Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Stainalert wrote: »
    Match reports Lost Sheep - Thought that was clear - You're well in with the IRFU so why don't you pop them a mail
    :pac:
    If you want match reports go to games write them yourself. There is match reports of all games in newspapers across the country, clubs have reports on their own websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

If you want match reports go to games write them yourself. There is match reports of all games in newspapers across the country, clubs have reports on their own websites.

You're right - It is my fault there are no match reports. Sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Before 3 weeks ago, there was a summary of 1A and 1B on the Saturday eve immediately after matches. Then on Mondays/Tuesdays, there were match reports for specifc 1A and 1B matches put up..

These individual match reports have just stopped all of a sudden and Stainalert is perfectly entitled to feel aggravated by this! As am I!

Without having to go through each clubs website a lot of which do not publish match reports, or any that do publish reports are usually very biased. I would appreciate if IRFU brought back the match reports that were there every week until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It would be nice if they published a list of the contracted players who played in the UBL on a weekend. I've no interest in the league but I'd be interested in keeping tabs on players who aren't playing for their province but are fit.

Mostly academy players involved - Not many full timers get released by provinces anymore which is a shame. Matt O'Connor in particular does not like to release players around this time of the year - I imagine because he is missing so many to national duty himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

SA09 wrote: »
    Yeah i think Frankie Sheahan and Alan Quinlan are probably a bit bitter that the Limerick and Cork clubs have fallen so far behind.

I think the economy has had a lot to do with it but it also takes a lot of hard work from the clubs to actually recruit the players. Fair play to the Dublin clubs for getting their houses in order and adapting a lot quicker than elsewhere to the tough financial times over the last number of years. There are a number od exceptions to this however (Blackrock).

Not quite sure what you're getting at here RE: Blackrock.

Blackrock have turned modest profits the last number of seasons, are clearing down debt (very slowly) and have undertook and completed big infrastructure projects this season (lights and a very impressive Gym).

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story you heard at a bar somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Will be interesting to see what having Cabinteely FC playing at Stradbrook will do for the club. I would imagine financially it will be a big boost and facility wise too.

GavMan wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you're getting at here RE: Blackrock.

Blackrock have turned modest profits the last number of seasons, are clearing down debt (very slowly) and have undertook and completed big infrastructure projects this season (lights and a very impressive Gym).

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story you heard at a bar somewhere...

What i meant was that Blackrock are an example of a club who did not manage themselves very well in the past. It is evident that they are beginning to turn that around but it is quite obvious that they were a mismanaged club for a long time and are currently paying the price for that with the large debt they find themselves in

What i meant was that Blackrock are an example of a club who did not manage themselves very well in the past. It is evident that they are beginning to turn that around but it is quite obvious that they were a mismanaged club for a long time and are currently paying the price for that with the large debt they find themselves in

No arguments there...

• Advertisement

Before 3 weeks ago, there was a summary of 1A and 1B on the Saturday eve immediately after matches. Then on Mondays/Tuesdays, there were match reports for specifc 1A and 1B matches put up..

These individual match reports have just stopped all of a sudden and Stainalert is perfectly entitled to feel aggravated by this! As am I!

Without having to go through each clubs website a lot of which do not publish match reports, or any that do publish reports are usually very biased. I would appreciate if IRFU brought back the match reports that were there every week until recently.
    The 6 Nations is In full flow. This is probably the busiest time of the season so other things will be prioritised. Majority of clubs have match reports on their websites. Local papers have games. You want to read a match report you can find one if you look
    It would be nice if they published a list of the contracted players who played in the UBL on a weekend. I've no interest in the league but I'd be interested in keeping tabs on players who aren't playing for their province but are fit.
    I don't see it happening and don't see a need for it. To be fair most reports on Munster, IRFU sites do mention those contracted players who are involved.

The 6 Nations is In full flow. This is probably the busiest time of the season so other things will be prioritised. Majority of clubs have match reports on their websites. Local papers have games. You want to read a match report you can find one if you look QUOTE]

Completely understand that the 6 nations is probably taking up all the time. I was just outlining the reasons behind the frustrations of having no match reports. It's not as if we are being unreasonable to expect match reports every wekk when we have been getting them all along.

As I explained in a previous post, club reports are generally biased therefore they don't hold much merit.

