Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Bank League 2014-2015 talk/gossip/rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rugby addict

good win for Nuim Barnhall away to last years runners up, they have 2A all sewn up this year. you heard it here first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

good win for Nuim Barnhall away to last years runners up, they have 2A all sewn up this year. you heard it here first
    Sewn up no. Theyre a good side but Wesley, Nenagh, Thomond will do well in 2A as will Queens and wouldn't at all say any side has 2A sewn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AIL Supporter

Young Munsters were appalling today. They certainly will struggle if todays display is repeated. They seemed totally dis-intrested, innefective, no structure to there game and bassicaly useless....James O Neill put in a fine display for Nure,Willie Staunton horrendous at his old stomping ground. Golf win for Cork Con vers them off thé mark any other displays of note??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AIL Supporter

Young Munsters were appalling today. They certainly will struggle if todays display is repeated. They seemed totally dis-intrested, innefective, no structure to there game and bassicaly useless....James O Neill put in a fine display for Nure,Willie Staunton horrendous at his old stomping ground. Golf win for Cork Con vers them off thé mark any other displays of note??

Pity they are struggling. They were poor when I saw them a few weeks ago and they've lost a few players. Seems like they collapsed after the big break due to injury to their no8 Sean Rennison.
    Not good for Limerick and Munster not to have any teams doing well in top flight. Hopefully 1 of Shannon/Bohs/Garryowen can go up to 1A in next season or two. Four 1A sides from Limerick was a bit much but two is about right.

Wesley putting 50 on Dungannon is surprising. Nenagh getting another win to go 2 from 2 is good and surprising considering theyre pre season. BP win for Kanturk is very good display for the 2B newcomers. Also surprised at Wanderers losing by over double scores

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

They will be contenders as well as Wesley and Queens! Good result for Rock as well

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    They will be contenders as well as Wesley and Queens! Good result for Rock as well

Barnhall are a decent side, for me, Nenagh, Old Wesley are the top 2 sides in the division. Old wesley probably shading it currently as my favourites after previously say Nenagh were.

Wesley have added Cian O Shea, winger/centre/fullback from Garryowen after having had to move to Dublin for work. O Shea did preseason and played in 1st game of AIL for Garryowen. Along with Mark and Dave Rowley they have plenty of top level exp, skill, a good brand of rugby and some serious grunt up front. Look like the team to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Is it true the Munster Branch now want to apply a fee for player transfers? Something like €20 per player transferring!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Braken

Stainalert wrote: »
    Is it true the Munster Branch now want to apply a fee for player transfers? Something like €20 per player transferring!
    True...they have already done it....

• Advertisement

Braken wrote: »
    True...they have already done it....

That's unreal! Who pays it? Player requesting transfer or new club ? Surely not endorsed or allowed by IRFU?

Its true. Don't see too much wrong with it for adult grades if it stops some of the messing that surrounds player moves every single season. There has always been admin fee's for transfers albeit rather small fee's like €4 for any transfer from youths/schools(which covers id cards etc) to adult but this is just an extension of that
    That's unreal! Who pays it? Player requesting transfer or new club ? Surely not endorsed or allowed by IRFU?
    Would assume club pays.

Any thoughts on next weekends games? Hope to have preview up later in week but predictions as of now below

1A
    Friday 7.30pm
    Clontarf v UCD
    Saturday 2.30pm
    Ballynahinch v Lansdowne
    Dolphin v Terenure
    St Marys v Cork Con
    Young Munster v Old Belvedere

1B
    Saturday 2.30pm
    Belfast Harlequins v Garryowen
    Buccaneers v Galwegians
    Corinthians v Shannon
    UL Bohemians v Ballymena
    Dublin University v Malone

2A
    Saturday 2.30pm
    Banbridge v Thomond
    Blackrock College v Seapoint
    City of Derry v Old Wesley
    Naas v Dungannon
    NUIM Barnhall v Cashel
    Rainey Old Boys v Queens University
    Skerries v UCC
    Bective Rangers v Nenagh Ormond

2B
    Saturday 2.30pm
    Boyne v Ards
    Bruff v Sundays Well
    Greystones v Highfield
    Kanturk v Armagh
    Navan v Midleton
    Old Crescent v De La Salle Palmerston
    Richmond v Wanderers
    Sligo v Tullamore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well the IRFU have done it again - Provincial A teams all playing each other in friendlies the same weekend as full AIL fixtures. Another kick in the teeth for the clubs. Deprives the league of some of its best talent and as such devalues it. UCD will be sick that they have to face Clontarf AIL champions without over half of their first choice players available. Dolphin, Belvo, Lansdowne and Con will all be a lot weaker as a result of clash. Why do the clubs put up with this?

