Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Module 5 Progression....

Options
  • 29-05-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

......and the best way to go about it.

I have an 'A' Learner Permit. But when I did my IBT (over a year ago) the ISM instructor reckoned I wouldnt be able for the 600cc bike and so I ended up doing the IBT on a 500cc bike and have an 'A2' IBT. In fairness I had never been on a bike before and was willing to take his advice.

Now I'm looking at booking my test to get my full license.

Thing is I've been eyeing 600cc bikes for a while now and would really like to move in that direction.

Whats the best/cheapest way to do this?

Correct my logic below if i'm wrong but are these the 2 options?
    1. Do 'A2' test - €85, get 'A2' license - €35, do progression Module 5 - Costing €300, apply/upgrade to full 'A' license - Costing another €35?
    Total - €455

Or can I
    2. Do progression Module 5 now - Costing €300 (enabling my leanrer permit to 'A' status instead of 'A2'), sit full 'A' test - Cost €85, get full A license- €35?
    Total - €420

Are these both valid routes?

Also can someone explain how its half the cost of my initial IBT to re-sit certain parts of Module 5 again? Seems like a complete money racket!!

When i looked into booking my full test it listed my learner permit as just 'A'. I kind of assumed that this would be updated based on whatever form has been sent in by the ISM?? Could I rock up on a 600cc bike and just do the test??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do the module 5 because you have the Cat :A, learner permit.
    I could understand it if he only gave you an A1 (125cc) ibt cert, but there is not much difference between a 500cc bike(a2) and a 600cc bike(A).

There are other instructors who will put an extra effort in to getting you up to standard for cat A.

If your cert says A2, then the rsa will have A2 in their system, so you are restricted to 35kw.
    If you want to do a test on cat A (unrestricted) you will have to contact an ibt instructor first and give your details so he can get a confirmation code from the rsa for the training to take place.
    Then you can complete module 5 (compound going around cones, and then public roads)
    You will then get another ibt cert for Cat A.
    The instructor will then send the copy of your cert to the rsa who will upgrade your details. You can then do a test on Cat A.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Do the module 5 because you have the Cat :A, learner permit.
    I could understand it if he only gave you an A1 (125cc) ibt cert, but there is not much difference between a 500cc bike(a2) and a 600cc bike(A).

There are other instructors who will put an extra effort in to getting you up to standard for cat A

As lookbehindyou said there's not much difference between the A2 & A so I don't understand the logic there. The only time we would give an A2 is if that's all they're allowed to ride by law.
    Anyway what he said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Thanks for the replies.

I'm 27 so was fully entitled to do the 'A' category. The 500cc bike he used was an ER500 and the 600cc one was a Bandit.

He said that 2 weeks previous he had someone drop the Bandit on him because they weren't able for it and i should be in no rush to get up to bigger bikes. I was petrified I'd drop it on him to so just agreed to staying on the ER500.

Any recommendations on a cheap place to the Module 5 progression before my test? Not too eager to give the ISM more money.... (

I'm based in Drumcondra)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lemonperv

I'm in the same position. Had to do A2 even though I'm over 24. I dropped the A bike - I'm a short girl so when it tipped a bit if I cut out, I couldn't keep the bike up.

The A2 bike was a cruiser so I could put both feet flat on the ground. Funnily enough, I dropped this once too! Bikes are just too heavy if I make a mistake. Wasn't good for confidence! Jesus, it was awful.

Now I'm starting to think that the stress of it got to me so I gave in and got through the IBT on the A2 cruiser.

Now I'm on my Ninja 250r which is quite tall for me but no real problems because I don't cut out anymore.

I'm terrified to go back to do my A category module 5 because I found someone judging me very stressful and difficult.

Best of luck, OP - I hope you get on well with it and that you share your experience with us!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I'm terrified to go back to do my A category module 5 because I found someone judging me very stressful and difficult.

You had a very bad instructor if you felt like that I am afraid.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You had a very bad instructor if you felt like that I am afraid.

I don't fully agree with that. I think it's more to do with my personality. When my confidence got low and I was under pressure, I performed less well than I'm used to. It was the first time that I felt my small physique had affected me and it psychologically made me feel like a small person just can't do the bike thing. Now I'm gaining experience on my own bike away from being 'judged', I know that's nonsense. I take my safety very seriously so, of course, the IBT did help me a lot.

But I don't think I can go back to that instructor even though I liked him a lot. I need a clean slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lemonperv wrote: »
    I don't fully agree with that. I think it's more to do with my personality. When my confidence got low and I was under pressure, I performed less well than I'm used to. It was the first time that I felt my small physique had affected me and it psychologically made me feel like a small person just can't do the bike thing. Now I'm gaining experience on my own bike away from being 'judged', I know that's nonsense. I take my safety very seriously so, of course, the IBT did help me a lot.

But I don't think I can go back to that instructor even though I liked him a lot. I need a clean slate.

Thats fine, but if the instructor was worth his salt he would have seen that you were uncomfortable and adjusted the training accordingly. He is paid to train individuals on a one to one basis and not every person will learn at the same rate. Being a female with small frame he should take that into consideration. Having said that its up to the rider to explain what he/she is struggling with and work on it together.

Yes, we discussed it and adjusted training to suit me better so now I can ride my own bike. So yay!

Next step, like OP, is to try do module 5 on cat A bike when I feel like I'm very comfortable on my smaller bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thats fine, but if the instructor was worth his salt he would have seen that you were uncomfortable and adjusted the training accordingly. He is paid to train individuals on a one to one basis and not every person will learn at the same rate. Being a female with small frame he should take that into consideration. Having said that its up to the rider to explain what he/she is struggling with and work on it together.

I think the thing that is annoying me most now is that I know if given more time i would have gotten the hang of a bigger bike.

He could have just said to spread it out over 2 weekends instead or added 1 or 2 evenings.

I got the vibe that he just wanted to do the bare minimum in order to make his money!
    Lemonperv wrote:
    Yes, we discussed it and adjusted training to suit me better so now I can ride my own bike. So yay!

Next step, like OP, is to try do module 5 on cat A bike when I feel like I'm very comfortable on my smaller bike.

I was terrified of dropping the bike so I can imagine how you felt! I'm only 5' 5" so was worried about being able to touch the ground. I've been on a Ninja for over a year now and have no issues with leg height!

Advertisement