Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Would that UCD result have been a bit of a shock? Considering the numbers they were missing to the Ireland 20s I would have thought Lansdowne would win.
    Was an upset for sure but not a schock, heard Lansdowne were missing a few as well and were also not at full strength, good win for UCD but always tight enough between these 2. In saying that UCD would I think be the best resourced club in the country serious talent there no matter who plays

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jimjam1

Looks like Old Wesley have Division 2A wrapped up, but Rock and Skerries are starting to break away from the others (5pt gap).

Blackrock College RFC v Nenagh Ormond
    Queens University v Blackrock College RFC
    Blackrock College RFC v Cashel RFC
    U.C.C. v Blackrock College RFC

Skerries v Dungannon
    Nenagh Ormond v Skerries
    Skerries v Queens University
    Cashel RFC v Skerries

Looking at the fixtures and its interesting to see. Not sure where my money would go just yet, but with just a point separating them. Skerries have to be looking for a BP win over Dungannon with a nice points haul. Went down to points difference for them last year, wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Jimjam1 wrote: »
    Looks like Old Wesley have Division 2A wrapped up, but Rock and Skerries are starting to break away from the others (5pt gap).

Skerries v Dungannon
    Nenagh Ormond v Skerries
    Cashel RFC v Skerries

Looking at the fixtures and its interesting to see. Not sure where my money would go just yet, but with just a point separating them. Skerries have to be looking for a BP win over Dungannon with a nice points haul. Went down to points difference for them last year, wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.

Next 2 weekends of results will be massive in deciding who gets promoted i feel.

Nenagh will be very tough for both Skerries and 'Rock. Skerries will especially find it hard going in Nenagh.

Depends what Queens team shows up as well for Rock and Skerries, whether Queens will have their Irish 20's available for selection or not will be key.

madlad88 wrote: »
    Next 2 weekends of results will be massive in deciding who gets promoted i feel.

Nenagh will be very tough for both Skerries and 'Rock. Skerries will especially find it hard going in Nenagh.

Depends what Queens team shows up as well for Rock and Skerries, whether Queens will have their Irish 20's available for selection or not will be key.

Very hard to pick who will finish 2nd between Blackrock & Skerries may go to last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Probably advantage to Rock currently with the tougher fixtures of Cashel and Nenagh at home but Queens away is a tough as mentioned depending on their 20's avaialbe. Skerries have them at end of March so you'd think the 20's will be back.
    series went on a run like this last year and pulled last minute bonus points out an a few occasions so it might stand to them but are missing a few more. Great to keep it interesting
    3 years skerries were a junior club so a lot of credit must go to current coach Chris Keane and previous coach John Murphy for putting this young team together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Improving weather conditions will suite Rock and Skerries. Both like to move the ball when they can. Should add an extra layer of interest.

You'd expect Skerries to get a 5 pointer this weekend. Not so much for Rock. A BP would indeed be a bonus. I've said before elsewhere, QUB and the Irish 20's will be king makers as such. I don't see them being available during the 6N, especially starters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Skerries v Dungannon
    Nenagh Ormond v Skerries
    Cashel RFC v Skerries

Hard to say who'll go up but I think it'll be Blackrock. Skerries do have Dungannon which should be 5 but the rest of their games are very very tricky and the two trips to Tipperary will be very tricky

Agree there.
    GavMan wrote: »
    Improving weather conditions will suite Rock and Skerries. Both like to move the ball when they can. Should add an extra layer of interest.

You'd expect Skerries to get a 5 pointer this weekend. Not so much for Rock. A BP would indeed be a bonus. I've said before elsewhere, QUB and the Irish 20's will be king makers as such. I don't see them being available during the 6N, especially starters
    Nenagh move the ball a lot as well when they can as do Cashel. Don't think Blackrock will be near getting a bonuss point against Nenagh if Nenagh play anything like they did against Wesley. They lost by 2 up in Donnybrook and by all accounts could even possibly have snuck a win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I haven't seen anything of Skerries outside of their loss to Rock where Rock picked up 5 points.
    Will be exciting to the end.

I haven't seen anything of Skerries outside of their loss to Rock where Rock picked up 5 points.
    Will be exciting to the end.

By all accounts, Skerries were (apparently!) missing 8 of their starting squad from last season for the 1st two league games.

Skerries and Rock' played each other in a challenge game just after Xmas with near enough to both their starting squads with Skerries winning margingly in a cracking contest (apparently).

So it seems there two very even teams and it might go right down to the wire.
    Fantastic to see considering Blackrock were just relegated last season and people were tipping them for another straight relegation especially after getting hammered in their first league game.

While its good to see Skerries making strides again in Senior rugby considering they were a junior club not too long ago.