Surely IRFU have the resources to write up match reports for the league they allegedly believe is so important!

Completely understand that the 6 nations is probably taking up all the time. I was just outlining the reasons behind the frustrations of having no match reports. It's not as if we are being unreasonable to expect match reports every wekk when we have been getting them all along.

As I explained in a previous post, club reports are generally biased therefore they don't hold much merit.

Surely IRFU have the resources to write up match reports for the league they allegedly believe is so important!
    If you want games to get covered write a blog on the league. Ask Rob Murphy from knockon to cover games. He covers junior and AIL games and will go to games that he's asked to go to. I understand where you are coming from about club reports, I write them at times!, but theyre better than nothing.

Who do people feel will win the Round Robin this year? Clonmel won the Munster Junior title today, Dundalk are Leinster champions while other provinces still have to be decided AFAIK. Only 1 team has shot at going up this season unlike previous seasons.
    Instonians won the Ulster league tonight.
    Connemara to play Ballina on Paddys Day. If they win they win the league but if they lose Monivea could get the title

Fixtures for Round Robin made. Instonians and Connacht champions get luck of the draw and get two home games
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34099

Connemara won today so qualify for round robin. Fixtures are on above link.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Heard a rumour Dungannon have asked to drop to Junior but have been told they cant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

$ausage$ wrote: »
    Heard a rumour Dungannon have asked to drop to Junior but have been told they cant

Connemara asked for similar a number of years back and were given the same answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Paddy Jackson playing with Ulster Ravens v Munster A tomorrow in Nenagh

$ausage$ wrote: »
    And they shouldn't. With the restructuring they'll have another couple of seasons to go as a senior at least.

Bateman Cup semi finals this weekend. Thoughts on winners?
    Ballynahinch v Clontarf, Ballymacarn Park, 4.30pm
    Buccaneers v Cork Con, Dubarry Park, 4.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

phog wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson playing with Ulster Ravens v Munster A tomorrow in Nenagh

Only realised now that I posted this in the UBL thread rather than the Ulster thread. :o

[Bateman Cup semi finals this weekend. Thoughts on winners?
    Buccaneers v Cork Con, Dubarry Park, 4.30pm[/QUOTE]

Would Fancy Hinch & Con to go thru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

First image of the proposed new Clontarf surface at Castle Avenue... Looking forward to breaking some new bones on it.

342457.jpg

.ak wrote: »
    First image of the proposed new Clontarf surface at Castle Avenue... Looking forward to breaking some new bones on it.

When is that going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

342457.jpg

Woah. It looks so...futuristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Is that to go on the back pitch?

When is that going in?

Next year afaik.

iamjenko wrote: »
    Is that to go on the back pitch?

Yep, thank feck.

The current 1st pitch is a quality surface so they'll be happy enough to keep that.

Hopefully if the club can raise extra funds they'll add an extra surface for training purposes and a new terrace.

Wonder how many more clubs will be putting in 4G surfaces over next few seasons...

Anymore thoughts on Bateman Cup semi finals?
    Would go watch Buccs and Con but have my own game to referee Saturday morning and wont skip Ireland to go watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Next year afaik.

Email said they're starting next month and hope to have it done before next season I thought? :confused:

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Email said they're starting next month and hope to have it done before next season I thought? :confused:

I meant for next season yeah!

Although... How realistic will that be I wonder?

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

Should be. Only takes a couple of weeks to put down

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote: »
    Should be. Only takes a couple of weeks to put down

Did donnybrook not take a while? Or was that because of the stadium?

Wonder how many more clubs will be putting in 4G surfaces over next few seasons...

Anymore thoughts on Bateman Cup semi finals?
    Would go watch Buccs and Con but have my own game to referee Saturday morning and wont skip Ireland to go watch it.

Both Terenure & Clontarf installing pitches this summer due to interest free loan from businessman whose main condition is that it is used for the community and the wider area around the club.

They Join Wesley and Bective with their new surface along with UCD & Lansdowne who have had these for a while. Belvo would benefit from the surface as well but don't think the cash is there at the moment and Wanderers are rumoured to be doing a big job on Merrion Row with the help of Denis O'Brien so would assume they have included for one as well. Most of the top schools have also installed these pitches as well and with our climate and maintenance cost of keeping pitches right we will see alot of these pitches over the next 5 years

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Both Terenure & Clontarf installing pitches this summer due to interest free loan from businessman whose main condition is that it is used for the community and the wider area around the club.