Well the IRFU have done it again - Provincial A teams all playing each other in friendlies the same weekend as full AIL fixtures. Another kick in the teeth for the clubs. Deprives the league of some of its best talent and as such devalues it. UCD will be sick that they have to face Clontarf AIL champions without over half of their first choice players available. Dolphin, Belvo, Lansdowne and Con will all be a lot weaker as a result of clash. Why do the clubs put up with this?
    No choice I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sbtrkter90

It's one game.. it's not some sort of travesty

• Advertisement

sbtrkter90 wrote: »

So that makes it okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

sbtrkter90 wrote: »

Is if you support UCD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the provincial coaches who want this not simply the IRFU. The A sides have British and Irish Cup next weekend so need some sort of warm up prior to that.
    UCD etc know that there will be plenty of times in the season when they wont have players available due to provincial call ups. What can the clubs do but put up with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

The provinces are doing what is best for them, the clubs know that, the A teams will be an ongoing problem for clubs. Better for the players themselves though surely to be playing at that level rather than AIL? It is hard on the clubs, but for the players it is the best thing.

Leinster look strong again at that level and have so much strength in depth at B&I cup games. Other provinces need to use these games to bring players through, get them used to systems. Some can use as a better shop window to put themselves up for full provincial squads.

Some of the teams involved from Scotland and Wales in the B&I are not much better than the top teams in AIL div 1A,I have been to a few A games last year and the standard was poor enough most of the time

• Advertisement

Some of the teams involved from Scotland and Wales in the B&I are not much better than the top teams in AIL div 1A,I have been to a few A games last year and the standard was poor enough most of the time

Agree and if you talk off the record with provincial coaches they will privately admit that they are a waste of time and resources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Nearly every professional club will have an A team or a second team, used to bring players through, to give some game time to players returning from injury etc.

They would be the times that they would get used to the coaching methods of the first team, the defensive systems, the calls etc. they would be not always used as games that results are everything, they are used for the benefit of the club and the first team. No way are they a waste of time.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Nearly every professional club will have an A team or a second team, used to bring players through, to give some game time to players returning from injury etc.

They would be the times that they would get used to the coaching methods of the first team, the defensive systems, the calls etc. they would be not always used as games that results are everything, they are used for the benefit of the club and the first team. No way are they a waste of time.

Some of the opposition teams are muck and no benefit what so ever a training session against the senior team would benefit more. Nothing to be learned playing against vastly inferior sides no value in it at all

The provinces are doing what is best for them, the clubs know that, the A teams will be an ongoing problem for clubs. Better for the players themselves though surely to be playing at that level rather than AIL? It is hard on the clubs, but for the players it is the best thing.

Leinster look strong again at that level and have so much strength in depth at B&I cup games. Other provinces need to use these games to bring players through, get them used to systems. Some can use as a better shop window to put themselves up for full provincial squads.
    The A teams will be an ongoing problem for clubs but while it is hard on clubs they benefit from this as well as players who are playing provincial A rugby will benefit from playing the higher standard and still able to play club rugby.
    The other provinces do use these games to bring players through. Ulster generally have fielded much younger sides than the other provinces In B&I cup and while not really made an impact on knockout stages compared to Leinster and Munster they have brought a large number of players through the team to higher grades
    I disagree and have been going to B&I cup games since the first season the standard is pretty good and we really do benefit a lot from competing
    Agree and if you talk off the record with provincial coaches they will privately admit that they are a waste of time and resources
    I doubt that. How many other times can they get players not in or near first team set up playing competitive games where they can use first team unit plays etc

+1. Totally agree

Just looked at my Predictions for last seasons AIL
    post #226 in 13/14 ubl thread
    I have my predictions and where each side finished. Some predictions weren't too bad, got several spot on, while others were horrendously wrong(Trinity, Corinthians and Boyne were all at opposite ends of table that I predicted :o)
    1A
    Champions: Lansdowne
    Relegated: Old Belvedere, Young Munster

finished
    4th
    2nd, 7th

1B
    Champions: Dublin University
    Promoted: Buccaneers
    Relegated: Blackrock, Corinthians

finished 7th
    2nd
    9th, 4th

2A
    Champions: Ballymena
    Promoted: Galwegians
    Relegated: Old Crescent, Naas

finished 2nd
    1st
    15th, 13th

2B
    Champions: Boyne
    Promoted: Nenagh
    Relegated: Suttonians

finished 14th
    1st
    16th

I disagree and have been going to B&I cup games since the first season the standard is pretty good and we really do benefit a lot from competing
    LS will have to differ from you here,standard of the scots sides are low,but that said they may benefit from a bit of comradery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I sincerely doubt that, from my own experience in Munster, Penney seemed to be a big fan of the games.

phog wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that, from my own experience in Munster, Penney seemed to be a big fan of the games.

