Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

A Soccer Am of Irish club rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Bridge93 wrote: »
    A Soccer Am of Irish club rugby

Sounds good

I think they're still missing a trick by not 'tendering' to a University to produce a roundup each week for the YouTube channel.

Would need to be Ultra low cost to have any legs, but also have some kind of production levels in order to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think they're still missing a trick by not 'tendering' to a University to produce a roundup each week for the YouTube channel.

Would need to be Ultra low cost to have any legs, but also have some kind of production levels in order to work.
    They are. Munster had LIT Video and Sound Department students doing their videos for several years and still could have them involved so it has been done for other projects before and it would be great to see for UBL and some other domestic rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Good win for shannon to night over bohs 26-14

• Advertisement

In 2B tonight Palmo beat Wanderers 17-6, Boyne beat Navan 25-12 and Well beat Midleton 11-10

Well up to third but if stones and Armagh win they go back to 5th.
    Huge wins for Palmo and Boyne as they both go above Richmond who're now in the automatic relegation spot that is still open - Ards already relegated. Richmond desperately need points as theyre points difference is considerably worse off when compared to their relegation rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

In 2B tonight Palmo beat Wanderers 17-6, Boyne beat Navan 25-12 and Well beat Midleton 11-10

Well up to third but if stones and Armagh win they go back to 5th.
    Huge wins for Palmo and Boyne as they both go above Richmond who're now in the automatic relegation spot that is still open - Ards already relegated. Richmond desperately need points as theyre points difference is considerably worse off when compared to their relegation rivals.

*Salmo

Thoughts on this?

Rob Murphy of knockon.ie tweeted this morning
    No team news from #ubl for rest of season, a number Division 1a and 1b clubs don't want them published before kick off

Ridiculous and does no good for promoting the league. Would love to know which clubs don't want teams published

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Thoughts on this?

No team news from #ubl for rest of season, a number Division 1a and 1b clubs don't want them published before kick off

Ridiculous and does no good for promoting the league. Would love to know which clubs don't want teams published

I can see absolutely no sense behind it. Don't see what significant advantage it gives them.

In 2A Rock have won up in Queens with a 28-26 score line after a late penalty. They were 26-10 down at halftime. skerries lost 31-5 in Nenagh

I can see absolutely no sense behind it. Don't see what significant advantage it gives them.

In 2A Rock have won up in Queens with a 28-26 score line after a late penalty. They were 26-10 down at halftime. skerries lost 31-5 in Nenagh
    2A is gone even more tight with Wesley losing to Naas 21-20

• Advertisement

Terenure 41 - 24 St. Marys final score

This weekends results
    1A
    Old Belvedere 40 Ballynahinch 14, Terenure 41 St Marys 24, Clontarf 22 Dolphin 24, Lansdowne 27 Cork Con 20, UCD 17 Young Munster 20
    1B
    Ballymena 5 Garryowen 17, UL Bohs 14 Shannon 26, Belfast Harlequins 27 Corinthians 17, Dublin University 53 Buccaneers 14, Malone 5 Galwegians 31
    2A
    Dungannon 8 NUIM Barnhall 20, Naas 21 Old Wesley 20, Banbridge 53 Bective 9, Cashel 25 City of Derry 3, Nenagh Ormond 31 Skerries 5, Queens University 26 Blackrock College 28, Thomond Rainey OB, UCC 34 Seapoint 13
    2B
    Old Crescent 29 Greystones 32, Richmond 6 Highfield 31, Tullamore 60 Ards 10, Bruff 31 Kanturk 12, Sundays Well 11 Midleton 10, Wanderers 6 De La Salle Palmerston 17, Navan 12 Boyne 25, Sligo 5 Armagh 27

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Belvo, Con, Tarf , a Dolphin are 4 of the teams in 1a I know who won't even give oppositions a team for their match day programmes

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Serious battle in 1a for 3rd and 4th play off spots and Dolphin fighting hard to get off the bottom has been a good tussle and teams playing hard till the end will probably go to the last day before every one bar the top 2 know where they will finish

Thoughts on this?

That is really disappointing - stems from very insecure coaches

Decision should be taken out of coaches hands

Con team published on limerickrugby.ie last week included Gerry Hurley even though he hasn't played in months - very disrespectful to supporters really . Understand that Old Belvedere have been sending bogus teams out also. IRFU should really step in.