They Join Wesley and Bective with their new surface along with UCD & Lansdowne who have had these for a while. Belvo would benefit from the surface as well but don't think the cash is there at the moment and Wanderers are rumoured to be doing a big job on Merrion Row with the help of Denis O'Brien so would assume they have included for one as well. Most of the top schools have also installed these pitches as well and with our climate and maintenance cost of keeping pitches right we will see alot of these pitches over the next 5 years

Which schools have put them in?

Did donnybrook not take a while? Or was that because of the stadium?

took a while as there were 2 pitches. they did 1 at a time

Bateman Cup semi finals this weekend. Thoughts on winners?
    Buccaneers v Cork Con, Dubarry Park, 4.30pm
    Clontarf won 24-20
    Con won 36-35

2nd last round of games this weekend
    Navan and Wanderers play in 2B tomorrow night but all other games are Saturday. Round Robin also starts this weekend

Lots to play for in all divisions especially 2A/2B with changes for next season. Anyone going to a game Saturday?

2nd last round of games this weekend
    Navan and Wanderers play in 2B tomorrow night but all other games are Saturday. Round Robin also starts this weekend

Lots to play for in all divisions especially 2A/2B with changes for next season. Anyone going to a game Saturday?

I'll be at the Rock Cashel game hopefully to see Rock promoted

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I'll be at the Rock Cashel game hopefully to see Rock promoted
    Cashel will be very tricky for Blackrock. Cashel have a mean defence, 3rd best behind Wesley and Nenagh, so should be a good game

Might try go to Corinthians and Trinity if I can on Saturday. Trinity with outside shot of going up to 1A and Corinthians needing points to stay in 1B

Cashel will be very tricky for Blackrock. Cashel have a mean defence, 3rd best behind Wesley and Nenagh, so should be a good game

Might try go to Corinthians and Trinity if I can on Saturday. Trinity with outside shot of going up to 1A and Corinthians needing points to stay in 1B

What has happened to Corinithians this year? After falling a long way back compared to their two previous seasons.

• Advertisement

What has happened to Corinithians this year? After falling a long way back compared to their two previous seasons.
    Different head coach could be an issue?? I know the current head coach Pat Cunningham was assistant to Phil Pretorius last season but that could be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Different head coach could be an issue?? I know the current head coach Pat Cunningham was assistant to Phil Pretorius last season but that could be an issue?
    Pretorius was a former Bulls coach and it showed...

Looking forward to 1A this weekend -Impossible to figure out who will get the last 2 playoff spots - Tarf obviously favourite for 3rd spot but still not a certainty and have 2 tough games ahead against Con and Ballynahinch. So many teams going for playoff spot but also in danger of relagation playoff also

Yeah last 2 spots in playoffs in 1a will be very interesting. Lansdowne & Terenure have home semis on April 25th but will probably not know their opponents till the last league game of the season on April 11th. Tarf, B'Hinch, UCD, Cork Con, Mary's Belvo & Young Munster all have chances of reaching the playoffs. Tarf I think will take the 3rd spot but 4th is a lottery any one of the above could take it. Interesting Fixtures this weekend;

• Terenure v Lansdowne - Home advantage & big crowd should see Terenure win a tight one
    • Clontarf v Cork Con - Again will be Tight Tarf to shade it
    • Dolphin v Hinch - Hinch
    • UCD v Belvo - Must win for UCD so I go for them in another tight one
    • Young Munster v St. Mary's - whoever looses is probably out of play offs and battling 1b playoff so will be a well contested game but expect YM to win narrowly
    A few rumblings about a promoted team being interviewed by IRFU re providing accommodation anyone hear anything?

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Yeah last 2 spots in playoffs in 1a will be very interesting. Lansdowne & Terenure have home semis on April 25th but will probably not know their opponents till the last league game of the season on April 11th. Tarf, B'Hinch, UCD, Cork Con, Mary's Belvo & Young Munster all have chances of reaching the playoffs. Tarf I think will take the 3rd spot but 4th is a lottery any one of the above could take it. Interesting Fixtures this weekend;

• Terenure v Lansdowne - Home advantage & big crowd should see Terenure win a tight one
    • Clontarf v Cork Con - Again will be Tight Tarf to shade it
    • Dolphin v Hinch - Hinch
    • UCD v Belvo - Must win for UCD so I go for them in another tight one
    • Young Munster v St. Mary's - whoever looses is probably out of play offs and battling 1b playoff so will be a well contested game but expect YM to win narrowly
    A few rumblings about a promoted team being interviewed by IRFU re providing accommodation anyone hear anything?

