Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long iPhone cable

• 29-05-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Where is the best place to purchase a longer iPhone lighting bolt cable? Online/Retail both are good. Would be looking for 2/3 meter cable.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I don't know where you are based, but I got a Belkin 2M cable from CompuB in Dundrum. Very, very handy and don't know how I survived with the shorter cable before it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GrewUS

BDJW wrote: »
    I don't know where you are based, but I got a Belkin 2M cable from CompuB in Dundrum. Very, very handy and don't know how I survived with the shorter cable before it!

Great! How much did it cost? CompuB would be handy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I can't remember to be honest, but I THINK it was €29

BDJW wrote: »
    I can't remember to be honest, but I THINK it was €29

Not bad :)

Will pick one up soon.
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tesco have 3m ones for around €32, which is crazy. You could get a usb extender in €uro city for €2, mightn't be the best quality cable and have a slight voltage drop but shouldn't have any effect bar a slightly longer charging time.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Tesco have 3m ones for around €32, which is crazy. You could get a usb extender in €uro city for €2, mightn't be the best quality cable and have a slight voltage drop but shouldn't have any effect bar a slightly longer charging time.
    What brand are the ones in Tesco? Are they official apple cables?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Groupon doing a deal at the moment i believe

Groupon doing a deal at the moment i believe

Tenner for 5 meter cable are they safe? Could swear I read a story on boards about a dodgy cable from groupon

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

GrewUS wrote: »
    Tenner for 5 meter cable are they safe? Could swear I read a story on boards about a dodgy cable from groupon

Both my friend and I bought Lightning cables in one of those deals. (not sure if it was groupon or livingsocial) Mine failed after 5 weeks, first the pc refused to recognise the phone was connected, then refusing to charge the phone. Her's died about 3 weeks after.

Better off getting an official one or a recognised brand. I've 2 official Apple ones (one in work & home) and had no problems to date with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Worst case scenario the cable breaks, proper USB ports have short circuit protection, very unlikely the port or phone will be damaged if the cable shorts.

Edit: proper USB ports SHOULD have over current protection, unfortunately a lot don't. However with most cables a short condition is incredibly rare unless you go messing with the connector. Most likely the cable will shear completely (safe) before there's a risk of a short. You'd also notice the cable wear that would come before this.

Apple cables are actually more susceptible to wear and damage than a lot of after market ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I got a 3m in PC world for €14.99 really thick cable as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

I bought a 2 metre one from eurocity for €2 and works fine, but does take longer to charge than the official short cable.

Advertisement