Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

gaius c wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a harsh result for Salmo but it's great for Dundalk.
    It is but not great for Boyne in terms of getting players up there in north east. The Boyne/Navan/Dundalk games next season should be great for the neutral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It is but not great for Boyne in terms of getting players up there in north east. The Boyne/Navan/Dundalk games next season should be great for the neutral!

That's the way of life though. Barnhall suck players from all over north Kildare, meaning the junior clubs in the area struggle to hold onto players.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Nialler15

As someone who played for Boyne, I can assure you that it wont effect Boyne in terms of recruitment. Over the last few years they have had one player from Dundalk and that was only a dual status basis for a couple of games.

So thoughts on Saturdays final
    Anyone going to the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Do you mean Saturday week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

Is it not next week? The 8th

Stainalert wrote: »
    Do you mean Saturday week?
    Ah yeah its Sat week. :o In middle of exams so got dates mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Does it really matter? Maybe that is the thinking behind the awarding to the awards to academy players but they probably are as deserving of the award for performances as the others.
    ONeill likely to get the award for 1A top try scorer if he has scored as many as people have said here

Why shouldn't academy players get recognised if playing well? They may be on the way to stardom but that isn't always the way things occur. Should they not get an award for good performances because they might go on to better things as a full time pro later in their career?

The point is that the academy players are far more likely to get the award because they are academy players. It is much harder for a non academy player who may be playing as well if not better than the academy player to get the award.

Ulster Bank seem to always give the academy player the benefit of the doubt and this is more than likely a marketing ploy as described previously.

SA09 wrote: »
    The point is that the academy players are far more likely to get the award because they are academy players. It is much harder for a non academy player who may be playing as well if not better than the academy player to get the award.

Ulster Bank seem to always give the academy player the benefit of the doubt and this is more than likely a marketing ploy as described previously.
    Theyre not. The judges go to games and I really doubt the likes of Alan Quinlan, rugby journalists Adam Redmond, Donn O'Sullivan and Richard Mulligan etc etc are really going to be going im picking x as he's in the academy of x and I can say that I picked him as I knew he was going to go ....

Ulster Bank have no involvement in picking the awards. Its rugby journalists and former pro players whove played AIL who are picking the awards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Advertisement

Good move by Salmo as they try make it back to senior ranks next season....

"De La Salle Palmerston FC are delighted to announce with immediate effect, the appointment of Mr Phil Werahiko as Director of Rugby."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Didn't he used to coach them a few years back?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Didn't he used to coach them a few years back?
    Yeah. Coached them when they got up to division 1 of the league iirc

So
    Next Seasons Divisions:
    Division 1A
    Lansdowne, Terenure, Clontarf, Young Munster, Old Belvedere, UCD, Ballynahinch, Cork Constitution, Galwegians, Garryowen

Division 1B
    St Marys, Dolphin, Dublin University, Ballymena, Belfast Harlequins, Shannon, Buccaneers, UL Bohemians, Old Wesley, Blackrock College

Division 2A
    Malone, Corinthians, Skerries, Banbridge, Cashel, Queen's University, Naas, Thomond, Nenagh Ormond, UCC

Division 2B
    NUIM Barnhall, City of Derry, Rainey Old Boys, Dungannon, Seapoint, Bective Rangers, Highfield, Armagh, Greystones, Sunday's Well

Division 2C
    Tullamore, Midleton, Bruff, Sligo, Wanderers, Old Crescent, Navan, Kanturk, Boyne, Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I see the final next week is a 1pm start, why the change from usual 2.30pm start?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

I was hearing allot of chat about Quins looking for a new coach near the end of the season, maybe they have decided to stay with Larkin for another year?

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    I see the final next week is a 1pm start, why the change from usual 2.30pm start?
    Ulster Munster is at 2.40pm so dont want them to clash???

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Due to TV coverage I presume

SA09 wrote: »
    Due to TV coverage I presume

Not great really - I am sure the clubs would prefer a later kick off - still at least it means TV coverage

Not great really - I am sure the clubs would prefer a later kick off - still at least it means TV coverage
    What's not great about it? Clubs get to have the game shown live on tv when otherwise wouldn't. Its not as if both clubs have far to travel that an kick off at 1pm will mean serious disruption to them.

