Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuous Working Visa

Options
  • 29-05-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello,

After having a successful Skype interview for a job in Sydney, I need to sort a visa. Not a holiday visa but one involving continuous work for one year and can be extended yearly after that.

Where can I apply for this visa?

How long does it usually take?

How much does it cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Is the job willing to sponsor you?

If you go to the australian immigration website they have a visa wizard to bel you find a visa that suits your needs. Start there.

At a minimum you could come out on a working holiday visa giving you a 6 month limit to work with any 1 company. They could use this time to see if they are willing to sponsor you then and switch to the 457 (sponsorship) visa.

If you have a desirable skill/qualification you can apply by those means but its a long and expensive process to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 flyer2oo8

Thank you Pete, so it looks like I will need 'Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)' for my contract position.

Any idea how long the application takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

flyer2oo8 wrote: »
    Thank you Pete, so it looks like I will need 'Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)' for my contract position.

Have the company agreed to sponsor you? You cannot get this visa without the company agreeing to sponsor you. As regards how long it will take this varies from anything between a couple of weeks and a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Do you meet the Criteria to be sponsored?
    Does the employer meet the Criteria to sponsor?
    Does the occupation meet the Criteria?
    Does the employer meet the training Benchmarks?
    Is the employer willing to cover all the costs to sponsor?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Do you meet the Criteria to be sponsored?
    1. Does the employer meet the Criteria to sponsor?
    2. Does the occupation meet the Criteria?
    3. Does the employer meet the training Benchmarks?
    4. Is the employer willing to cover all the costs to sponsor?

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. I have the whole skill set for the job but yes.
    4. I noticed this visa is on the order of €750. What other costs are there?

I was thinking, is it possible to get a 1 year working-holiday visa, and in the meantime whilst I am working, apply for the 'Temporary Work (Skilled) visa'? They will sponsor me and it is a huge biomedical research facility.

• Advertisement

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. I have the whole skill set for the job but yes.
    4. I noticed this visa is on the order of €750. What other costs are there?

I was thinking, is it possible to get a 1 year working-holiday visa, and in the meantime whilst I am working, apply for the 'Temporary Work (Skilled) visa'? They will sponsor me and it is a huge biomedical research facility.

Training benchmarks don't actually refer to you. In order to sponsor people a company has to set aside a certain amount for the provision of training for employees. The cost of the visa is $1035 from the immigration website. The employer is supposed to pay this. If you use an agent this will be an additional( and probably the biggest) cost. If you are under 31 and not bringing any dependants with you then you can get a working holiday visa but you are only allowed to work for a maximum of 6 months with the same employer on this visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

aido79 wrote: »
    The cost of the visa is $1035 from the immigration website. The employer is supposed to pay this. If you use an agent this will be an additional( and probably the biggest) cost. If you are under 31 and not bringing any dependants with you then you can get a working holiday visa but you are only allowed to work for a maximum of 6 months with the same employer on this visa.

Actually the employer does not have to pay for the visa itself as that is applicant specific. If the applicant moves employers they take the visa with them, so the employers does not have to pay for the visa but sometimes they do.

But the SBS Registration, Nomination and Agent fees have to be paid by the employer.

Also consideration for the provision of flights home and wether the employer has attained the training benchmarks which all come down to a $$ figure.

None of these costs can be passed on to the Applicants.

OP obviously the employer knows that you need a visa, you need a written job offer from them indicating what help they are going provide when it comes to visas. As already suggested go on a WHV but you have be open about the 6 months limitation from the start.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Actually the employer does not have to pay for the visa itself as that is applicant specific. If the applicant moves employers they take the visa with them, so the employers does not have to pay for the visa but sometimes they do.

But the SBS Registration, Nomination and Agent fees have to be paid by the employer.

Also consideration for the provision of flights home and wether the employer has attained the training benchmarks which all come down to a $$ figure.

None of these costs can be passed on to the Applicants.

OP obviously the employer knows that you need a visa, you need a written job offer from them indicating what help they are going provide when it comes to visas. As already suggested go on a WHV but you have be open about the 6 months limitation from the start.

Thanks for the corrections Mandrake. OP obviously hasn't done much research on visas since they started applying for jobs in Australia 5 months ago. I would've thought knowing if you can get a visa would take priorty over getting a job.

aido79 wrote: »
    OP obviously hasn't done much research on visas since they started applying for jobs in Australia 5 months ago. I would've thought knowing if you can get a visa would take priorty over getting a job.

I don't see any reason as they why I could not get a visa. I was just unsure of which one I required. I have no criminal convictions, I am a healthy and physically fit individual under 30 yrs of age with several years experience in a sought after field with all the relevant qualifications required for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I don't see any reason as they why I could not get a visa. I was just unsure of which one I required. I have no criminal convictions, I am a healthy and physically fit individual under 30 yrs of age with several years experience in a sought after field with all the relevant qualifications required for the role.

How do you know it's a sought after field if you haven't researched visas?

• Advertisement

Batgurl wrote: »
    How do you know it's a sought after field if you haven't researched visas?

Well, as I said, I was contacted by the facility asking if I was interested because they had the position advertised over there and they could not find a suitable candidate and that my profile matched closely with the role. And the last time I checked, the medical field was listed in the skill set in the requirements on the Australian Immigration website.

Well, as I said, I was contacted by the facility asking if I was interested because they had the position advertised over there and they could not find a suitable candidate and that my profile matched closely with the role. And the last time I checked, the medical field was listed in the skill set in the requirements on the Australian Immigration website.

Ok. Have you figured out what type of visa you are going to apply for? Have the company actually said that they will sponsor you? Most companies are clueless when it comes to visas and will almost always go through an agent unless you are willing to do the paperwork yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody is saying that you cannot get some sort of visa.

The issue is that the visa you described in the OP doesn't exist.
    I need to sort a visa. Not a holiday visa but one involving continuous work for one year and can be extended yearly after that.
    No such visa exists.
    You are describing a cross between WHV and 457. The issues with both have been outlined above.

WHV - 6 months limitation, at that stage you must lodge a 457 or PR visa.
    457 - you need to be sponsored for this visa. See issue outlined by mandrake above.

You said that the meet the conditions to sponsor you, the training benchmarks and that they will sponsor you. How do you know this?
    Have you any idea what the conditions and benchmarks are? Have they actually said they'll sponsor you?
    You need to find out all of those answers first.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Your employer needs to take the reins on this. If it's a one year contract (assumption made) then logically you need a 457 visa. If they are a huge biomedical research facility they must have some sort of administrative staff to organise it for you.

I have no doubt your occupation is on the list for 457 sponsorship. I should hope so - hell, homeopath is even on it.

Advertisement