Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts NUIM

• 29-05-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hey guys.. So I'm doing my leaving cert this year and I was considering doing Arts in NUIM next year. I think I want to be a teacher when I'm older but I am undecided between secondary and primary so I think Arts could be the best way to go. My problem is the subjects I should choose. Business, Maths, Nua Gaeilge, Music, Pyschology and Law all appeal to me. At the moment I have nua gaelige and music at the top of my list. I'm afraid that Irish could be too difficult for me. I have a great interest in it and I do enjoy it but I find the grammar difficult. I don't go to an Irish speaking school nor have I been at the Gaeltacht so I'm worried my standard of Irish would not be high enough. I'm hoping to get a B in the LC in Irish. I also think Irish would be very beneficial for Primary teaching. Anyone with any advice on the standard of Irish needed would be greatly appreciated! Also seriously considering music as a subject. I enjoy music at school and I play the piano. What is music like in NUIM? I don't sing, would that be a problem? Is the music like Leaving Cert music? I'm aiming for a high B in the LC. As well as that I have been looking into maths. I find maths a bit hard but I do enjoy it. I'm at a C at higher level at school. Is the maths very difficult compared to the Leaving Cert? Any advice on business, psychology and law would also be very greatly appreciated! I'm really confused about this whole situation. Everyone keeps putting me off arts saying its a useless degree but I don't know. Also what is NUIM like as a college? Thanks in advance for all your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 areh

you don't have to choose your subjects in art nuim till september

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SineadM579

I'm a first year Arts student in NUIM doing English, Irish and French and I find Irish manageable enough especially from a grammar point of view. They go through everything with you from the basics and my grammar's improved loads :) There's two modules - grammar and literature. Literature can be hard but if you go to the lectures and don't leave study til the last minute (like me!) you'd be grand! Forget what people are saying about arts not being a good degree, if you're looking at teaching it's the only way to go. It is only 14 hours a week so a lot of the work you have to do on your own which is a bit of a shock to the system at first but you get used to it! If you're looking at secondary teaching, you apply for the H. Dip based on your results in second year. As for primary, Irish is definitely one to have. And being able to play music is a good asset for a primary teacher to have :) I don't know much about Music in Maynooth, I switched out of it a week into the semester (you have the option to switch subjects up to the end of October so you can give everything a try) but it's a lot of music history in first year I think. You can get individual lessons for free if you do music, or else free group piano which is good for learning how to accompany choirs and stuff (teaching again). Ammm that's pretty much it, Maynooth is nice as well, friendly and a nice size I think :)

Advertisement