What's not great about it? Clubs get to have the game shown live on tv when otherwise wouldn't. Its not as if both clubs have far to travel that an kick off at 1pm will mean serious disruption to them.

Don't get me wrong television coverage is great - 1pm KO however is sub optimal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's not that big of a deal, as Lost Sheep said Clontarf don't have far to travel so it's much of a muchness.

Honestly whats "sub optimal" about a 1pm kickoff? Will an hour and half earlier kick-off truly affect the clubs that much?
    Who in your opinion doesn't deserve to be there? Who should be there? Whats wrong with these nominations?

Very odd!

If teams are playing all year at 2.30pm I am sure they would prefer to play final at 2.30pm. Routine is broken and while Clontarf have not far to travel it is that extra one and a half hour earlier start that is not great from a players, coaches etc point of view. Would prefer if it was 2.30pm if I was playing. Instead of a bus from Clontarf at 11.30 it will now be 10am so not ideal but if thats the way it is thats the way it is. If Young Munster got to the final it would have been very unfair

Honestly whats "sub optimal" about a 1pm kickoff? Will an hour and half earlier kick-off truly affect the clubs that much?

I don't think anyone looking to maximise an attendance at a sporting event would choose 1pm - it is too early

Who in your opinion doesn't deserve to be there? Who should be there? Whats wrong with these nominations?

All of the Leinster nominations for a start

I can think of several players in Terenure I would have instead of James O'Neill - Their no. 8 for one was outstanding this season.

Ciaran Ruddock has been a great servant for Marys but he was not a leading light for them this season.

Are we really saying Alan Large has been a better 10 than David Joyce, Scott Deasy, Ross Byrne, Cathal Marsh to name but a few

Have heard a lot of good reports about Du Toit but there have been several stand out forwards in 1A who deserve recognition - Take any of the Club International team for a start. My preference would be for Gardiner in Lansdowne or Pritchard in Ballynahinch

Not one player in club international training squad (below) included

ULSTER BANK CLUB INTERNATIONAL TRAINING SQUAD:

Royce Burke-Flynn (Clontarf)
    Aaron Conneely (Lansdowne)
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)
    Stephen Ferguson (City of Derry)
    Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    Shane Grannell (UCD)
    Ian Hirst (Clontarf)
    David Joyce (Clontarf)
    Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    Darragh Lyons (Cork Constitution)
    Kyle McCoy (Terenure College)
    Kevin McGrath (Skerries)
    Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    Stephen Murphy (UCD)
    Andrew O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution)
    Kieran O'Gorman (Old Belvedere)
    Ed O'Keeffe (Young Munster)
    Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College)
    Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    Eddie Rossiter (Garryowen)
    Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    Jonathan Slattery (Old Belvedere)
    Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    Sean Walsh (Cashel)
    Fergal Walsh (Terenure College)
    Peter O'Shea (Garryowen)

Not one player from the 2 finalists in Leinster is very odd I would say and only one player from 1a is also odd altough I do believe O'Neill deserves his nomination more of a PR Job than an award on merit as others have said previously re player of the month awards

Very odd!

If teams are playing all year at 2.30pm I am sure they would prefer to play final at 2.30pm. Routine is broken and while Clontarf have not far to travel it is that extra one and a half hour earlier start that is not great from a players, coaches etc point of view. Would prefer if it was 2.30pm if I was playing. Instead of a bus from Clontarf at 11.30 it will now be 10am so not ideal but if thats the way it is thats the way it is. If Young Munster got to the final it would have been very unfair
    Having been involved in logistical stuff re games it wont affect clubs too much. Do Friday Night games not break routine of sides who play overwhelmingly on Saturdays 2.30?
    But your not playing... The game is being shown live on tv. Something people have complained about coverage etc and the game at 1pm means the game doesn't clash with a key pro12 game that is being shown live on tv. Would you rather the game at 2.30 and majority of rugby supporters watching the pro12 game? 1pm kickoff may mean more irish supporters watching the game before Munster Ulster

Not one player from the 2 finalists in Leinster is very odd I would say and only one player from 1a is also odd altough I do believe O'Neill deserves his nomination more of a PR Job than an award on merit as others have said previously re player of the month awards

Apologies wrong O'Neill from Terenure I thought it was the centre Stephen O'Neill who does deserve a nomination but the James nomination makes it even stranger

Having been involved in logistical stuff re games it wont affect clubs too much. Do Friday Night games not break routine of sides who play overwhelmingly on Saturdays 2.30?
    But your not playing... The game is being shown live on tv. Something people have complained about coverage etc and the game at 1pm means the game doesn't clash with a key pro12 game that is being shown live on tv. Would you rather the game at 2.30 and majority of rugby supporters watching the pro12 game? 1pm kickoff may mean more irish supporters watching the game before Munster Ulster

You do love the IRFU! your uncompromising admiration and support of their polices has to be admired certainly given how outspoken you are on other matters!