Does anyone know who are the top try scorers in the various divisions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Hurley has played the last few games with cons. who do you fancy for 4 th in 1 a

Hurley has played the last few games with cons. who do you fancy for 4 th in 1 a

No he hasn't - didn't play last week against Terenure and didn't play this week against Lansdowne

I think Con will make the play-offs along with Clontarf

Stainalert wrote: »
    No he hasn't - didn't play last week against Terenure and didn't play this week against Lansdowne

I think Con will make the play-offs along with Clontarf

Was only going on the team sheets I saw online myself but i do know he played against YM a few weeks ago, he was the difference between the 2 sides, so it's not as you said months since he played...

Cons should make the play offs agreed, but it they lose against Clontarf they might hand it to another team.

Was only going on the team sheets I saw online myself but i do know he played against YM a few weeks ago, he was the difference between the 2 sides, so it's not as you said months since he played...

Cons should make the play offs agreed, but it they lose against Clontarf they might hand it to another team.

Fair enough - last couple of rounds of games are going to be very interesting

• Advertisement

That is really disappointing - stems from very insecure coaches

Decision should be taken out of coaches hands

Con team published on limerickrugby.ie last week included Gerry Hurley even though he hasn't played in months - very disrespectful to supporters really. Understand that Old Belvedere have been sending bogus teams out also. IRFU should really step in.
    what do you want IRFU to do?
    Does anyone know who are the top try scorers in the various divisions?
    Will assume somebody with Wesley and Highfield in 2A/2B respectively. Peter Martin or Paul Stack for Highfield have 6/7 at least.
    Johan Greyling for Wesley has 6 as does Mark Rowley and Darren Horan

Will assume somebody with Wesley and Highfield in 2A/2B respectively. Peter Martin or Paul Stack for Highfield have 6/7 at least.

IRFU should penalise clubs that fail to publish correct teams

How many have Stephen O'Neill and Harry Moore for Terenure? Think Tom Farrell of Lansdowne has 10

IRFU should penalise clubs that fail to publish correct teams

How many have Stephen O'Neill and Harry Moore for Terenure? Think Tom Farrell of Lansdowne has 10
    Penalise them with what sanction. Unless there is issues with the actual team list that a team gives to a match official what is listed in a programme isn't an issue

I haven't a clue how many tries they have. You can look them up if you want

Penalise them with what sanction. Unless there is issues with the actual team list that a team gives to a match official what is listed in a programme isn't an issue

I haven't a clue how many tries they have. You can look them up if you want

It is an issue - It annoys supporters no end. Teams should contribute to making the league a better product and more accessible - admittedly this is a small part of the jigsaw in the overall scheme of things but it all counts.

How can I look try scorers up?

It is an issue - It annoys supporters no end. Teams should contribute to making the league a better product and more accessible - admittedly this is a small part of the jigsaw in the overall scheme of things but it all counts.

How can I look try scorers up?
    If its an issue what do you want done about it. Should teams be penalised for not submitting teams to the media and if you think yes how should they be penalised. I totally see where you are coming and its annoying but what can you do about it.

Best bet for looking up try scorers is match reports on club websites etc. 1A/B will be easiest as there's a round up after most rounds and includes try scorers on IRFU site but Munster rugby do a round up of weekend action and include try scorers for various teams.

Who do people feel will win the Round Robin this year? Clonmel won the Munster Junior title today, Dundalk are Leinster champions while other provinces still have to be decided AFAIK. Only 1 team has shot at going up this season unlike previous seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Round robin could be an interesting one. Leainster teams have been strong in the last few years and if dundalk get thru they couuld end up with a tasty local derby against Boyne to go Senior

shaungil wrote: »
    Round robin could be an interesting one. Leainster teams have been strong in the last few years and if dundalk get thru they couuld end up with a tasty local derby against Boyne to go Senior
    A Leinster sides went up every year in the last 5(including season where all 4 junior league winners went up)
    Dundalk v Boyne if Dundalk went up would be real tasty.
    Hard to say who'll be favourites with Connacht and Ulster still technically to be decided. Instonians most likely to win Ulster title. There was a few issues with Connacht league over postponements etc I think but Connemara should win the league.

Fastest AIL try ever....
    http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/video-this-simply-has-to-be-the-fastest-try-in-the-history-of-the-ail/16681

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ha ha, some individual try.

