Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Trout 2014

Options
  • 29-05-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

Any reports of sea trout around yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I got one 3/4 of a pound at the start of the month.They usually don't start running in my river till July so was very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ive heard reports of seatrout in east Cork. I tried my usual river in south kerry last weekend and didn't see any - i was there late evening and just after high tide. I wasnt expecting to catch any but more see them splashing about one they hit the fresh water. Nothing doing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Seen a few in a small stream not too far from where I work In east cork I go down for my lunch some days

Had 2 salmon and a couple of sea trout 1-3 lb last year from the same stream , you would nearly jump over it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Where in East Cork? Midleton?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Don't want to reveal too much as not many people fish it being honest but it's not too far from midleton

The river in midleton itself is also a great cast but gets a bit of a hammering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

popsy09 wrote: »
    Don't want to reveal too much as not many people fish it being honest but it's not too far from midleton

The river in midleton itself is also a great cast but gets a bit of a hammering

No worries, cheers..

Wonder if there's any sea trout in Fanisk bridge, near Killeagh? It used to be great many years ago (25+), but don't know what happened the place. Could never catch anything there, but haven't fished it in over 15 years. Lovely river mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I was walking by a small river in Cork last weekend and spooked either a sea trout or a very large brownie - couldn't make out which.

A lot of rain fell today and more forecast with intense heavy showers. If they're waiting in estuaries they'll be running very soon.

Hoping to get out this week again.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Got a few around 3lbs on the illen over the weekend on spinner plenty of them in the river now

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Gonna head out in the next few days, some massive fish being caught and lost at the moment here in kerry... I love the summer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Gonna head out in the next few days, some massive fish being caught and lost at the moment here in kerry... I love the summer...

What river are you fishing dan?

slaneylad wrote: »
    What river are you fishing dan?

Gonna give the Maine a bash and the laune...

I have been sea fishing like a mad thing over the last two years so its back to the river for the summer...

I have heard through the grapevine of a fish well over 20lb being lost in the locality.. Also there was a fish 20lb caught in the laune...

Mates of mine have caught plenty salmon all the way through from January.. Just from talking the lads it looks the best year in a long time...

Haven't been out at all yet, so I gonna remedy that from here till September..

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

Gonna give the Maine a bash and the laune...

Mates of mine have caught plenty salmon all the way through from January.. Just from talking the lads it looks the best year in a long time...

Haven't been out at all yet, so I gonna remedy that from here till September..

The same can be said for the Slaney, best year in a long time plenty of fish in the river, looks like catch and release and the removal of the nets have helped the Salmon stocks recover a good but this year.

Thank god... Salmon deserve to be looked after properly, a mighty fish...

I heard a rumour from a very reliable source of an 8.5lb seatrout taken from a river in east cork

SeaFields wrote: »
    I heard a rumour from a very reliable source of an 8.5lb seatrout taken from a river in east cork

Yes and i heard from a very reliable source of a 16lb sea trout caught in brandon... Also another story i heard and people gonna think i am telling tall tales here, but as far as i know its the truth a fish over thirty pound (salmon) lost in a river on the dingle peninsula...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Saw a lovely 8-10lb'er jumping in the Shannon estuary last week

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

There was 22lb salmon caught on a lure at Lough Currane, Waterville last week so there are big fish about.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

SeaFields wrote: »

I heard from a buddy who I fish with that his friend caught one that weighed the exact same weight 8.5lbs but he said they caught it off a boat by Camden
    Cud it be the same fish
    Any photos taken do u know?

realrebel wrote: »
    Cud it be the same fish
    Any photos taken do u know?

No this was definitely in a river. I know the river well myself. Nice fish off Camden. I've often heard of seatrout taken there actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Yes and i heard from a very reliable source of a 16lb sea trout caught in brandon... Also another story i heard and people gonna think i am telling tall tales here, but as far as i know its the truth a fish over thirty pound (salmon) lost in a river on the dingle peninsula...

The only river on the dingle peninsula of any note for salmon is the Owenmore in Cloughane and a double digit salmon from this river are few and far between not to mention a 30lb'r.

Most of the other salmon run rivers on the peninsula such as the like of Annascaul, Aughacasla, Milltown,Fionnach are very much spate rivers and usually only achieve a handful of fish each year to peal size but can be very productive for seatrout on the flood.

I have fished these rivers for many, many years and have never come across a fish of anywhere near the 30lb range, but fingers crossed we live in hope.

The only river on the dingle peninsula of any note for salmon is the Owenmore in Cloughane and a double digit salmon from this river are few and far between not to mention a 30lb'r.

Most of the other salmon run rivers on the peninsula such as the like of Annascaul, Aughacasla, Milltown,Fionnach are very much spate rivers and usually only achieve a handful of fish each year to peal size but can be very productive for seatrout on the flood.

I have fished these rivers for many, many years and have never come across a fish of anywhere near the 30lb range, but fingers crossed we live in hope.

I completely respect that you actually know your way around the peninsula...

You have mentioned some great little rivers there and you are 100% right they are all spate rivers...

Also you didn't mention other rivers like the scroid which runs out of loch an dun, the glenahoo/mochnabo river system and the inch river system...

Now one thing i do know, is that all these rivers are underrated, under fished and have no protection or management whatsoever....

The angler who i know for a long time through a mate, he is middle-aged man and also a well respected bass and salmon angler... He basically said that i know you are not gonna believe me but this what happened he hooked the fish and he knew in his heart there was no way he could land it, 3 feet in length and it could not fit in the net, the spinner got caught in the net and the fish was bye bye...

The river was not the owenmore....

Now lets take the glenahoo river which i call the mochnaboo river also, last year some monster fish were caught there... Both salmon and sea trout...

I just think its a very big statement saying that only a handful of salmon of peal size run these rivers... You are right they all get great runs of sea trout during floods, a couple of years back in the anascual river i could have literally walked across the sea trout in the anascual river during a small flood in august...

The biggest problem with these rivers is the blatant poaching that is going on. I was on Milltown river a few weeks and came across two young fella's only about 13yrs of age and they had a net across the river, no more then 150yrs from Milltown bridge. I walked up on them as they were taking a fish from the net and took a few pics catching them on the act.

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/TheCeltictiger/slideshow/

The biggest problem with these rivers is the blatant poaching that is going on. I was on Milltown river a few weeks and came across two young fella's only about 13yrs of age and they had a net across the river, no more then 150yrs from Milltown bridge. I walked up on them as they were taking a fish from the net and took a few pics catching them on the act.

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/TheCeltictiger/slideshow/

Unreal.... never seen noting like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you reported this?

Have you reported this?

I did not report this as seeing that they were such a young age no prosecution would come out of it. Ido have their names and some video footage of them at work.

I have cut away numerous nets from many rivers on the Dingle peninsula but this was the first time that i caught someone redhanded.

The level of netting that goes on in these rivers is shameful.

I did not report this as seeing that they were such a young age no prosecution would come out of it. Ido have their names and some video footage of them at work.

I have cut away numerous nets from many rivers on the Dingle peninsula but this was the first time that i caught someone redhanded.

The level of netting that goes on in these rivers is shameful.

Finally someone speaking some reality, i just we prob the only two people actually fishing the rivers..

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hopefully the blast of rain we just had will bring fish up

I don't know will it need to rain really heavy.... gonna check some rivers later but here in Kerry I think the rain was very hit and miss... not enough I think.. maybe I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mirrors

Anyone caught anything in the flesk?

Advertisement