a flanker.

Only 10 players out of 23 are Leinster based despite the fact that Leinster clubs are again dominating 1A for the 4th year in a row

I would think there are a lot of disappointed players out there with good reason.
    Yes the coaches could be picking who they know but all clubs, no matter what division they play in, can nominate players to be looked at. How do you know specific players weren't nominated or were interested in playing in these games? Who would you have picked? Who do you think shouldn't be there?
    Leinster players have the most players involved - 12 not 10. There is no issue there.

Yes the coaches could be picking who they know but all clubs, no matter what division they play in, can nominate players to be looked at. How do you know specific players weren't nominated or were interested in playing in these games? Who would you have picked? Who do you think shouldn't be there?
    Leinster players have the most players involved - 12 not 10. There is no issue there.

You do not have to be nominated by your club to be selected. The selectors are supposed to scout the league and the nominations are only as a suggested watch list. I have a very good idea of a number of players who were interested but not selected. Harry Moore (Top AIL Try Scorer), Mark O'Neill (both Terenure); Joe McSwiney, Tyrone Moran (last years starting hooker), Scott Deasy (all Lansdowne); David Joyce, Ian Hirst, Royce Burke Flynn (Clontarf) not to mention plenty of Trinity players

Lyons certainly shouldn't be selected at 10 - Con don't even pick him there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

David Joyce being dropped from the squad altogether, considering he's had a great season, is a strange call. Particularly when Lyons was chosen at 10 to start, who doesn't play at 10 for CC, and they don't have an actual 10 on the bench?

Delighted for D'arcy, off the back of his hat trick too. Only Tarf man in there though?

You do not have to be nominated by your club to be selected. The selectors are supposed to scout the league and the nominations are only as a suggested watch list. I have a very good idea of a number of players who were interested but not selected. Harry Moore (Top AIL Try Scorer), Mark O'Neill (both Terenure); Joe McSwiney, Tyrone Moran (last years starting hooker), Scott Deasy (all Lansdowne); David Joyce, Ian Hirst, Royce Burke Flynn (Clontarf) not to mention plenty of Trinity players

Lyons certainly shouldn't be selected at 10 - Con don't even pick him there
    I know you don't have to be but most are. The coaches who select the squad are also club coaches are they not? Difficult for them to be observing other games and players in other games when at their own clubs games.
    .ak wrote: »
    Delighted for D'arcy, off the back of his hat trick too. Only Tarf man in there though?
    So? Its a two way interest and the process for being selected is quite open and who else from tarf should be in the squad?

I know you don't have to be but most are. The coaches who select the squad are also club coaches are they not? Difficult for them to be observing other games and players in other games when at their own clubs games.
    So? Its a two way interest and the process for being selected is quite open and who else from tarf should be in the squad?

You are defending a rule which doesn't exist and in any event the coaches are also aided by selectors - There is no rule or excuse for not looking beyond nominated players. Apart from anything else the nominations list is requested in October so by the time selection is made it is quite out of date and does not take account of form players.

• Advertisement

You are defending a rule which doesn't exist and in any event the coaches are also aided by selectors - There is no rule or excuse for not looking beyond nominated players. Apart from anything else the nominations list is requested in October so by the time selection is made it is quite out of date and does not take account of form players.
    No im simply stating a significant proportion of players picked will have been nominated by their clubs which implies their interest in actually playing and training for thee games. I have never stated that the coaches just look at those players nominated by their clubs but that the coaches will look at those more as they've shown interest in playing. This side isn't simply about form and isn't a squad of the best club players

No im simply stating a significant proportion of players picked will have been nominated by their clubs which implies their interest in actually playing and training for thee games. I have never stated that the coaches just look at those players nominated by their clubs but that the coaches will look at those more as they've shown interest in playing. This side isn't simply about form and isn't a squad of the best club players

Club nominations and players interest are completely separate. This squad should be about picking the best players available (and interested) and in my opinion this has not been achieved as outlined in earlier post.

Joyce and Rolls. Anyway with such a group of players I thought more would be involved.

Club nominations and players interest are completely separate. This squad should be about picking the best players available (and interested) and in my opinion this has not been achieved as outlined in earlier post.
    Club nominations and player interest are very mmuch interlinked its the same at all grades of representative ball. Ive seen it at age grade where club nominations/player interest both have differed and this squad due to how its formed, not really any proper process just open trials in middle of season you will never see the best squad picked.
    Joyce and Rolls. Anyway with such a group of players I thought more would be involved.
    Both were involved in training squad though so were most certainly considered..

Club nominations and player interest are very mmuch interlinked its the same at all grades of representative ball. Ive seen it at age grade where club nominations/player interest both have differed and this squad due to how its formed, not really any proper process just open trials in middle of season you will never see the best squad picked.

Both were involved in training squad though so were most certainly considered..

They're not linked - players aren't privvy to whether they have been nominated or not. So lost sheep rather in dealing with pedantic definitions which is getting beyond painful have you any opinions on the merit of the squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Fairly certain Joyce cant play due to work/exam committments.

Would certainly have RBF in there ahead of Lavery who is a very average tight head.

The fact that Paul Cunningham has selected 4 Belvo to start along with 3 from former club Garryowen is no coincidence but that's what you get with this squad, it's the way it has been for years.

