Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork

Options
  • 29-05-2014 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm looking for some local advice please :)

For rental searches/house shares is Daft.ie or Myhome.ie the best place to search?

I'm mid 30's and don't want to end up in a student area but still need somewhere with low rent (<€400pm)

Are there any areas that fit that criteria and be accessible to Mahon or am I dreaming?? I'm not familiar with Cork at all unfortunately.

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Depends a lot on where you are working / if you have a car and whether you are aiming for a house share.

If you are working in Mahon, then there should be plenty of rental houses. You won't be near any students as both UCC and CIT are on completely the opposite side of the city.

Areas you should be looking at for Mahon would be Mahon, Blackrock, Ballintemple, Ballinlough and the Well Road side of Douglas. Some would say that Mahon is a bit rough but the other areas are all middle class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

You'll probably see plenty of accommodation availability for Jacob's Island which is nearby and serviced by public transport but the access by car is restricted to one road so it does suffer from major traffic congestion during peak times which might be a determining factor. Blackrock, Beaumont and some of the other accommodation in Mahon could be ideal for you location wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

First of all welcome. Securing accommodation at the moment can be difficult. Daft.ie and Myhome.ie are definitely the best but for €400 per month you are probably looking at house/flat sharing on the Southside.
    Blackrock, Ballintemple, Ballinlough are expensive to rent in so Jacobs Island would probably be your best bet as it is in walking distance of Mahon Point.

Its a good city with plenty of events for its size.
    See some sites here on things to do in Cork;

http://www.corkmidsummer.com/news/article/cork-midsummer-festival-2014

http://www.whazon.com/

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/eventguide/

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/festivals/live-at-the-marquee-cork.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RICH KID

I always use Daft.ie , most if not all agents advertise here..

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

€400? You might get a room for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

If you're working Mahon and need to rely on public transport.... The main bus route (the 215) travels from the city centre, through Southern Road, Douglas Road, turns off on to Ballinlough Road, turns off on to the Skehard Road, finally going down the Link Road in to Mahon. Use Google Maps to find the streets and trace the route.

There are some nice areas around Douglas Road, Evergreen Road, Boreenmanna Road that are walking distance to town and near that bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'd a quick look on daft re hosue sharing for less than 400pm. There doesnt seem to be much going nearby. As Bacchus says if ya get somewhere along the bus route you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,223 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It really is not hard to find a place, just more trying find the right place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Daenarys

And I'm hoping finding the right place for that rent isn't too hard. My salary will be much lower than Dublin so I was hoping for lower rent too but the rumour mill is saying it's nearly the same as Dublin so that's why I was looking for local advice!

Thanks all, very helpful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

No way the rent will be the same as in Dublin. There will be variations in price in different areas of Cork but it'll be on a lower scale than what you see in Dublin.

€400 should get you a decent place in a house share. Need I state the obvious that the closer you get to the city centre or nice areas such as Blackrock, the more expensive it's going to get. Just keep crawling through Daft and if you have any questions on specific areas pop back and ask.

One thing I know from renting in Cork though is, there is some amount of bad rental properties about that just aren't maintained well. It can be a bit tricky weeding those out and finding the good ones. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

If you need a place on a bus route to Mahon, consider the 219 route as well. It's a South-orbital route that loops around from Mahon in the East to Bishopstown in the West. That might open up other options for you. It's not that frequent (only 12 runs a day) but you'd only be using it to get to/from work, and use the other routes to get into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

If you're budget is €400, you'll definitely be looking at a house share. If you're really lucky you may find a small 1-bed apartment around the edge of the city or out in Cobh/Passage West.

Definitely use Daft.ie, 99% of rental agents use it and quite a few private ads. You'll also find a few old-fashioned landlords still use newspapers only. Check out the local papers and you'll probably find a few low-cost rents around, though my experience tells me they're usually poor quality.

Oh, and most important of all: Avoid Choices letting agency (search boards.ie and google so see why).

---
    If I might be so bold and plug my bus thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057213615 < there you'll find a few bus routes with every stop. Not being a Corkonian myself I found Bus Eireann's system pretty poor and place names confusing (like why is "Ballinlough" nowhere near the Lough? :D )

Advertisement