Old Wesley?

Stainalert wrote: »
    Old Wesley?

I think Old Wesley bought a hotel to put up their Limerick contingent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

And is this not allowed?

I think Old Wesley bought a hotel to put up their Limerick contingent

Yea got one cheap from Nama

Rock 15-0 up early in the second half against Cashel

1A
    Clontarf 43 Cork Constitution 28
    Dolphin 28 Ballynahinch 35
    Terenure College 20 Lansdowne 29
    UCD 20 Old Belvedere 23
    Young Munster 18 St Marys College 13

Lansdowne and Terenure will be at home in the playoffs. Clontarf will be away to Terenure. Ballynahinch are fourth but Young Munster, Old Belvedere, Cork Con all have a shot at replacing them in the final round of games.
    Dolphin are relegated. St Marys are second bottom and need a win next week to avoid playoff with second in 1B

1B
    Shannon 18 Ballymena 11
    Belfast Harlequins 36 Galwegians 34
    Buccaneers 0 UL Bohemians 32
    Corinthians 11 Dublin University 32
    Garryowen 34 Malone 12

Garryowen lead the table on 64, Wegians are second on 63, Trinity are third on 59. Wegians host Garryowen on the last day while Trinity are home to Belfast Harlequins who are 5th.
    Both Corinthians and Malone will be in 2A next season

2A
    Bective Rangers 24 Thomond 47
    Blackrock College 15 Cashel 3
    City of Derry 20 UCC 21
    Naas 26 Banbridge 19
    NUIM Barnhall 11 Nenagh Ormond 24
    Rainey Old Boys 27 Dungannon 10
    Skerries 41 Queen's University 40
    Old Wesley 43 Seapoint 3

Wesley are champions and promoted. Blackrock need just a point in two weeks time against UCC in Mardyke to join Wesley in 1B. Skerries can theoretically catch
    Blackrock but would need a huge comprehensive win over Cashel in Spafield in 2 weeks time as well as a large Blackrock loss.
    The real battle in 2A is the battle in the middle to decide who will be in the new 2A/2Bs next season. All of Naas, Queens, Barnhall, Nenagh and UCC are in the fight to remain in 2A.
    On the final day of games in two weeks time Naas travel to Thomond, who are safe in 2A, Queens host Barnhall. Nenagh host Rainey Old Boys who will be in the new 2B division next season. UCC, as above, will host Blackrock

2B
    Navan 27 Wanderers 21
    Ards 0 Sunday's Well 52
    Armagh 22 Richmond 3
    Boyne 26 Old Crescent 0
    Greystones 32 Bruff 15
    Highfield 30 Tullamore 8
    Kanturk 24 Sligo 26
    Midleton 17 De La Salle Palmerston 17

Highfield were by far the dominant side in 2B this season. 3 from Greystones, Tullamore, Armagh and Sundays Well will join them in the new 2B division next season.
    At the bottom. Ards were relegated several weeks ago. Richmond will be automatically relegated, alongside Ards, as they could catch DLSP if they beat Kanturk and Palmo get nothing but that's unlikely as DLSP play Ards.
    A big win for DLSP could see them put Boyne in the playoff against the Round Robin winner as Boyne are just 3 points ahead of DLSP. Boyne travel to Bruff who have nothing to play for.

Round Robin: Round 1
    Clonmel 40 Connemara 0
    Instonians 11 Dundalk 15

Clonmel in first place but hard to say theyre in the driving seat. Dundalk host Clonmel in round two on April 11th while Instonians make the long trip over to Clifden to face Connemara. Clonmel have both of their next two games away but 5 points from their only home game is a great start.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭good_afternoon

Who has best chance of making number 4 in 1A? 1 lansdowne, 2 nure, 3 tarf 4?? Dolphin gone, who will be in play off??

• Advertisement
Advertisement