What were the opposition up to, absolutely no effort made to tackle him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

phog wrote: »

Ards gave up on their season a number of months ago ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »

Ah, the first tackle is always the hardest. He absolutely caught them napping, usually a restart is an easy excuse for a soft, easy tackle. I think his footwork and speed is something else, they're defo trying to get to him.

1A Try Scorers

Harry Moore (Terenure) 10

Matt Darcy (Clontarf) 10

Tom Farrell (Lansdowne) 10

Stephen O'Neill (Terenure) ?

Not sure if this warrants a thread of its own but when does the draw for the Fraser McMullen trophy take place?

Think these are the qualifiers based on league standings but there could be a debate over 4th place as I think there maybe a decider with the 4th place side and the Div2 winners?

Leinster
    1. Terenure
    2. Dublin University
    3. Lansdowne
    4. UCD

Munster/Connacht
    1. Cork Con
    2. Young Munster
    3. NUIG Corinthians
    4. Bruff

Would presume the top 2 in each region would have home quarter finals?

1A Try Scorers

Harry Moore (Terenure) 10

Matt Darcy (Clontarf) 10

Tom Farrell (Lansdowne) 10

Stephen O'Neill (Terenure) ?

Stephen O'Neill is on 10 for season as well.

SA09 wrote: »
    Stephen O'Neill is on 10 for season as well.

Thanks thought he might be but wasn't sure

• Advertisement

Not sure if this warrants a thread of its own but when does the draw for the Fraser McMullen trophy take place?

Think these are the qualifiers based on league standings but there could be a debate over 4th place as I think there maybe a decider with the 4th place side and the Div2 winners?

Leinster
    1. Terenure
    2. Dublin University
    3. Lansdowne
    4. UCD

Munster/Connacht
    1. Cork Con
    2. Young Munster
    3. NUIG Corinthians
    4. Bruff

Would presume the top 2 in each region would have home quarter finals?
    You could probably put this into the Ireland under 20s thread. Better suited there....
    Con will be only side from the Munster-Connacht league to challenge. Terenure will be big favourites to win the all Ireland even with them losing a few players who are overage for the all Ireland league like all the Leinster sides

I thought it was good to see Against the Head give a decent chunk of time to UBL on their programme last night between highlights and discussion.

Granted it was because there was no 6 nations matches last weekend but it was good to see UBL getting the recognition it deserves. Hopefully it will continue going forward.

SA09 wrote: »
    I thought it was good to see Against the Head give a decent chunk of time to UBL on their programme last night between highlights and discussion.

Granted it was because there was no 6 nations matches last weekend but it was good to see UBL getting the recognition it deserves. Hopefully it will continue going forward.

Yea agree although didn't like the insinuation that the only reason for the recent Dublin club's success was money

Stephen O'Neill looks an excellent player as does Tom Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Just to go over a few things mentioned. Mainly about ulster clubs,
    Yes Ards have had a hard time and they will drop down and rebuild but I would not say they wont cause an upset somewhere.

Queens have had 3 majory injurys over the last 3 weeks and U20 hence COD result but shame they couldnt hold out against Blackrock.

Banbridge have a good chance to go 3rd with Naas and Old Wes their last two games so its in their hands and they are def the inform club with 8 on the trot.

Is it too early to start talking about recruitment? I see Andy Hughes Armagh coach stepping aside due to travelling commitments, big hole to fill in 2B

Yea agree although didn't like the insinuation that the only reason for the recent Dublin club's success was money

Havent seen the show but economic climate in Dublin being better than elsewhere is part of reason for some of the Dublin clubs successes. Look at number of former players from Nenagh, Crescent and other North Munster clubs who are playing key roles in Old Wesleys 2A success this season.
    $ausage$ wrote: »
    Just to go over a few things mentioned. Mainly about ulster clubs,
    Yes Ards have had a hard time and they will drop down and rebuild but I would not say they wont cause an upset somewhere.

Queens have had 3 majory injurys over the last 3 weeks and U20 hence COD result but shame they couldnt hold out against Blackrock.

Banbridge have a good chance to go 3rd with Naas and Old Wes their last two games so its in their hands and they are def the inform club with 8 on the trot.

Is it too early to start talking about recruitment? I see Andy Hughes Armagh coach stepping aside due to travelling commitments, big hole to fill in 2B
    Who do you see Ards upsetting?
    They've hard a hard time and do you see them coming back up soon? Whats their age grade teams/support/set up like? Queens are a uni side. There'll always be a result like that COD game every season...
    3rd in 2A ultimately means nothing in terms of promotion and do you see them beating Wesley?