IMO only half the squad is picked on form, the rest is picked based on the coaches favourites and based on the player's involvement in prior years regardless of form.

They're not linked - players aren't privvy to whether they have been nominated or not. So lost sheep rather in dealing with pedantic definitions which is getting beyond painful have you any opinions on the merit of the squad?
    They most certainly are linked

The squad is fine. Don't see anything wrong with those selected. The teams doing well in division 1A are all represented so form has been considered

The squad is fine. Don't see anything wrong with those selected. The teams doing well in division 1A are all represented so form has been considered

How?

You couldn't argue that Belvo are doing well, having lost 5 matches in a row before the team was named, yet have 4 players starting?

Also, no place for any Galwegians players who are top of 1b?

I expect Skerries/Cashel players to have to make a big step up in pace and intensity from 2A to have an impact on this squad.

SA09 wrote: »
    You couldn't argue that Belvo are doing well, having lost 5 matches in a row before the team was named, yet have 4 players starting?

Also, no place for any Galwegians players who are top of 1b?

I expect Skerries/Cashel players to have to make a big step up in pace and intensity from 2A to have an impact on this squad.
    The step up for those currently in 2A wont be too much. There is plenty of players playing 2A/2B more than capable of stepping up to play 1A/B immediately and those selected from Skerries/Cashel were clearly thought of being more than capable of stepping up when they were going through the selection process.
    How do we know some/any Wegians players looked to play/try make the squad??

The step up for those currently in 2A wont be too much. There is plenty of players playing 2A/2B more than capable of stepping up to play 1A/B immediately and those selected from Skerries/Cashel were clearly thought of being more than capable of stepping up when they were going through the selection process.

I heard all the Galwegians players wrote to the IRFU and canvassed their coaches not to be involved. :) It is purely their fault they were not selected!

I didn't say they weren't capable of making the step up, simply noted that they will need to step up from 2a standard in order to have an impact at this level which is naturally a higher standard of rugby played at a faster pace and intensity than they're used to. I've never seen either of these players playing so can comment on whether theyre good enough or not.

Out of 32 players selected to train, i would have expected some representation from Galwegians seeing as they are topping 1B.

I would assume that any players selected to train with Ireland would jump at the opportunity and would only cry off with a valid reason, I dont really understand your comment re wegians players "looking to play". It's not a matter of throwing together whatever group of lads they can that are looking for a game

I didn't say they weren't capable of making the step up, simply noted that they will need to step up from 2a standard in order to have an impact at this level which is naturally a higher standard of rugby played at a faster pace and intensity than they're used to. I've never seen either of these players playing so can comment on whether theyre good enough or not.

Out of 32 players selected to train, i would have expected some representation from Galwegians seeing as they are topping 1B.

I would assume that any players selected to train with Ireland would jump at the opportunity and would only cry off with a valid reason, I dont really understand your comment re wegians players "looking to play". It's not a matter of throwing together whatever group of lads they can that are looking for a game
    Simply doing well in your league doesn't imply you should have players involved in this team considering how the team is selected/in middle of club season etc
    By looking to play I meant we don't even know if any Galwegians players looked to get involved in the process of even trying to make the squad. Players can get nominated by their clubs to be involved.

Simply doing well in your league doesn't imply you should have players involved in this team considering how the team is selected/in middle of club season etc
    By looking to play I meant we don't even know if any Galwegians players looked to get involved in the process of even trying to make the squad. Players can get nominated by their clubs to be involved.

I think doing well in your league is a good indication of how well your players are playing and so the teams that are doing well should command a bigger amount of players. This isn't a blankte rule of course, there is always outstanding players at clubs that are not doing well or are in lower leagues.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the nomination process. These nominations are used as a guideline. Because you're nominated doesnt mean you will be considered for selection and if you're not nominated it doesn't mean you won't be considered.

As I said in an earlier post, regardless of form, certain players are picked year on year due to their experience at this level, etc, and the rest are on form. However some of this years squad seems to be picked because they are known to the coach rather than form or experience. This must be very annoying for those players who are genuinely standing out in their leagues, e.g. 1A top try scorer - Harry Moore (Terenure) who didnt even make the training squad.

I think doing well in your league is a good indication of how well your players are playing and so the teams that are doing well should command a bigger amount of players. This isn't a blankte rule of course, there is always outstanding players at clubs that are not doing well or are in lower leagues.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the nomination process. These nominations are used as a guideline. Because you're nominated doesnt mean you will be considered for selection and if you're not nominated it doesn't mean you won't be considered.

As I said in an earlier post, regardless of form, certain players are picked year on year due to their experience at this level, etc, and the rest are on form. However some of this years squad seems to be picked because they are known to the coach rather than form or experience. This must be very annoying for those players who are genuinely standing out in their leagues, e.g. 1A top try scorer - Harry Moore (Terenure) who didnt even make the training squad.
    Im not putting too much of an emphasis on the nomination process simply stating that those nominated will clearly have an interest and its much easier for coaches to pick them.
    You and others are making big assumptions there about coach picking players they coach in their club which is unfair. The players from clubs where coaches are more likely to get 50/50 calls in their favour but a coach isn't going to deliberately pick several of their own guys especially if it may mean they could lose out on the coaching role for the following year potentially....

• Advertisement
Advertisement