• Advertisement

All of the Leinster nominations for a start

I can think of several players in Terenure I would have instead of James O'Neill - Their no. 8 for one was outstanding this season.

Ciaran Ruddock has been a great servant for Marys but he was not a leading light for them this season.

Are we really saying Alan Large has been a better 10 than David Joyce, Scott Deasy, Ross Byrne, Cathal Marsh to name but a few

Have heard a lot of good reports about Du Toit but there have been several stand out forwards in 1A who deserve recognition - Take any of the Club International team for a start. My preference would be for Gardiner in Lansdowne or Pritchard in Ballynahinch

Not one player in club international training squad (below) included

ULSTER BANK CLUB INTERNATIONAL TRAINING SQUAD:

Royce Burke-Flynn (Clontarf)
    Aaron Conneely (Lansdowne)
    Neil Cronin (Garryowen)
    Matt D'Arcy (Clontarf)
    Stephen Ferguson (City of Derry)
    Stephen Gardiner (Lansdowne)
    Shane Grannell (UCD)
    Ian Hirst (Clontarf)
    David Joyce (Clontarf)
    Declan Lavery (Old Belvedere)
    Angus Lloyd (Dublin University)
    Darragh Lyons (Cork Constitution)
    Kyle McCoy (Terenure College)
    Kevin McGrath (Skerries)
    Stephen Mulholland (Ballymena)
    Stephen Murphy (UCD)
    Andrew O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution)
    Kieran O'Gorman (Old Belvedere)
    Ed O'Keeffe (Young Munster)
    Stephen O'Neill (Terenure College)
    Daniel Riordan (Old Belvedere)
    Paul Pritchard (Ballynahinch)
    Ian Prendiville (Lansdowne)
    Mark Roche (Lansdowne)
    Eddie Rossiter (Garryowen)
    Sean Coughlan (Blackrock College)
    Jonathan Slattery (Old Belvedere)
    Connor Smyth (Ballymena)
    Ger Sweeney (Cork Constitution)
    Sean Walsh (Cashel)
    Fergal Walsh (Terenure College)
    Peter O'Shea (Garryowen)
    You complained and moaned about the selection of that squad when it was named and selected as well. Whats it to be? The people involved will never be right in your opinion if going by how you feel about the decisions made in selection of players/rep squads etc.
    Is it that odd? 1A may be the top flight but they have had plenty other and more opportunities to be recognised for work in season compared to 1B/2A/2B.
    How would you make it an award on merit? What would be the criteria to determine exactly who should merit an award?

You complained and moaned about the selection of that squad when it was named and selected as well. Whats it to be? The people involved will never be right in your opinion if going by how you feel about the decisions made in selection of players/rep squads etc.

Is it that odd? 1A may be the top flight but they have had plenty other and more opportunities to be recognised for work in season compared to 1B/2A/2B.
    How would you make it an award on merit? What would be the criteria to determine exactly who should merit an award?

Would like the coaches in each league to vote on it with the stipulation that they can't vote for any of their own players!

You do love the IRFU! your uncompromising admiration and support of their polices has to be admired certainly given how outspoken you are on other matters!
    "Uncompromising admiration" for IRFU. Get out of that. The criticism from some here is ridiculous. Why don't you and others here, who are clearly frustrated with the current system of player recognition etc, come up with a system you deem as fair and send your ideas Into the IRFU/Ulster Bank. Its journalists who cover the league as well as some other reps who pick the players to be recognised. Why don't you contact them if you are so opposed to their selections for nominations/awards

And you defended that squad to the hilt yet none of those players make these shortlists. I thought this was a forum where people are allowed express opinions as opposed to "complain and moan". Seems to me Lost Sheep like you don't like anyone challenging your opinion or your beloved IRFU

"Uncompromising admiration" for IRFU. Get out of that. The criticism from some here is ridiculous. Why don't you and others here, who are clearly frustrated with the current system of player recognition etc, come up with a system you deem as fair and send your ideas Into the IRFU/Ulster Bank. Its journalists who cover the league as well as some other reps who pick the players to be recognised. Why don't you contact them if you are so opposed to their selections for nominations/awards

Thanks Philip Browne!

