Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5,000-year-old standing stone vandalised in Meath

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm so disgusted and angry about this. Tara is one of my favourite places. I don't go very often but I love the peace of it and the fact that it is always 'open', there is nothing stopping you from going in for a visit whenever you like, Incidents like this however will lead to it being fenced in, then there will be tickets and charges and God knows what. What do people even get out of doing something like this?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Words fail me ....

tone.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

---
    Laa robói Cond i Temraig íar ndíoth dona rígaib atracht matin moch for rígráith na Temrach ría turcbáil gréine & a trí drúith aróen ris .i. Maol, Bloc, Bluicne, et a trii filid .i. Ethain, Corb, Cesarn . Fodégh attraiged-siom cach día in líon sen do airdéxin arná gabdaois fir síde for Érind cen airiugud dó-som.

In dú dia n-dechaid som dogrés co tarlaic cloich and foa cosaib & saltrais fuirri. Rogés an cloch fo cosaib co clos fo Temraig uili & fo Bregaib .

Is andsin ro-íarfacht Conn dia drúdib cid arusgés an cloch, cia hainm & can do-raladh & no-ragadh & cid ro-taraill Temraigh. Is ed idbert an drái fri Conn ní slondad dó co cend cóicat laithi & a trí . In tan ro-cindiod an áiriom sin, ru-s-íarfacht Conn don draí afrídhisi .

Is ann adbert an drái: ‘Fál anmaim na cloche’ , ‘Inis Foail asa tardad , Temair Tíri Fáil i forromadh , Tír Taillten a n-airisfe co bráth. Et is í an tír sen bus óenach cluiche cén uhes flaithios a Temraig & lá dédinach an aonaigh in flaith nachus fáigfi , bid trú isan bliadain sin. Ro-gés fál foat cosaib-se anniú’, ol in drái, ‘& do-r-airngert. An lín gairm ro-gés an cloch, is ed líon ríg bías dot síol co bráth.’ ‘Ní ba mé nod-sloindfe det,’ ol in drái .
    ---

One day Conn was in Tara, after overthrowing the kings. Early in the morning he went up onto the royal rampart of Tara, before sunrise, together with his three druids, Mael and Bloc and Bluicne, and his three filid [poets], Ethain and Corb and Cesarn. For that company used to arise every day to keep watch, lest the men of the sídhe [fairies; Tuatha de Dannan] capture Ireland without his noticing.

It is onto the rampart that he used always to go; and he chanced upon a stone beneath his feet and trod upon it. The stone cried out beneath his feet, so that it was heard throughout all Tara, and throughout Brega. Then Conn asked his druids why the stone had cried out, what was its name, whence it had come and whither it would go, and why it had come to Tara. The druid said to Conn that he would not name it to him until fifty-three days had passed. When that number was complete, Conn asked the druid again.

Then the druid said: "Fáil is the name of the stone. It is the island of Fáil from which it was brought. It is in Tara of the land of Fáil that it has been placed. It is in the land of Tailtiu that it will remain until the Day of Judgment. And it is in that land that there will be a festive assembly for as long as there is kingship in Tara; and the ruler who does not find it [or leave it?] on the last day of the assembly will be a doomed man in that year. Fáil cried out beneath your feet today," said the druid, "and prophesied. The number of cries which the stone uttered is the number of kings that there will be of your race until the Day of Judgment. It is not I who will name them to you," said the druid.

---

Advertisement