Have no idea re Munster - Let's agree to differ on this

Just looked at my Predictions for last seasons AIL
    post #226 in 13/14 ubl thread
    I have my predictions and where each side finished. Some predictions weren't too bad, got several spot on, while others were horrendously wrong(Trinity, Corinthians and Boyne were all at opposite ends of table that I predicted :o)
    1A
    Champions: Lansdowne
    Relegated: Old Belvedere, Young Munster

finished
    4th
    2nd, 7th

1B
    Champions: Dublin University
    Promoted: Buccaneers
    Relegated: Blackrock, Corinthians

finished 7th
    2nd
    9th, 4th

2A
    Champions: Ballymena
    Promoted: Galwegians
    Relegated: Old Crescent, Naas

finished 2nd
    1st
    15th, 13th

2B
    Champions: Boyne
    Promoted: Nenagh
    Relegated: Suttonians

finished 14th
    1st
    16th

So what are your predictions for this year?

Have no idea re Munster - Let's agree to differ on this

Yeah and that worked real well for them:)

• Advertisement

LS will have to differ from you here,standard of the scots sides are low,but that said they may benefit from a bit of comradery
    Yes the standard of some sides isn't the highest but we benefit from more than camaraderie as its time in provincial jersey, using provincial units/moves/patterns etc
    So what are your predictions for this year?
    Greystones, Wesley/Barnhall, not to sure of 1B, Lansdowne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Spot on Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Reading today that Terenure have won 26 AIL games in a row. Surely this must be some kind of record?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Reading today that Terenure have won 26 AIL games in a row. Surely this must be some kind of record?

Home games i think? Serious going, have turned their patch into a fortress!

Pretty sure it's away too. Didn't they win every single game last season?

Pretty impressive but I am guessing their next 4 or 5 games will be their toughest yet. They have had a great run

Terenure are unbeaten since February 2013 when they lost to Corinthians 21-15 in Galway in a 2A game. They have went up to 1A straight from that.
    It is a record and only team who may have went close would maybe be Bruff who went straight up from junior to division 3 to division 2 to division 1 or one of the Shannon 3/4 in a row sides.

Nenagh Ormond are another side on an unbeaten run. They haven't lost in their last 20 AIL games with their last defeat being a 1 point loss to Naas at the start of March 2013
    No home and away.

Pretty impressive but I am guessing their next 4 or 5 games will be their toughest yet. They have had a great run

Hope I haven't put the mockers on them now by bringing it up!

Clontarf v UCD - Clontarf - UCD missing too many

Dolphin v Terenure - Terenure to make it 27

Ballynahinch v Lansdowne - Ballynahinch will benefit from Ulster A game being played on Thursday

St Marys v Cork Con - St Marys if they can compete without Cathal Marsh

Young Munster v Old Belvedere - Young Munster terrible on the road but always strong at home

• Advertisement

Clontarf v UCD - Clontarf - UCD missing too many

Dolphin v Terenure - Terenure to make it 27

Ballynahinch v Lansdowne - Ballynahinch will benefit from Ulster A game being played on Thursday

St Marys v Cork Con - St Marys if they can compete without Cathal Marsh

Young Munster v Old Belvedere - Young Munster terrible on the road but always strong at home
    UCD team listed in indo today. Not too bad a team considering they are missing a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Clontarf leading 23 - 5

Final score 28 - 5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Terenure currently 33-0 up away to Dolphin.

Finished 47-0...

Aggregate score of 99-0 in last two games!

results round up
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/32590.php#.VDFMdrh0zMw

Good to see Con and Munsters win. Dublin sides in top 4 places in 1A, great to see Galwegians going strong in 1B as it would be fantastic to see a Connacht side in the top flight
    Wesley going strong in 2A after high scoring clash up in Derry,
    Highfield and Armagh leading the way in 2B with Richmond struggling at the other end

• Advertisement

Good result from shannon 30 to 7 against Corinthians looks like the youth policy might be paying off average age of the squad I believe only 20/21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Description for Andy Boyle's try is incorrect. Andy Boyle himself made the outside break and passed to Garry Ringrose who offloaded back to him for the try.

No more AIL until Halloween night when Buccaneers host Corinthians and then full round of games on November 1st.

Ulster clubs play Senior Cup this weekend, in Munster its the following weekend.

LS...who's your nap for the munster senior cup this season?

LS...who's your nap for the munster senior cup this season?
    Nap?

• Advertisement
Advertisement