Uncompromising?? Look in the mirror .....
    And you defended that squad to the hilt yet none of those players make these shortlists. I thought this was a forum where people are allowed express opinions as opposed to "complain and moan". Seems to me Lost Sheep like you don't like anyone challenging your opinion or your beloved IRFU
    Ye two .... ye know nothing especially about me. I have and will criticise how the IRFU act in certain ways but ye're delusions about this is laughable. The squad was the best available and those who made themselves available.
    You have constantly complained about the league, its format, scheduling of games, IRFU promotion, selection of representative squads, selection of players chosen for awards. Why don't you contact the IRFU and Scott Walker and his staff with your concerns for the league and how its organised/promoted if you have such concerns

• Advertisement

Ye two .... ye know nothing especially about me. I have and will criticise how the IRFU act in certain ways but ye're delusions about this is laughable. The squad was the best available and those who made themselves available.
    You have constantly complained about the league, its format, scheduling of games, IRFU promotion, selection of representative squads, selection of players chosen for awards. Why don't you contact the IRFU and Scott Walker and his staff with your concerns for the league and how its organised/promoted if you have such concerns

I quiet like what i see in the mirror every day:)

So you think Scott Walker listens??? The world is full of dreamers!!

And what makes you such a fountain of knowledge?

I quiet like what i see in the mirror every day:)

So you think Scott Walker listens??? The world is full of dreamers!!
    He does and will if there is actual valid criticisms. Why don't you put some actual valid criticisms of how the IRFU are acting wrongly in relation to the club game and send them to him
    And what makes you such a fountain of knowledge?
    Where did I state I was??
    You have moaned all season about how the IRFU are not doing enough, the journalists helping to pick the club awards haven't done their job, the national club team coaches haven't done their job correctly. Why don't you put your names to any actual criticism and send it in to the IRFU? You clearly feel the IRFU are not acting for the club game as well as they should so why not actually contact them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Lads no need for the sniping - be civil or don't post at all.

He does and will if there is actual valid criticisms. Why don't you put some actual valid criticisms of how the IRFU are acting wrongly in relation to the club game and send them to him

I would safely say some 30 clubs or more did but were not listened to! That argument is for another day and I don't want to chat about your mate on this forum

• Advertisement

Where did I state I was??
    You have moaned all season about how the IRFU are not doing enough, the journalists helping to pick the club awards haven't done their job, the national club team coaches haven't done their job correctly. Why don't you put your names to any actual criticism and send it in to the IRFU? You clearly feel the IRFU are not acting for the club game as well as they should so why not actually contact them?[/QUOTE]

Well you berate anyone who offers an opinion opposed to your own and you are now telling me I know nothing about club rugby

For once I actually agree with you when you say "You clearly feel the IRFU are not acting for the club game as well as they should". FYI - I have spoken to Scott Walker and others within the IRFU and outlined my views on several occasions. I haven't once criticised a journalist on this forum and to suggest I have done so is simply not true

Getting back to the point being discussed do you actually have any opinions on the player nominations?

Would like the coaches in each league to vote on it with the stipulation that they can't vote for any of their own players!
    They have for previous years in some awards iirc. That would be fine. Don't see any issue with current system.
    Well you berate anyone who offers an opinion opposed to your own and you are now telling me I know nothing about club rugby

For once I actually agree with you when you say "You clearly feel the IRFU are not acting for the club game as well as they should". FYI - I have spoken to Scott Walker and others within the IRFU and outlined my views on several occasions. I haven't once criticised a journalist on this forum and to suggest I have done so is simply not true