Not too soon. Big hole to fill for Armagh. They've been in top third of bottom division since turning senior so will be interesting how they go next season...

• Advertisement

Yeah i think Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan are probably a bit bitter that the Limerick and Cork clubs have fallen so far behind.

I think the economy has had a lot to do with it but it also takes a lot of hard work from the clubs to actually recruit the players. Fair play to the Dublin clubs for getting their houses in order and adapting a lot quicker than elsewhere to the tough financial times over the last number of years. There are a number od exceptions to this however (Blackrock).

Havent seen the show but economic climate in Dublin being better than elsewhere is part of reason for some of the Dublin clubs successes. Look at number of former players from Nenagh, Crescent and other North Munster clubs who are playing key roles in Old Wesleys 2A success this season.

Don't think anyone would deny that but there are lots of other reasons as well which weren't mentioned in the show

Who do you see Ards upsetting?
    They've hard a hard time and do you see them coming back up soon? Whats their age grade teams/support/set up like? Queens are a uni side. There'll always be a result like that COD game every season...
    3rd in 2A ultimately means nothing in terms of promotion and do you see them beating Wesley?

Not too soon. Big hole to fill for Armagh. They've been in top third of bottom division since turning senior so will be interesting how they go next season...

Ards can upset any team on the day, when fit Pre Season showed us that.
    I dont see them bouncing straight backup they have a good youth section but I am not sure how their 18/20 are. I know that is a big issues in allot of clubs, for example At Harlequins they have more under age women's teams than men! recruitment is a list over 100 best players from Q1 and see who comes, they have a massive drop out before transfer window shuts. Its not a great way to run it but hey works for them.
    Yes UNI sides but nice that it happened to a fellow Ulster side :)
    3rd might mean nothing in the way of promotion etc but it still means they where better than x amount of other teams in that league and will attract new tallent and hopefully be a marker for them.
    I do think if they did go up now it could be a step too soon for a young side like them. Next year would be better if they can hold on to their players!

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Ards can upset any team on the day, when fit Pre Season showed us that.
    I dont see them bouncing straight backup they have a good youth section but I am not sure how their 18/20 are. I know that is a big issues in allot of clubs, for example At Harlequins they have more under age women's teams than men! recruitment is a list over 100 best players from Q1 and see who comes, they have a massive drop out before transfer window shuts. Its not a great way to run it but hey works for them.
    Yes UNI sides but nice that it happened to a fellow Ulster side :)
    3rd might mean nothing in the way of promotion etc but it still means they where better than x amount of other teams in that league and will attract new tallent and hopefully be a marker for them.
    I do think if they did go up now it could be a step too soon for a young side like them. Next year would be better if they can hold on to their players!
    I think you are being way too generous to Ards there $ausage$. Ards have conceded 200 points more than anyone else in 2B, scored considerably less than everyone else. "upset any team on the day" not really on evidence of past season or two.

Yes you could be correct I do have the red hand blinkers on :(

But could I see them coming back quickly prob not. At one stage I saw their physio take the field. Hopefully he is a better physio!

Looks like we're not getting match reports from Irishrugby.ie again this week - 3rd week running

Looks like we're not getting match reports from Irishrugby.ie again this week - 3rd week running
    Have you contacted the IRFU about it. Rob Murphy will likely cover a game on knockon if you request it or think a game is worth the coverage.
    They rely on clubs to send them info in as much as them getting the coverage themselves.

Have you contacted the IRFU about it. Rob Murphy will likely cover a game on knockon if you request it or think a game is worth the coverage.
    They rely on clubs to send them info in as much as them getting the coverage themselves.

Nope I would expect they up to their necks in international reports so am pretty sure they don't need to hear from me.

Nope I would expect they up to their necks in international reports so am pretty sure they don't need to hear from me.
    So you complain about the IRFU website admin not putting up anything on league yet wont contact them..

And there was a review of 1A/B up after last weekends games and there is now highlights of Lansdowne Con up. What more do you want?

So you complain about the IRFU website admin not putting up anything on league yet wont contact them..

And there was a review of 1A/B up after last weekends games and there is now highlights of Lansdowne Con up. What more do you want?

Match reports Lost Sheep - Thought that was clear - You're well in with the IRFU so why don't you pop them a mail

• Advertisement
Advertisement