Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU for under 250 Euro?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, currently got:
    8 GB RAM,
    GTX 560,
    950W
    and a god damn Intel Pentium G860 CPU,

All my games can handle graphics but they lag and take ages to load, even when I am downloading game from Steam, the file is being downloaded faster than my CPU can process it and write to HDD, and when it's downloading I can't do anything else on PC else it pretty much lags badly.
    The socket is 1155,

Would prefer to buy from Elara since I can pick it up next day pretty much.

Any suggestions for CPU under +/-250 Euro?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

i5-2500K is probably the best bang for your buck CPU for that socket.
    Just see if your motherboards supports it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

5uspect wrote: »
    i5-2500K is probably the best bang for your buck CPU for that socket.
    Just see if your motherboards supports it.

Well on intel website it says the socket for my current CPU is: FCLGA1155

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Do you have the motherboard spec? Just because it supports the socket does not mean that a CPU will work. Speccy will show you the motherboard model,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'm going to go out there and suggest the AMD FX-8320 + a new motherboard to support it (assuming your computer isn't a dell or whatever). It is a savage CPU for the money. All in should be under 250.

P8Z77-M PRO
    That's my motherboard,

This says: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P8Z77-M_PRO.html

That 2500k is supported, so I guess that's ok?

Also I don't really want to switch to AMD, maybe when I have more money, but for 250 eur I want to get as best as it can get to that price.

• Advertisement

arleitiss wrote: »
    Also I don't really want to switch to AMD, maybe when I have more money, but for 250 eur I want to get as best as it can get to that price.

I think that price / performance is strongly in favour of AMD at the moment (and has been for some time). At the higher end, Intel wipe the floor, but for compute power for your euro AMD is where it's at.

http://paulisageek.com/compare/cpu/

The AMD is nearly a third faster than the 2500K, at lower cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,266 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you can get 33% more performance from an Eight Core CPU from AMD, and still afford the motherboard and stay in that budget, Uhm, do it. Eight ****ing cores, not 2 cores with hyper threading. Eight ****ing cores. I've been following the multicore trend since dual cores were in their infancy and people on this forum thought I was a dummy. Now everything has some degree of Multithreading and that trend will only continue.

And I'm guessing he means 33% more clock speed? We aren't even mentioning the higher transistor count or core count. I'm guessing the amd would indeed wipe the floor with that second gen i5

It's about a third total, so each core would be slower than the i5 core, but overall it would be faster. It's based of the score on cpubenchmark.net (and taken from that page I linked to).

Depends on how they benchmark everything but yeah that sounds more reasonable :p

Still a better deal. Core-i's are great in the short term but long term performance is juiced out of maximizing multicore usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I would go with something like below.

I5 - 4440

and

this motherboard

If your budget is 250 or slightly higher you might be able to fit in a xeon processor.

The above are not overclockable. If overclocking the below three items would be good.

i5 4670 k

212 evo cooler

Z87 motherboard

• Advertisement

Budget went up by tiny bit, now it's a max of 300 Euro.

Note: I also do some 3D rendering and game development.

Budget went up by tiny bit, now it's a max of 300 Euro.

Note: I also do some 3D rendering and game development.

See if the programs you use can make use of hyperthreading with a xeon, its an I7 with no integrated graphics.

As in my previous post thats really what your looking at for around the 300 mark. Maybe get a I5 4570 instead of the I5 4440.

Your lucking at a new motherboard really as well as a processor.

Overheal wrote: »
    If you can get 33% more performance from an Eight Core CPU from AMD, and still afford the motherboard and stay in that budget, Uhm, do it. Eight ****ing cores, not 2 cores with hyper threading. Eight ****ing cores. I've been following the multicore trend since dual cores were in their infancy and people on this forum thought I was a dummy. Now everything has some degree of Multithreading and that trend will only continue.

And I'm guessing he means 33% more clock speed? We aren't even mentioning the higher transistor count or core count. I'm guessing the amd would indeed wipe the floor with that second gen i5

No they don't whatsoever! Just because a processor has more cores does not make it a better processor!

Is this alright for games?
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2374502

I use Vray renderer which requires a lot CPU power and I heard before that 3770k is very good for 3D modelling, but what about games? would it be alright?

Its perfect for gaming but you are paying quite a lot for it!

yawhat! wrote: »
    Its perfect for gaming but you are paying quite a lot for it!

Well if it's gonna let me play latest games without a bother, I don't mind tbh

Well if it's gonna let me play latest games without a bother, I don't mind tbh

Its an excellent processor, just 50 euro dearer on the site you linked than other sites.

Its an excellent processor, just 50 euro dearer on the site you linked than other sites.

Any shops perhaps that sell it cheaper? Where I could get it immediately?

No they don't whatsoever! Just because a processor has more cores does not make it a better processor!

Naturally. In this case though, it is a better processor. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends really. For some applications the 8320 would be a good buy but from a games point of view, the i5 is superior.

What I'm surprised at though is that no-one has pointed out that clearly there is something else wrong with your PC.

The G860 is still a relatively fast CPU. You've said that when you're downloading games from Steam the whole PC becomes unusable? That's not the CPU. What you've described is a different problem - maybe there's an issue with your hard drive.

A G860 with a good video card would still run 90% of games at high/ultra settings fine. The major exceptions would be things like 64 player Battlefield 4 online, and other CPU heavy games.

In fact the G860 would benefit from a faster card than a GTX560, which is actually pretty medicore by standards now. If you're a games player, it's total insanity to drop €250 on a CPU and stick with an old GPU.

Rethink needed here to be honest.

• Advertisement

Depends really. For some applications the 8320 would be a good buy but from a games point of view, the i5 is superior.