Getting back to the point being discussed do you actually have any opinions on the player nominations?
    I don't have any problem with different opinions but when you constantly are going "oh you're an IRFU apologist" bla bla bla it shows you up to be a ....
    You have criticised the coverage of the league => you're criticising the journalists....
    You dislike how the league is covered. Why not do something about it. Create a blog. Go to games. Write previews/updates. Go to websites like knockon.ie, talk to Rob Murphy and say you will help him and Alan Deegan etc cover the competition.
    I don't have any real complaints about the nominations. James O Neill totally deserves his place. Who are all the 'Nure players who should be ahead of him.
    Perhaps John Ed O Connor of Cashel shouldn't be there and they could have looked at some Skerries players considering how they went up in 2A after only going from 2B this time last year

Stephen O'Neill & Robert Duke had fantastic seasons for Terenure and would have them ahead of James O'Neill, ask any coach in 1a and they are the players they would want if they had the pick of Terenure. To say that James O'Neill & Ciaran Ruddock who missed a lot of the season are the 2 best and most worthy nominations of senior players in Leinster is way off the mark. As said the nominations are not a true reflection of the top players in the league more like a Rose of Tralee contest for rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Well considering how much we argue over 6 nations player of the season the arguments over this will be worse. not too many will have seen all the players or clubs so it'll be hard to have a fair argument.
    Rose of Tralee sounds good. Will there be a bikini section? :)
    Ulster bank are sponsorig and need to have a end of season gig. One of the lads from my clu got Junior player a few years back when we were promoted. We saw it as a reward cos the club did well. It could have been between 4 lads on that team.
    I don't take these awards to seriously. Now if we had stats of the year and base it on that. Demented mole style.
    Most tackles rucks hit yards carried. That we could really have a good argument about

shaungil wrote: »
    Well considering how much we argue over 6 nations player of the season the arguments over this will be worse. not too many will have seen all the players or clubs so it'll be hard to have a fair argument.
    Rose of Tralee sounds good. Will there be a bikini section? :)
    Ulster bank are sponsorig and need to have a end of season gig. One of the lads from my clu got Junior player a few years back when we were promoted. We saw it as a reward cos the club did well. It could have been between 4 lads on that team.
    I don't take these awards to seriously. Now if we had stats of the year and base it on that. Demented mole style.
    Most tackles rucks hit yards carried. That we could really have a good argument about

Unfortunately stats are not shared but reminds me of an article I read recently where the Scottish Union had a great imitative recently by partnering with a performance analysis company they rolled out free software to all clubs in the equivalent of our AIL including cameras and training. I have mentioned this to Scott Walker but no response!

The talent section in the Ulster Bank Rose of Rugby would be classic!

You have criticised the coverage of the league => you're criticising the journalists....

Absolutely not - journalists don't control what games they have to cover - they get told where to go and what subjects to cover. The lack of coverage of the league is more to do with a lack of marketing focus from the IRFU and to be fair in the last few weeks I think the IRFU have really upped their game but there is an awful lot more that can be done as mooted in previous discussions

You dislike how the league is covered. Why not do something about it. Create a blog. Go to games. Write previews/updates. Go to websites like knockon.ie, talk to Rob Murphy and say you will help him and Alan Deegan etc cover the competition.

Sorry but I don't have enough time - as it is I dedicate enough time to my club. Knockon.ie have more of a focus on lower divisions and junior rugby and do a very good job.

I don't have any real complaints about the nominations. James O Neill totally deserves his place. Who are all the 'Nure players who should be ahead of him.
    Perhaps John Ed O Connor of Cashel shouldn't be there and they could have looked at some Skerries players considering how they went up in 2A after only going from 2B this time last year[/QUOTE]

Stephen O'Neill, Kyle McCoy, Kevin O'Neill have been very good in my opinion

Munster wise Tomas Quinlan, Darren Sweetnam, Eamonn Mills have impressed me but in fairness I haven't seen a lot outside of 1A

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Perhaps John Ed O Connor of Cashel shouldn't be there and they could have looked at some Skerries players considering how they went up in 2A after only going from 2B this time last year

[/QUOTE]

And almost straight up to 1B but for 1 massive slip up... :o

Absolutely not - journalists don't control what games they have to cover - they get told where to go and what subjects to cover. The lack of coverage of the league is more to do with a lack of marketing focus from the IRFU and to be fair in the last few weeks I think the IRFU have really upped their game but there is an awful lot more that can be done as mooted in previous discussions

Sorry but I don't have enough time - as it is I dedicate enough time to my club. Knockon.ie have more of a focus on lower divisions and junior rugby and do a very good job.