I heard a rumour (I wasn't at the game myself) that David a Moore played for Rock on the wing against Bective. Can anyone confirm this? He would be a superb addition for them

• Advertisement

I heard a rumour (I wasn't at the game myself) that David a Moore played for Rock on the wing against Bective. Can anyone confirm this? He would be a superb addition for them

That is true. Benched the other week against Rainey Old Boys too.

Not too sure where he's been all season as I had heard last summer he'd resigned for the club (after a stint with Belvo while contracted to Connacht).

Perhaps he was getting over some injuries that he had been carrying while he was a pro.

Ulster Bank League: Division 2A Previews from IrishRugby.ie

Bective (15th) v Naas (10th), Donnybrook, 12:30
    The Ireland Legends play England Legends in Donnybrook on Saturday night but this could be an early curtain raiser if you want to spend your day in Bective - and why not?

The clubs placed 11th to 16th will form Division 2B next season alongside the top four in the current 2B.

That gives Naas in particular a real incentive on Saturday.

Blackrock (2nd) v Nenagh (9th), Stradbrook
    Trailing the league leaders by 14 points is less of a worry than having four clubs behind you within six points. Every point matters now for 'Rock.

Nenagh Ormond, like Naas, are in one of the awkward mid table slots and need a win to boost their 2A survival chances.

On form you'd have to back the hosts to take the points, but can they maintain their slender lead over Skerries et al?

City of Derry (12th) v Queens (5th), Judge's Road
    An Ulster derby this weekend and plenty to chase for both sides. A home win will keep City of Derry in the hunt to stay in 2A.

Queen's still have a shot at 2nd place, albeit their draw last week didn't help them.

Form favours the visitors but you never know when two Ulster sides clash.

NUIM Barnhall (7th) v Thomond (8th), Parsonstown
    Plenty at stake in this mid-table clash in Leixlip on Saturday afternoon.

The home side were beaten by league leaders Old Wesley last weekend - no disgrace in that - but that was their second defeat in as many games.

Thomond have also lost their last two games to UCC and Cashel. All to play for.

Rainey Old Boys (13th) v Banbridge (4th), Hatrick Park
    Another all Ulster clash and no less than the game in Judge's Road, there is plenty at stake for both sides.

A win for Rainey would keep them in the hunt to stay in Division 2A as they need a top ten slot to do so.

Banbridge are well in the race for promotion and a win keeps them right in it.

Seapoint (14th) v Cashel (6th), Kilbogget Park
    Seapoint seem destined for Division 2B next season; last week's loss to Banbridge was their ninth.

Cashel are not only well placed to survive but also to push for second place.

Skerries (3rd) v Dungannon (16th), Holmpatrick
    Skerries are just a point behind 2nd place Blackrock and they will be pushing hard this weekend.

They can't take a win for granted but on paper and form they are firm favourites to take the points at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Some peachy tries from UCD in the landsdowne clash.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152812137104107

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Hard to say who'll go up but I think it'll be Blackrock. Skerries do have Dungannon which should be 5 but the rest of their games are very very tricky and the two trips to Tipperary will be very tricky
    Agree there.

Nenagh move the ball a lot as well when they can as do Cashel. Don't think Blackrock will be near getting a bonuss point against Nenagh if Nenagh play anything like they did against Wesley. They lost by 2 up in Donnybrook and by all accounts could even possibly have snuck a win

And while everyone is looking there Banbridge will sneak in :)

$ausage$ wrote: »
    And while everyone is looking there Banbridge will sneak in :)
    I know they have Rainey and Bective to play but they also have Wesley on the final day and do you see them picking up the five points they need to overhaul Skerries and six to overhaul Blackrock to finish ahead of both of them?

I know they have Rainey and Bective to play but they also have Wesley on the final day and do you see them picking up the five points they need to overhaul Skerries and six to overhaul Blackrock to finish ahead of both of them?

A girl can dream :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dear Ulster
    Please oh please beat Scarlets and deny them a LBP
    Lots of love
    Connacht xoxox
    PS: I love you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

wprathead wrote: »
    Dear Ulster
    Lots of love
    Connacht xoxox

Haha, don't think they'll hear you here...

wprathead wrote: »
    Dear Ulster
    Lots of love
    Connacht xoxox
    wprathead i assume you meant this for the Ulster thread not AIL...:D

Plenty of games tonight and tomorrow that should be good games. Anyone going to a game over the weekend? Thoughts on games/game of the weekend?

• Advertisement

wprathead i assume you meant this for the Ulster thread not AIL...:D

Plenty of games tonight and tomorrow that should be good games. Anyone going to a game over the weekend? Thoughts on games/game of the weekend?

Blackrock Nenagh could have a major bearing on the outcome of the 2A table come saturday evening.

Fancy Nenagh to do some damage.

Blackrock Nenagh could have a major bearing on the outcome of the 2A table come saturday evening.