What I'm surprised at though is that no-one has pointed out that clearly there is something else wrong with your PC.

The G860 is still a relatively fast CPU. You've said that when you're downloading games from Steam the whole PC becomes unusable? That's not the CPU. What you've described is a different problem - maybe there's an issue with your hard drive.

A G860 with a good video card would still run 90% of games at high/ultra settings fine. The major exceptions would be things like 64 player Battlefield 4 online, and other CPU heavy games.

In fact the G860 would benefit from a faster card than a GTX560, which is actually pretty medicore by standards now. If you're a games player, it's total insanity to drop €250 on a CPU and stick with an old GPU.

Rethink needed here to be honest.

I played Watch Dogs few days ago, and I quit it, I couldn't even play it.
    I can even set to very low res, and worst video settings but game just simply lags.

For example I drive car in game and it freezes up for 5 seconds, then unfreezes, then again and this repeats a lot.

Games like Crysis 3:
    Loads fine, mid settings but game is lagging and takes ages to load.

Battlefield 3 - 64 player server - Runs perfect on Mid settings.

When it comes to 3D rendering in modelling, this is where hell begins, it takes about 2 hours to render simple Vray scene with a very few caustics.

Most of my games are taking quite a while to load.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah, definitely check your system out properly first.
    Look at CPU temperatures.
    Do a few benchmarks of different components like the read/write speed of a large file transfer across SATA devices, memory tests etc.

I don't know what you mean by lagging, is the frame rate dropping or is there input lag? Could it be related to Vsync being force enabled in the GPU control panel?

GeForce Experience should detect playable settings for most modern games, if these settings lead to lag then you've got an issue.

5uspect wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely check your system out properly first.
    Look at CPU temperatures.
    Do a few benchmarks of different components like the read/write speed of a large file transfer across SATA devices, memory tests etc.

I don't know what you mean by lagging, is the frame rate dropping or is there input lag? Could it be related to Vsync being force enabled in the GPU control panel?

GeForce Experience should detect playable settings for most modern games, if these settings lead to lag then you've got an issue.

I would even say it's not lag or frame drop, it's just literally Game pause and game unpause.

Game freezes/pauses

Even with an I3 processor Crysis 3 is pretty bad

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html

There's a big difference though between medicore FPS and actually experiencing freezes. The G860 isn't that bad and close enough to a lower end i3 in most games. I've played loads of games on a G1610 Celeron and they all ran fine. Your whole system freezing up for several seconds during a game isn't anything CPU related.

The same argument made against a Core2Duo vs a Pentium 4 in my thread of 2007. It made sense for games in 2007 to get a P4. By 2010 the oppossite was true, and in the latter half of my laptop's life cycle, the Core2Duo proved its value. It still functions today as a competent HTPC, whereas if I had gotten a single core I'd have recycled it a while ago. So come 2014 my stance is the same: Games might be optimized for 2-4 cores now, but as time progresses they will take advantage of more and more cores. You can either play, for analogy, Games at max settings for x years or play games at High settings for x+y years, which tends to be a derivative of worth.

Right, what's better: 3770k or 3770 + 60 GB SSD?
    I assume there is no point in overclocking CPU if I am not getting some ****-ass-big cooler?

Overheal wrote: »
    The same argument made against a Core2Duo vs a Pentium 4 in my thread of 2007.

I think you're a few years off there!

Firstly, because in 2007 Pentium 4 was a dreadful processor for any sort of new build, and secondly, because Core 2's single thread performance was twice as fast as P4 anyway, so multi-core didn't even really come into it, Core 2 was just astoundingly effective compared to both Intel and AMD's other CPU's. Even before Core 2 was released, gamers were mostly AMD because their CPU's were far better, I can't think of any time after 2003ish that Pentium 4's would have been a gamers choice.

The last gaming P4 I bought was in 2003, replaced by a Core 2 in 2006.

Core 2 is still very efficient - I've run Bioshock Infinite on a E6550 fine. There was a good article on one of the sites recently that ran modern games with a high end card and old launch Core 2's, including the 2.13Ghz E6400 - a lot of the games actually still ran OK, which really surprised me on low a low clocked older cpu. BF4 single player is another one that runs almost identical on old Core 2's as it does on i7's when paired with a strong card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think you're a few years off there!

Firstly, because in 2007 Pentium 4 was a dreadful processor for any sort of new build, and secondly, because Core 2's single thread performance was twice as fast as P4 anyway, so multi-core didn't even really come into it, Core 2 was just astoundingly effective compared to both Intel and AMD's other CPU's. Even before Core 2 was released, gamers were mostly AMD because their CPU's were far better, I can't think of any time after 2003ish that Pentium 4's would have been a gamers choice.

The last gaming P4 I bought was in 2003, replaced by a Core 2 in 2006.

Core 2 is still very efficient - I've run Bioshock Infinite on a E6550 fine. There was a good article on one of the sites recently that ran modern games with a high end card and old launch Core 2's, including the 2.13Ghz E6400 - a lot of the games actually still ran OK, which really surprised me on low a low clocked older cpu. BF4 single player is another one that runs almost identical on old Core 2's as it does on i7's when paired with a strong card.
    I had a Pentium D CPU, this came before the Core2 ones iirc. It was rubbish. Remember upgrading to a Core2Quad and the difference was massive! The Pentium Ds were slower than the high end P4s from memory, even though they were dual core.

Nick

• Advertisement

The Pentium D's were available in high clocked variants but they were rare enough, most common was the ones clocked at 2.8Ghz and 3Ghz, which were pretty crappy, and power hungry and hot running. No-one in their right mind would have chosen one over an X2 processor. I went back from the E6400 (2.13Ghz) to the Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz), framerate in COD4 was cut in half.

Advertisement