Munster wise Tomas Quinlan, Darren Sweetnam, Eamonn Mills have impressed me but in fairness I haven't seen a lot outside of 1A[/QUOTE]The 3 journalists in question involved in selection of these awards Adam Redmond, Donn O Sullivan and Richard Mulligan are all sports editors/rugby reporters&sub sports editor of the newspapers they write for so I would think they would be deciding what they cover/don't considering their roles.

The lack of coverage of the league cant all be put on the shoulders of the IRFU. They preview games, provide highlights of games, do other features through the season. Have an awards system in place. What else do you want the IRFU to do?

You're complaining about coverage of the league. Why not do something about it other than whinging? I have written for Rob murphy Knockon.ie in the past. Don't get to enough AIL games these days of different clubs for it to be worthwhile for me to contact Rob to write for him but would if I wasn't refereeing/coaching Saturdays/Sundays most weekends.

Were you not complaining about players awards going to contracted/academy players... So why then go on and name 2 contracted players from 3 as other potential guys to get an award....

Munster wise Tomas Quinlan, Darren Sweetnam, Eamonn Mills have impressed me but in fairness I haven't seen a lot outside of 1A
    The 3 journalists in question involved in selection of these awards Adam Redmond, Donn O Sullivan and Richard Mulligan are all sports editors/rugby reporters&sub sports editor of the newspapers they write for so I would think they would be deciding what they cover/don't considering their roles.

So now you're accusing me of criticising the coverage that the journalists that actually cover the league provide! - Baloney. If you check with your mates in the IRFU you'll find that the Irish Times didn't even turn up to the media briefing for the 1A final today

The lack of coverage of the league cant all be put on the shoulders of the IRFU. They preview games, provide highlights of games, do other features through the season. Have an awards system in place. What else do you want the IRFU to do?

Discussed previously - move on

You're complaining about coverage of the league. Why not do something about it other than whinging? I have written for Rob murphy Knockon.ie in the past. Don't get to enough AIL games these days of different clubs for it to be worthwhile for me to contact Rob to write for him but would if I wasn't refereeing/coaching Saturdays/Sundays most weekends.

Discussed previously - move on

Were you not complaining about players awards going to contracted/academy players... So why then go on and name 2 contracted players from 3 as other potential guys to get an award....[/QUOTE]

I didn't "complain". I made a comment that these guys are already on their way to stardom hence the "rising star" award should go to some less well recognised talent. If your talking about the award for the best players in the province playing in the league that's what it should be, academy players and all. Happy to take criticism on my Munster players selection as I am the first to admit that my knowledge on Munster players outside of 1A is pretty limited

For the sake of my own sanity can we please get back to talking rugby rather than semantics - I am losing the will to live! I am sure everyone else here could do with a break as well

So now you're accusing me of criticising the coverage that the journalists that actually cover the league provide! - Baloney. If you check with your mates in the IRFU you'll find that the Irish Times didn't even turn up to the media briefing for the 1A final today

I didn't "complain". I made a comment that these guys are already on their way to stardom hence the "rising star" award should go to some less well recognised talent. If your talking about the award for the best players in the province playing in the league that's what it should be, academy players and all. Happy to take criticism on my Munster players selection as I am the first to admit that my knowledge on Munster players outside of 1A is pretty limited

For the sake of my own sanity can we please get back to talking rugby rather than semantics - I am losing the will to live! I am sure everyone else here could do with a break as well
    You have been criticising the coverage of the league. You have been going on about IRFU not doing enough and implying journalists not doing enough.
    The rising star award is for players who at a young age have been performing to a high standard in the league to limit academy players isn't totally fair. Academy players may be on their way to stardom - being in an academy doesn't mean that they are and shouldn't preclude them from being recognised for very good performances as 19/20/21 year olds in a league predominantly played by men several years older if not more

You have been complaining about kick off times of the final but the change means there will now be much better coverage/attention for the final.
    You have complained about match reports. Cover games yourself if you want match reports as IRFU cant do everything.
    You have complained about teams and team sheets and you said "Teams should contribute to making the league a better product and more accessible" well supporters of the league can also contribute to making the league a better product and more accessible" well then why don't you produce some match reports next season if the IRFUs coverage of the league continues not to meet the standards that you desire

• Advertisement
Advertisement