Fancy Nenagh to do some damage.
    Considering how they did against Wesley a few weeks ago and against Queens last time out Nenagh could do damage. Could be interesting.

Not sure about other places but I fear the weather would do its part in reducing the 4 try bonus points this weekend its supposed to be a nightmare!

Here are my 2A predictions
    And yes with my heart more than head

Bective (15th) v Naas (10th), Naas
    Blackrock (2nd) v Nenagh (9th), Nenagh
    City of Derry (12th) v Queens (5th), COD
    NUIM Barnhall (7th) v Thomond (8th), Thomand
    Rainey Old Boys (13th) v Banbridge (4th), Banbridge
    Seapoint (14th) v Cashel (6th), Cashel
    Skerries (3rd) v Dungannon (16th), Skerries

Tonights results
    1A
    Old Belvedere 13 Lansdowne 17, St Marys 21 Clontarf 17
    1B
    Galwegians 21 Corinthians 13, Garryowen 37 UL Bohs 14

That's a great win for Mary's, 21-3 up at half time didn't score in the second half but held on in the end to get a much needed win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    That's a great win for Mary's, 21-3 up at half time didn't score in the second half but held on in the end to get a much needed win!

Yep they are now only 4 points off a play-off spot - Some turn around

• Advertisement

Young Munster v Dolphin will be an interesting match today. A win for Munsters and Belvo are in the bottom 2. A win for Dolphin and it will be a pretty tight bottom 3 and a scrap till the bitter end for the 3 teams. A must win for Dolphin if they are to have a chance at staying up. Will be a tasty atmosphere today!

Young Munster with a bonus point win over Dolphin who are now near certainties for the drop bad weekend for them and also Belvo who slip in to the bottom end of the table.
    Good weekend for Munsters and Mary's as wins give them a great chance of staying up. Looks like Lansdowne (1st) still 8 points clear have clinched a home semi final with Terenure (2nd) and Clontarf (3rd)likely to join them in playoffs with one of Ballynahinch (4th), Cork Con (5th) and UCD (6th) fighting for fourth. Exciting few weeks ahead in 1a

Bonus points for Rock and Skerries today

Bonus points for Rock and Skerries today
    Met a few guys who refereed AIL games today. Rock won well but were helped by a not so great referee who gave them a lot. Huge number of penalties in the game and mainly in favour of Blackrock.
    2A bottom four will be in the new 2B and its only the last couple of positions to be decided

Queens have to be ruled out of any promotion chase after that hammering (City of Derry 43 - 0 Queens University). They may be missing some Ire U20's but that but that is a massive loss. Blackrock will find some comfort in this and the fact that Skerries now have to travel to Nenagh. Nenagh are down in the league,11th position, so a Skerries team who have struggled to get a result against the them in the past will find it difficult again.

The new league formats for next year have filled the league tables with miniature battles that will go all the way!

• Advertisement

Anyone know if Irishrugby.ie are going to produce any match reports for last round of AIL?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Stainalert wrote: »
    Anyone know if Irishrugby.ie are going to produce any match reports for last round of AIL?

They didnt produce any reports for the previous round either, not sure what is going on.

Also slightly confused with the Ulster Bank Young Player of the Month awards, there has only been 3 winners in 5/6 months.?

Can anyone confirm here what dates the 1A playoffs and final will take place?

SA09 wrote: »
    They didnt produce any reports for the previous round either, not sure what is going on.

Also slightly confused with the Ulster Bank Young Player of the Month awards, there has only been 3 winners in 5/6 months.?

Can anyone confirm here what dates the 1A playoffs and final will take place?

1A Semi finals April 25th and Final May 9th

Brief review for 1A and 1B are done every week.

For 2A and 2B match reports, you would have to surf through the various clubs websites and facebooks pages (however bias they may be)

Queens have to be ruled out of any promotion chase after that hammering (City of Derry 43 - 0 Queens University). They may be missing some Ire U20's but that but that is a massive loss. Blackrock will find some comfort in this and the fact that Skerries now have to travel to Nenagh. Nenagh are down in the league,11th position, so a Skerries team who have struggled to get a result against the them in the past will find it difficult again.

The new league formats for next year have filled the league tables with miniature battles that will go all the way!
    Wouldn't be so sure on Queens, exams etc could have been an issue. A good number of irish 20s have missed a lot of their AIL games this season
    Nenagh are down the table but have been conceding feck all and causing most teams a lot of trouble. Barely lost to Wesley a few weeks ago. Well beaten by Blackrock but reports say they came back from 22-3 down halftime to only lose 29-15 which is quite good considering the pressure they were under in first half.
    Later in week, Contact IRFU on social media and ask them directly?

Well the league table doesn't lie. Nenagh are second only to Old Wesley in points conceded, but the inability to put points on the board has cost them and are now struggling to remain in the new 2A next season.

