Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in blackrock

Options
  • 29-05-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I have recently been accepted into college in Blackrock (formerly dun laoghaire) commencing in Sept. I am a mature student and mum of 4 living in Meath. I am panicking already thinking about parking. Is there all day parking anywhere in Blackrock?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Millpull wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have recently been accepted into college in Blackrock (formerly dun laoghaire) commencing in Sept. I am a mature student and mum of 4 living in Meath. I am panicking already thinking about parking. Is there all day parking anywhere in Blackrock?

Where is the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Where is the college?

OP mentioned 'formerly Dun Laoghaire' so it must be the relocated Senior College which is moving to a brand new building on the main st. which incorporates the old Blackrock fire station, Carnegie library and town hall, the premises was formerly the Blackrock library.

Here it is just before the building work started. It's finished now so must be opening in September for the new academic year.

http://goo.gl/maps/Mesuk

Parking is available on that street but it's pay and display, the only all day parking that I'm aware of in the village that is not based on time is the little car park opposite the Dart station but I'm fairly sure it fills up before 8 a.m. There's also a small car park up beside Eagle Star with an entrance on Carysfort Ave. opp the Permanent TSB building, not sure how it charges. I think there's free parking in the upper section of Carysfort Ave. but you may be competing with students from the Smurfit college and people working in local offices, see the cars parked on the right here... http://goo.gl/maps/c7zRW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ooh, close to the Dart. Parking won't be cheap.

How much is frascati, they might do a day rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you get there early enough, you can park on Carysfort Avenue, south of the Convent Road junction for free. A lot of working people in Blackrock would do that. From there its about 12-15 minute walk to the College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If you get there early enough, you can park on Carysfort Avenue, south of the Convent Road junction for free. A lot of working people in Blackrock would do that. From there its about 12-15 minute walk to the College.

Yup, or even in Castlethorn estate. Although its only a matter of time before something is done here as residents are fed up with people parking by the green. Frascati used to do a daily rate years ago when I was a lad working in Blackrock but not sure anymore, as the security guards they are very friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Must you drive?
    Dart really *is* the handiest way to access Blackrock. Parking is charged almost everywhere (and they do enforce it) and still your car would be standing there costing money while you are in college - public transport options are plentiful and really well worth it for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There is plenty of parking for free if you are willing to walk 20 mins or so, apart from that blackjack has nowhere really to park for free I would suggest you do a run out there one day soon to get your bearings. There is some free parking on turn offs on the way toward monkstown but its a bit of a stroll. If you can do use public transport it would be a much better option if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You can park at the dart station all day for around €6.50. You can sign up to the park by text and I think you get a small discount .

Millem wrote: »
    You can park at the dart station all day for around €6.50. You can sign up to the park by text and I think you get a small discount .

That car park is mainly used by commuters who work in town and it's typically full long before the college would be starting lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

coylemj wrote: »
    That car park is mainly used by commuters who work in town and it's typically full long before the college would be starting lectures.

I parked there a good bit this summer and it didn't start filling till 8 and after. If OP was commuting they would be probably arriving before 8 anyway to beat the traffic?

• Advertisement

I parked there a good bit this summer and it didn't start filling till 8 and after.

In the summer (1) schools and colleges are all off (2) some people are away on holidays and (3) a lot of commuters take to the bike. All of which means less demand for that car park. In the winter it will be full much earlier each morning.
    If OP was commuting they would be probably arriving before 8 anyway to beat the traffic?

Possibly but if his first lecture is not until 10 or later he'd be able to travel after 9 and beat the traffic.

Advertisement