The QUB Irish U20 players are all starters so they will not be playing this weekend either. That is a big advantage for Rock I would think.

I think Rock will go there and win and if Queens play like the must have done last week, you'd imagine a BP is on the cards.

Skerries have been living dangerously the last few weeks. A trip to Tipp might yield a win but not so sure about a BP. As is noted, Nenagh defence is quite stingey so they'll be smarting about that BP that Rock got. Wouldn't be surprised if they bounced back this week and upset Skerries....

Terenure v Marys

:)

Wouldn't be so sure on Queens, exams etc could have been an issue. A good number of irish 20s have missed a lot of their AIL games this season
    Nenagh are down the table but have been conceding feck all and causing most teams a lot of trouble. Barely lost to Wesley a few weeks ago. Well beaten by Blackrock but reports say they came back from 22-3 down halftime to only lose 29-15 which is quite good considering the pressure they were under in first half.

Later in week, Contact IRFU on social media and ask them directly?

Wednesday evening and no AIL reports yet - disappointing

Wednesday evening and no AIL reports yet - disappointing

2 weeks in a row as well!

• Advertisement

There was some video highlights on Against the Head the other evening.

There was some video highlights on Against the Head the other evening.

Great 10 second recap of 2 of the matches wasn't it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Very disappointed in the coverage levels across television, newspaper and online, especially with the addition of play offs again this season means that every team has something to play for in Division 1A and the change in the structure in division 2 means the same.

Any predictions for this weekend? Big game for Garryowen up in Ballymena, fancy them to get a win. Shannon v UL Bohs will be a dog fight, if Bohs lose this the are in big trouble.

Very disappointed in the coverage levels across television, newspaper and online, especially with the addition of play offs again this season means that every team has something to play for in Division 1A and the change in the structure in division 2 means the same.

Any predictions for this weekend? Big game for Garryowen up in Ballymena, fancy them to get a win. Shannon v UL Bohs will be a dog fight, if Bohs lose this the are in big trouble.
    What would you like to see done on tv? When and where would you show UBL? Against the Head isn't on that often and does show UBL when it is on.
    There is a lot to play for which is good for the league.
    Is Old Belvedere's 9 losing bonus points in 1A close to a record? 2nd bottom and have won 4, drawn 1 of 15 games yet have a positive points difference(albeit of 5 points)

What would you like to see done on tv? When and where would you show UBL? Against the Head isn't on that often and does show UBL when it is on.
    There is a lot to play for which is good for the league.
    Is Old Belvedere's 9 losing bonus points in 1A close to a record? 2nd bottom and have won 4, drawn 1 of 15 games yet have a positive points difference(albeit of 5 points)

Is there a merit to having ATH on every week? maybe a shorter show outside of the 6 Nations weekends but on weekly would be useful, in terms of what UBL it shows when on I would prefer to see a bit more, maybe a 5 to 10 minute slot dedicated to it?

That would be up to rte and whether they think they would get the viewership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Darmabum

SA09 wrote: »
    Terenure v Marys

:)

750 Sitting down for pre match lunch - going to be a long day!

Clontarf v Dolphin Clontarf
    Old Belvedere v Ballynahinch Old Belvedere
    Terenure v St Marys Terenure
    Lansdowne v Cork Con Lansdowne
    UCD v Young Munster UCD

UL Bohs v Shannon Bohs
    Ballymena v Garryowen Garryowen
    B. Harlequins v Corinthians Harlequins
    Dublin University v Buccaneers Buccaneers
    Malone v Galwegians Galwegians

Here is mine, couple of close ones such as Belvo v Hinch and 'Nure and Marys

Clontarf v Dolphin Clontarf
    Old Belvedere v Ballynahinch Ballynahinch
    Terenure v St Marys Terenure
    Lansdowne v Cork Con Lansdowne
    UCD v Young Munster UCD

UL Bohs v Shannon Shannon
    Ballymena v Garryowen Garryowen
    B. Harlequins v Corinthians Harlequins
    Dublin University v Buccaneers Dublin Uni
    Malone v Galwegians Galwegians

• Advertisement

Is there a merit to having ATH on every week? maybe a shorter show outside of the 6 Nations weekends but on weekly would be useful, in terms of what UBL it shows when on I would prefer to see a bit more, maybe a 5 to 10 minute slot dedicated to it?
    If RTE were still showing pro12 from next season and the programme was a general highlights/round up of all rugby. Clubs mens/womens, age grade etc. Club features, Skills shows then it would be great
    On one rugby programme a while ago they had a feature where they went round AIL teams doing a drop kick challenge where all senior players had to attempt a drop kick from the 22. If they included things like that as well as interviews, features it would be great

Not too many games In 2A that are huge in fight for places in next seasons 2A with Queens Blackrock probably the tie of the round in 2A while Sundays Well and Midleton in 2B tonight should be a super game

Advertisement